Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painted an ice base

Loving the maroon and gold scheme. Very regal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Did some more painting. Mostly contrasts/speedpaints and drybrushing, but I'm happy enough with the results.

Had a notion to paint up an adventuring party because its been a while since I did any straight-up fantasy.

The blade of the spear on that one dude (Geth? Gith? I've not played D&D since 2e) is supposed to be a bit longer than it is, but the end misprinted and I didnt notice until he was undercoated and half basecoated. At that point I was on a roll so I just trimmed the misprint off and shaved the remains into something that looked good enough rather than reprinting.

Then did a bunch of cyberpunk guys (All from UNIT9 on myminifactory)

Guy on the left was a colour test, and when he was done I decided to invert the colours for the rest of the team, the red suit just didnt quite land like I thought it would. He can be their team leader, its still a unified colour scheme.

And some Malifaux Tanuki.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Flipswitch posted:

How did you paint that ice base? Looks fantastic.

It's Nebalebadingdong. They painted a dark blue and worked up progressively more layers of lighter and lighter blue with a brush that has a very fine point.

There're no ice effects or anything there, that's all paint.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Flipswitch posted:

How did you paint that ice base? Looks fantastic.

i kinda stumbled into it. start dark and worked my way up, adding cracks and stuff. i think subsequent ones will look better and hopefully i can get it down to a series of steps and publish it online somewhere

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
On the subject of ice bases here are some that don't require quite same degree of dedication to freehand- the shards are chopped up first.

Do you want to summon a Gargantuan Ice Elemental?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

painted an Ork boy, my first regular one. This is also the first model I've painted that I'm actually pretty happy with. Super impressive stuff ITT that's motivating me to keep learning

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Combination sanity check and advice request. I have a set of Kommandos built that I need to get painted eventually for Kill Team. I don't especially want to do the same "bright color everything" as everyone else, and while thinking about LOTR-esque grey orks I thought about another greyscale scheme - Sin City style "monochrome except for splashes of color". Probably red in this case, because I also had Madworld on the mind. I've primed the grot and squig as test models, since I care about them a lot less than the main boyz/nob and they're less painful if I have to strip a failed paintjob. It's almost certainly going to have to wait until my replacement brushes arrive, so I have a while to figure out the exact approach and techniques.
On to the questions:
  • Is this even a good idea? I've seen others do it for other factions, and I've liked how it's turned out, but my taste in paintjobs is a bit askew and maybe it'll just look bad or unfinished to other people.
  • Is there anyone who's done a particularly good job of showing how to do this properly with a brush? There's plenty of advice for this with airbrushes, since it's similar to the zenithal highlighting that's all the rage right now, but I don't have an airbrush and have no intention of getting one. I've done some searching and found a few resources, just seeing if there's anyone I should prioritize listening to.
  • Anything I'm not thinking about for this that I really should be?
(This is running in parallel with the marine and vet guard teams I've posted about before, rotating between projects to keep my sanity. No expansion beyond this point until at least two of the three teams are completely done.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

painted an Ork boy, my first regular one. This is also the first model I've painted that I'm actually pretty happy with. Super impressive stuff ITT that's motivating me to keep learning
Looks really nice and clean, next step is figuring out how you want to do shades and highlights to give it a bit more contrast and pop.

SkyeAuroline posted:

• Is this even a good idea? I've seen others do it for other factions, and I've liked how it's turned out, but my taste in paintjobs is a bit askew and maybe it'll just look bad or unfinished to other people.
Paint what makes you happy, because they're your models and you're the person that will care about them most.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 13, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Looks really nice and clean, next step is figuring out how you want to do shades and highlights to give it a bit more contrast and pop.

Paint what makes you happy, because they're your models and you're the person that will care about them most.

Thanks! Any suggestions for how to best do that? I’ve been using Straken Green over Waagh Flesh for the skin, was thinking about maybe a slightly lighter green to put on the raised parts of the arm / edges of the ears and stuff but I’m not sure what a good color for that would be.

I technically already added shading with Nuln Oil and a layer of Straken covering the parts that got too dirty, and I used a Baal Red contrast over the shirt, which I think helped. I have an evil sunz yellow contrast which pops really well with Flash Gitz but I’m afraid to use it on the Averland Sunset pants which I finally managed to get right, they’re much smoother/better looking than my previous models with big yellow spots using FGY, which just seems to be hella patchy

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SkyeAuroline posted:

Combination sanity check and advice request. I have a set of Kommandos built that I need to get painted eventually for Kill Team. I don't especially want to do the same "bright color everything" as everyone else, and while thinking about LOTR-esque grey orks I thought about another greyscale scheme - Sin City style "monochrome except for splashes of color". Probably red in this case, because I also had Madworld on the mind. I've primed the grot and squig as test models, since I care about them a lot less than the main boyz/nob and they're less painful if I have to strip a failed paintjob. It's almost certainly going to have to wait until my replacement brushes arrive, so I have a while to figure out the exact approach and techniques.
On to the questions:
  • Is there anyone who's done a particularly good job of showing how to do this properly with a brush? There's plenty of advice for this with airbrushes, since it's similar to the zenithal highlighting that's all the rage right now, but I don't have an airbrush and have no intention of getting one. I've done some searching and found a few resources, just seeing if there's anyone I should prioritize listening to.
(This is running in parallel with the marine and vet guard teams I've posted about before, rotating between projects to keep my sanity. No expansion beyond this point until at least two of the three teams are completely done.)

Paint the whole thing in Black & White* and glaze the color on later in the spots you want it.

* Don't use black and white. Use a tinted grey (slightly warm or slightly cool, but I'd go warm since you are doing red)

Painting a few models in B&W is a great exercise regardless, as it makes you think in pure value, and being able to convey different materials and so on only in B&W will make the rest of your painting a heap better real fast. Prime black, work up the values slowly, and you will be a happy painter.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! Any suggestions for how to best do that? I’ve been using Straken Green over Waagh Flesh for the skin, was thinking about maybe a slightly lighter green to put on the raised parts of the arm / edges of the ears and stuff but I’m not sure what a good color for that would be.

I technically already added shading with Nuln Oil and a layer of Straken covering the parts that got too dirty, and I used a Baal Red contrast over the shirt, which I think helped. I have an evil sunz yellow contrast which pops really well with Flash Gitz but I’m afraid to use it on the Averland Sunset pants which I finally managed to get right, they’re much smoother/better looking than my previous models with big yellow spots using FGY, which just seems to be hella patchy
There's a lot of different techniques for doing shades and highlights, but the hardest part is figuring out where the shadows and the highlights go.

As you said you already did the shading on the skin with a wash, that's the most common suggested approach for beginners. Then yeah you re apply the basecoat on the more raised parts to bring back the basecoat color which will be your mid tone. Then you can do an edge highlight, or a dry brush to finish it up. To figure out the correct colors you have the options of looking for someone that did a similar color scheme and copying their paint selection. The other options are buying into a paint range that has the three paint system of shade, mid, highlight for their colors. Or you can mix your own by taking a black/dark grey and mixing it with the base color for shades, and a warm white or a whiteish yellow and mixing it in for highlights.

I'd say the skin could use a tiny bit of highlighting like say on something like the knuckle bones and some other parts.

As for the clothes, that one I don't know, maybe do a light drybrush to catch some of the raised areas on the boots and pants to give it more pop? Well at least from the back, or maybe some edge highlights around the belts.

Then again, you don't have to do any of that if you're already happy and can save experimenting for the next miniature.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! Any suggestions for how to best do that?
No idea if this fits with your workflow, but if you prime minis in black you can get basic highlights/shading by just not filling in every nook and cranny when you paint.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 13, 2024

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finished a 6mm trash pile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxgWHzMvXOY

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

There's a lot of different techniques for doing shades and highlights, but the hardest part is figuring out where the shadows and the highlights go.

As you said you already did the shading on the skin with a wash, that's the most common suggested approach for beginners. Then yeah you re apply the basecoat on the more raised parts to bring back the basecoat color which will be your mid tone. Then you can do an edge highlight, or a dry brush to finish it up. To figure out the correct colors you have the options of looking for someone that did a similar color scheme and copying their paint selection. The other options are buying into a paint range that has the three paint system of shade, mid, highlight for their colors. Or you can mix your own by taking a black/dark grey and mixing it with the base color for shades, and a warm white or a whiteish yellow and mixing it in for highlights.

I'd say the skin could use a tiny bit of highlighting like say on something like the knuckle bones and some other parts.

As for the clothes, that one I don't know, maybe do a light drybrush to catch some of the raised areas on the boots and pants to give it more pop? Well at least from the back, or maybe some edge highlights around the belts.

Then again, you don't have to do any of that if you're already happy and can save experimenting for the next miniature.

Thanks those are great suggestions! Putting red dry brush on the list, and I’m gonna try some mixing on my next model. Always leery of it because I can never seem to replicate novel shades when I sit down to paint later but it’s something I’d like to learn

mellonbread posted:

No idea if this fits with your workflow, but if you prime minis in black you can get basic highlights/shading by just not filling in every nook and cranny when you paint.

Good idea! I started out using black primer and tried this on some guardsmen ages ago but couldn’t quite make it work. I think I’ve improved a bit and guardsmen are fiddlier than orks, so that might be fun to try on some. I switched to flat grey on general advice and it’s worked well but I’m interested in learning alternative methods

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Loving the primary colors on that Ork! My go-to with Ork clothing is to add off whites to your base. Theoretically the clothes get sun bleached and worn from extensive use, they should look old. It makes my reds into pinks, however, so ymmv (check out my boyz in my thread posts for examples).

Edit: oh right, new thread. I’ll try to get some shots of my Greenskinz versus Plage Marines once I get them done!

This is a really nice pile of garbage, sincerely

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 13, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, looks like trash.

I say that in the best way possible.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lumpy posted:

Paint the whole thing in Black & White* and glaze the color on later in the spots you want it.

* Don't use black and white. Use a tinted grey (slightly warm or slightly cool, but I'd go warm since you are doing red)

Painting a few models in B&W is a great exercise regardless, as it makes you think in pure value, and being able to convey different materials and so on only in B&W will make the rest of your painting a heap better real fast. Prime black, work up the values slowly, and you will be a happy painter.

I ended up painting the red normally, and I think it turned out okay as an experiment.

Happy enough with him to move on to the rest of the team; I set aside the squig to try a drybrush approach instead, but I really like how this worked out.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seeing someone pre-shade a miniature bust and then start glazing skin tones on it is so drat cool.

And then I look at my single unit of 10 warhams and think "I ain't doing that poo poo" to myself.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Loving the primary colors on that Ork! My go-to with Ork clothing is to add off whites to your base. Theoretically the clothes get sun bleached and worn from extensive use, they should look old. It makes my reds into pinks, however, so ymmv (check out my boyz in my thread posts for examples).

Edit: oh right, new thread. I’ll try to get some shots of my Greenskinz versus Plage Marines once I get them done!

This is a really nice pile of garbage, sincerely

Awesome thanks! I kinda want to evoke the Orks from my childhood which were often much more colorful than typical depictions now. I’ve also got a snotling Blood Bowl team to mix in with them, some converted/stuck to Nobz and others just playing a fun game of football in the middle of the mob, so I’m kinda going for a Roy of the Rovers sporty type vibe. I just now accidentally let my water get cloudy before dry brushing and it made some of it kinda pink, seemed to help with the red, so I’m gonna take your idea under serious consideration. Maybe some light red drybrush would help make things pop

SkyeAuroline posted:

I ended up painting the red normally, and I think it turned out okay as an experiment.

Happy enough with him to move on to the rest of the team; I set aside the squig to try a drybrush approach instead, but I really like how this worked out.

This guy kicks rear end, the goggles in particular are super impressive, love the effect. Grot models are the best and the more distinctive the better

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

On to the questions:
  • Is this even a good idea?
  • Is there anyone who's done a particularly good job of showing how to do this properly with a brush?

yes this is a perfectly viable way to do a team. people have been doing it for ages. it takes a good eye for composition to make it look outstanding but even a basic black and white :effort: scheme can look striking.

basecoat dark color (prob near-black), drybrush bright color (cold white or offwhite). apply heavier drybrushing or a lighter color on areas that should be well-lit.

there are other techniques to do this. inks, contrast, glazing, blending, airbrushing, w/e. but seriously, drybrushing looks great here. you can even drybrush the standout color (red?) if you want.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Crosspost from the 40k thread, but it was a lot of fun to make.

I've been having a lot of fun entering painting competitions lately, and my flgs's competition for March/April was "Magical Mischief" so naturally I thought of Ahriman loving up another massive spell. So I got to modeling and kitbashed a 30k Ahriman onto a 40k Ahriman disc, standing on a dead 30k Space Wolf, while electrocuting a 40k Space Wolf (entirely made up of bits from the bit box at the flgs), because Ahriman accidentally time traveled 10,000 years forward and of course landed in the same pickle.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SkyeAuroline posted:

I was wondering how they would turn out after your post yesterday. It looks great!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

OgreNoah posted:

I thought of Ahriman loving up another massive spell ... accidentally time traveled 10,000 years forward and of course landed in the same pickle.

The modeling and painting are superb, but most important of all in making it work is that you deeply understand Ahriman :golfclap:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hate the dimples on GW bases. It's not hard to deal with, it just takes some green stuff or Tamiya putty to fill in. I just don't like the step in preparing my bases is all.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I put on some sort of basing material anyway so the dimple causes no issues.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Frog Act posted:

This guy kicks rear end, the goggles in particular are super impressive, love the effect. Grot models are the best and the more distinctive the better

Thanks. Funny thing is, the goggle effect is actually a blending mistake I couldn't fix properly - I was hoping for a smooth gradient and... didn't quite achieve it. Paint was either thick enough to stay in discrete bands or thin enough that it just wicked away and pooled at the edges of the lens. Settled for the three bands and figured, it's a what, 15mm tall figure? That's going to be seen from 4-5 feet away under less than ideal lighting for 90% of its existence? The bands are fine. You don't see it at arm's length near as much.
Squig is primed, rest I have to wait for it to drop below 90% humidity before I can get them moving. If it doesn't drop in the next day or two, it'll just be guardsmen and Marines instead.

Colliwobble
Feb 23, 2014

Using glaze medium can keep your paints workable when they get that thin. You can buy it, but I always just made mine with 1 part acrylic matte medium and 9 parts water. Can also be used in a pinch to make washes with paint or acrylic inks.

Colliwobble fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 14, 2024

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Squig is primed, rest I have to wait for it to drop below 90% humidity before I can get them moving. If it doesn't drop in the next day or two, it'll just be guardsmen and Marines instead.

Squigs are great, it turns out

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

That's such a cool scheme, both in idea and execution!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

inscrutable horse posted:

That's such a cool scheme, both in idea and execution!

Thanks. For a grand total of four base colors, one wash, and five or six highlights, the scheme comes out surprisingly well.
9 days to do 10 orks, and at least one of those days is lost because I have to prime tonight and won't be able to go to painting right away. Fingers crossed it works out.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got this guy done for Olden Demon, I'm kinda worried about how shiny this lad is in the photos..

Love this guy, it's a great pose and his bandolier and shotgun are really well modelled, his right hand is a loving disaster, but he's defo one of my favourite classic Necromunda minis along with a certain Escher who's hair is amazing and the one bounty hunter with dual bolters that I'm currently hunting for on ebay...

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Would this be the thread to ask about magnetizing models?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

a pale ghost posted:

Yes, what are you trying to do?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Yes, what are you trying to do?

Magnetize models obviously. How do you turn plastic magnetic?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

chin up everything sucks posted:

Mix in iron filings into your primer, then....

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a pale ghost posted:

Maybe

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

chin up everything sucks posted:

This is one of my favorite things on YouTube:

Richard Feynman talking about Magnets, but really kind of just explaining to the interviewer that he can't possibly answer the interviewer's question in a way that will satisfy him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I got this guy done for Olden Demon, I'm kinda worried about how shiny this lad is in the photos..

Love this guy, it's a great pose and his bandolier and shotgun are really well modelled, his right hand is a loving disaster, but he's defo one of my favourite classic Necromunda minis along with a certain Escher who's hair is amazing and the one bounty hunter with dual bolters that I'm currently hunting for on ebay...

If you're worried about the shine, hit him with a coat of satin or matte varnish, especially if you're entering him into a comp.

Looks great though, half the fun of painting older models is working around the sculpting issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

What the christ, I'm trying to figure out whether you're hiding fantastic voyage technology or are just millions of sentient carpenter ants in a trench coat.

I've just started to play around with acrylic gouache for underpainting/grisaille and am enjoying it so far. Good coverage and a longer work time than a normal acrlyic are nice properties to have for it