Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Our nearly 5yo still wears a pull-up to bed for bladder control. Pity training was tough with him in general but he hasn't had an awake accident in half a year. His body just doesn't hold it in or wake him up while he's sleeping. Happens every other week or so during nap time at preschool too, and that's with them making sure he goes at least twice before his nap.

His older sister was potty trained on two days including overnights when she was 2.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pity training

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

how young can dyslexia be diagnosed? i am starting to think my son might have this. but maybe his issue is that he is four lol.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

notaspy posted:

Being dry overnight is about a hormone, either your kid produces it or they don't (until they do).

My eldest is still in night nappies while my youngest by 3 years didn't need them about 2 nights after being potty trained.

hmm interesting. my 9 yr old nephew still has to be on night diapers and parents are wondering if there is some muscular skeletal going on(tight muscles , toe walking) however their area has crappy pediatricians. I may bring it up next time I see them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

how young can dyslexia be diagnosed? i am starting to think my son might have this. but maybe his issue is that he is four lol.

He's four, he's not supposed to be able to read. My six year old is way ahead of the curve, and he made tons of dyslexia style mistakes a year ago because reading was (and is) still something that he needs to practice.

Left handedness on the other hand, we got him with that at age one, and the younger one also seems sinister like his mother.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

BonHair posted:

He's four, he's not supposed to be able to read. My six year old is way ahead of the curve, and he made tons of dyslexia style mistakes a year ago because reading was (and is) still something that he needs to practice.

Left handedness on the other hand, we got him with that at age one, and the younger one also seems sinister like his mother.

yeah i know i shouldn't expect fluent reading but he is really struggling to even learn his letters and from googling some of his speech issues (muddled, sometimes transposes sounds like he calls potatoes topatoes) are also possible signs of dyslexia. but he also just could be four! the schools here do free evaluations for students though so at least when he starts next year someone can look at him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BonHair posted:

it’s possible to be both too. extremely early in reading and writing while also being dyslexic or having dysgraphia, especially if autism is involved. and then one won’t find out about that until later because even professionals assume autism means delayed verbal development and extremely early verbal development seems to make everybody stupid about identifying it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Microplastics posted:

This sounds fascinating, where can I read more about this?

https://www.bbuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Understanding-Bedwetting.pdf

The hormone is called Vasopressin.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i had dysgraphia growing up but thankfully it only manifested itself in my handwriting (which is dire and i hold onto pens in a weird/non-standard way). i am glad i never had any difficulty with writing or expressing myself other than the physical task itself. loved writing and reading too.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i guess i still do have it but i hardly write anything down these days

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
that's wild. writing stuff down feels great you should do it often.

I like how my handwriting has changed over the years and now I write in ALL CAPS and it looks just like my mom's. Freud what does it mean?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i usually take quick short notes on my phone or sticky note at the computer. or i just try to remember. memory is a skill that you need to practice!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/KameronBennett/status/1788638948765389309?t=8IxP4FuwD_tIEMCEdXp0iw&s=19

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

i usually take quick short notes on my phone or sticky note at the computer. or i just try to remember. memory is a skill that you need to practice!

I used to be so powerful when I had a DS with a flash cart containing Brain Age and Cooking Mama

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that's wild. writing stuff down feels great you should do it often.

I like how my handwriting has changed over the years and now I write in ALL CAPS and it looks just like my mom's. Freud what does it mean?

when I fill out forms I use all caps because my handwriting is so bad all caps makes it legible

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
absolutely same. when I need to do a capital letter it's just a bigger letter than the other letters.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Computers made my always lovely writing even worse

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Toddler has been wrecking her mom lately by clearly expressing preference for me. Doing me no favors here, kid!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^ that sucks a ton. Remember to make special mom-toddler time, and it will (hopefully) pass. I went through the same and now it's fine. Partly is also toddler maturity.

drat toddler, not seeing all the invisible bitchwork your mom puts in!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
4 year old was writing the word "kite" on his whiteboard, and when I read it he immediately said "that's a silent k!"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I hate soccer parents

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

shyduck posted:

I hate soccer parents

I have a guess, but why?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
hockey parents are much worse

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Today my 2yo wanted to go on the toy train at the mall.

Her: "Daddy! Choo Choo!"
Me: "no train today. We're going home now."

/Puts her hand to her ear like a phone.
Her: Hallo! Hallo. Yes. Choo Choo? Ja!
/Puts the "phone" down.
Her: Daddy. Choo Choo yes!

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Can't win 'em all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Votskomit posted:

Today my 2yo wanted to go on the toy train at the mall.

Her: "Daddy! Choo Choo!"
Me: "no train today. We're going home now."

/Puts her hand to her ear like a phone.
Her: Hallo! Hallo. Yes. Choo Choo? Ja!
/Puts the "phone" down.
Her: Daddy. Choo Choo yes!

And then she got to ride the choo choo?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Unfortunately not. She forgot about it 2 minutes later then accidentally stole some sunglasses from a shop, so it evens out.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
drat. The days of my 2 year old quietly staying in his room until 9am on weekends are over. Now, when he wakes up at 7, he comes into our room and our glorious lie-in is ended prematurely

Edit: although today it was 8am, so not as bad as it could have been

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
block letters gang, to the point where I think I have to stop doing it at home to avoid confusing kiddo

Happy mother's Day to those who celebrate

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there...

But especially the grandmas who are trying to make today about themselves. You're the REAL mothers after all.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
6 year old started off Mother's Day by telling her mother she was always lazy for sleeping in so things are going great!

I know that empathy doesn't really hook up yet but love being worried that I'm raising a sociopath.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

ikanreed posted:

I have a guess, but why?
My kid is doing a U6 beginner rec league and it's just supposed to be fun but there were a couple of parents acting like this was Premier League and it was just getting on my nerves

RBC posted:

hockey parents are much worse
I've played for 30 years with some reffing and coaching sprinkled in, and you know what, you're not wrong. I reffed briefly when I was a younger teen and quit because I got tired of being sweared at by screaming adults

shyduck has issued a correction as of 16:20 on May 12, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kid is in a U8 league and every kid on his team is chill and working to pass the ball and listen to the coach except for ONE kid who just wants to speed around with the ball and shoot on goal without ever looking at his teammates.

the kid also has a wild temper and he tried to swing on another kid when the opposing team scored a goal. it's so bad that he loses his mind during practice if his "team" loses the scrimmage.

like dude it's your own loving teammates. calm down.

according to his mom the kid plays soccer with his dad a bunch. literally never met the dad or even seen him.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The hockey parent experience looks a bit miserable from the outside, at least for anything even slightly competitive. Renting early morning rink time to get in a little more practice before tryouts for the next league district over *Nixon voice* my god

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrhHE8FL4nY

Me irl

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

happy mother's day to all the moms

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

me, admiring a pair of wonderful cormorants at the cincy zoo: whoa cool birds, look honey.
12 year old next to me, gesturing at birds and plainly speaking to himself: gotta get me a skibidi slice

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
happy mothers day... ladies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

for mothers day i told my wife i would do all the diaper changes. my daughter, knowing this, took four gigantic shits today. where did it all come from!