Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Inspector Hound posted:

I love essentially everything he's done, even any entry in the Rush Hour series is a good choice for a movie to force someone to watch on a date.

Money talks is top tier tucker imo, I don't think it's streaming anywhere currently but it's worth a look if it ever pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

veni veni veni posted:

Haven't even heard of this but I'm guessing it's about the japanese sweepstakes guy. I remember reading about that and wondering how the gently caress it was even real. I'll have to check that out cause I still don't really get it.

I watched a 90 minute documentary and on it and I still don’t really get it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Brocktoon posted:

I watched a 90 minute documentary and on it and I still don’t really get it.

There's a This American Life story that lasts 30 minutes that succinctly sums it up.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Inspector Hound posted:

I know everyone here has seen The 5th Element just as many times as I have, but it's on Hulu and Prime right now and it's worth an evening. The word it brings to mind is "joy;" the costumes, the performances, the jokes, the plot itself, and did I mention the costumes? Saying there are no original sci-fi movies coming out now is a little like saying there aren't any real bands anymore, but this does feel different from non-franchise movies now. It drops you into the universe and communicates it to you as well as it needs to through throwaway dialogue and slight twistings of sci-fi tropes as it goes, giving them more room for the important parts: the costumes and Chris Tucker. The music is great too, the North African and Middle Eastern sound is different from most sci-fi movies that just give you blaring horns or pop music used ironically. It might be the best work some of the cast has done, you decide who. Chris Tucker. He should have won an academy award for this

The art and artist debate continues

I know Lowtax sucks but a couple of the skits were his daughter when she was younger telling some wild rear end stories that they animated and they were really funny and cute so that gets a pass from me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah I always forget Luc Besson is a classic French pedophile. It really ruins The Professional.

Him and Larry Clark need to be on a watchlist.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Asnorban posted:

I'd throw a spoiler on that. That episode lives in television history and experiencing it unspoiled is one of the greatest TV watching moments I've ever had.

How are you even supposed to watch the Gethard show.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Spoilers: the second Bob Newhart show was just a dream in the head of the first Bob Newhart

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Additional spoilers: Drew Carey goes into a coma and then swaps souls with Mimi's newborn baby briefly before convincing the baby soul that life is worth living

Man that show got weird

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Additional spoilers: Drew Carey goes into a coma and then swaps souls with Mimi's newborn baby briefly before convincing the baby soul that life is worth living

Man that show got weird

I admired the story that he supposedly used up all the heat he had from Whose Line and his general career to convince ABC to give him a massive episode order, and then he used the guaranteed order to just do whatever the gently caress that they wanted with the show and get really, really weird with it. Not necessarily good weird, but interesting at least. Fun to watch in reruns as a kid.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I admired the story that he supposedly used up all the heat he had from Whose Line and his general career to convince ABC to give him a massive episode order, and then he used the guaranteed order to just do whatever the gently caress that they wanted with the show and get really, really weird with it. Not necessarily good weird, but interesting at least. Fun to watch in reruns as a kid.

I still remember the plot where Drew cut his house in half to ship it to Lake Michigan but ran out of money(?) so the rest of the season he just had plastic sheets covering half of the set. Even as a kid I thought it was novel and bizarre to have a sitcom commit to the bit like that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shageletic posted:

How are you even supposed to watch the Gethard show.

On YouTube, everything's up there except for the last two seasons
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfWTNhVnrYRGEDH06XUzdu5_-irFqzDKX

One Man's Trash is the iconic episode but there's various amounts of gold spread all over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwi_kE0gy94

There's an episode guide here, just pick one you like the guests on :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Chris_Gethard_Show_episodes

Personally, I'm a big fan of the chaos public access episodes like Ruin This Show, The Hero's Journey, J.D.'s Nightmare or the 2016 Election Special (which was only broadcast once and never again).

You can even watch the successor show The Special on youtube which was a very very different public access show but also featured Richard Kind in at least one episode as well as murderer Michael Alig.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLv6h4AcoO1tUoiCT1BD78-WyHOb5Cnrx

Or Chris Gethard Presents series which highlighted up and coming comedians doing public access episodes in the style of tcgs on youtube. There might even be some of the planet scum broadcasts out there.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuHajmgBQxCG0klMpnYQkVP0AEDQo7yEb

Or even more there's the George Lucas Talk Show which features a lot of TCGS alums
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMVIweCzhjjDSzh2o9i6kK3P2XviuFcI4

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 11, 2024

Dog Doggleman
Mar 9, 2024
I watched Unfrosted last night. Thank god for Larry David is all I’ll say.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
No, but how are you even supposed to watch the Gethard show. I can't imagine.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Pepe Arnold posted:

I watched Unfrosted last night. Thank god for Larry David is all I’ll say.

I only just realized that Curb Your Enthusiasm has been running for 24 years. David started it when he was a middle-aged man with old man grumpy attitudes. And now he's actually in his 70s.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah and while you can watch the year by year progress of Richard Lewis melting (RIP), Larry just kinda always looked like an old man.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

fez_machine posted:

On YouTube, everything's up there except for the last two seasons
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfWTNhVnrYRGEDH06XUzdu5_-irFqzDKX

One Man's Trash is the iconic episode but there's various amounts of gold spread all over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwi_kE0gy94

There's an episode guide here, just pick one you like the guests on :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Chris_Gethard_Show_episodes

Personally, I'm a big fan of the chaos public access episodes like Ruin This Show, The Hero's Journey, J.D.'s Nightmare or the 2016 Election Special (which was only broadcast once and never again).

You can even watch the successor show The Special on youtube which was a very very different public access show but also featured Richard Kind in at least one episode as well as murderer Michael Alig.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLv6h4AcoO1tUoiCT1BD78-WyHOb5Cnrx

Or Chris Gethard Presents series which highlighted up and coming comedians doing public access episodes in the style of tcgs on youtube. There might even be some of the planet scum broadcasts out there.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuHajmgBQxCG0klMpnYQkVP0AEDQo7yEb

Or even more there's the George Lucas Talk Show which features a lot of TCGS alums
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMVIweCzhjjDSzh2o9i6kK3P2XviuFcI4

Sweet! Appreciated.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

No, but how are you even supposed to watch the Gethard show. I can't imagine.

From experience? Being depressed, anxious, and lonely.

e: and having good taste and being too into the improv scene in NYC. But that's just a bonus, the former is a requirement.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 11, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On one hand the Contestant (or the Life in Prizes show) is hosed up, but on the other hand I don't see how it's all that different from those extreme survival shows like Alone except weirder. Something about it just seems meaner, but at the end of the day it's just a dude who agreed to do some weird challenge.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's absurd how low some people rate The Lost World just because it was a not so good follow up to an amazing movie. It's a good action blockbuster with a good cast, and Pete Postlethwaite having fun...but people often talk about it like it's a Jurassic World movie or something. I'd wager it's gonna be a long time until we ever get another Jurassic Park movie as good as the second one. Still hasn't happened and I don't trust the increasingly stupider Chris Pratt films.
I guess it's just expectations. Like if this were Meg 3 or Jurassic World 3 and not the sequel to Jurassic Park people would be like "WOW A CHARMING AND ENTERTAINING HOLLYWOOD BLOCKBUSTER"
Dogg it's still better than like 90% of the work Spielberg has done after A.I.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The main problem with The Lost World is that as a whole it's a narrative mess, it's a really dumb movie, though those problems are greatly offset by the fantastic set pieces.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah it's definitely flawed but it's followed by decades of films that are almost all flaws, so it's kind of shocking in what low regard people hold it. It's still better than like 80% of the Hollywood action blockbusters of the last 20 years. Like, I'd rather watch it than any Marvel film ever made. It's a dumb fun popcorn muncher with a great cast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Lost World is by far the least bad in a series of awful sequels that shouldn't exist. Jurassic Park should have never had a sequel. I know that's not how the world works because money exists, but the first movie is basically perfect. It's unbeatable. there's nowhere to go but down, because JP covers literally everything you'd ever want from a Dinosaur movie. The only thing you can do for sequels is "More! Bigger!" But that's not why JP is so good. it's the building of tension, the reveals, the brilliant use of VFX. Everything is so masterfully executed. Not a single follow up has captured that at all.

At least the Lost World is sort of th Gremlins 2 of Jurassic Park. it's dumb as hell, but it's fun and still sort of feels like the first movie. JP3 was straight rear end. Might as well have been a sci-fi original. Somehow still better than Jurassic World by a mile which was one of the worst loving movies I've ever seen. I didn't make it more than 20 minutes into any of the JW sequels but as far as I can tell it somehow gets worse.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It gets a lot worse. People are willing to give so many dumb fun "b movie" blockbusters a pass, and like, The Lost World is that except also pretty good and well directed even if it is silly and narratively bloated. There's so many 2.5-3 hour blockbusters people swallow up from the last 20 years that aren't even half as good as The Lost World.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really like TLW, but it's more like a coda to Jurassic Park than a full narrative of its own. It feels like it's constantly struggling to justify its own existence and doesn't really have much to say about the events its depicting. It's just a straightforward mission movie with a reluctant hero who just wants to get to the end and have it be over with, and that tiredness really pervades the whole affair.

Malcolm is far less interesting as a straight man, and Goldblum struggled to marry his delightful shtick to a mostly thankless role. He still elevated it a bit, but could only do so much when he wasn't playing off of any bigger personalities. It feels like they cast Vaughn to be the new quirky weirdo, but Nick is so underwritten and Vaughn plays the role so straight that he's completely forgettable, as is Schiff as Eddie. Moore brings a lot to Sarah, but also isn't given much to do—same goes with Postlethwaite and Stormare. They all get a fun moment or two, but are largely just scenery.

I actually like the book quite a bit more. Levine and Thorne both have personalities that would have served as a compelling contrast to a more subduded Malcolm, with Levine's infectious enthusiasm serving as a way to imbue some awe and wonder back into the affair, and Thorne's grumpiness acting as a way to keep Malcolm's own cynicism at bay. Plus the book has a real air of eerie mystery around it which I wish was more present in the film.

It's still miles better than the World films, of course, but it makes sense why disappointment is the prevailing feeling around it.

e: vvv That's why Thorne was a welcome addition to the TLW book, he called Malcolm out on all his bullshit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 11, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I always liked Eddie and thought he was memorable, it's a good cast but you're right that they're not given a lot.

The thing about Malcolm is, as much as I love Goldblum, the character is a pseudo-intellectual imbecile who mostly just says things that were memetic and sounded "about right". That whole standing on the shoulders of geniuses thing is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You're just describing how scientific advancement works you gently caress!!
So I like how abbreviated his presence is in the first one. He's a required spice whose rope should be minimal. I prefer Sam Neill as an actor and I just prefer Grant and Ellie as characters. They feel less like a sexy buzzword spouting meme man. Like I love the joy and wonder and scientific curiosity they bring to the first film. Which makes it such a shame that they bring Neill back for 3 instead of 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
TLW is very much a TEMPLE OF DOOM, a crass and cynical inversion of the first film.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And like Temple of Doom, despite all of that still better than anything Spielberg has done in the last 20 years imo

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

And like Temple of Doom, despite all of that still better than anything Spielberg has done in the last 20 years imo

Munich? Lincoln?

I haven't seen the Fablemans but a lot of people liked it

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

feedmyleg posted:

... completely forgettable, as is Schiff as Eddie...

Hold on now, he may not have a lot to do up to the half way point but he then has one of the all time great on screen deaths.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not really high on any of those but ya know, different strokes for different folks. I did like War of the Worlds and Minority Report well enough.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
They're not my favorite movies, but the idea that Jurassic Park 2 is better than Lincoln is definitely a take

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I never really found Lincoln particularly revelatory, memorable, or spectacular, Daniel Day Lewis aside. :shrug: it is comparing apples and oranges but yeah

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
watching The Lost World after seeing Jurassic World was like a breath of fresh air. Like, we shat on it at the time, but it's so much better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Papercut posted:

They're not my favorite movies, but the idea that Jurassic Park 2 is better than Lincoln is definitely a take
I will say...Jurassic Park 2 is more of a close run perhaps but I would without hesitation put Temple of Doom above like 99% of Spielberg's 21st century output.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

my awful take is that I genuinely find Spielberg unbearable in most of his work. he just doesn't hit for me and I'm not sure why. Too much schmaltz?

his fun action movies are fun but anytime he tries to go deep it loses me

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, often corny, maudlin, and almost always politically wrong-headed.
The thing is, The Lost World may be a narratively bloated mess in the world of the 1997 blockbuster but compared to today where every blockbuster is some aimless bloated nearly 3 hour long bullshit, it's refreshingly brisk and focused lmao

Poor Eddie. He didn't deserve to go out like that cuz of a couple of incompetent wackjobs. Hey there I'm a paleontologist who thinks bringing a screaming injured baby t Rex into our trailer where there is a young human child as well is a really great idea. She even tells Malcolm to shut up afterwards, i mean the audacity. I do appreciate Hammond hiring some eco anarchist to basically help kill his nephew's men (could've even killed his nephew!).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 11, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, often corny, maudlin, and almost always politically wrong-headed.
The thing is, The Lost World may be a narratively bloated mess in the world of the 1997 blockbuster but compared to today where every blockbuster is some aimless bloated nearly 3 hour long bullshit, it's refreshingly brisk and focused lmao

Absolutely.1997 bloated has nothing on 2024 bloated.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Seriously this movie needed to end with Vince Vaughn being put in the electric chair. You even sabotaged the dude's gun while in his party?! Did you have a secret alliance with the loving t rex???

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The only reason needed for The Lost World to receive all the hate is that it felt a need to go out of its way to establish that Malcolm's daughter was a gymnast so that later in the film, she could do an uneven bars routine inside a purportedly well-constructed hut that was made entirely out of uneven bars so she could kick a raptor in the face. Say what you will, but Jurassic World 1 didn't commit such a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That scene is goofy and fun in a charming b movie way and I totally stand by it. If it were in some obscure pulpy 80s movie people would consider it Classic. It didn't even go out of its way to establish it. They mention it once at the beginning and then there's the payoff at the end.
"Funny" poo poo in the Jurassic World series is actively obnoxious in a different way imo. Hey maybe this is just nostalgia talking though.