Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wooger posted:

The picture you posted appears to show a quill stem. Post a close-up if you disagree.

The image posted earlier makes it look like it's a threadless stem on an adapter, so yeah was wrong on that one

https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2023/00%20-%20Py%C3%B6r%C3%A4t/IMG_3457.HEIC?img=size-1280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hi bike thread. After burning out from road riding and racing (collegiate and category) about 5 years ago, that also coincided with graduating, I am back on skinny tires. Since then I've mostly been riding my gravel bike, mountain bike, ebike and my motorcycle. So it's not like I lost my love for two wheels, just didn't want to pedal very hard anymore. Earlier this year I found myself missing the utter efficiency of a race bike, so I picked up a Tarmac. I've also been a mechanical shifting purist for a long time (long live super record), so this is the first time I own Di2, which is pretty cool.

Still dusting off the cobwebs, have about 100 miles on this thing so far. I need to get a fit to dial things in and sorely need new bars.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Russian Bear posted:

Hi bike thread. After burning out from road riding and racing (collegiate and category) about 5 years ago, that also coincided with graduating, I am back on skinny tires. Since then I've mostly been riding my gravel bike, mountain bike, ebike and my motorcycle. So it's not like I lost my love for two wheels, just didn't want to pedal very hard anymore. Earlier this year I found myself missing the utter efficiency of a race bike, so I picked up a Tarmac. I've also been a mechanical shifting purist for a long time (long live super record), so this is the first time I own Di2, which is pretty cool.

Still dusting off the cobwebs, have about 100 miles on this thing so far. I need to get a fit to dial things in and sorely need new bars.

Looks like a fun bike!
I love the feeling of a dialed in road bike and just sailing along fast and smooth.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Russian Bear posted:

Internal routing for the brakes and DI2 wireless parts makes a bike look so slick.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really want to test ride a tarmac 7 or 8 but I can't find on in xl size anywhere remotely close :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Internal routing for the brakes and DI2 wireless parts makes a bike look so slick.

I really dig this as well. Once I get some aero handlebars, the hydro hoses will be even more hidden from the front.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I really want to test ride a tarmac 7 or 8 but I can't find on in xl size anywhere remotely close :(

No big specialized shops around? Sometimes these 61s are hard to find.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think there's a Roubaix closer but no shops stock 61s within 200mi

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I need to figure out who will reprogram the di2 wireless to do 9 speed, if that's even possible. I've heard it will sort of auto adjust based on spacing but I dunno if it's smart enough to decide 9-10-11 SPD. Right now it's got an 8spd cassette out back. Presumably it's 130mm rear hub

I can't seem to find any info on this

I haven't had a chance to pull the rear wheel off my '89 Eddie Merckx yet but I'm pretty sure it'll have 130mm dropout spacing

Will Shimano 12 speed system work with a 130mm Axle? Chris King offers a 130mm 11 speed on their website but I'm not sure if they just need to update it or what

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

resident posted:

Why don’t you pay a bike mechanic to try to adjust your brakes for you before going hog wild on an experimental frame/component swap?

Sounds boring. Bought a used Pelago Hanko. It was basically the same size as my Peugeot, but with a little shorter chainstay. Novatec hubs, random rims. Some 9spd Deore 1x setup. TRP spyre mechanical disc brakes :v:

I'll swap some parts around and try to build a city bike from the spare parts.

I stripped the left crank's threads while removing it (bb felt really worn and I wanted to swap it), rip. No one sells LESCO CF-12 left cranks most likely so I'll ordered new Shimano octalink cranks. I always screw up something with square tapered cranks, and no one makes hollowtech2 cranks I like. Bought some compressionless jagwire brake housing etc. This again will not be cheap, but the frame feels a lot sturdier than Peugeot. Dropout thickness is 7mm vs peugeot's 4mm etc..

Of course there is a dent in downtube too which I noticed only later. Hopefully if/when it fails it won't fail catastrophically..

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gravel tonight
road tomorrow

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I really dig this as well. Once I get some aero handlebars, the hydro hoses will be even more hidden from the front.

No big specialized shops around? Sometimes these 61s are hard to find.

Never ceases to amaze me how many absolute units are on this board, I'm 6ft and anything bigger than 54 is an uncomfortable stretch

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Hadlock posted:

I haven't had a chance to pull the rear wheel off my '89 Eddie Merckx yet but I'm pretty sure it'll have 130mm dropout spacing

Will Shimano 12 speed system work with a 130mm Axle? Chris King offers a 130mm 11 speed on their website but I'm not sure if they just need to update it or what

reprogramming di2 to work with different speeds is definitely not a thing you can do. And the new 12s stuff even has different wires and plugs from the 11s stuff and is not compatible in any way.

but, a 12s shimano road cassette will still go onto a 11s HG freehub body. And 130 is standard road qr spacing so yeah any 11s qr road wheel will work fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Can the Archer D1X be programmed to intercept/read Di2 and send whatever ack signals back to it?
Seems unlikely Shimano’s signaling scheme is unencrypted.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Never ceases to amaze me how many absolute units are on this board, I'm 6ft and anything bigger than 54 is an uncomfortable stretch

is your head 24in of your 72in of height? you're definitely the outlier

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Just checking, but you are at least 6’5” right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

is your head 24in of your 72in of height? you're definitely the outlier

:shrug: my road bike is 56.5 and it's definitely too big for me, my straggler was 54 and the only way I could avoid having the hoods tilted back stupid far was to have a 60mm stem

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wooger posted:

6'4" and alllllll legs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

reprogramming di2 to work with different speeds is definitely not a thing you can do. And the new 12s stuff even has different wires and plugs from the 11s stuff and is not compatible in any way.

but, a 12s shimano road cassette will still go onto a 11s HG freehub body. And 130 is standard road qr spacing so yeah any 11s qr road wheel will work fine.

Well as long as I can use 12 speed gear then that's fine

Looks like a real basic r8100 groupset with rim calipers is like, $1200-1600? Probably not ready to pull the trigger on that just yet, but glad to know I can put brand new 2022 groupset on my 35yo frameset without so much as needing a spacer

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Slavvy posted:

:shrug: my road bike is 56.5 and it's definitely too big for me, my straggler was 54 and the only way I could avoid having the hoods tilted back stupid far was to have a 60mm stem

My 54cm aspero has a reach/stack of 388/555 has a 90mm stem. I'm only 175cm/~5'9". Unless the geometry has changed the 54cm straggler is 396/549, so an 80mm would stem would be equivalent.

Was thinking either the straggler has massive reach for the stated frame size (doesn't seem so), you're not 6 ft, or yeah you're all legs

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

wooger posted:

I'm 6'4 and have a lot of seat post. My saddle height is ~84.5cm. These "61" tarmacs are more of a traditional 60 than anywhere near a 62, which specialized doesn't even make. So if you're leggy then you don't necessarily need to be a super giant to ride one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

My 54cm aspero has a reach/stack of 388/555 has a 90mm stem. I'm only 175cm/~5'9". Unless the geometry has changed the 54cm straggler is 396/549, so an 80mm would stem would be equivalent.

Was thinking either the straggler has massive reach for the stated frame size (doesn't seem so), you're not 6 ft, or yeah you're all legs

It's the last one yeah

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

Most 6'2" guys looking to get low, I'd put on a 58cm. Some I might put on a 60cm.

The Straggler and other Surly bikes are outliers themselves. They're basically designed to be used with a chimney stack of spacers because the that 397mm reach on the size 54 is typical of a 58cm race bike while the stack is typical of a 54cm.

Show us pics of both setups. I'm really curious now because I'm the opposite outlier. I'm 5'10" and ride a 54cm Domane RSL (390mm reach, 527mm stack) with a slammed 140mm/-20deg stem and 91mm reach bars and still feel like I need to go longer.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 9, 2024

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Slavvy posted:

Surly's don't have normal geometry.
But also, height isn't very useful for figuring out correct frame size.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hadlock posted:

I would expect an 89 Merckx to have 126mm OLD, but even if so, it should be easy to cold set it to 130mm.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Springs almost over! I got 22 bike rides in 58 days with 515 miles recorded on a wall calendar that I write on.

edit: I have just been informed there are another 8 weeks in spring

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bicievino posted:

I would expect an 89 Merckx to have 126mm OLD, but even if so, it should be easy to cold set it to 130mm.

Took a closer look and the hubs are both fh-r7000 (105 from 2018) hubs. Measuring with a metric ruler looks like someone already did an excellent job of cold setting it. So I guess I'm all set. No surprise there, some other insane idiot already put a really nice modern groupset on here at some point, apparently

Got my first ride on it out of the way, a mere 3 miles but 200' vertical. Not a huge ride but a good first stretch of the muscles, particularly since busting my knee up about two months ago I haven't been moving all that much.

Bike feels good; need to lower the seat and find a longer stem though. on my old GT Edge it has a really long stem and I could really stretch out. I think the edge had a longer top tube too. The ride is very stable yet nimble, very happy with the geometry.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Salt Fish posted:

Springs almost over! I got 22 bike rides in 58 days with 515 miles recorded on a wall calendar that I write on.

edit: I have just been informed there are another 8 weeks in spring
But what does Strava say?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have experience with Brompton electric conversions? I’m looking at getting one, and it looks like it’s ~$1,000 less for the Grin kit (or similar) than the Brompton Electric equivalent. Only potential thing I’m thinking about is that I am at about the 110 kg weight limit with a bag, and I’ll have the telescoping seat post. Any particular concerns about that, or is it probably overbuilt enough that a like 250W motor will still be fine?

The other big upside is that you can bring the conversion kit batteries on a plane, which is appealing. I really just want the assist for when I run into a really gnarly San Francisco hill vOv

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Looking for single speed road (aero) hydro brake levers - is TRP Hylex the only option for this?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Thanks to the Unbound race directors for adding 4k more feet to the 200 elevation profile this year. Just what I needed to really make this a challenge.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
put in an order for a bike at my local shop should be arriving sometime next week

Excited to do some city riding

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

resident posted:

Thanks to the Unbound race directors for adding 4k more feet to the 200 elevation profile this year. Just what I needed to really make this a challenge.

You're nuts lol

"Along your 200 mile journey, you’ll travel to the furthest depths of your psyche"

I have no doubt about that!

verbal enema posted:

put in an order for a bike at my local shop should be arriving sometime next week

Excited to do some city riding

What'd you get?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Salt Fish posted:

What'd you get?

I told the bike shop guy I don't know poo poo about gently caress and he was like ok well you don't need a 1400 dollar bike here is a model on sale that does what you want. Gets you to work and back easy to ride fits you and won't disintegrate under you while you ride so I picked up a roll A:1 Adventure

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

verbal enema posted:

I told the bike shop guy I don't know poo poo about gently caress and he was like ok well you don't need a 1400 dollar bike here is a model on sale that does what you want. Gets you to work and back easy to ride fits you and won't disintegrate under you while you ride so I picked up a roll A:1 Adventure

Looks like a good bike!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Spirit animal.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Today, I had a lot of stuff going on, and one of those stuffs was attending a vintage bike event organized by a nice guy I met last year because bicycles.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a vintage road bike to buy on the cheap that I could fix up. These things come up on Facebook, and usually, whoever is selling them won't reply to messages beyond the first or so. But this time, there was one for sale, and I got it for a song.

It's ridable, and it appears to be mostly original. Lots of squeaks. I've already hit most of the obvious areas with a healthy dose of 3-in-One, and that took care of a lot of the squeaks. But, I know I'm in for a decent first bicycle project.

My plans for this bike are to do a... well, I don't know what to call it. I don't plan on going down to bare metal and repainting everything, as the paint that's there is still in surprisingly good shape. I also don't plan on doing some kind of crazy frame-up modernization. I want to keep what I can, including those wonderful shifters. But, the tires have got to go, and I might just replace the wheels. Basically, I want to fix what needs fixing, upgrade to some modern things where appropriate, like better cables and housing, better bar tape (that bar tape is really keen, but I might as well be holding the bare handlebars), and maybe some kind of stem with a longer reach, if that's the right word. I feel like I could be a bit more forward on this bike. Or, maybe not. I can straddle the bike, but the top tube is right there in my crotch. The riding position is pretty different.

I really like the brake levers. Why did they ever get rid of the levers that let you easily use the brakes when you're riding on the tops?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Because they were pretty poo poo at actually braking, they were called suicide levers for a reason

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

Because they were pretty poo poo at actually braking, they were called suicide levers for a reason

Oh.

Well, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Still, I dig this bike.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They're alarmingly durable bikes, and they're in pretty, so it's got that going for it

Buying a new aluminum wheel set will drastically improve your braking capability. Turns out chrome polished steel is not a fantastic braking surface as it's slippery as poo poo

My buddy lived with me for a while and got into bikes, his first "vintage" bike was a red Schwinn of similar type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

there's so many of those 70s schwinns still around, not the least of which because they are built like tanks. it's like riding a structural I-Beam around, for better or worse. have fun with it.

although if it still has the original steel wheels, swap those out. they're hot garbage with no redeeming value besides "aLl OrIgInAl" in yhe craigslist ad when you sell it