Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What do you mean “again”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol treating bartkira like its some unknown fan project

It was one of the main indie comics projects and one of the only reasons the project faded into relative obscurity for a while was because one of the main organizers had a fair share of issues revealed by the surrounding community regarding grooming, which made people less likely to work with him. Given that SEW just stumbled upon it a few years After that exploded, I wonder if he did that as a way to let the work of everyone else shine thru.

NGE talk: There's an interview with Anno where he specifies on how he meant being an otaku as someone who closed themselves out of the rest of the world, which is consistent with how Shinji is written and how the guy who resembles Anno the closest (Kensuke Aida) is a huge dork that got drawn alongside Asuka on a... happier relationship. Yes, technically Anno wrote some of the darker stuff with Shinji as a reflection of what he was going thru, but then you have the guy from Nadia just bumble around being a silly military dork on the background, while Shinji doesn't have any hobbies.

Patricia Taxxon thinks that the next Hbomb video might be about Nick Robinson so she made a video about one of the essays she disagreed the most with to prevent being seen as someone who's riding the next potential target's downfall. Call it a slightly bigger footnote on her Marble Blast video if you wanna.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 12, 2024

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

the phrase "Nick Robinson misrepresents Super Monkeyball Banana Blitz in this video", said with a straight face, is incredibly funny to hear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

last month some JP tweet went around about nick robinson being a creep since hes moved to japan too iirc and a bunch of random japanese indie artists, game devs, musicians, etc, all came out to say 'yeah this guy contacted me about a video and was an annoying weirdo' and some z-list pop idol was like 'he tried hitting on me by telling me hed seen oshi no ko'

incredible human being

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kunster posted:

NGE talk: There's an interview with Anno where he specifies on how he meant being an otaku as someone who closed themselves out of the rest of the world, which is consistent with how Shinji is written and how the guy who resembles Anno the closest (Kensuke Aida) is a huge dork that got drawn alongside Asuka on a... happier relationship. Yes, technically Anno wrote some of the darker stuff with Shinji as a reflection of what he was going thru, but then you have the guy from Nadia just bumble around being a silly military dork on the background, while Shinji doesn't have any hobbies.
a key point a lot of people miss about shinji and eva is how anno talks about otaku stuff and closing yourself off from the world and indulging your hobbies.

specifically, he says its fine. if you want to do that, go for it. its your life. the problem and the people hes frustrated with - and the behavior he was frustrated with in himself - is when you do that but then expect other people to reach out to you and try and fix you, or accommodate for you, without making any effort to do that on your own. you want human relationships, but you make no effort to get them. you retreat into yourself while hoping someone else will pull you out into the world.

its a common otaku/neet fantasy to have that wish fulfilled. in the 90s/early 2000s it was 'magic girl/boy teleports into my room,' for the past few years its been isekai type stuff. circumstances pulling you out of that rut without you actually having to put in effort until you've already been pulled out. basically, wanting someone else to take the first step for you.

this is very consistent with how shinji is portrayed in eva. hes constantly wanting the people in his life to put in more effort than he is. gendo's a dick, but shinji makes no effort to try and connect with him. itd be one thing if shinji made that effort and gendo rebuffed him, but shinji gives up without even trying. there's no attempt to even attempt to understand his father. same with asuka. he projects onto rei rather than actually trying to communicate with her. his friendship with kensuke and toji is mostly surface level. etc. shinji makes no attempt to be emotionally open with other people, yet he expects them to understand him. thats the problem.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Endorph posted:

the problem and the people hes frustrated with - and the behavior he was frustrated with in himself - is when you do that but then expect other people to reach out to you and try and fix you, or accommodate for you, without making any effort to do that on your own. you want human relationships, but you make no effort to get them. you retreat into yourself while hoping someone else will pull you out into the world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

somehow people miss this even though the show makes it very clear!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Endorph posted:

a key point a lot of people miss about shinji and eva is how anno talks about otaku stuff and closing yourself off from the world and indulging your hobbies.

specifically, he says its fine. if you want to do that, go for it. its your life. the problem and the people hes frustrated with - and the behavior he was frustrated with in himself - is when you do that but then expect other people to reach out to you and try and fix you, or accommodate for you, without making any effort to do that on your own. you want human relationships, but you make no effort to get them. you retreat into yourself while hoping someone else will pull you out into the world.

its a common otaku/neet fantasy to have that wish fulfilled. in the 90s/early 2000s it was 'magic girl/boy teleports into my room,' for the past few years its been isekai type stuff. circumstances pulling you out of that rut without you actually having to put in effort until you've already been pulled out. basically, wanting someone else to take the first step for you.

this is very consistent with how shinji is portrayed in eva. hes constantly wanting the people in his life to put in more effort than he is. gendo's a dick, but shinji makes no effort to try and connect with him. itd be one thing if shinji made that effort and gendo rebuffed him, but shinji gives up without even trying. there's no attempt to even attempt to understand his father. same with asuka. he projects onto rei rather than actually trying to communicate with her. his friendship with kensuke and toji is mostly surface level. etc. shinji makes no attempt to be emotionally open with other people, yet he expects them to understand him. thats the problem.

i hate how relevant this dumb anime remains to my life lol.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Walter White was such a badass, everyone else was trying to get in his way

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
how many nazis did Ted kill? none!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Walter White was such a badass, everyone else was trying to get in his way

Let me tell you what I think of his wife!

<misogyny klaxon>

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh skyler is kind of... idk, poorly handled? she gets a lot of repetitive scenes of trying to stop the show you sat down to watch from happening and not a lot of like, super interesting things to do. a lot of people are weirdos about her but i wasnt a fan of her subplot either, it felt like something that existed to exist. the creators were clearly much more passionate about the drug crime.

like her being basically right doesnt really make her interesting or engaging

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You're not wrong, I was just bucketing the people that hate her because she exists in with the people who think Walter was cool and good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the thing with Skyler is that, for the first 1/3rd of the series she literally does represent the "no fun allowed" sign of the series in a way which is never a very thankful role to be in. i think there's definitely a reason her role was expanded a lot as the series went on though she still isn't as well-realized as like, Carmella Soprano or someone

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Endorph posted:

tbh skyler is kind of... idk, poorly handled? she gets a lot of repetitive scenes of trying to stop the show you sat down to watch from happening and not a lot of like, super interesting things to do. a lot of people are weirdos about her but i wasnt a fan of her subplot either, it felt like something that existed to exist. the creators were clearly much more passionate about the drug crime.

like her being basically right doesnt really make her interesting or engaging

I always took that as the commentary on now narcissism works. She's boring and right, but everyone is here to cheer on the narcissist, because intense shallow charisma and constant undermining of others is how narcissists survive. We, the audience, are getting gaslight by what is directly in front of our faces because Walt is a charismatic bullshitter.

What was surprising is how long it takes for people to realize that despite Walt being manipulative from episode 1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Famethrowa posted:

I always took that as the commentary on now narcissism works. She's boring and right, but everyone is here to cheer on the narcissist, because intense shallow charisma and constant undermining of others is how narcissists survive. We, the audience, are getting gaslight by what is directly in front of our faces because Walt is a charismatic bullshitter.

no that's just how drama works lol. like nobody hates "boring and right" because walt is a "charismatic bullshitter", it's because "boring and right" is not very dramatically interesting

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 12, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think when people watch the dark humor drug crime show they want dark humor drug crimes and not 20 minutes of a lady wandering around her living room looking increasingly concerned

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

no that's just how drama works lol. like nobody hates "boring and right" because walt is a "charismatic bullshitter", it's because "boring and right" is not very dramatically interesting

well, yeah, that's what I just said

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If you didnt see that people would complain she wasn't developed enough or "why should I get invested about skyler"
Marie is the best tho

Famethrowa posted:

well, yeah, that's what I just said

that's not gaslighting tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

If you didnt see that people would complain she wasn't developed enough or "why should I get invested about skyler"
i mean no? some people would maybe but i dont think its unreasonable to say that american prestige tv often has pacing problems

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
even when she was just sitting around at home Carmella Soprano was a much more compelling character than Skyler White though admittedly part of this may have been because, no disrespect intended, Edie Falco was just a better actor than Anna Gunn

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now Tony Soprano, there's a real alpha male captain of industry type.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dawgstar posted:

doesn't have the makings of a varsity athlete though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
People have mentally blocked out how gross the actual comments toward Skyler were when the show was running, like yeah it's one thing to not like her or think she's the least interesting character but if you actually go back and read stuff from the day holy poo poo, apparently being a female character who is kinda bitchy is the worst thing you can possibly do.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dawgstar posted:

I actually got dragged to a family dinner one time at a corny local restaurant and there was a picture of Tony Soprano next to Vito Corelone and Tony Montana on the wall, so I them an offer they cuddint refuse and had da spaghetti :hehe:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

wizard2 posted:

I actually got dragged to a family dinner one time at a corny local restaurant and there was a picture of Tony Soprano next to Vito Corelone and Tony Montana on the wall, so I them an offer they cuddint refuse and had da spaghetti :hehe:

I bet after that you had to go home and hit the drippini

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

mycot posted:

People have mentally blocked out how gross the actual comments toward Skyler were when the show was running, like yeah it's one thing to not like her or think she's the least interesting character but if you actually go back and read stuff from the day holy poo poo, apparently being a female character who is kinda bitchy is the worst thing you can possibly do.

I remember the misogyny being completely hosed and disproportionate towards the Skylar character AND the real life actor... I dont remember if I was lurking them or not back then, but I would not be surprised if the TVIV threads from when Breaking Bad was new were purged for user protection lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll be on my deathbed and remember the title of an article I saw somebody retweet that said "Hey, Sopranos Fans, You May Not Remember But Tony Was a Problematic Paisan."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dawgstar posted:

I'll be on my deathbed and remember the title of an article I saw somebody retweet that said "Hey, Sopranos Fans, You May Not Remember But Tony Was a Problematic Paisan."

he also wasn't a varsity athlete

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

breaking bad is some meth crime looney tunes poo poo compared to the sopranos, not that that is a bad thing really. just very different pacing and tone that gets in the way of following the plot of anyone not actively participating in the main one, and whenever they did indulge in that in the first season (which was definitely trying to be more sopranos-like) it was poo poo like "marie is addicted to shoplifting" which is immediately dropped lmfao.

edit: lol at the pacing of this every time. breaking bad spoilers [REAL]

Mock Turtle fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 12, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Mutahar made a 90 minute video on Keffals that seems to be raising a lot of hackles apparently. People are upset about a transphobic image in the thumbnail and the fact that Mutahar allegedly just went of Kiwifarms users for the material, instead of actually reaching out to alleged victims. But on the flip side, other people are mad that Mutahar didn't misgender Keffals? Guess there's no satisfying people.

I vaguely recall Keffals helped take down Kiwifarms which is a good thing but also there were allegations that she was dishonest about handling Gofundme money, playing up situations to use the funds to go on extended vacations. With controversial figures it's really hard to get to the bottom of things because so many people have an axe to grind in either direction; bigots are going to latch on to every and any bad thing they find about their enemies of course but allies can be quick to defend/ignore legitimately problematic behaviors if they really like the person for other valid reasons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is absolutely fascinating.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

keffals is a piece of poo poo even if she led to kiwifarms having to switch to a much worse host

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otoh im loling at 'well kiwifarms says shes a jerk, but she did take down kiwifarms'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also loling remembering when she got in a twitter feud with someone named MOMMY BIG DICK and kept asking people for her doxx

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Was Keffals the one who got a bunch of GoFundMe money and blew it all on heroin, or was that someone else?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alacron posted:

Was Keffals the one who got a bunch of GoFundMe money and blew it all on heroin, or was that someone else?

no that was her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

keffals just bought a big twitter account to instantly become a big streamer seemly for the sole purpose of getting involved in drama. shes constantly picking fights and yelling at random people. shes not really worth caring about. the kiwifarms stuff was legitimately bad but beyond that she seems to have gotten exactly the life she wanted

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk who any of these people are but it sounds like I'm better off for it.

Sorta relevant to the Dell video talk yesterday, Asus tried to pull some warranty bullshit not realizing they were doing it to GN instead of some rando customer, and of course the roast video has followed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMrssIrKcY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Endorph posted:

keffals is a piece of poo poo even if she led to kiwifarms having to switch to a much worse host

They somehow managed to worm their way back into the google engine tho. Blegh.