Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
When I learned about that as a kid I was genuinely scared I could spontaneously combust at any time. Ball lightning was another thing that scared me (and I recall one of the weird old books at my library claiming that ball lightning is what causes spontaneous combustion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
The disappearance of Ambrose Bierce really freaked me out as a kid. Then it was just depressing when I got older.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking of Bierce, I was downright furious when I learned that the supernatural story of a farmer who vanished while walking toward his wife and children and could later be heard yelling for help in the same field but never seen, a story told as true in multiple books on the unexplained that I checked out from the library as a child, was actually just the plot of Bierce’s story “The Difficulty of Crossing a Field” and plagiarized from it wholesale.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

coronatae posted:

Couple years ago I was on vacation in Maine at the edge of a lake and had the brilliant idea to binge the Not Hot But Spicy archive right around bedtime. I couldn't fall asleep for half the night, then around 4AM when I was in a light, fitful doze I was suddenly startled awake by the sound of a loon laughing. My rear end was really sore the next day because I'd apparently been clenching my buttcheeks in terror all night :negative:

Is this the story behind your avatar?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

I AM GRANDO posted:

Speaking of Bierce, I was downright furious when I learned that the supernatural story of a farmer who vanished while walking toward his wife and children and could later be heard yelling for help in the same field but never seen, a story told as true in multiple books on the unexplained that I checked out from the library as a child, was actually just the plot of Bierce’s story “The Difficulty of Crossing a Field” and plagiarized from it wholesale.

I have fond memories of being scared shitless by probably the same books. Blowing my mind here. Wish I remembered the titles, I'd love to see how much total bullshit I believed.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Brad Steiger was one of the most prolific paranormal writers back in the day and in his STRANGE DISAPPEARANCES he write up Bierce's disappearance AND recaps a few Bierce stories like above, without saying they're fictional lol.

Book also goes over real missing child Donald Lee Baker, who's used nowadays by David Paulides for his "Missing 411" exploitation cases.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

I remember when my girlfriend and I moved into our first apartment together, I had a couple days there alone before she moved in.

I made the mistake of reading the SA ghost story thread. That's when I realized there was a full-length window on the bedroom door, which I hadn't quite noticed before, and which was just behind me out of my peripheral vision.

My God the poo poo my brain made up for that window.

Back in the day, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I were watching the first episodes of Marble Hornets as they came out. We had just watched one that was fairly creepy, and I went to use the terlet. When I got back, she was gone. I don't really believe in supernatural poo poo in most cases, but I sure did at that moment. I called out for her, and then hopped in my truck and drove around the condo complex. I tried calling her phone, and for some reason, at that very moment my cell phone service shat itself, and just turned into garbled static. I was calling a friend of mine, all like "Tara's gone, I can't get her on the phone, she just vanis--" and at that point she ran out by the truck, flagging me down.

Turns out, she had been hiding behind the curtains, and I freaked out so quickly she didn't even have the chance to pop out and scare me. And that's the story of why she's not allowed to prank me anymore (her decision, not mine)!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ah, early Marble Hornets is some fond memories of spooky poo poo. A lot of it really comes down to classic 'bump in the night' kind of horror, but they did it pretty well.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

an owls casket posted:

Back in the day, my then-girlfriend (now wife) and I were watching the first episodes of Marble Hornets as they came out. We had just watched one that was fairly creepy, and I went to use the terlet. When I got back, she was gone. I don't really believe in supernatural poo poo in most cases, but I sure did at that moment. I called out for her, and then hopped in my truck and drove around the condo complex. I tried calling her phone, and for some reason, at that very moment my cell phone service shat itself, and just turned into garbled static. I was calling a friend of mine, all like "Tara's gone, I can't get her on the phone, she just vanis--" and at that point she ran out by the truck, flagging me down.

Turns out, she had been hiding behind the curtains, and I freaked out so quickly she didn't even have the chance to pop out and scare me. And that's the story of why she's not allowed to prank me anymore (her decision, not mine)!

lol holy poo poo haha . thats cold. thats the kind of thing i would be internally furious about for years but never let on to my partner that it bothered me (because it is so stupid to be mad)

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Cat Wings posted:

this incident in Colorado (CN: child death).

This is a deeply weird article. The story is sad and there is some mystery, but the weirdness comes from the writing. It's like every person mentioned got to write several paragraphs about themselves and the result is something that reads like a number of people putting themselves in the middle of someone else's tragedy.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Does anyone remember the lady a few years ago who got accused of making deepfakes of cheerleaders and got crucified for it?

Looks like she was at least mostly innocent:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-fake-after-all

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Desert Bus posted:

Does anyone remember the lady a few years ago who got accused of making deepfakes of cheerleaders and got crucified for it?

Looks like she was at least mostly innocent:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-fake-after-all

quote:

When The Daily Dot, a tech news website, looked into the deepfake claims in May 2021, and asked Reiss about the methods he had used to establish that the videos had been digitally altered, he admitted he had relied on his “naked eye”, adding, “We hope Mrs Spone during the course of the preliminary hearing or trial will enlighten us as far as what her source and intent was.”

These would be the last public comments Reiss made about the case. On 26 May 2021 he was arrested on suspicion of possessing images of child sexual abuse.

oh

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
acap

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Wow, the evidence was "I've seen a lot of shops in my time" and "look at these pixels".

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I remember being a really little kid, like younger elementary school, and seeing something on TV about flying rods. I was completely convinced they were real and going to fly into me, and my mom finally had to tell me if they didn't fly into other things they wouldn't fly into me, because she couldn't explain they weren't real.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PetraCore posted:

I remember being a really little kid, like younger elementary school, and seeing something on TV about flying rods. I was completely convinced they were real and going to fly into me, and my mom finally had to tell me if they didn't fly into other things they wouldn't fly into me, because she couldn't explain they weren't real.

BrianRx has a new favorite as of 18:03 on May 13, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rods, aka skyfish, aka what flying bugs look like when filmed on video

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_(optical_phenomenon)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're real but they exist in a spectrum unseeable to the human eye, they are also intangible.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Flying rods are my favorite cryptid! I can't find it just now, but I've seen an article proposing that they are the modern descendants of the ancient sea predator Anomalocaris, which had similar undulating side fins.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gaius Marius posted:

They're real but they exist in a spectrum unseeable to the human eye, they are also intangible.

wait I've seen From Beyond, things are about to get really horny and hosed up in here

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, early Marble Hornets is some fond memories of spooky poo poo. A lot of it really comes down to classic 'bump in the night' kind of horror, but they did it pretty well.

What happened to that in the end? I found the first series gripping (even bought the DVD!) but I seem to remember gaps between episodes getting longer and longer and I eventually gave up on it.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Gambrinus posted:

What happened to that in the end? I found the first series gripping (even bought the DVD!) but I seem to remember gaps between episodes getting longer and longer and I eventually gave up on it.

a kid got stabbed in the finale

Korremar
Mar 1, 2010

You are so big!
So absolutely HUGE!
Can someone post that story, I'm pretty sure from elise the great, about the guy that had a stroke(?) in the fridge, and (don't click the spoiler unless you're okay with really gross things) his dementia-riddled mom and his cats ate him?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Korremar posted:

Can someone post that story, I'm pretty sure from elise the great, about the guy that had a stroke(?) in the fridge, and (don't click the spoiler unless you're okay with really gross things) his dementia-riddled mom and his cats ate him?

It was deffo from elise but hosed if I can remember what exact thread. A pyf one about medical experiences professionals had maybe? I remember reading the post in 2016 while in the hospital for an abscess I'd gotten and decided to binge that thread to see people who had it worse than me at the time. :haw:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Most likely it was in the health care stories thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837778&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ScienceSeagull posted:

Flying rods are my favorite cryptid! I can't find it just now, but I've seen an article proposing that they are the modern descendants of the ancient sea predator Anomalocaris, which had similar undulating side fins.

There was a whole thing about theorised airborne ecosystems for a while, during early photography and aviation. Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a short story about it.

Also random note, watch Nope.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The creators were goons too iirc.

These forums not only invented Slenderman, it also basically invented Analog Horror ten years before it became A Thing.

I choose not to acknowledge the influence of Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity because reasons.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The creators were goons too iirc.

These forums not only invented Slenderman, it also basically invented Analog Horror ten years before it became A Thing.

I choose not to acknowledge the influence of Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity because reasons.

This forum invented like half the trends of the modern internet, and successfully capitalized on 0% of that, which is the reason it remains one of the only good places for Posters to Post.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

One More Fat Nerd posted:

This forum invented like half the trends of the modern internet, and successfully capitalized on 0% of that, which is the reason it remains one of the only good places for Posters to Post.

I just remembered the Wyoming Incident started here too.

Yeah, we 100% invented that genre.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

relive the excitement of goon proto-creepypasta

not hot but spicy ghost threads archive (and all that 50 ft ant horse poo poo)

ghost goons stories that go back to god knows when

Mmmm, that's the stuff I bought an account for. Thank you, I missed these.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

drat, I haven't thought or heard about Rods in years. Kinda nostalgic actually.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People pretty quickly figured out what they actually were was bugs and birds or other moving objects in the background of early photographs, the ones where everyone has to sit still for like a minute to take properly. But of course you know what people are like.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Korremar posted:

It was by her, I'm sorry I don't have it at hand, but boy she is such a great writer :love:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Found the elise the great story, you'll need archives I think

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469571&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=3#post427104383

TheMathyFolf
Sep 14, 2014

Korremar posted:

That link doesn't go to the post, this one should work. Will need archives access.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3469571&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post427104383

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

very easy to read and not hard on the eyes at all if you don't have archives

if i were to go back and make a pdf and epub and poo poo of all the stories, categorized and indexed and linked, would that be kosher? it's not my work obviously but it would be a shame to lose them, they were some of my favourite threads too

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

maybe also a modernized site so there's easier options to find the one you're looking for and sort them or whatever. would people want that

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Elise had a blog for a while. Title was End of Shift Report. Look for that and see if the story is there before you reinvent the wheel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

I guess the most mysterious song on the internet (“Ulterior Motives”/” Everybody Knows That”) has been definitively sourced to a 1986 photographic film, Angels of Passion:

https://www.stereogum.com/2261440/mysterious-viral-80s-song-everybody-knows-that-finally-identified-after-three-year-hunt/news/

I don’t know if that fits the criteria for this thread, but it might lighten the mood temporarily.

I got really excited when I first started reading your post then bummed it wasn't the actual the Most Mysterious Song on the Internet. It's fascinating that one still hasn't been identified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Elise had a blog for a while. Title was End of Shift Report. Look for that and see if the story is there before you reinvent the wheel.

i mean everything, a compilation of all the spooky or creepy goon stories in one place, that's also easy to navigate. and not just the annual ghost story threads, there are a ton of lesser known ones