Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

tokenbrownguy posted:

it'll be even worse, because tactical whining and bitching is like 90% of the chatting in that game

any ffa multiplayer game where players can reasonably negotiate with each other is secretly diplomacy, and diplomacy is the least chill game ever created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Mordja posted:

Be advised: Company of Heroes 3 is having its first free weekend. It launched in a bit of a rough state (I still liked it, and continue to play multiplayer almost daily) but Relic has stuck by it and the game's in a good place these days. I actually beat the Italian campaign recently and had a blast. It's one of those conquer-the-world type of things that doesn't overstay its welcome and has more variety to its mission types than I expected.

Thanks for this, I've been giving it a whirl.

My main issue is not being able to zoom out very far, presumably because of engine constraints. It makes me realise how accustomed I've become to the smooth zoom out and zoom in as the main way of navigating around and getting a sense of what's going on. It's much better than mini maps and I can't really live without it now.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there any way to get WASD scrolling in CoH3?

I've been playing CoH1 and that doesn't have it but figured the new one would...

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I realize I'm probably the only person in the world that cares about this, but I can't believe they literally made a console version of CoH3 but didn't put controller support into the PC version; I was really hoping I could play the game on my Steam Deck without having to deal with mouse emulation.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there any way to get WASD scrolling in CoH3?

I've been playing CoH1 and that doesn't have it but figured the new one would...
There should be a pre-set in the controls for WASD scrolling.

Top right where it says "Set Profile"; haven't tried it myself so I can't confirm if it works though

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mordja posted:

Sins 2 is finally coming to a platform that actually exists!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Di9NEJnpRM

Foolishness. The Advent aren't even in yet.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

drat, CoH3 feels really dated compared to its predecessors from a purely visual POV, what the heck?

There's hardly any attention to detail with how units interact with eachother or the environment, feels like there's no physics to anything and this is maxed out.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yeah, they also toned down the destruction quite a bit even compared to the first game. It's noticeably cheaper game than previous installments.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Men of War 2 is finally out and it's pretty drat good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1128860/Men_of_War_II/

Mixed reviews but they are mostly from morons, so :shrug:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

I'm one of those morons. I tried and then refunded. To me, it felt like a janky version of company of heroes. I much prefer Gates of hell. The always online stuff really rubbed me the wrong way as well.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Do soldiers at least still yell hilarious poorly translated lines like "For Uncle Sam!" and "Enemy is in the reach zone!"? I don't think I can play a Men of War game without that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Det_no posted:

Uhhh... the complaints seem pretty drat valid for a sequel to Men of War.

Sounds like they COH3'd the franchise, less detail in just about everything and leans much heavier in the arcadey direction.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
A lot of the complaints sound like they don't like the game because it's less like how the game diverged from MoW since Assault Squad, which was made by a different developer (Digitalmindsoft). MoW's design was always more arcade-y than Assault Squad. I think the main problem with MoW2 is that this game was supposed to be released like...5 years ago and they only gotten around to finishing it now so everything is dated.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Do soldiers at least still yell hilarious poorly translated lines like "For Uncle Sam!" and "Enemy is in the reach zone!"? I don't think I can play a Men of War game without that.

Yeah, the goofy voice acting is still there, which didn't bother me. It's still goofy and fine.

Deakul posted:

Sounds like they COH3'd the franchise, less detail in just about everything and leans much heavier in the arcadey direction.

Yeah, I felt it was a "worst of both worlds" situation. The units are all faster and arcadey like COH, but it still has the high lethality of of MoW or GoH. So you've got halftracks clown cars driving in circles all over the place, squads sprinting around, but they get obliterated by a burst of MG fire.

Also they went for HP for tanks, which is just terrible. I much prefer Gates of Hell where the tanks are simulated a bit like war thunder, where they've got penetration and post-penetration mechanics that determine what, if any damage is done. Like in GoH you can fire solid shot AP through the side of a tank and not necessarily hit anything, it just passes through if you don't get lucky with the spalling.

And on top of all of that, the game forces you to play your single player matches on their online servers. Just sucks.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Deakul posted:

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, the goofy voice acting is still there, which didn't bother me. It's still goofy and fine.

Yeah, I felt it was a "worst of both worlds" situation. The units are all faster and arcadey like COH, but it still has the high lethality of of MoW or GoH. So you've got halftracks clown cars driving in circles all over the place, squads sprinting around, but they get obliterated by a burst of MG fire.

Also they went for HP for tanks, which is just terrible. I much prefer Gates of Hell where the tanks are simulated a bit like war thunder, where they've got penetration and post-penetration mechanics that determine what, if any damage is done. Like in GoH you can fire solid shot AP through the side of a tank and not necessarily hit anything, it just passes through if you don't get lucky with the spalling.

And on top of all of that, the game forces you to play your single player matches on their online servers. Just sucks.

See, this is the perfect example of what I mean. All the games in the Men of War franchise and spinoffs, including Gates of Hell, have vehicle HP. Here it is explained by the Gates of Hell dev himself.

It's an entirely imaginary issue.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ugh that all sucks. I remember excellent MP times with MoW and assault squad.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

See, this is the perfect example of what I mean. All the games in the Men of War franchise and spinoffs, including Gates of Hell, have vehicle HP. Here it is explained by the Gates of Hell dev himself.

It's an entirely imaginary issue.

How bout you read what he wrote. There's a big difference between having a health bar for the entire tank, and having 10 health bars for each component in the tank that only get damaged if a shell hits them. I've played an enormous amount of GoH. Yes, it's occasionally possible to just break a tank outright if it's hit with a very high-calibre round, but 99% of the time, you are going to kill the crew or disable internal components long before you destroy the tank via HP damage. It's been designed in a way that much closer simulates reality compared to just having an HP bar for the entire tank that then kills the tank once it reaches 0.

Yes, there might be lots of HP bars going on behind the scenes, but it's been done in a way that makes it almost like war thunder in terms of the simulation

quote:

How much damage is dealt per shot? If the shell penetrates, the damage is the addition of the kinetic energy of the projectile, the caliber and the filler of the shell. In this sense, the more penetration the shell has, the more energy it impacts the surface and the more spalling it can have, but the main element is the size of the shell and how much filler it has. So when a shot penetrates, it pierces a number of components, and the durabilities are lowered considering all the damage contributions.

Because the shell damage scales up with bigger or faster shells according to the new physics, it is not necessary to make up for it with RNG chance of fracture, but we did introduce a lot of variability and also possible catastropic damage events depending on where the gun hits. All internal components, from breech to transmission are modelled in the right places. A lot of time was spent researching the vehicles appropriately. In this regard, the game is designed to reward players who know where to aim to deal extra internal damage, and we consider it's much more realistic as well.

Obviously the damaging mechanics are paired with new ballistic modelling, different ammo types deal different damages, the repair mechanics, etc. We wrote a lot about these subjects in the devblogs and it's too much for the scope of this post.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 16, 2024

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dramicus posted:

How bout you read what he wrote. There's a big difference between having a health bar for the entire tank, and having 10 health bars for each component in the tank that only get damaged if a shell hits them. I've played an enormous amount of GoH. Yes, it's occasionally possible to just break a tank outright if it's hit with a very high-calibre round, but 99% of the time, you are going to kill the crew or disable internal components long before you destroy the tank via HP damage. It's been designed in a way that much closer simulates reality compared to just having an HP bar for the entire tank that then kills the tank once it reaches 0.

Yes, there might be lots of HP bars going on behind the scenes, but it's been done in a way that makes it almost like war thunder in terms of the simulation

It's the exact same system in both games, dude. Both games model penetration by having modules and crew that can be damaged, and then a hull that has HP and kills the tank after enough penetrating hits, no matter the location of the last shot.

If you launch GOH right now and shoot your favorite tank with enough penetrating shots, even if you were doing side shots in such a way that you'd only be killing the driver over and over, the tank is eventually going to die when its HP runs out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

It's the exact same system in both games, dude. Both games model penetration by having modules and crew that can be damaged, and then a hull that has HP and kills the tank after enough penetrating hits, no matter the location of the last shot.

If you launch GOH right now and shoot your favorite tank with enough penetrating shots, even if you were doing side shots in such a way that you'd only be killing the driver over and over, the tank is eventually going to die when its HP runs out.

Yes, but in MoW it dies after 5 shots. In GoH it would die after 500 or more. You almost never kill a tank via HP depletion in normal GoH play. Unless you hit a panzer 1 with a 152mm round or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Honestly I stopped paying attention after the dev studio split, it seemed inevitable things would go downhill from that point.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Yes, but in MoW it dies after 5 shots. In GoH it would die after 500 or more. You almost never kill a tank via HP depletion in normal GoH play. Unless you hit a panzer 1 with a 152mm round or something.

Is that something you've tried or just know in the same vein you "knew" MoW2 gave tanks HP? I really don't want to download sixty gigs of garbage to test.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

Is that something you've tried or just know in the same vein you "knew" MoW2 gave tanks HP? I really don't want to download sixty gigs of garbage to test.

Yes, you are going to run out of ammo or kill the entire crew long before you hull-break another tank shooting 75mm rounds at it. The only exception is very light vehicles getting hit by artillery-grade rounds which might just shatter the structure (which happened in reality).

Also, MoW2 didn't simulate internals, it just had a % chance of doing internal damage for each penetration. GoH went through the trouble of adding additional internal simulation.

Either way, the combat, shooting and vehicle mechanics are more fun and satisfying in GoH compared to MoW2.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Yes, you are going to run out of ammo or kill the entire crew long before you hull-break another tank shooting 75mm rounds at it. The only exception is very light vehicles getting hit by artillery-grade rounds which might just shatter the structure (which happened in reality).

Also, MoW2 didn't simulate internals, it just had a % chance of doing internal damage for each penetration. GoH went through the trouble of adding additional internal simulation.

Either way, the combat, shooting and vehicle mechanics are more fun and satisfying in GoH compared to MoW2.

Well, I checked anyway and it's funny you said 5 hits cause that's exactly how much it takes, every time.

https://jumpshare.com/s/Yyxm5G4g95H7Sze457zQ

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

Well, I checked anyway and it's funny you said 5 hits cause that's exactly how much it takes, every time.

https://jumpshare.com/s/Yyxm5G4g95H7Sze457zQ

My bad, the default game works the same as MoW then. One of the mods I use probably changes the HP for tanks so that you can only kill via crew/component shots.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
So Line War was brought up in this thread when it first released, it bills itself as a slower paced rts with 4x elements where you direct units with commands rather than move them individually.

It’s quite a polarizing game but it’s on sale with a new ai mode for single player, as well as various other multiplayer modes like 2v2, ffa, comp stomps etc.

The game got some stick here but is doing something different and had potential, but suffers much the same problems as over single person dev teams.

I’ve been getting back into it recently, with the changes it’s a bit less intimidating, it’s better balanced and the ai isn’t bad too play against when you turn it up.

I’m total poo poo, but is a fun strategy game if anyone wants to take a look or is up for a game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1309610/Line_War/

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Bit old of a video but I found this really interesting to watch having no AoE 2 experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOnO_Hjueak