Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I am angry
ANGRY ABOUT FAKE WHIPPED CREAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

True. A guy asked me to pass him the kleenex, and I handed him a box of Royale tissues.

He hosed my wife.

Did she complain he was squirting the wrong brand of semen?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

The_Franz posted:

The plastic-flower-in-a-tube in question:

Why yes, Amazon does sell crack pipes.

and amazon helpfully suggests I buy some lighters and scrubber pads to go with my decorative glass rose. Thanks algorithm!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't want "whipped topping", goddamn it. I'm a Cool Whip man!

(ref. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4z0QhD92Y)

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 11, 2024

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
It's cool whip time, baby!

E: my dad used to eat a poo poo ton of cool whip, by itself, because "it's mostly air!"

He also went through a hardcore Atkins phase and would scoop up huge wads of butter with a piece of turkey bacon and slurp that right up.

In his old age he found some YouTuber that convinced him to go on an all-meat diet and that is...literally all he eats.

He's had multiple strokes and heart attacks and can barely move or function in any way but he's sticking to the meat thing.

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 11, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGbqDQ93-vI

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I guess I would hear someone asking for Coolwhip as the same way as someone asking for a Xerox or Kleenex, where its a generic term.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

carrionman posted:

A guy I know said he was bringing whisky but the loving piece of poo poo brought whiskey.

I mean Sunny D guy did also bring SoCo when he said he was bringing whiskey. I was the rear end in a top hat for giving him another chance lol

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

What would be a good generic name for Cool Whip?

Phat Lash?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

lol That's what that kid sees after doing a whole can of ready whip

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Odd posted:

An Aldi opened up near me a little while ago and their whole thing is "low prices because almost everything is store brand" and i'll tell you that their store brand is actually pretty dang good. This is USA aldi, i've heard the european original versions are not as great

They're great, I'm really sad that my last move took me out of Aldi territory. It's funny, because we went there a lot when I was a little kid because it was the cheapo place to get a lot of mediocre food for not too much money. But they changed it around sometime since then, they're still on the cheaper end but they somehow have quality items now. Everyone back home goes there regularly, I'm so jealous that I can't anymore :negative:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

You're either in Aldi teritory or Trader Joe's territory, thanks to a sibling rivalry/feud that uses grocery stores as proxies

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You're either in Aldi teritory or Trader Joe's territory, thanks to a sibling rivalry/feud that uses grocery stores as proxies

Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company, but often operate in the same area. There are both where I live.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company
No they aren't

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Be that as it may, TJs is some quality shopping for reasonable prices. Near me I have a Target and a TJ's, and the TJ's is a buck or more less on common items like milk, eggs , and butter.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

artsy fartsy posted:

It's cool whip time, baby!

E: my dad used to eat a poo poo ton of cool whip, by itself, because "it's mostly air!"

He also went through a hardcore Atkins phase and would scoop up huge wads of butter with a piece of turkey bacon and slurp that right up.

In his old age he found some YouTuber that convinced him to go on an all-meat diet and that is...literally all he eats.

He's had multiple strokes and heart attacks and can barely move or function in any way but he's sticking to the meat thing.

Give him a sip of apple cider if you want to give him horrible nightmares like Jordan Peterson did.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

artsy fartsy posted:

What would be a good generic name for Cool Whip?

Phat Lash?

It's already "Whipped Topping".

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

It's already "Whipped Topping".

Gnarly Wallop

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company, but often operate in the same area. There are both where I live.

No, there’s two different parent Aldi companies, because they got split up after WW2.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

mystes posted:

No they aren't
They're both owned by Albrecht Discounts, a german company. I don't know what that means for people in other countries but your opposition was wrong. The prices, however, are right!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That backstory sounds like it would make for good reddit material. I want to sell cigarettes but my brother says they'll attract shoplifters, AITA?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Odd posted:

They're both owned by Albrecht Discounts, a german company. I don't know what that means for people in other countries but your opposition was wrong. The prices, however, are right!!!
There is no company named "Albrecht Discounts" currently. Aldi was originally one company but in 1960 it was split to become two companies Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud which haven't had any direct connection with each other since (they are owned by different members of the same family who I believe are at odds with each other).

Trader Joes is owned by Aldi Nord and the Aldi chain in the US is owned by Aldi Sud.

So confusingly, they aren't actually owned by the same company even though they are both owned by companies with Aldi in the name.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 11, 2024

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

being an american sounds exhausting, you have to know so many brand names and have opinions on them

AITA for leaving dinner because my sister was late… again?

quote:

I (27F) had plans to go out to dinner with my sister (30F) as we do every month. She lives in my hometown and I live in the next state over with my BF, we’re about 35 mins to an hour apart depending on traffic. We agreed to meet closer to hometown with my mom.

One thing about her, she is always late. I expect she’ll always be at least 30 mins late but it’s been up to a few hours. And not just random plans, weddings and graduations too. It’s been brought up in the past by mom and I but she always brushes it off and gets upset.

My BF drove me over, I can’t drive and he offered to drop me before he had to head out for plans of his own near home and come back when he was done. I assumed after dinner we would just hang out at her house either way.

Get to the place and start calling my sister (she usually doesn’t say if she’s gonna be late, but if my mom is with her she does, and I hadn’t heard anything). I get mom a few mins later and she says they’re behind because it took awhile to get my nephew who’s almost 1 ready and my sister got in the shower later than expected. I didn’t even know my nephew was coming and she usually tells me if he is. Her husband was apparently there to let mom in when she showed up but went back to sleep as soon as she got there. Not sure why he couldn’t help get baby ready, but that’s none of my business.

I check Maps and it says 35 mins, adding in getting baby strapped and secure and then putting him in either the stroller or front carrier on her body, I was looking at 40 mins. To top it off we had reservations (SHE made the reservation, not me). I had never been to this place and didn’t know if it was one of those places that don’t let you have the table if your whole group isn’t there. There was really no space to wait inside and I’d have to stand outside. Anyway I didn’t feel like sitting alone for 40 mins even if I could.

She doesn’t keep her friends waiting this long when they make plans, I don’t get why it’s okay to do this to me and mom. I’m speaking to mom as they’re trying to change the reservation online, at that point I was fed up. If we agree to be there at a certain time be there. 5 or 10 mins late is fine but not this. I told mom I was going back home, I didn’t feel like fuming at the table and acting like I wasn’t mad when they got there (as I’d done before). She sounded hurt and mad but said fine and that she would go home too.

Since then I haven’t spoken to my sister (it’s been a few weeks) and mom doesn’t want to get in the middle, but I told her I wasn’t speaking to her until I get an apology. Mom told her she can’t keep doing this on their ride back home and agrees it’s an issue, but won’t say much else. It’s ridiculous to just always be late because you’re bad at time management. She also wants to use the “it takes long to get a baby ready” excuse which I would accept if it wasn’t for the fact that this has been a problem long before my nephew was born or even a thought. So, aita?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sister isn't late for her friends so she's clearly doing it on purpose.
NTA, and destruct all fuckheads who try this type of power play.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ah, the chronically tardy, always a fun topic. Yes, they always do it on purpose. They will actively waste more and more time especially when they see people waiting for them.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
My paternal grandfather was like that, it was absolutely a power play to see how long he could get people to wait for him.
He was a member of the local landrover club amd eventually even they got sick of his bullshit and would all just pack up and leave when they were ready, he could sort his own poo poo.

In the long run the joke was on him, they were out on a beach for a BBQ dinner and while he was loving around packing up they left, then he had a stroke which, according to the Dr, probably paralyzed him and he died overnight of hypothermia. If there had been people there he'd probably have lived.

A rough laugh, but he absolutely deserved it the walking piece of poo poo, it's the only joy he ever caused anyone.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

mllaneza posted:

Be that as it may, TJs is some quality shopping for reasonable prices. Near me I have a Target and a TJ's, and the TJ's is a buck or more less on common items like milk, eggs , and butter.

Wow, quality shopping at reasonable prices? Now that sounds like something to sing about!

Ooooooohhhhh Trader Joe's!
Oh baby, yeah!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Wow, quality shopping at reasonable prices? Now that sounds like something to sing about!

Ooooooohhhhh Trader Joe's!
Oh baby, yeah!

I plead that I grew up when cliched poo poo like that was common in advertising.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

Mx. posted:

being an american sounds exhausting, you have to know so many brand names and have opinions on them

That's the power of the free market, baby! :hellyeah: :911:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

you also need to have opinions about all 50 states as well which ones have the best gas station food

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That one's easy: "Every state other than mine is poo poo". Unless you're from Ohio or Alabama, in which case it's "Get me the hell out of here"

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I need my pure corn sugar product exactly the way I like it God drat it. Pepsi is unpatriotic.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Learning about Cool Whip finally radicalized me into a maoist insurgent

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Alchemist posted:

Learning about Cool Whip finally radicalized me into a maoist insurgent

I have important news about landlords for you.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mx. posted:

Feeling pretty happy right now that (as far as I know) we don’t have cool whip in the UK.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

TACD posted:

Feeling pretty happy right now that (as far as I know) we don’t have cool whip in the UK.

This isn't just chilled dessert flavour whipped oil topping, this is M&S chilled dessert flavour whipped oil topping.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

people from the UK need to form opinions on important things instead, like the acceptability of knock-off colin caterpillars

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

One of my bosses when I lived in florida brought her familys signature dessert to a potluck one time, it was a huge bowl of cool whip with bite sized snickers stirred in :catstare:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Steve Vader posted:

You know sometimes people ask for specific brands because of allergies.

this is driving me bonkers tho because this is like, real cheese vs fake cheez sauce, not store brand vs name brand - it isn't actually whipped cream! it acts as a low-cal whipped cream substitute but they have different properties when used in baking. Cool Whip is sometimes used not just as a topping, but as an ingredient in the desert itself because it is more stable and gives a fluffy but stable texture, whereas whipped cream just melts into fluid when hitting room temp. Whipped cream, a temporary thing, vs a whipped frozen oil clump that never settles, they have entirely different textures.

Recipes that call for Cool Whip to be used instead of whipped cream do so because the recipes will come together in a certain way with the Cool Whip - there's a pretty infamous chocolate pudding pie that's just chocolate jello and Cool Whip and if you replaced the Cool Whip with whipped cream it would just be a runny mess. Are these likely recipes likely from the Cool Whip packaging that Auntie Gayle has made into a family recipe? Yes. But if you replace Cool Whip with whipped cream in those recipes - and it's for anything besides the top of the cake or pie - you could absolutely get something that doesn't set right. THAT is why people go bonkers about it needing to be Cool Whip (TM). They likely have a recipe that needs the non-melting property as a stabilizer.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Mx. posted:

people from the UK need to form opinions on important things instead, like the acceptability of knock-off colin caterpillars

A blow against Marks is a blow against the Tories. Nationalise Colin immediately.