Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sindai posted:

Where did this come from? I've wanted something like this forever but it's impossible to google

near the bottom of last page

e: page before last now I guess lol

LazyMaybe posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1cmg8nu/damage_is_still_not_what_you_think_how_explosive/

tl;dr: some enemy body parts are "durable", and weapons have both a regular damage value and a different damage value against durable parts.
Typical weapons have durable damage equal to around 10% of their normal damage, but harder hitting slower firing weapons often have more, and explosive weapons have very high durable damage.
This is further complicated by how parts may be partially durable. For instance brood commander head is 60% durable, so it takes 60% of a weapon's durable damage and 40% of its normal damage when hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Zwabu posted:

I am having a lot of missions crashing putting me back on my ship or crash to Windows desktop the last day or two. Is it just me? This game has always had the occasional crash but it's much more frequent for me right now.

Apologies if someone replied with this, but CTDs can sometimes be fixed by clearing out the shader cache.

Bandire posted:

Anyone crashing after extraction should delete their shader cache. After having almost no crashes since launch, poo poo was crashing every other extraction last Thursday and Friday. Deleting the shader cache (also removed and reinstalled the anticheat) fixed the post extraction crash for me.

How to find Shader Cache!
Step 1: Press Win+R
Step 2: enter %appdata% into the bar and hit run.
Step 3: Find the helldivers folder (might be labeled Arrowhead) and look for the Shaders file. Delete the entire thing
Step 4: Validate your files on steam (Right click game on steam --> installed files -->Verify integrity of game files)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm surprised anyone uses heavy armor... it feels so slow wearing it and i don't feel like they could tank to make it worth that sacrifice.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm surprised anyone uses heavy armor... it feels so slow wearing it and i don't feel like they could tank to make it worth that sacrifice.

Playing bots or bugs?

I never take it v bugs but do sometimes v bot.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Heavy armor with explosive reduction lets you wade through bots and missiles on like all difficulties. I usually run med-heavy against bots and light-med for bugs.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I use heavy armor and jetpacks but on the rare occasions I'm not bringing one, or if I'm fighting bugs, yeah, it feels too sluggish so I'll bring one of the medium armor grenade sets.

The extra limb health they keep stacking onto the heavy armor is nice to have.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I never use it but it is funny being able to face-tank the bot artillery towers with heavy armour

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

AH really hosed up releasing this latest warbond in the state they did. They really needed to deliver a "wowbond" and instead it was pretty meh and also seems to be meh in a way that calls into question their QA/Deployment processes. That just feeds the waters that are already churning with angry G*mer dopes. They've also stuck their foot in their mouth on the discord a bunch. Being smug to people being idiots can be funny but its leaking into even responses to constructive feedback.

I will say the most distasteful thing going on the subreddit right now which I cant escape if I read any amount of comments is the amount of people witch hunting the balance dev for I guess his gently caress ups on a prior game. Theyre definitely hunting for that guys job. Gross.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cut the warbonds on half (lower the price a little if you have to, even if it's only down to 750 or so), or double the amount of time it takes to push one out, I dunno, but an entire 3 page warbond a month is really not working. Even if they gently caress up the guns initially, by doing this they'd either have half as many guns to fix in the same time, or twice as much time to fix whatever they gently caress up before the next one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

The default armor has high defense but still gets medium speed

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I never use it but it is funny being able to face-tank the bot artillery towers with heavy armour

FREEDOM NEVER DIES

*takes an artillery shot in the mouth*

FEELS GOOOOOOD

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jerkface posted:

AH really hosed up releasing this latest warbond in the state they did. They really needed to deliver a "wowbond" and instead it was pretty meh and also seems to be meh in a way that calls into question their QA/Deployment processes. That just feeds the waters that are already churning with angry G*mer dopes. They've also stuck their foot in their mouth on the discord a bunch. Being smug to people being idiots can be funny but its leaking into even responses to constructive feedback.

I will say the most distasteful thing going on the subreddit right now which I cant escape if I read any amount of comments is the amount of people witch hunting the balance dev for I guess his gently caress ups on a prior game. Theyre definitely hunting for that guys job. Gross.

Even moreso than usual, reddit is being incredibly poo poo and cringe about a small developer that's put out a fantastic game

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

That is a drat fine looking Sickle replica. :discourse:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Babe Magnet posted:

just pulled it up and yeah there's a bunch of complaining but there's plenty of threads making fun of people getting mad about guns and urging people to calm down, and a bunch of other cool stuff besides. check out this dude's sickle

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1cojeae/finally_finished_my_sickle/
I respect the craftsmanship but I really wish the Sickle looked cooler (to me). Literally the number 1 reason I avoid using it is because I hate looking at the thing lol.

Sindai posted:

Where did this come from? I've wanted something like this forever but it's impossible to google

Babe Magnet posted:

near the bottom of last page

e: page before last now I guess lol
Specifically, that post links to the post about the diversdex, which links here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRBrOIXQIYaOBNw8v9zRX4Qj8BDP0xaMTAzGhL1Tv6QxOU43RXM_ByDHwk4xw_HRjsCXhpif-jUlQAn/pubhtml

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it looks too much like the fallout laser rifle imo. Both are cool but I've already spent a lot of time looking at the fallout one lol

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

I'm back to digging the supply backpack thanks to whoever posted about that build a while back of grenade armor+SPB for max nadin'. Also finally gives me a reason to take the HMG.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I read the divers dex and I'm gonna try the adjudicator now though I fully expect to be upset at how often I need to reload.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i've been maining heavy armour and the adjudicator on everything lately but that's more about looking good and feeling good than effectiveness

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
They really need to get more whacky and different weapons I think. Not very exciting to have assault rifle #7. At this point I think they'd be better served by pushing the warbonds to every second month, doing another weapon balance buff pass and releasing more stratagems/mission types/biomes. I know a bunch of that is tied with the narrative leading up to the illuminate, so we'll get there eventually. I really hope they're gonna release a whole bunch of new biomes when the illuminate come, that's what I'm most looking forward to.

The more planets that open up now, the more that will be stuck with the old biomes repeating, unless they just change a bunch of existing planets we've already fought on to new biomes so they're more equally spread out. I wouldn't mind that at all to be honest. I'm gonna be away end of May/early June so I really hope the illuminate come out juuust after that, I'd get pretty bad FOMO missing their release.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yeah I wear heavy armor all the time just for the aesthetics. Go ahead and call extraction, I'll be there in a minute.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Dren posted:

I read the divers dex and I'm gonna try the adjudicator now though I fully expect to be upset at how often I need to reload.

I was messing around with it today and feels bad. :( I don't see where you'd ever want to take it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerkface posted:

I was messing around with it today and feels bad. :( I don't see where you'd ever want to take it.

yea the unfortunate things about ttk and dps lists and all that kind of stuff is that weapon accuracy and recoil are just as important and significantly more nebulous. a gun that looks really good just from damage numbers can turn out to not be at all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

They really need to get more whacky and different weapons I think. Not very exciting to have assault rifle #7. At this point I think they'd be better served by pushing the warbonds to every second month, doing another weapon balance buff pass and releasing more stratagems/mission types/biomes. I know a bunch of that is tied with the narrative leading up to the illuminate, so we'll get there eventually. I really hope they're gonna release a whole bunch of new biomes when the illuminate come, that's what I'm most looking forward to.

agreed with all of this.

1. i want weird space-totalitarian cartoon weapons like the chainsaw rifle from gears of war, or the cerebral bore from turok, or a goo gun that locks enemies in place and melts them with chemicals, or a huge gaudy ceremonial laser sword, or a homing frisbee grenade, or a microwave gun that lights enemies on fire from a mile away.

2. i want more biomes. factory worlds, idyllic suburb worlds, giant trees like endor, murky marshes, tropical beaches, volcano planets, alien homeworlds, etc

3. i want more mission types. don't care what kind, i just want more variety.

4. i want an emote wheel so i can salute the flag, throw my arms open for the ICBM, and still headbutt my fellow divers

5. i want the comm wheel to have a HELL YEAH option on it so i can celebrate awesome moves with more than "affirmative" or "thank you"

6. i wanna be able to change armor properties around and repaint it so i can look my most stylish

tia

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Jerkface posted:

I take it with the supply backpack and grenade launcher. The latter helps with swarms while the Adjudicator crunches through Hive Guards and Brood Commanders while still being able to handle the occasional smaller enemy that gets past. The supply backpack keeps it topped off.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

skaianDestiny posted:

I take it with the supply backpack and grenade launcher. The latter helps with swarms while the Adjudicator crunches through Hive Guards and Brood Commanders while still being able to handle the occasional smaller enemy that gets past. The supply backpack keeps it topped off.

I feel like you could just use pretty much any other gun, still kill mediums, and also handle everything else easier. The 25 round mag was killing it for me in addition to the rear end recoil. One of those "technically viable" but why would you guns right now for me personally.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sagebrush posted:

agreed with all of this.

1. i want weird space-totalitarian cartoon weapons like the chainsaw rifle from gears of war, or the cerebral bore from turok, or a goo gun that locks enemies in place and melts them with chemicals, or a huge gaudy ceremonial laser sword, or a homing frisbee grenade, or a microwave gun that lights enemies on fire from a mile away.

2. i want more biomes. factory worlds, idyllic suburb worlds, giant trees like endor, murky marshes, volcano planets, alien homeworlds, etc

3. i want more mission types. don't care what kind, i just want more variety.

4. i want an emote wheel so i can salute the flag, throw my arms open for the ICBM, and still headbutt my fellow divers

5. i want the comm wheel to have a HELL YEAH option on it so i can celebrate awesome moves with more than "affirmative" or "thank you"

6. i wanna be able to change armor properties around and repaint it so i can look my most stylish

tia

they are adding new missions and side objective types and one of them seems like it will be very funny because it requires a successful extraction to complete

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like the Adjudicator because it looks cool and is good at handling mediums. It's not a DMR, or even really a normal AR, it's a Battle Rifle, like a FN FAL or a G3, so fire in bursts, preferably while crouching.

E: Like, I think it's the only AR that can deal with Scout Striders?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 11, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think it’s TEH CHUDS because the issues are legit. But the problem is they’re not worth 45 Reddit threads in the span of a week about them. It’s a one thread maybe two at most issue.

They’re just all stirred up

Ya I mean I don't even understand what this word means anymore if we are using this to describe whats going on the subreddit. Someone could correct me, I am not American but I thought this has a politically connotation to it, to someone being right wing.

It's just people frustrated with the balance changes, attacking individual devs is loving stupid though no matter. To me it just seems like typical internet group behavior, initially the subreddit was very positive even with the crashes but definitely turned into a rantfest lately.

I love Arrowhead though atleast they try to communicate but maybe they should not be on discord the day after a patch since players might be triggered for whatever reason.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the chuds are the ones calling for specific employees to be removed because they're upset about not being able to use racial/transphobic slurs and are accusing arrowhead's staff of being proponents of white male genocide. i think the balance whiners are mostly just in denial about being bad at video games. i assume that there's a decent amount of overlap there but not exactly a circle

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

the chuds are the ones calling for specific employees to be removed because they're upset about not being able to use racial/transphobic slurs and are accusing arrowhead's staff of being proponents of white male genocide

Ya I haven't seen that but I admit I mostly just skim the subreddit and sometimes read the balance posts.

I do agree that would be chud like behavior if that is whats happening, which also wouldn't surprise me but a lot of the post seem just whining about in game poo poo.

Slust
Oct 22, 2021
I generally refer to people as chuds when they love throwing around the f-slur over guns in a video game

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Was sad to learn last night that the big offhand shield you can carry doesn't do anything to protect against bug melee attacks.

I had this dream built up in my head to run around in heavy army with the new SMG and shield and just facetank bugs.

Guess it'll have to stay a bot thing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

boz posted:

Was sad to learn last night that the big offhand shield you can carry doesn't do anything to protect against bug melee attacks.

I had this dream built up in my head to run around in heavy army with the new SMG and shield and just facetank bugs.

Guess it'll have to stay a bot thing

For some dumb reason it does protect against melee attacks when it's on your back*, just not when it's in your hand (or so I've been told, I've never actually tried holding it in my hand myself)

https://i.imgur.com/lDlouep.mp4

*Some will get through because they hit below the shield. For example: Hunters standing on the ground, though their leap will often bounce off your shield.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 11, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

causticBeet posted:

Using AC sentries as your only anti-bile titan kit on anything higher than like a 6 is big “idk I’ll let my team figure it out” energy. Be a considerate team mate and at least bring a 500 or rail cannon or something!

Is there a reason people aren't using Rocket Sentries for that job? I feel they are more reliable at it since they prioritize bit targets at the expense of not trash clearing.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Mordja posted:

I like the Adjudicator because it looks cool and is good at handling mediums. It's not a DMR, or even really a normal AR, it's a Battle Rifle, like a FN FAL or a G3, so fire in bursts, preferably while crouching.

E: Like, I think it's the only AR that can deal with Scout Striders?

yeah you have to learn how to use it a bit, crouch or dive and fire in controlled bursts and it can do work

it's worse than the liberator or sickle at clearing trash and worse than the dominator or scorcher at clearing mediums but it fits somewhere in the middle and does both "ok"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Is there a reason people aren't using Rocket Sentries for that job? I feel they are more reliable at it since they prioritize bit targets at the expense of not trash clearing.

Rocket sentry and minigun sentry isn't the worst pick for setting up a stronghold in a bug exterminate/evacuate mission, although you'll still want some personal anti-tank equipment to deal with Chargers and Titans as and when your turrets fail to do so.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

deep dish peat moss posted:

For some dumb reason it does protect against melee attacks when it's on your back*, just not when it's in your hand (or so I've been told, I've never actually tried holding it in my hand myself)

https://i.imgur.com/lDlouep.mp4

*Some will get through because they hit below the shield. For example: Hunters standing on the ground, though their leap will often bounce off your shield.

That actually sounds kinda amazing?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't used it much against bugs but it probably deserves a re-visit. It blocks spewer spit too, if you turn your back when they start to spit. I only used it for a few rounds to test it out and then switched to something else because mobility alone is generally enough to avoid bugs but there are a lot of situations where it could come in very handy and those might be more common now that guns like the fire breaker aren't crazy strong.

It definitely does not block titan spit though. It can block Chargers if they're at the very end of their charge and mostly slowing down but that's not very useful.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't used it much against bugs but it probably deserves a re-visit. It blocks spewer spit too, if you turn your back when they start to spit. I only used it for a few rounds to test it out and then switched to something else because mobility alone is generally enough to avoid bugs but there are a lot of situations where it could come in very handy and those might be more common now that guns like the fire breaker aren't crazy strong.

It definitely does not block titan spit though. It can block Chargers if they're at the very end of their charge and mostly slowing down but that's not very useful.

The fire breaker is still crazy strong! It's so good!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

yeah you have to learn how to use it a bit, crouch or dive and fire in controlled bursts and it can do work

it's worse than the liberator or sickle at clearing trash and worse than the dominator or scorcher at clearing mediums but it fits somewhere in the middle and does both "ok"

How would you compare it to the Stalwart in terms of killing hunters? For me, Stalwart is a bit clunky to aim at hunters and maybe a little slow to kill for a strategem weapon but gets the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

people talking about plasma punisher were right. weapon is fun and can kill tons of bugs as they come out of holes... which means it'll be the next weapon people complain about in which somehow it is OP because it can kill bugs bunch up but completely ignores all the negatives you have around it.

also orbital gas is indeed very good