Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
speaking of it's funny to imagine the united states getting involved and that ever being a good thing. another influence from superhero comics i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The President has found Shigarakis of Mass Destruction and has been given the OK to invade Japan.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

TheHan posted:

speaking of it's funny to imagine the united states getting involved and that ever being a good thing. another influence from superhero comics i guess

tbf they sent star and she immediately deployed nuclear weapons

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Reclaimer posted:

tbf they sent star and she immediately deployed nuclear weapons

They forbade Star from going and she went of her own accord and convinced her own personal crew to follow.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord_Magmar posted:

They forbade Star from going and she went of her own accord and convinced her own personal crew to follow.

Thats what they always say when the op goes bad. Rogue agent.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

Thats what they always say when the op goes bad. Rogue agent.

Whilst true, Star does say she is acting on her own against the wishes of the government because of how much All Might Inspired her.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Scholtz posted:

Hopefully Mineta dies too so both major perverts of the series get got

Mineta will outlive this series and get his own spin-off.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Whilst true, Star does say she is acting on her own against the wishes of the government because of how much All Might Inspired her.

there's a whole manga's worth of questions in how america's #1 hero and her personal team of stealth bombers went rogue and attempted to assassinate a japanese citizen. i wonder how the public took all that.

even just the idea of america's #1 hero having her own personal team of stealth bombers....what's up with that lol. i wonder what kind of villains she was fighting!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Horikoshi *really* seems to love America is the answer.

Also with how the comic is going I still don't see how it's going to resolve in any way that doesn't involve stupid deus ex machinas or disregard a lot of the purpose of what was happening (looking at "gotta save Shiggy" here). And that's the real shame because even if there's nice lines in each chapter it's gonna read fuckin terribly as a whole.

Also once the series is done, jump to final war arc and take a shot for every time someone does a super move to no effect. Also pre-emptively call an ambulance lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for the single text box saying something like "the shadowy government organization that made Hawks and Nagant was dismantled and restructured"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait for the single text box saying something like "the shadowy government organization that made Hawks and Nagant was dismantled and restructured"

I mean, the higher ups in the organization got murked at the start of the war arc. It's not a going concern at this point. And Horikoshi said he wanted to do epilogue stuff, even if it's unknown how much he's actually doing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheHan posted:

there's a whole manga's worth of questions in how america's #1 hero and her personal team of stealth bombers went rogue and attempted to assassinate a japanese citizen. i wonder how the public took all that.

even just the idea of america's #1 hero having her own personal team of stealth bombers....what's up with that lol. i wonder what kind of villains she was fighting!

They were her transport crew and maybe ex military buddies? There's an implication she served in the airforce before becoming a full Hero.

But mostly they're explicitly her transport and backup rather than having a traditional sidekick. They make it so she doesn't have to waste one of her two "rules" on mobility when travelling all over America to respond to disasters and villains, or as the case may be to Japan.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm not exactly looking sideways at a group of super villain smashing stealth bombers when things like Gigantomachia exist.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the higher ups in the organization got murked at the start of the war arc. It's not a going concern at this point. And Horikoshi said he wanted to do epilogue stuff, even if it's unknown how much he's actually doing.

#FourMoreYears, obviously

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
excited to see powerless deku manning the gift shop in bakugo's agency in the epilogue

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Deku telling his dad all about what went on while he was out of town for work.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-422/chapter/42702?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020739

Hey kids! Remember all these characters?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Today, the anime covered the death of Star and Stripe and it reminded me of how annoyed I am that they wasted a potentially fun and interesting character like that, meanwhile all the nameless fighter pilots get to miraculously survive til the end.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Today, the anime covered the death of Star and Stripe and it reminded me of how annoyed I am that they wasted a potentially fun and interesting character like that, meanwhile all the nameless fighter pilots get to miraculously survive til the end.

I still believe that the anime's true purpose to remind Horikoshi about side characters. That's why the pilots show up in this week's chapter.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

oh jay posted:

I still believe that the anime's true purpose to remind Horikoshi about side characters. That's why the pilots show up in this week's chapter.

We already saw the pilots get blown up during the All Might/All For One fight. I don't blame you if you don't remember because it was like, 2 panels and they really contributed nothing to the plot, but that's why it's so bizarre to me that Hori took the time to go "don't worry folks, the pilots at a-okay!" Like, who was worried that they wouldn't make it!?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe he was watching GI Joe at the time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1789438442436526359

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheHan posted:

i kinda wonder if horikoshi just never figured out how to write a satisfying answer to shigaraki's character so he just came up with the most convoluted way you could punch a guy good.
The guys turns everything he touches to dust so...
It would be poetic justice to punch him so hard he turns to dust!
Or, maybe, he gets punched so hard the EVIL in him gets dusted!

Hmmm. But what about his Evil mentor? All Might already punched him hard x2.

What if we punch him so hard he rewinds!
Oh, and then you have to punch him as a baby!

Wait, what if you go and punch him through his spirit?!
Wait wait wait, Deku transcends AFO/OFA and becomes ONE (his fist punching on high looks like a 1 get it!!!) as the Quirk Singularity And punches him through all of time and space, the very essence of QUIRK rejecting the evil he created!

Man cocaine is loving great!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's not going for a punch, he's going for a hug.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Azubah posted:

He's not going for a punch, he's going for a hug.
And a back to belly suplex

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's tough love.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

A couple of them have names. One of them is Wedge!

As for their survival, it's presented as part of the stakes of Stars and Shiggy's fight. She wants to stop him, keep him from getting her power, and protect her crew. He wanted to kill her, steal her power, and take down everyone else. Her saving the pilots means that, although she couldn't win (It's Deku's fight) she didn't lose, either, and her last sacrifice had meaning.

It's a pretty lame mini-arc either way, but killing them off after would only serve to make her feel more pointless.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I do love that a Rail gun and a plasma? cannon have both now failed to damage Shiggys body, but somehow a punch is gonna do it in a universe where he's just using his normal human body.

The whole thing is kinda working as a finale, to the point I can feel the " You say Run" being queued up on each panel but I just find that pretty funny.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Shiggy's physical body isn't normal at all, it's all juiced up with the magic super soldier treatment that the doctor invented that is apparently so powerful, effective, and stable that it makes him completely invulnerable to almost all physical attacks(except Nagant being able to blow his hand off despite him no-selling plasma cannons).

This sequence is good, at least.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kanos posted:

Shiggy's physical body isn't normal at all, it's all juiced up with the magic super soldier treatment that the doctor invented that is apparently so powerful, effective, and stable that it makes him completely invulnerable to almost all physical attacks(except Nagant being able to blow his hand off despite him no-selling plasma cannons).

This sequence is good, at least.

Talking about Deku having a normal body, not Shigaraki

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Punching is stronger than Rail Guns. And that's how it should be.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Punching is stronger than Rail Guns. And that's how it should be.

And this is why, once again, Kendo is better than Momo. Momo can make all the big fancy guns and cannons she wants. None of them are a match for a really big fist.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Asuron posted:

I do love that a Rail gun and a plasma? cannon have both now failed to damage Shiggys body, but somehow a punch is gonna do it in a universe where he's just using his normal human body.

The whole thing is kinda working as a finale, to the point I can feel the " You say Run" being queued up on each panel but I just find that pretty funny.

He's using the last dregs of One for All, same as All Might doing United States of Smash. It isn't just his normal body punching, which is why he's being told to save said energy rather than use it to close the distance.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 13, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Deku is gonna hug All for One, who will then realise the strongest quirk was one he could not steal: Love. And then idunno, he'll dissolve into dust, and baby Shiggy will be there and Deku will smile and everyone will be all "wow the greatest hero!"

Then, uh, Deku will have no powers but he'll raise Eri and baby Shiggy and also become a teacher at UA because altho quirkless he has "all the knowledge of quirks". All Might becomes a typical dad to Deku, which gets awkward when Deku's actual dad rocks up, but then they freeze frame at the end, sitcom style.

This will be rated as a solid 8/10 ending for a shonen comic.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

He's using the last dregs of One for All, same as All Might doing United States of Smash. It isn't just his normal body punching, which is why he's being told to save said energy rather than use it to close the distance.

you understand the point of comparison was with a railgun and plasma cannon right? the funny part is punching really hard overcomes those?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Asuron posted:

you understand the point of comparison was with a railgun and plasma cannon right? the funny part is punching really hard overcomes those?

One for All as used by All Might restructured local weather patterns. So yes, One for All does punch hard enough to overcome those that is the point of (the physical strength stockpiling) One for All.

Like that is in fact just how the power works, it punches that hard, we've known this for most of the story. You're surprised One for All is stronger than a railgun and a plasma cannon?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Asuron posted:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hey guys, I'm beginning to think this manga about a world where people have superpowers isn't realistic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That's the exception, not the rule

(Kaminari wasn't at full power, the railgun didn't pack as much of a punch as it could've?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure it's well established in anime that bullets are waaay low, like down at the bottom, on the ladder of actual danger. Pretty sure swords, arrows and, like, a loving water balloon are consistently far more powerful.