Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why does the poster for The Baby advertise itself as a comedic sex romp, when it's only that if you're Rich Evans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Why does the poster for The Baby advertise itself as a comedic sex romp, when it's only that if you're Rich Evans?

Are you saying movie studios should make their movie posters only to appeal to rich evans? Seems like would be an odd move on their part.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The Last Drive-in with Joe Bob has a good episode for The Baby. That was the only way I could watch it.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Ever since hdr screens became common, subtitles have become really distracting. Having a bunch of white hot letters fill up the bottom third of your screen looks bad and people should turn them off. It is not like any of that poo poo is worth reading anyway.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Stink Billyums posted:

it started because that dick used her as an example of typecasting without actually saying the word typecast, I assume due to mike brain

that is correct.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DebonaireD posted:

Ever since hdr screens became common, subtitles have become really distracting. Having a bunch of white hot letters fill up the bottom third of your screen looks bad and people should turn them off. It is not like any of that poo poo is worth reading anyway.

Bring back classic slightly pixelated yellow subtitles

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Bring back classic slightly pixelated yellow subtitles

Bring back enunciating

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
*very new yorkishly* I'm Kirsten schalling here!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

perhaps 2 sound mixes for all streaming films “theater mix” and “normal loving mix so i can hear what characters are saying”

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Red Letter Media 2024: Kristen Schall (& Michelle Yeoh) Appreciation Station

Outpost22 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 11, 2024

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i mean hell, to be clear. she's great. michelle yeoh's great too. im just saying she has kristen schaaled a bit and im glad more people are coming around to this

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

This sounds really loving dumb, especially considering the video game was a disaster.

But I guess I just don’t have the galaxy brain of the average WB exec.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

colonelwest posted:

This sounds really loving dumb, especially considering the video game was a disaster.

But I guess I just don’t have the galaxy brain of the average WB exec.

I’m fonder of Gollum than most apparently but this is gonna be like the Joey spinoff of movies

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

That DICK! posted:

i mean hell, to be clear. she's great. michelle yeoh's great too. im just saying she has kristen schaaled a bit and im glad more people are coming around to this

She was the lead actor of an Oscar winning film. It's not a big mystery why she is getting more roles.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

and that's the crazy part, i actually agree with stupid as poo poo point that's not relevant to the fact that michelle yeoh has kristen schaaled at all

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

stop saying it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

went to the alamo to see "the last stop in yuma county" from freshman director francis galluppi. a strangers-in-a-room desert crime thriller that wears its influences on its sleeve (coincidentally, it's almost thirty years to the day since the release of tarantino's "pulp fiction").

it was middling, and I'm baffled by the positive reviews it's getting. the references to tarantino (and specifically pulp fiction) are crassly obvious, yet the dialogue and editing have none of the pep. there's very little tension at any given time; the characters are exactly what they are shown to be from their introduction, and none of them are interesting. there's no intrigue or politicking between characters, nothing to drive the scenes forward. when the big powder keg goes off it feels lifeless. gave me flashbacks to bad times at the el royale, except this is even more bland.

it looks really good; shouting out dp mac fisken and production designer charlie textor for a superb display of their abilities, since the look of the film is the only thing you can latch onto as enjoyable. I can so clearly see the good version of this film in my head, the only they needed to change was the edit.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I watched Serial Mom, good movie

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

kalel posted:

went to the alamo to see "the last stop in yuma county" from freshman director francis galluppi. a strangers-in-a-room desert crime thriller that wears its influences on its sleeve (coincidentally, it's almost thirty years to the day since the release of tarantino's "pulp fiction").

it was middling, and I'm baffled by the positive reviews it's getting. the references to tarantino (and specifically pulp fiction) are crassly obvious, yet the dialogue and editing have none of the pep. there's very little tension at any given time; the characters are exactly what they are shown to be from their introduction, and none of them are interesting. there's no intrigue or politicking between characters, nothing to drive the scenes forward. when the big powder keg goes off it feels lifeless. gave me flashbacks to bad times at the el royale, except this is even more bland.

it looks really good; shouting out dp mac fisken and production designer charlie textor for a superb display of their abilities, since the look of the film is the only thing you can latch onto as enjoyable. I can so clearly see the good version of this film in my head, the only they needed to change was the script.

Is it better or worse than the item

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

kalel posted:

you're giving me flashbacks to a terrible movie that I barely remember

it was in the early days of free movies on On Demand, and I was all excited for this everyone-wakes-up-in-this-room no-one-is-who-they-seem possible cube knock-off
instead of no twists there were too many twists to the point that it was hard to follow and impossible to care about
I think the entire thing was filmed in a single room of a disused factory or water reclamation plant or whatever but I mostly remember it as a blur of yellowish-brown color grading and disappointment

all in all I do not recommend whatever movie it is I'm thinking of

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Do you remember when these guys used to review movies? It was pretty cool

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i like when mike reviews movies. jay is bad at reviewing movies, has bad taste, and i dont give a gently caress what he has to say about new movies

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What movies do you want them to review? Dune 2? I'm going to give it a wild guess and say they would have thought it was good. Saved you 50 hypothetical minutes

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

meat police posted:

Do you remember when these guys used to review movies? It was pretty cool

I'm ready for a prestige soft reboot of Half in the Bag starring Patton, Mac, and Jack Quaid. Coming soon to Amazon Prime.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

No Mods No Masters posted:

What movies do you want them to review? Dune 2? I'm going to give it a wild guess and say they would have thought it was good. Saved you 50 hypothetical minutes

Hundreds of Beavers.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

There’s no time to film a HitB we need to start rolling on Josh and Jack’s re:View of Honey I Shrunk the Kids

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

anything really, I just like the opinion of some beatdown vhs repairmen GEEZ

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

There’s no time to film a HitB we need to start rolling on Josh and Jack’s re:View of Honey I Shrunk the Kids

lmao please don't will this into existence

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

henkman posted:

I watched Serial Mom, good movie

Nice

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

just watched I Saw the TV Glow as part of the seattle international film festival. i liked it but was disappointed with the ending. the q&a with Jane Schoenbrun was decent but short. Cool visuals, cool soundtrack, good acting, crazy cameos (fred durst!), but didnt blow me away.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

khwarezm posted:

Kojima all made sense for me when I realized he's just the Japanese mirror image of a western weeb.

I think there's strong evidence that Konami in general maybe was full of reverse weebs. someone there clearly had the tape hookup for every Arnold movie. I imagine that's how we ended up with silent hill having kindergarten cop textures. they did a lot of games based on western properties too. could it all have been kojima influence? ....yeah maybe

Hackers film 1995 posted:

perhaps 2 sound mixes for all streaming films “theater mix” and “normal loving mix so i can hear what characters are saying”

I noticed the fallout show had a few different options for "dialog boost" or such in the audio drop-down, that was nice.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
The snake oil salesman in Fallout reminds me of xjakk. His mannerisms and appearance, not the chicken-loving.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

DebonaireD posted:

HDR is loving garbage, turn that motion smoothing tier poo poo off and retrain everybody in marketing to undertake more important work as scaffolding for coral reefs to grow on.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

gollum is kristen schaaling

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Kristen Schaal would actually be a great Gollum, Andy Serkis clearly isn't Kristen Schaaling enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What movies do you want them to review?

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Freedom

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The snake oil salesman in Fallout reminds me of xjakk. His mannerisms and appearance, not the chicken-loving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ2cYZWX9tM

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Endless Trash posted:

Bring back enunciating

man who registered for the something awful forums before the great recession: what's with the trend of inaudible dialogue in movies these days

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Oh I get it now, xjakk models himself on this guy. I don’t blame him, this guy seems cool in a histrionic kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

do you think martin short watched the baby when he was preparing for his role in clifford