Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I don't mind titles being unified. What I can't stand is when instead of being represented by multiple belts, it inevitably gets boiled down to one title belt. Have more championships represented by multiple belts, you dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

edogawa rando posted:

Wrestler goes for a pin

1-2-kick out

"That was a three!" No it wasn't, get on with it, you weenie.

I want someone to just keep on arguing that it was in fact a three. Just grinding the match to a complete halt as he talks and talks, slapping three fingers into his palm. Picking up his opponent and asking him if he also thought it was a three.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
One of mine is ladder matches where wrestlers will run the ropes at full speed, then struggle to climb a ladder, then get knocked off and be moving at full speed again.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hoss Corncave posted:

One of mine is ladder matches where wrestlers will run the ropes at full speed, then struggle to climb a ladder, then get knocked off and be moving at full speed again.

Wrestling is great because you can do almost anything, as long as you set it up reasonably. Most of these little things could be improved with about 30 seconds of planning.

If you have a bunch of rope running stuff you want to do in a ladder match, put it at the start. Trade some weapon shots to the legs mid match, and now you have a good reason why climbing the ladder may take some time near the finish. You can even save a 'run and do big a dive' or whatever for late in the match as the no sell spot to pop the crowd once the pace has started to slow.

I know everyone wants to get their poo poo in, and they can, but it's obvious if that is the only thing they've thought about.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Wrestler goes for a pin

1-2-kick out

hate to credit Punk for actual wrestling acumen but I did always like it when he transitioned from a nearfall to the anaconda vise instead of sitting there all "hunnnh? not 3?"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I want someone to just keep on arguing that it was in fact a three. Just grinding the match to a complete halt as he talks and talks, slapping three fingers into his palm. Picking up his opponent and asking him if he also thought it was a three.

Chikara did this and the wrestler actually convinced Bryce it was 3 so he rang the bell

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hoss Corncave posted:

There's a three-way tagteam cruiserweight ladder match from Starrcade 2000 of all things where Tony Schiavone actually tries to explain why they're slower to climb the ladders by talking about how you can lose your balance when you get to the top steps of the ladder.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The heel always demands, "That was three!"

The face always asks, "Wasn't that three?"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Aminata did two 2-counts and was "that's four!"

Or maybe it was 1-count and 2-count, I don't remember.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Three ain’t enough man I need five

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
wasn't there a match recently (I think within the last year) where the goal was to get a cumulative ten count or something like that? I feel like it's the kind of contest DDT would do but I can't remember the participants or the name of the stip

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

wasn't there a match recently (I think within the last year) where the goal was to get a cumulative ten count or something like that? I feel like it's the kind of contest DDT would do but I can't remember the participants or the name of the stip

Not sure in the last year, but both New Japan (Shingo vs Taichi in a first to 30 count for the KOPW) and DDT (MAO vs Shunma in a Kids Room Deathmatch first to 27 count) have done it since the pandemic

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

SG Bamboo posted:

Not sure in the last year, but both New Japan (Shingo vs Taichi in a first to 30 count for the KOPW) and DDT (MAO vs Shunma in a Kids Room Deathmatch first to 27 count) have done it since the pandemic

I still chuckle about MAO busting out cinder blocks in that match and getting away with it by claiming they were building blocks

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

as far as pins go, I find it extremely tedious when announcers linger on pinning technique being the blame for someone kicking out at two

JR being the worst offender in recent years

much more so when it's framed as the wrestler just being forgetful or lazy with their pins, rather than at least selling it like someone's too exhausted or rushed for a proper pin

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

SG Bamboo posted:

the NJ match was the one I was thinking of, thanks!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

JR would get so hilariously offended if someone didn't hook the leg and the other guy kicked out. :bahgawd: "You would have had that if you hooked the leg, what are you stupid, who trained you to wrestle" :bahgawd:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Another pet peeve of mine is when you see someone start to blatantly move on from the pinning attempt before the kickout.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grendels Dad posted:

I want to see one where the ref goes wait... Was that three? Oh my bad! -calls for bell-

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

The337th posted:

as far as pins go, I find it extremely tedious when announcers linger on pinning technique being the blame for someone kicking out at two

JR being the worst offender in recent years

much more so when it's framed as the wrestler just being forgetful or lazy with their pins, rather than at least selling it like someone's too exhausted or rushed for a proper pin

Strange, I find it part of the story of the match! At lot of times (especially heels) they ARE being lazy or prideful, and faces ARE gung-ho and forgetful

just ignore me in my own home mentioning that it's a bad pin and spoiling the bite

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anyone have any pet peeves from a particular wrestler that annoys you? I have noticed rewatching older shows that Bradshaw always starts getting up at about 2.75 into a pin when he wins a match. I notice it every time now and I can't believe he never got corrected by someone.

Wrestlers adjusting their clothing while lying on the mat selling.
There's a bunch of people who do this, but I found it especially noticeable with big guys like Vader and Samoa Joe.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

My biggest pet peeve is when a heel's theme starts playing while someone's in the ring and they turn towards the ramp and do that "come on, come here and let me kick your rear end" motion for 7 minutes straight while the heel sneaks up behind them.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever explored the lore of how a wrestler's theme gets played? If the heel is sneaking in through the crowd, are we to believe that he called the sound guy to play his music? Do wrestlers have NFC chips embedded in them that triggers their theme song when they get close enough to the entrance ramp? What about when someone's music starts playing after they just got done running the heels out of the ring? I think the sound guy knows too much.

It's different for making the lights go out, that's obviously a psychic power that goth people have.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was that funny time in ECW that Taz was doing a run-in, walked all the way over to the sound guy, made him play his music and then went back to the run-in

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

DeathChicken posted:

There was that funny time in ECW that Taz was doing a run-in, walked all the way over to the sound guy, made him play his music and then went back to the run-in

Holy poo poo Taz owns even more than I ever knew lmao

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

CommonShore posted:

I want to see one where the ref goes wait... Was that three? Oh my bad! -calls for bell-

this has definitely happened, maybe in Chikara?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Complaining to the ref is fine because there’s nothing real athletes like doing more than complaining to the refs

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I clearly remember one of the Orange Cassidy/PAC matches (maybe Revolution 2020, maybe the 3 way with Omega) where he pins someone for a one count and he holds up 2 fingers and started to argue with the ref. I loved that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AlmightyPants posted:

I clearly remember one of the Orange Cassidy/PAC matches (maybe Revolution 2020, maybe the 3 way with Omega) where he pins someone for a one count and he holds up 2 fingers and started to argue with the ref. I loved that.

Luther did that on D/Elevation a couple times, but just shrieking at the ref and doing that weird pee dance that he does.

I miss Chaos Project.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

edogawa rando posted:

Wrestler goes for a pin

1-2-kick out

Or as Vince McMahon used to say, "ONE TWO HE GOT HIM NO HE DIDN'T".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
ON HIS CHEST, TWO, AND YAAHH

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
A similar wrestling pet peeve, while we're still on the subject: when it's clear that a kickout is just the pinner leaping back and the person being pinned barely moved. Takes me out of the whole thing.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hello Wrestling Question Thread friends, I have a question

A while back I watched an insane Japanese match on YouTube that had a ton of people in it and most of them were dressed up like random characters, I remember there being a C-3P0 and an R2-D2 for example, and also there was these two bald guys who I think were twins who did a bunch of hosed up poo poo. I don't remember. Anyway, I wanna put it on the tv at the comic store because I think that would be funny but my google skills are not up to the task. What the hell am I thinking of?? Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure someone put themselves in a barrel and then did a dive onto a bunch of people on the outside and it was really cool. Hope this helps.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sandman from ECW posted:

Hello Wrestling Question Thread friends, I have a question

A while back I watched an insane Japanese match on YouTube that had a ton of people in it and most of them were dressed up like random characters, I remember there being a C-3P0 and an R2-D2 for example, and also there was these two bald guys who I think were twins who did a bunch of hosed up poo poo. I don't remember. Anyway, I wanna put it on the tv at the comic store because I think that would be funny but my google skills are not up to the task. What the hell am I thinking of?? Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure someone put themselves in a barrel and then did a dive onto a bunch of people on the outside and it was really cool. Hope this helps.

Hell that is one of the Great Space Wars that Michinoku Pro do every December.

Great Space War 10 was the one with R2D2 & 3PO. And also Taro Nohashi as Yoda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFV4KGmdooM

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Hell that is one of the Great Space Wars that Michinoku Pro do every December.

Great Space War 10 was the one with R2D2 & 3PO. And also Taro Nohashi as Yoda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFV4KGmdooM

Oh my gooood this is it. Thank you forkboy84. This is gonna rule!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Also have to say that the one from 2012 (Great Space War Vol.7) has an absolutely phenomenal thumbnail of Daisuke Sekimoto as the Incredible Hulk. And I've just noticed an incredibly low budget Iron Man in the background too.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Also have to say that the one from 2012 (Great Space War Vol.7) has an absolutely phenomenal thumbnail of Daisuke Sekimoto as the Incredible Hulk. And I've just noticed an incredibly low budget Iron Man in the background too.

I've got three hours until I close, so this is excellent news. In fact, I don't think I'm ever gonna put anything else on the tv. It's the best of both worlds.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

How do wrestlers make the snapping noise when doing the “I’m breaking your fingers” thing? I haven’t examined any instances of this spot lately but it seems like everyone’s hands are all occupied so I can’t figure out who would be slapping their leg or whatever and when.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Ganso Bomb posted:

How do wrestlers make the snapping noise when doing the “I’m breaking your fingers” thing? I haven’t examined any instances of this spot lately but it seems like everyone’s hands are all occupied so I can’t figure out who would be slapping their leg or whatever and when.

Pay attention to their elbows, the sound comes from smacking their sides when they do the "break"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Miching Mallecho posted:

Pay attention to their elbows, the sound comes from smacking their sides when they do the "break"

That was my next thought but it’s always so loud, I assumed they couldn’t get that much noise out of it. Gonna keep my eyes peeled next time I see that spot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's someone under the ring with a cracker and a sack full of walnuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

That was my next thought but it’s always so loud, I assumed they couldn’t get that much noise out of it. Gonna keep my eyes peeled next time I see that spot.

just take your shirt off wherever you are and try for your self op