Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Some of them just have distinct names to signify their form change, like Ode Iou into Gama-hebi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Poll update!

Lei once again commands the poll, with Earthen Heart being the favorite for protagonist at 7 votes so far. Trailing behind and tied with each other are Sundown and Akira at two votes each. Everyone else has one vote, save for Oboromaru who has none. In the event of any ties once I close the poll, I'll do a coin flip to decide who to use. Likely Earthen Heart will take first cleanly, but we'll see what happens for second place. If you haven't voted yet, you can do so at the link below!

https://strawpoll.com/NPgxEMvk4Z2

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, I'd say the tie has officially been broken by now. Results thus far: Earthen Heart is winning with 9 (no surprise, pretty sure Lei's the most popular character in LAL), Akira's in second with 7.

Trailing behind in a distant third-place we have a tie between Sundown and Cube (of all characters) with 2 each, with Pogo and Masaru also tying at one. Poor Oboromaru doesn't have any votes at all.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

y'see it's because he's a ninja people don't see his option. He's just that good.

I'll be wrapping up the poll in about an hour, I imagine anyone who wanted to vote has probably done so by this point. If you haven't, this is the last call to do so!

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The Poll has been called!

As you can see, Lei will be our heroine for the HD version going forward, while Akira rocketed up the poll at the end and will take charge in the SFC version. That has a number of drawbacks for me as the player, but it will make things interesting at least. Big thank you to everyone who voted, I should be able to make the next video soon!

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZKNFHvVJCw

Part 24 is out! We begin the proper version of the Dominion of Hate, setting out with our preferred protagonists. The first order of business is to assemble a team.

Extra Notes

-The stories finally come together, and we have access to all our protagonist characters save for Oersted. It's important to note that in the SFC version, characters come in only with whatever they were equipped with by the end of their chapter. In the HD version, every character starts and joins in with their entire inventory that they had by the end of their chapter, including equipment that was equipped to their allies. You have a lot more to work with in the HD version due to this, and don't need to be as mindful to load up your characters with the best equipment before closing out their chapters. Let's go over the protagonists and how they stack up with each other real quick:

Pogo: Not much to say about Pogo, he's just about one of the best characters both as your main and as a party member. His HP and defenses are sky high, and he has incredible attack power as well. In both versions he can come in with some of the most powerful equipment in the game, and in the HD version he brings a wealth of supplies to make the early going easier if he's your main. He'll also easily be one of the highest leveled characters in the chapter regardless of anything. About the only weakness he has is that his AOE skills are fairly underpowered, which can easily be compensated for with other characters. Most people end up using Pogo in their party, and for good reason. If he's not your main, it can be advisable to hold off on recruiting him for some characters. Some people like Masaru and Cube enter the chapter woefully under powered, and their chances of beating him in order to recruit him can be a little dicey. Lei is the only person who can recruit him without a fight because he's a pre-historic simp. Pogo can be found in the balmgrass field if he isn't your main character, which makes him a little harder to find in the SFC version since it's a secret area you might not even know about.

Earthen Heart Master: Very good, close to the best you can use. Lei, Yun and Hong are all great in their own ways, though I'd say Lei and Yun bring a bit more to the table with their unique skills. Funnily enough, most of the Earthen Heart skills aren't that great, with Yun getting a lot of mileage out of Wise Fox's Grace but that's about it. Where all three of these characters excel is their unique skills they begin to learn as they level in this chapter. Sacred Dragon's Temper with Lei is an especially potent field nuke in many encounters. Hong definitely falters a bit here, as most of his uniques are easily interrupted charge based skills, but like all others he will eventually be able to use Heavenly Peaks Descent as much as he wants. He's also the most durable Earthen Heart by a mile, so he has that going for him. All three can be found at the peak of the mountain (how appropriate), but each has a different recruit requirement. Yun will just join you, no questions asked. This means it's a good idea to not use Yun as your main if he's the Earthen Heart Master. Lei will demand a fight, like so many others, and you must defeat her to recruit her. Hong has the most unique requirement, you need to feed him in order to recruit him. How much he needs to be fed depends on the quality of the items you give him, with 19 balmgrasses being the absolute most you need to feed him to get him to join. Hong is one of the most annoying people to recruit due to this, so he's not a bad choice for main if you want to avoid that. Regardless, all of the Earthen Heart Masters are worth adding to your party and like Pogo, most people do work them in.

Oboromaru: Like Pogo, Oboromaru joins in with tons of supplies and excellent equipment if you played his chapter in a completionist fashion. Oboromaru has a little bit of everything, with great ranged skills, decently powerful AOEs, and any charge based skill he has is usually fast charging. If you played for kills in his chapter, he'll also sign on at a high level with most of his skills ready to use. Oboromaru isn't the absolute best at any one thing, but his versatility makes him a decent addition to any team and he's another good main due to his resource boon. To recruit him, you must examine the sign outside Archon's Roost. Oboromaru will ambush you, and if you defeat him, you can recruit him. Like Pogo, he can be a little precarious to fight with certain characters, so you may want to hold off for a bit until you're absolutely ready for him. Oboromaru is an advisable addition to your team, though I would say he's a no brainer like Pogo or Lei.

Sundown: Sundown is the first character where I feel which version of the game you're playing is a major factor in his usability. In the SFC version, Sundown is a major glass cannon. He has low HP and defense, but extremely high power and good range on all his moves. His ultimate skill is also just outright busted, and will almost always hit for the damage cap of 999. His damage has been severely toned down in the HD version, and since most of his moves are multi-hit he also has serious accuracy problems. This does limit him quite a bit, because he's just as frail as he was in the SFC version without as much of a justification for it. He's an easy choice for main in the SFC version, but I wouldn't really advise using him as such in HD. His recruitment process is also rather lengthy, requiring you to talk to him in a variety of locations before he joins. Once you do recruit him, I wouldn't recommend dropping him until you complete his personal dungeon. Sundown will return to a random location among the places you've spoken to him once removed from the party, making it a small hassle to re-recruit him. Again, he's an easy recommend for your party in the SFC version, but he's wildly inconsistent in HD so I wouldn't really call him a must-have.

Edit: Shout out to HannaCrusis for a clarification, in the HD version Sundown will always return to Hasshe's hut when dismissed from your party. This makes him much less of a hassle to put back into your line up if you dismiss him.

Masaru: I know I was very subtle about this, but I'm not a huge fan of Masaru in any capacity. He's a terrible choice for main since he is the lowest leveled character by a mile and has absolutely no items at his disposal when he joins in. As a party member, he does level up very quickly but all his moves are rather weak. He also has abysmal special defense, especially in the SFC version, so he can be remarkably frail in spite of his sky high HP. Now the HD version does throw him a couple bones. His moves are generally stronger across the board, and the weakness system means he can actually hit fairly hard when striking a weakness. He covers more move types than you'd expect, so it's rare he's ever left with no good options. All that said though, he still falls pretty short. He doesn't really have any single target attacks that outpace anyone else you can use, his range is poor and his AOE skills are really bad in terms of damage. Masaru is also by far the least accurate character in the game, so you will be seeing Miss pop up annoyingly often when you use him. You can get his ultimate weapon without much fuss, and it is one of the strongest in the game, but that mostly just bring him up from bad to decent. Masaru can be found in the gaol of the castle, and will need to be fought in order to recruit him. Unless you are playing as Sundown or Cube, he'll join without a fight in that case. I really wouldn't recommend using Masaru, he's just kind of bad.

Akira: Another character where version has a major impact, though thankfully it's a more positive change up compared to Sundown. Functionally, Akira has the same role in your party in the HD version that he does in the SFC version, but all of Akira's stats have seen a sizable bump in HD, particularly his HP and defense. As well, many of Akira's skills have had their charge time reduced or removed entirely, allowing him to act much more quickly in battle. Akira boasts the best range and AOE in the game, as well as being inarguably the best debuffer in the game. His ultimate skill is also a field nuke like Sacred Dragon's Temper that can inflict every ailment in the game, including petrification! Akira was merely okay in the SFC version due to his frailty and relatively low damage, but he's a solid addition in HD. As your main, he joins at a high level with a decent spread of supplies like Pogo and Oboromaru, though his items and equipment aren't quite as good. As a party member, he's decently easy to recruit. He'll be found lounging in the Forgotten village, and he can be recruited with or without a fight depending on the dialogue choices you take. I wouldn't rate him as must-have in either version of the game, but he's a passable addition in SFC and a pretty good one in HD. Since there's only 7 characters, you can't really make a perfect death squad where everyone contributes equally, so Akira has the most interesting niche uses if he's the odd-man out on damage dealing.

Cube: The most unique party member, though this isn't strictly a good thing. Cube works like Taroimo, not gaining EXP in battle but his HP, Accuracy, and Evasion can be upgraded through Power Parts. If you spent a lot of time farming those with Akira in the HD version, he can carry them into this chapter and buff Cube into the stratosphere. Cube can also use Taroimo's accessories to learn new moves, Dizzy Shot being a particularly good one to grab. If you failed to have Akira bring those accessories into the chapter, enemies do drop them on occasion so Cube isn't completely screwed out of new move options. Cube also has gargantuan natural defenses, so once you can upgrade his HP he is a supreme tank. He can also heal as a counter, giving him unparalleled survivability, along with aiding the survivability of anyone standing around him. Cube's biggest drawback is his fairly low damage potential. If he doesn't have Dizzy Shot, he has to rely on the incredibly slow Maser Cannon for damage, which tops out around 200 damage. Cube can only use one weapon, his ultimate weapon, so it takes a bit to get him in a good spot for attacking. Fortunately, his personal dungeon has no combat, so it's no issue getting the weapon for him. Cube is pretty ill-advised as a main due to the wonky rate at which he gains power, but he is an interesting supporting party member. To recruit him, you must grab his battery from the mountain, and reattach it to him at the castle balcony. He'll join you with no fuss at that point. I'm not a huge fan of Cube personally, but some people like him.

Edit: Shout outs to CptWedgie and HannaCrusis for some extra clarification! CptWedgie pointed out that Cube can use the Bowling Ball if you bring one of those into the Dominion of Hate, while Hanna pointed out that unfortunately Power Parts do not seem to carry into this chapter. So Cube is slightly stronger in one aspect but not able to be power gamed in another that I thought of.

This is just my take on everyone, if you know something I don't feel free to let me know!

-To get the best ending of the game, you must recruit everyone. You don't necessarily need to gear them up or do their personal dungeons, but you do need to have recruited them into your party at least once. I'll be doing all the dungeons and getting everyone to level 16 just for the sake of demonstrating all ultimate skills.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 13, 2024

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Cube can only use one weapon, his ultimate weapon, so it takes a bit to get him in a good spot for attacking.
Not quite true. I'm pretty sure that if Akira brings a spare Bowling Ball, Cube can equip that too. Makes Cube a bit less worthless offensively if he absolutely needs to attack before you do his dungeon. Still, one vs. two weapons isn't much of a difference, is it?

...admittedly, I'm pretty sure this is only viable in HD due to the upgraded inventory system (not sure Akira can even bring a Bowling Ball in SFC), but it's technically a thing you can do. Definitely means Cube wants to beeline Akira ASAP, though; he's the only character who has any real upgrades for the little 'bot.

One minor bonus to playing Cube: You get to recruit Masaru really fast- he doesn't attack you and they're right next to each other (castle roof vs. castle prison) so you don't have to go far to find him. Granted, Masaru isn't that much of a game-changer on his own, but just not being alone can be huge.

edit: Okay, turns out the bowling ball doesn't transfer in HD; I know I had one in Near Future, but it disappeared when I recruited Akira. Cube can equip the Tiger Glove, though, not that it does anything for him.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 12, 2024

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sundown can be worth maining in the chapter just so you don't have to go through the crap of recruiting him.

He's not great but he's not a drag on the party at least.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Just wanted to let the thread know I have a friend from out of country visiting this week until the end of next, and have been busy spending time with him. Updates will probably be on pause until May 24th, but rest assured the LP will be continued as soon as I am able to work on it. We're in the homestretch now, and I'm eager to show off the culmination of the whole game!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Fair enough. Hope things go well for you and your friend!

Incidentally: Something I've been meaning to mention (but kept forgetting to until literally just now) is the reason there aren't any checks in the castle in the SFC version: It's because the SFC version doesn't respawn anything Oersted picks up. Any items he picks up are items that you can't get in the finale (though of course this implies that anything found in locations you can't access outside his chapter, such as the Hero Shields, is safe to take).

And no, "only good for him" isn't an issue here; anything he doesn't pick up is upgraded for the finale, just like the remake (though this is clearer in the remake because, again, it's the only version that respawns them).

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek4o1XQrVUk

Part 25 is out after a brief hiatus! Now that we have recruited every character, we can delve into the meat of the Dominion of Hate and start securing the best equipment for the coming battles ahead.

Extra Notes

-Very large swathes of this chapter are completely optional. None of the trials need to be completed, and in fact you can head to the final boss without recruiting anyone if you so desire. That said, you can only get the true ending of the game by recruiting everyone at least once. Additionally, if you want to defeat all bonus bosses in the chapter, you'll want to have the best gear you can acquire for everyone. It's of minimal importance to actually get everyone's best weapon, but it does help out slightly later on.

-Akira's ultimate weapon doesn't give him immense attacking power like some of the other weapons do for other characters, but the status resistance it conveys is actually quite useful. It makes him immune to every major disable save for Petrification, making him a very reliable fighter in situations where those ailments are being tossed out like crazy. This is a pretty potent perk in the HD version where Akira is stronger in general.

-I passed up a piece of armor in Akira's trial, but it's nothing too critical. All of the best equipment pieces in the chapter can be obtained with no chance of losing access to them.

-If you manage to defeat the Ishtar in the SFC version, it gives massive EXP. It's a guaranteed level up even past level 16, though I'm sure it falls off after a point.

-Numerous boulders in Lei's trial require Heavenly Peaks Descent to smash, but as demonstrated you can get to the ultimate weapon without it just fine.

-Bountiful Heart gives pretty lousy EXP for how durable he is, so I'd recommend evading him at all costs.

-Hong especially wants to beeline for the Nunchaku, since it provides a solid boost to stats he is legitimately terrible in.

-Since Cube's trial has no combat whatsoever, it's prudent to do it ASAP if you plan to use him. Doubly so if he's your main character, since his attacking ability will matter much more. The Diode gives a tremendous bonus to the damage the Maser Cannon does, so it's especially important if you don't have access to Dizzy Shot.

-A bonus boss appears in Cube's trial after completing it. We'll take him down in due time.

-The boss guarding Masaru's trial is a complete joke in the SFC version. He only has a little over 400 HP there and most level 16 techniques can delete him outright. In HD he's more of an actual fight.

-Masaru's ultimate weapon is very important to grab ASAP in the SFC version. His stats are much worse there, so the ludicrous power boost it gives you is essential if he's your main character.

-I mention this in the video, but be sure to grab the Golden Topknot and keep it in your inventory. You need it for a bonus boss later.

-The encounter rate is quite high in the Trial of Power once it becomes active, so it's a great place for training your characters. Yet another bonus boss also requires you to flee from 100 battles in order to encounter them, so this is also a great place to grind that out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it possible to like, open up Lei's dungeon and the boulders inside, then go out, recruit someone else in place of Lei, and then complete it without her?

It would be weird because the game directly references her being in the party.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

That's one of those weird things I've never thought to try, so I'm not sure. Obviously I can't do it in the HD playthrough since Lei can't be removed from the party, but if I can remember I'll see what happens if I try it with Hong in the SFC version.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, Masaru is a moron, just as his stats indicate. You'd think he'd recognize a battery, of all things; those were ubiquitous even by the mid-90s, so he has absolutely no excuse. Hell, they were apparently invented sometime in the 1800s so that's even worse, because SUNDOWN might know what they are, even if he doesn't recognize one on sight!

Anyway, encounters against that red spidery thing do NOT get any easier; in fact, that's one of the strongest generic enemies in the game, despite its nonexistent HP. It's pretty much immune to all your good attacks (the Cola Bottle, in particular, does literally nothing), and does ridiculous damage (like, 2-300 to a 3x3 area. Yes, it can flat out one-shot Akira on a whim) whenever it decides to attack. Basically, treat it as a Pistachio that focuses on raw damage instead of status problems (and yes, there are encounters where they show up together). If you're gonna get a head start on 100 retreats while level grinding, they're probably a good candidate.

A good sign you're up against one of those ridiculous super-enemies, by the way? They tend to pull out Buriki Daioh/Steel Titan attacks. The Mustard Dragon/Dragon Killer, for example, has its missiles.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 26, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it possible to like, open up Lei's dungeon and the boulders inside, then go out, recruit someone else in place of Lei, and then complete it without her?

It would be weird because the game directly references her being in the party.

Was testing this earlier, it does look like you can enter the dungeon without the Earthen Heart once it is open and go as far as you have smashed boulders. I'm not sure at this moment if the final Bountiful Heart turns you away if you don't have the Earthen Heart. At least in the SFC version, he addresses your lead character in standard encounters if the Earthen Heart isn't there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting, so at least to that extent the devs thought of that.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, extension of my previous assertion that Cube can equip the Bowling Ball: I found an encounter that drops it. Specifically, the kung-fu robot and bulldozers based on the Near Future enemies.

Anyway, when we hit the finale I decided to stop trying to play along and instead play through every single character. Yes, including all three Earthen Heart students (I saved China for last and even made a backup save specifically so I could do so). I've made a lot of progress, actually; I've finished Pogo, all the students, and Oboromaru, and I just started Sundown. He's... not going well. Recruiting Lei went fine (and was convenient since I started right next to her), but Pogo I could barely damage due to massive stat disparity (thankfully Oersted didn't burn the balmgrass fields so I could heal off his Big Shouts) and Oboromaru managed to one-shot me on my first attempt. Thankfully I have meatshields now, and I'm pretty sure I don't need to fight the other protagonists anymore (the above is the sum total of my progress as Sundown as of this post).

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I have to speed up, I feel guilty letting you get so far ahead!

Sundown was my favorite when I was a teen but I'm really not sold on him these days. In the SFC version he relies heavily on spamming the overpowered Hurricane Shot. That move got nerfed into the ground in HD, so while he's slightly stronger on the whole in HD he ends up as a glass cannon with seriously water logged ammunition. I'm actually really appreciating the reworks Akira got in HD, Judgement Day got retooled into one of the best ultimate skills in the game.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g1pN3LHNdM

Part 26 is out! More trials to clear, but as your team grows in strength these continually become less of an issue. I'm debating on whether or not I'll do a single video for all the remaining bonus bosses and the end of the game. It'd be a long one for sure, but I don't feel like the remaining bosses really have enough to them to warrant their own video, as the final dungeon is a pretty short rehash of something we've already done. Something to debate with myself.

Extra Notes

-It's highly recommended you pick up at least a couple pieces of the Cosmic/Ariel equipment. These are your only protection against petrification. While it's unlikely you'll ever have a situation where everyone gets hit with that status, not having to cure it is a huge boon for your party going forward.

-While slightly counter intuitive, you do not want one character to equip all pieces of the Cosmic/Ariel equipment. You should spread those around to your entire team so everyone can enjoy petrification immunity. One thing to note is that the Ring gives resistance to all elements/attack types on top of the immunity, so you should slap that on your most defensively frail character.

-Cube is innately immune to Petrify, so that's something to keep in mind when divvying out your Cosmic/Ariel equipment, should you plan to use Cube for your final team.

-There's no rush to defeat any of the bonus bosses in this chapter, take them on whenever you feel your team is ready. Once you have a team full of level 16 people and at least a couple ultimate weapons, you should be ready for anything.

-I'm sure you can clear the trial of time before all the bells toll, but you should only ever enter it when your prepared for them to all toll. It's pretty mazey, and unless you've memorized the route to the .44, you are not getting out of there before Jaggedy Jack attacks.

-The HD version of the Trial of Instinct simplifies the correct path a bit, making it easier to get through the dungeon by just following the meat scent.

-Pogo's ultimate weapon is honestly not that much of an upgrade over the Buzzing/Fury Knife. The Cosmic/Ariel Ring is the much bigger prize for clearing this place out.

-Ditto for Oboromaru, really. If you got either of the ultimate weapons from his chapter, the Murasame is a pretty negligible upgrade and can be skipped if you don't feel like navigating the Trial of Keys. This dungeon doesn't even have a bonus boss going for it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Petrifying Erauqs (not to be confused with the Kingdom Hearts character of basically the same name) reminds me of the fact that I managed to get Cube to petrify the MUR-TH-UR Matrix in one of my runs with Chick Shot (aka Dizzy Shot). That's an embarrassing way to go... possibly even worse than dying to the damage from them.

Oh, and speaking of petrification: Those crying statues are the local Watanabe family. Which makes this one of two times where the son goes with the father, if I'm remembering Distant Future properly, or the only time if I'm not.

Fang of the King (or whatever it's called, the non-Cola Bottle thing that drops from the Prehistory bonus boss) gives lots of status resistances, by the way- everything but Arm Bind and Leg Bind, in fact. Very nice, especially since it gives +20 Physical Attack on top of that. Don't remember if you went over this before, but it's on record now. Yes, Pogo gets all the best stuff.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

After deliberating on it for a bit, I think the next video will be the all encompassing grand finale of the LP. The remaining bonus bosses won't take long enough to beat to constitute their own video, and one of them requires getting through the final dungeon anyway. I have quite a bit of footage to record for it, so it should Friday or Saturday that I'll have the final video ready. Let's bring it all on home!

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hh2PGyeO8I

After a slight delay, the final video is out! I prefer to let the finales speak for themselves, so I won't ramble on about the minutiae of the video. Thank you so much to everyone who watched, and especially to everyone who commented on the videos and in the threads! There was quite a bit I would have missed without feedback, so I appreciate everyone who contributed what they knew to make the LP just a bit better. I hope you enjoyed, and I hope to catch you with my next LP! I'm in the practice playthrough stage of the next game I want to play, and that one is going to be a doozy and the biggest LP I've probably I've worked on. Should be a good time, methinks.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 2, 2024

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Excellent LP of this classic game that finally came out here in the west!

Just gonna leave a little funny secret here, making the Death Prophet turn around with a technique and then hitting his tail from an angle allows you to get a secret attack counter that will instantly kill him.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thanks for LPing the game! Going through the game effectively twice, in two versions, was a lot of work.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

bewilderment posted:

Thanks for LPing the game! Going through the game effectively twice, in two versions, was a lot of work.

I am actually really excited to post my next major LP once I'm done with the practice playthroughs I'm doing for the games involved, because you a'int seen nothing yet.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Congrats on finishing! (Just in time for me to start my Akira playthrough of the DoH, but who's counting?)

Anyway, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd say the BGM when Purity of Odio comes out is the best track in the entire OST.

And yeah, like Koorisch mentioned, Death Prophet may have a nasty gimmick, but he's pretty much a (near-literal) paper tiger if you can just lure him out of that corner he loves to camp in.

One weird/stupid stunt I've pulled in the boss rush is styling on the chapter bosses by killing them with the stupidest attacks possible. Petrification by chickens is bad enough (and yes, I've used "devoured by goldfish" as an alternate at least once), but that poor dinosaur got death by flatulence literally just because I could. ...Haven't humiliated the China boss that way yet since I was focusing on innate moves, but now I wanna beat him to death with the Spring-loaded Punch Gun. It's probably the most thematic while still being utterly silly. ...Should I use Kotobuki Lacquer on the Present one, or would the Rock Launcher be more (in)appropriate?

Silly note: One of the lines that golden fish can say when you hit it with a status ailment is something along the lines of "I didn't think you could do that." Considering how I heard it when Masaru put it in an armlock, I'd have to agree- I didn't know fish had arms to put in a lock!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Can I just say I love how loving *metal* the Purity of Odio fight area is, you're standing under the burning shadow of Odio on top of a mountain of corpses out of the people killed by him most likely.

Also the Saint Alethea attack is also rad.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The Saint Alethea attack is also way more threatening in the HD version. In the SFC version he just repeatedly used it on one character and only did about 60 damage per hit, compared to near team kills he was scoring on me in the HD version.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The thing that gets me about the final Odio fight is that the song has upgraded from Megalomania to Gigalomania. Perhaps as a little prod to Toby Fox to step up himself with a future deltarune release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the LP.

I agree, the extra final boss in the remake is cool and good.