Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Nope not a fan

My inner rear end in a top hat wants the deets on what happened though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'll just ignore this thread for a bit ugh

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
are there any good fort/house replacement things for a giant cardboard box? I'm clearly tempting fate buying a big thing, but we have this big cardboard box that her car seat came in and she loves it, but is also kind of destroying it. I want to get ahead of it disappearing into the cardboard void

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
An expensive replacement for a cardboard box is a modular kids couch, like the Nugget. It does a great job of being a blank slate for imagination.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

We have nugget and it’s nice. We’ve also used chairs and a big blanket to cover the distance between chairs and pretend it’s a tent like fort.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Sweeper posted:

are there any good fort/house replacement things for a giant cardboard box? I'm clearly tempting fate buying a big thing, but we have this big cardboard box that her car seat came in and she loves it, but is also kind of destroying it. I want to get ahead of it disappearing into the cardboard void

We put up a small camping tent in the playroom and that kinda worked. Toddler liked hiding in there and even went through a phase of pooping in there.

He was sad when I packed it back up though. Didn’t fully buy the explanation “tents are easily packable and storeable and we will take it camping.” We just borrowed a camping book from the library so maybe that will explain it.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Did you use a playpen, and do you still have it around? We used one of those modular ones with plastic panels you can arrange as you want, and it has since turned out to be a great building block for blanket forts.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Happy mother's day everyone! Hope you've got some fun plans

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Olanphonia posted:

Happy mother's day everyone! Hope you've got some fun plans

*looks back at Hadlock's post and nervously tugs at collar*

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I took both the girls so that my wife could sleep until 9:30

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
First outing with the two kiddos almost ruined by a big list of things, but none more so than the stress caused by time pressure to make the only reservation they had left on Open Table last night… and then the restaurant was never full. probably would have been fine to be 30 minutes late. oh well.

but at least the food was good, newborn slept through it all, the mimosas were divine, and we got flowers from the farmers market and some nice pictures by the stork sign my parents got us. an afternoon nap is in order for all.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My wife wanted me to quietly get up and take the kids out for breakfast, which I dutifully did. They were angels despite me bringing no toys or screens, and then we went to a park where it was still too wet to play. So we went for a nice drive and let Mom sleep in super late.

We just got back from our family bike ride on the Greenway, after a trip to the sporting goods store for a new baseball glove. Then we stopped at the park so they could finally play as I promised them we would come back later.

We're entering the best years of having little kids, and I am completely here for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We went to a nice brunch and our sweet baby slept through it all.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I take the kids to swim lessons every Sunday morning and then to breakfast after, so my wife gets about 3 hours free every week. Today, we stayed out an hour longer and stopped to get her some cookies on the way home.

The kids are drawing their annual Mother's Day pictures currently. Each of them has drawn a picture every year from when they were born, and we plan to continue as long as they're under our roof. It's pretty cool to see the progression in artistic ability and thoughtfulness.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Started the day at my 'rents, which was nice because we haven't seen in months. Hour in a car and 4,5 hours in train went chill as hell and since my partner sprung for a private compartment upgrade toddler actually had a nap onboard. Since we were home early afternoon, we had time for a swim, McD's and a mudcake dessert. Oh and we saved a bird off of some old lady's glass-walled balcony, so all in all a really nice mothers day.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
We don't celebrate Mother's Day on this date in my country, but today I took the five-year-old to swimming class in the morning as usual. Then we all went together to a birthday party for a kid from the preschool. Outdoors, weather was nice. Had cake, watched the kids play, no major crying. Enjoyable conversation with grown-ups we like hanging around. After, wife and kid watched Encanto together (again) while I practiced my instrument and the baby slept. I think my wife is happy with the day, actually.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Had a glass of wine with lunch so ‘I’ll hold the fussy kid for a bit before naptime’ turned into ‘I’ll nap with the kid on my chest for an hour.’

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Today I learned about Roseola, and it suddenly made the last week of illness for Ms 2 Years Old all make sense.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

harperdc posted:

Today I learned about Roseola, and it suddenly made the last week of illness for Ms 2 Years Old all make sense.

Our daughter got it when she was about a year and a half old. We brought her to the doctor for the fever, and she told us "your daughter is going to get very irritable after the fever subsides in a few days". Apparently the disease is nicknamed "cranky disease" (不機嫌病) in Japanese, and my god if that isn't an accurate name. We had to hold her constantly from morning to night after the fever went away. Nothing else would console her. Instant full volume screaming until one of us picked her up again.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 12, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

Had a glass of wine with lunch so ‘I’ll hold the fussy kid for a bit before naptime’ turned into ‘I’ll nap with the kid on my chest for an hour.’

I miss the ages when she would nap. Or willingly slow down.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
We ran into one of my son’s classmates at the park this afternoon and it was hilarious because it took them like 5 minutes to recognize each other. Like they didn’t know the other existed outside of school. Once they finally recognized each other they ran away playing, it was very cute :3:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

Our daughter got it when she was about a year and a half old. We brought her to the doctor for the fever, and she told us "your daughter is going to get very irritable after the fever subsides in a few days". Apparently the disease is nicknamed "cranky disease" (不機嫌病) in Japanese, and my god if that isn't an accurate name.

Since we’d had a recurrence of cough/cold, that’s initially what I thought, and the doctor last week couldn’t find anything different, so we treated that plus the fever (which was high, sometimes over 39).

I wouldn’t say she’s been impossibly cranky, but definitely easier to get upset, so that tracks too. I dropped her off for daycare this morning and think we can get back to normal now, but it’s been a challenging week.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Update: it was probably an ear infection and I feel like an idiot.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Mothers day is hard in a two-mom family because with a 19mo because he can't really do anything for us yet, but also it's not like today just belongs to one of us. Last year, my in-laws were in town so my father-in-law just took us all out to eat at a nicer place. I imagine this is just how it'll play out in the next few years, him being in town, but they just weren't able to be here for this weekend.

Anyway, my wife did book me a massage for tomorrow, but I couldn't get an answer out of her about anything she wanted. But I did bake her cookies tonight (having not done so in forever) because she had a craving earlier.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Was sitting at the kitchen table having a nice discussion with my brother in law.

You know what's wild? I miss my old life. I miss getting out of work, making a nice dinner, playing video games for the rest of the night, going to bed when I want, and getting a full night's uninterrupted sleep. These kids ruined my life and I'm left completed exhausted, and it's been 5 years since I've last felt like myself. And yet, given the chance to go back to those easy days, I wouldn't do it for the world. For as much as a pain in my rear end these kids are and as miserable as I feel on a daily basis, I love them more than anything else in the world and I don't even want to imagine a life without them.

And right on cue, my 5 year old comes running across the room, no pants or underwear, penis swinging back and forth like an elephant's trunk, screaming like a crazy person.

"However, I would very much like to go 24 hours without having to look at another penis or butthole"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Renegret posted:

"I would very much like to go 24 hours without having to look at another penis or butthole"

New thread title!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Mother’s Day trip (accidentally) to Cincinnati because Sesame Street live wasn’t coming to our town and that was a good excuse to have a long weekend. I didn’t clock that it was Mother’s Day weekend when I bought the tickets in January, but it worked out. Kids were great in the car, surprisingly.

Friday-
5 hour drive straight to science center until they closed
Hotel check in, set up room for baby sleeping
Room service, jumping and climbing on everything
Sleep

Saturday-
Hotel breakfast
Hotel pool
Baby nap, chill time
Sesame street matinee
Aquarium
Dinner
Crash

Sunday-
Mother’s Day brunch
Pack room
Zoo (cinci zoo is pretty incredible)
5 hour drive home
9 o’clock bedtime

Pretty full iternary, and the 3.5 year old was absolutely just a gibberish machine by Sunday but other than that, I was shocked at how well it went. It helped that we stayed downtown and everything was either walkable or a very short drive. I got unexpectedly very emotional watching both girls see something in a theater for the first time, they both were just gobsmacked with wonder. Older baby was a little sad Abby never said hi back, despite her screaming “HIIII ABBYYYYYYYY. ABBBBBBYYYYYYY” every minute for the 120 min show.

I think I get why families put so much work into bringing their own food on trips like this. We probably spent way too much on the dinners, when our room had a microwave and the kids would’ve been totally fine with instamac and hotdogs or whatever.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 13, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Mother’s Day trip (accidentally) to Cincinnati because Sesame Street live wasn’t coming to our town.

Cincy goon parent here. Sounds like you hit a lot of the good downtown spots for kids and glad you had a great trip! My kids love the zoo, aquarium (even though it's technically in Kentucky), and the museum center. I think our city is underrated in a lot of ways, but I'm also biased. :)

Out of curiosity, which part of downtown did you stay / eat? I know the area directly near the Taft Theater is kinda barren. But it's close enough to The Banks, Fountain Square, or a streetcar ride up to OTR that you had a lot of choices.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 13, 2024

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

meanolmrcloud posted:

I think I get why families put so much work into bringing their own food on trips like this. We probably spent way too much on the dinners, when our room had a microwave and the kids would’ve been totally fine with instamac and hotdogs or whatever.

I don't even care about the money. To me, all the food is half the fun of trips like that. The problem is finding someone that kiddo will actually eat in the first place because he's so picky.

We're going to Disney in October and we've learned at this point to just get an instacart delivery to the room with a bunch of groceries. The resort breakfasts are pretty lackluster to begin with so it helps from a time and effort perspective to just butter a bagel or something and now I know I'll have food he'll actually eat so he's not a huge crankpot all day.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
spend 14 bucks on a kids meal.

Kid hates it, throws it on ground.

*sigh*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Actually for Disney we're getting a car service from the airport to the hotel and they offer to drop you off at a grocery store for up to 15 minutes for free.

Not gonna lie it sounds like a lot of fun to go full on supermarket sweep and try to get an entire shopping run done in 15 minutes but, eh I guess instacart is easier.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Cincy goon parent here. Sounds like you hit a lot of the good downtown spots for kids and glad you had a great trip! My kids love the zoo, aquarium (even though it's technically in Kentucky), and the museum center. I think our city is underrated in a lot of ways, but I'm also biased. :)

Out of curiosity, which part of downtown did you stay / eat? I know the area directly near the Taft Theater is kinda barren. But it's close enough to The Banks, Fountain Square, or a streetcar ride up to OTR that you had a lot of choices.

We were right by the Taft theater, and it was a little barren but still fun enough for exploring purposes. There was an incredible looking world burrito place that was closed that’s absolutely on my list for next time.

And yea, great town, plenty to do. It’ll be fun to come back when they are in the 6-10 range and we can spend a full day at the museum center and the zoo.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
It's galling when my toddler gags at the smell of poop during a diaper change. Yeah of course it stinks, and you're not even the one who has to clean it up!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Renegret posted:

Actually for Disney we're getting a car service from the airport to the hotel and they offer to drop you off at a grocery store for up to 15 minutes for free.

Not gonna lie it sounds like a lot of fun to go full on supermarket sweep and try to get an entire shopping run done in 15 minutes but, eh I guess instacart is easier.

You will read things that say you can have Instacart drop off stuff at your hotel before you arrive and they will store it for you.

This is technically true but the people doing the instacarting may or may not know about it. I got a call just before boarding the plane asking me to come to the lobby 1000 miles away to get the groceries and it was a whole ordeal getting them to just give it to the front desk

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We don't actually use instacart, I just said instacart because everyone knows what it is.

My wife found some Disney specific version, I'm pretty sure they don't operate through any formalized app, you just give them a list and venmo some money over when it's all done. They will only deliver to the resorts so they know the ins and outs extremely well. We've done it twice now and it's been extremely smooth both times.

There's giant swathes of self employed people who make a living offering gig services to resort guests. If you can think of it, someone's doing it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My daughter has decided her nipples are called "chocolate muscles" I lost it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We had a quiet evening for once, so I suggested a family game night. It was real touch and go at spots but we managed to make it through and end on a high note before bedtime.

At one point all three were crying and it was everything my wife and I could do to not bust out laughing. Got to yell “Trifecta!;” I haven’t had to do that in a very long time.

the game throw throw avocado is fun but can easily bring tears.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
One night: both kids sleep amazingly

Next night: certain doom

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Tom Smykowski posted:

One night: both kids sleep amazingly

Next night: certain doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
We are hittin that 4 month sleep regression hard. Time to do some sleep training, but we don’t want to start next week since I’m away for work, and then we are going to visit the in-laws so looks like we are just going to put up with crappy sleep and a lot of insistence on contact for the next two weeks :negative:

Any good sleep training tips?