Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

lmao oh god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aside from my glaring technical deficiencies, I thought tonight the stream sounded pretty good. Probably gonna out parts of because 20 minutes is just insanity and silence

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Rip Steve Albini

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

"DO IT!!!" Rorschach screams through his tears at a hestitant Dr. Manhattan perched on the top rope

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jerusalem, do you have any recommendations for doctor who’s 1 to 7 in terms of who to watch? I noticed it on Tubi so I want to give it a go.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

6+ hour Jeff Gerstmann Action 52 Stream Save Me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

6+ hour Jeff Gerstmann Action 52 Stream Save Me

i just finished it

TIME?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TV Zombie posted:

Jerusalem, do you have any recommendations for doctor who’s 1 to 7 in terms of who to watch? I noticed it on Tubi so I want to give it a go.

The first doctor is a delight and it gets better with each one imo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TheSwizzler posted:

Now live with some comforting Canadian Content - Matches start 9pm Eastern

Tonight:

-Lpzie and That DICK! Must face deathmatches against special guest opponents as part of the SAW World Title Tontine

-Vincent Van Goatse, braksgirl and Second Hand Meat Mouth debut!

-roxy defends the PYF Title against Megamissen

-I'm in a deathmatch against a special guest thanks to MacheteZombie, you son of a bitch I hate you

https://twitch.tv/tha_swizzler

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TV Zombie posted:

Keep in mind that Hartnell (1) and Troughton (2) stories are from the 1960s and each story was roughly six episodes long, designed to be watched a week apart. With that said, for my personal picks for a great insight into the character, major moments, and relatively easy watches are:

Hartnell:
The Aztecs - companions learn not to try and change history, the Doctor gets engaged!
The Dalek Invasion of Earth - alternate future dystopia about Daleks who have invaded... Earth!
The Romans - Pure farce, just delightful.
The War Machines - kind of a prototype of the 3rd Doctor stories that themselves set the prototype of modern Who episodes.
The Tenth Planet - The first "regeneration", intro of the Cybermen.

Troughton:
The Power of the Daleks - Animated reconstruction of Troughton's first story. First post-regeneration episode, an all-time classic.
The Tomb of the Cybermen - The Doctor tries to stop a cult of logicians reviving the Cybermen. The frankly racist portrayal of Toberman is a downer on an otherwise excellent episode.
The Mind Robber - Wonderfully surreal story about the Doctor trying to figure out how to escape the Land of Fiction, where attempts to make use of the ability to "write" events into reality put you in danger of weaving yourself into the story and becoming part of that world forever.
The Seeds of Death - One of my favorites, the Doctor discovers a future utopian Earth's system of allocating plentiful resources globally instantly is about to be hijacked by Martians.
The War Games - 10 episode epic to finish the 2nd Doctor's run, introduces the Time Lords and marks the transition from the Black and White era into the color Third Doctor era of Jon Pertwee.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctors 3 to 5 mark the height of the show's popularity. The Doctor becomes a much more focal character and starts to become better known within the universe and actively sought out by beings of power.

Pertwee:
Spearhead from Space - a soft reintroduction of the Doctor, filmed in color and - due to a strike happening at the time - on film, meaning it has a full HD version available. Introduces The Autons, which would go on to be used by RTD to reboot the show in 2005.
Inferno - The Doctor finds himself trapped in an alternate reality doomed to destruction, with his own reality potentially facing the same fate.
The Dæmons - Doctor Who does Quatermass, which is everything anybody could ever hope for.
The Three Doctors - the first multi-Doctor story, featuring the wonderful double-act of Troughton and Pertwee. Hartnell is sadly mostly sidelined due to his bad health at the time.
The Time Warrior - introduction of the Sontarans, from a time before they were the comedy relief of the revival.

Tom Baker:
Genesis of the Daleks - somewhat retconned into the opening hostile act of the Time War from the revival series. A classic about the Doctor being sent back to the origin point of the Daleks to stop them from ever being created. Introduces the character of Davros.
Terror of the Zygons - The Doctor discovers a race of shape-shifting aliens have infiltrated Earth. They have a Loch Ness Monster :3:
The Talons of Weng-Chiang - An incredibly great story about the Doctor in Victorian-era London that is also sadly astonishingly racist in its portrayal of the Chinese, including the main Chinese villain being a British dude in "Yellow Face"
Horror of Fang Rock - Wonderfully atmospheric story set on a lighthouse with a small core cast.
City of Death - Doctor Who may very well have been at its absolute apex here, a fantastic story set mostly in Paris featuring time travel, masterpieces of art, a man with green spaghetti for a face.
State of Decay - The Doctor vs. Space Vampires!

Peter Davison:
Snakedance - it's cheap and can't match budget to its big ideas, but this is still a great story about the seductive power of an ancient evil.
Mawdryn Undead - The Doctor travels between parallel versions of the same history, trying to reconcile two possible futures.
Enlightenment - Sailing ships in space!
The Five Doctors - A big stupid and over the top and very, very fun multi-Doctor story, albeit with Tom Baker played by stock footage and a wax dummy, and the late William Hartnell replaced by Richard Hurndall.
The Caves of Androzani - A fantastically grim story that is one of Davison's best, but also his last. He stated afterwards that if he'd had more stories this good, he would have stayed longer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctors 6 (Colin Baker) and 7 (Sylvester McCoy) mark where the show was starting to lose popularity, become far more associated with the painfully nerdy (moreso than before!), was looking increasingly cheap, and had the BBC seemingly actively working against them. There's still gold to be strained out of the muck, though.

Colin Baker:
Vengeance on Varos - After his first two stories were kind of disasters, this episode marks the first real look at the potential of Baker's Doctor, in a darker and more grimy universe that he angrily denounces, giving us some of what Colin Baker does best: get shouty.
The Two Doctors - the last of the "multi-Doctor" stories until the revival, features Six and Two (Troughton) running into each other in Spain while chasing down a Sontaran plot to unravel the secrets of time travel. Just great fun, the Six/Peri/Jamie combo just naturally slots together perfectly.

Sylvester McCoy:
Paradise Towers: - The Doctor finds himself in a fully automated space council tower where residents run in gangs, old ladies are serial killers, and Richard Briers hams it up magnificently.
Remembrance of the Daleks - The Doctor returns to the setting of the first ever Hartnell episode, putting into motion a complicated plan to have the Daleks wipe themselves out.
The Happiness Patrol - A thinly veiled anti-Thatcher/Conservative Government story.
Ghostlight - A roughly stitched together story that had far too much cut out to fit for time but is still oddly compelling, as the Doctor takes Ace back to the site of a "haunted house" that spooked her in her youth.
The Curse of Fenric - A great episode, the Doctor waltzes his way into a top secret military base during World War 2 and promptly forges authorization papers right in front of bemused scientists, as he tries to prevent an Ancient God destroying the world. That doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what happens in this story.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Thank you. So 3 to 5 if I’m pressed for time and then 1 to 2 with the other doctors being optional.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

A blessed Last FM Friday to my fellow goonpatriots. Here’s what I’ve been spinning this last week.

What’s everyone’s big weekend plans?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Tomorrow I'm visiting my sister in law for my niece's birthday. We got her a scooter I hope she likes it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

No big plans for the weekend I don’t think. Birthday dinner tonight for my partner’s dad, maybe thrifting or something tomorrow? I’m mostly excited to work on a website project I’ve been working on.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

NienNunb posted:

Going to my friends birthday party on Saturday night. Big event. I should be out of comission all of Sunday.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Going to a friends birthday party as well. We're going pottery painting first (didn't know this was a thing until recently) and then to the arcade :clint:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm on Rise of the Resistance right now and Niennunb is piloting and I'm worried if he notices I'm here he's gonna drive this thing into the side of a mountain......

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
here's what I've been listening to, on loop, in a room with no lights on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_UHV42jOA

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I listened to the new Frank Turner a lot this week.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i did not listen to any music this week

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MJeff posted:

I'm on Rise of the Resistance right now and Niennunb is piloting and I'm worried if he notices I'm here he's gonna drive this thing into the side of a mountain......

Lmfao. Are you at Land or World? If you’re at Land go on Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

lol. you know how ric flair says splash mountain for sex. thats you with mr toads wild ride

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That DICK! posted:

lol. you know how ric flair says splash mountain for sex. thats you with mr toads wild ride

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

That DICK! posted:

That’s Space Mountain you loving doofus. You clown, had it up to here with your poo poo

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

splash mountain makes more sense

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Two new episodes of Doctor Who this weekend, I've set up a complex series of death traps to prevent anybody from bothering me in real life or trying to communicate with me. I've been playing the long game by spending years making being in my physical presence a repellent concept :smug:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

TheSwizzler posted:

That’s Space Mountain you loving doofus. You clown, had it up to here with your poo poo

He was at the one yard line and couldn’t bring it home. Sad!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NienNunb posted:

Lmfao. Are you at Land or World? If you’re at Land go on Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.

Land. I did not go on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I'm sorry.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

First time I went on Space Mountain I was 5 and screaming my head off thinking we were going to get lost in there. My dad just sat me on his lap in the front seat and held onto me. The 80s were different.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I spent age 6 to 33 just constantly listening to music of all genres, i would say things like “music is everything to me”.

now i don’t listen to music at all, i have no idea why

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you should write an essay about being a wwe fan in 2024, that's a beautiful conclusion

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I spent age 6 to 33 just constantly listening to music of all genres, i would say things like “music is everything to me”.

now i don’t listen to music at all, i have no idea why

you should try it its good

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!

NienNunb posted:

My dad passed away a couple of months ago. This weekend, my brother, sister and I are starting the process of determining what to do with everything in Dad’s house before we sell it. Not looking forward to it, but it has to be done.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

here's what I've been listening to, on loop, in a room with no lights on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_UHV42jOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGUr6tl418
pierre's underrated hit imo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think they deleted mr. toad ride

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Who is back and it's the best, baby :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

im taking mom to a nice place that is too expensive tomorrow but its got great vibes and ive never been there so im excited, thats my weekend

also just gonna listen to the kenny beats boiler room over and over