Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

This is a fine Bonkus of the Conkus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 09, 2002)

The usual reason for not answering: https://gunshowcomic.com/27

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 8, 1977)

Crankshaft

Thimble Theater (December 15, 1940)

Popeye

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

My brain is choosing to reject the very concept of a "Little Plugger".

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Samovar posted:

Comanche

lol at "there are no ants around you"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

davidspackage posted:

It may be low hanging fruit, but have you posted this in the Funny Panels thread?
Nah, I mainly use that thread as a drive to keep pushing on with reading through old comics. If a Popcom strikes someone as good enough to share in there, though, I certainly have no objections.

Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

It's wild reading the strips because of the different dynamics. Poor Betty could do so much better. I wonder when they shifted things into the love triangle people are familiar with nowadays? It also probably explains why they came up with the character of Cheryl Blossom; maybe the people at Archie Comics wanted to recapture the dynamic of Archie brushing off the attention of Betty/Veronica in favor of Cheryl, and the subsequent hijinks that result from it.

As I understand it, the Archie folks created Cheryl because they thought Veronica had softened too much from her original conception as a stuck-up rich bitch, and they wanted someone who could be a villain. But Veronica doesn't seem that bad in the strips so far.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/11/04

Brenda Starr 3/12-14/53

Smokey Stover 6/25/61

Everyday Movies 11/1/37

"... and if I'd met him when I was COMIN' from the beauty parlor instead of goin', it woulda been a different story."

Oh Come the gently caress On Russell 9/9-11/43

Closer Than We Think! 6/25/61

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I will heroically perform permanent life altering surgery without bothering to ask the patient for consent!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Daily reminder that Scarlet rules.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/25/61

I thought the moon didn't have any water, unless some was left behind after an ice comet struck it?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That's the first time I've laughed out loud for several days.

Yes, of course this happens. Why didn't I predict it?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Russell Stamm your brain was too big and beautiful for this world.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Breadmaster posted:

I thought the moon didn't have any water, unless some was left behind after an ice comet struck it?

You can find it at the poles. Not huge amounts, but some. It might also be present in tiny amounts in the subsurface once you're deep enough for shielding.

Back in the day they just assumed a lot more of it would be available; the sheer amount available on Earth made the idea of our nearest neighbour having a lot seem reasonable. 1961 is an era where some people were still arguing about canals on Mars.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Breadmaster posted:

There's definitely some found in the polar regions over the past couple decades, but yeah, that's primordial water. In 1961, there hadn't been any lunar sample returns, or even successful soft landings.

The thing that strikes me about the image is the assumption that any liberated water vapor will leisurely rise upwards to to collect around your portable steam dome, instead of rapidly dissipating in the near vacuum, with trace amounts freezing onto it (and subsequently sublimating off of it)

I suppose we can assume that Dr. Brereton intended some sort of enclosed solar heating structure, but this was not communicated to the artist.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

That's a very long way to go for a puzzle about water expanding when it freezes.

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ladies and gentlemen, I have gathered you here today to inform you that I am having wild sex with Chief Seismologist Helnza

any questions

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Selachian posted:

Oh Come the gently caress On Russell 9/9-11/43

SKINMORE SCARSKY needs to be in the thread title somehow

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

too big

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm pretty sure there are still some plans for trying to get water from lunar regolith being considered right now, or at least "recently," for some definition of that term. How plausible they are, I don't know, but it's not yet an outdated idea in the way the canals of Mars and the jungles of Venus are.

Mr. Squishy posted:

As thoughts go it's a pretty fruitless one.

Man if Janis dislikes pointless daydreaming that much, I hope she never asks me what I'm thinking.

The joke is often just a silly pun, but Bizarro always has really nice art.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Poil posted:

I will heroically perform permanent life altering surgery without bothering to ask the patient for consent!

I flat-up have nightmares about this sort of thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hwurmp posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I have gathered you here today to inform you that I am having wild sex with Chief Seismologist Helnza

any questions

All the questions marks between Flash/Dale and Fria/Ronal

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Bruceski posted:

All the questions marks between Flash/Dale and Fria/Ronal
Dr. Zarkov has calculated the possibility of a stable polycule.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hwurmp posted:

any questions

Excuse me, that's wild casual sex, please refer to the footnotes

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ocean of Milk posted:

lol at "there are no ants around you"

It was a cheap joke from me, but I couldn't resist.

I am also LOVING the incorporation of the Flash Gordon strip title into the thought-web diagram.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I would like to point out that the mother's expression was redone exclusively by moving the original facial elements around, because gently caress trying to draw anything with my laptop's trackpad.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(February 2, 1919) spoilered for duck

Mustard Plaster

Gasoline Alley(January 4, 1920)

Little Nemo(June 28, 1908)

Nell Brinkley(April 7, 1918)

quote:

No. 2-"Bill" Sends Her His Pal

WHEN the soldier-lover of Golden-Eyes had sailed away down the tide and far away, the world was as gray and cold as the inside of Washington's Monument in the Winter time, by reason of his taking, besides his own heart, hers that she had given him, leaving an empty, wounded place of fire and sorrow in her breast where it had been.

But lo you, in the gray of a dawn as pale and sad as Love's sky had grown, when her windows were panels of moonstone light, at the hour she knew, lying silent with eyes wide awake but blind, that his ship was drawing away from his home shores and lifting to the first great seas where the giant Atlantic breathes deep and terribly--through the silent streets and the silent house, by messenger-came a friend he had left her!

Around his neck was fastened a letter. "Darling-darling-you gave me your heart. Long ago you had mine, and you gave it back that it might follow the Stars and Bars with sure intent, until I come again. You gave me your heart 'to keep a man from harm.' Will you take 'Uncle Sam to keep a maid from harm?' I should like to know my two loves are together while I'm away. My pal and my sweetheart!"

Who was happy but Golden-Eyes!

That's a good dog.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Billy died, but she had a good dog, so nbd.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mods please ban anyone who posts small wilbur

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

smallbur

e: li'lbur

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 12, 2024

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hwurmp posted:

e: li'lbur

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 12, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Selachian posted:

George is clearly based on someone, but I'm not sure who. The ascot and baseball cap look makes me think Rodney Dangerfield, but Caddyshack is still a few years in the future.

The ascot and hair make me think L Ron Hubbard, but that’s not a fit for the character.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Speaking of working from home.... has it changed, or is Wilbur's job still Relationship Advice Columnist?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

caribiner23
Apr 12, 2024

Kennel posted:

Dustin

So, Dustin has the artistic skills of a preschooler. I guess the storyline couldn't have ended any other way.

Murdstone posted:

I once was looking for a Mother’s Day card and there was a thank you card in that section for some reason. I liked it and wound up buying it and writing a nice note thanking my mom for all she has done for me in my life. It’s probably the most meaningful gift I ever gave her.

This is both awesome and heartwarming. Good on you!

Selachian posted:

As I understand it, the Archie folks created Cheryl because they thought Veronica had softened too much from her original conception as a stuck-up rich bitch, and they wanted someone who could be a villain. But Veronica doesn't seem that bad in the strips so far.

That makes sense. I was reading Archie comic books in the 1970s and 1980s, and there was very little differentiation between Betty and Veronica, other than the occasional story where Veronica would let her bougie flag fly. She was still a brat, but a nice-ish brat, I guess.

When I was a kid, the Catholic parochial school I attended had a line of Christian Archie Comics on their literature rack in the back of the church. I remember flipping through them, surprised at how outright preachy they were.

caribiner23 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 12, 2024

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Hippocrass posted:

Nell Brinkley(April 7, 1918)

I’m reading on my phone and thought this was an Amano for a second

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

I’m not entirely sure why BF was looking at what they took out of her body, but spoiler: worry not, their misconceptions about female reproductive anatomy will be corrected!

Haraiso Days

quote:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

caribiner23 posted:

So, Dustin has the artistic skills of a preschooler. I guess the storyline couldn't have ended any other way.

This is both awesome and heartwarming. Good on you!

That makes sense. I was reading Archie comic books in the 1970s and 1980s, and there was very little differentiation between Betty and Veronica, other than the occasional story where Veronica would let her bougie flag fly. She was still a brat, but a nice-ish brat, I guess.

When I was a kid, the Catholic parochial school I attended had a line of Christian Archie Comics on their literature rack in the back of the church. I remember flipping through them, surprised at how outright preachy they were.

Al Hartley had some interesting, but not unusual for the era, religious ideas. Those comics were from Spire, publisher of Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly I’m kind of surprised a Catholic church would have Spire comics—they’re pretty protestant, though not Jack Chick-hostile to Catholicism.