Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Huh wow the Met Police investigated claims of racism and sexual assault and couldn't make a case :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I fear he will have a mental breakdown, just like fellow philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

"bike nonce"

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
can someone explain to me what bike nonce is supposed to mean, or is it literally just "you ride a bike and therefore are a nonce"

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I think it's more implying he likes to nonce bikes.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

nawilo_420 posted:

can someone explain to me what bike nonce is supposed to mean, or is it literally just "you ride a bike and therefore are a nonce"

i think so, but it could also be you are a nonce, on a bike, at least for the libel case

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

C'mon guy...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the problem was less that he was called "bike nonce" and more the image with Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Yeah, the images mean there's no doubt what he meant by the word.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I, for one, choose to bravely condemn the actions of this man on a deathtrap of a bicycle.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/DTathletic/status/1788294236447662414?t=XE4wd22m9CULDbySPEM0yw&s=19

0 days since the last allegations of sexual offences in football

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Sullivan seems to be the word on Twitter, but I don't know if that's based on anything.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
It's because of this from last year:

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/pinkun/status/1788531746301940031

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The Overton Window has been shifted on "Footballers Going Feral."

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
Scandal here in V League 1 with an excellent photo of the accused

https://vietnamnews.vn/sports/1655285/five-footballers-arrested-for-drug-use-immediately-suspended-by-football-federation.html

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Sponsored by LOTUS, lol

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0509/1448236-dundalk-goalkeeper-shelvey-given-10-match-suspension/

English keeper given red card for calling an official an "Irish oval office" after a League of Ireland match. 10 match ban which according to some I've read is the standard for "racial/discriminatory" abuse (first instance) so it's following and keeping up the standard. Fella accepts he shouldn't have said it, apologised, and understands and accepts it's discriminatory. He won't be appealing the ban.

Footballer going feral and then going, "Yer, I probably shouldn't have done that." Good stuff all around.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Has the referee denied the accusation?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I know if I was wildly prejudiced against the Irish, the first thing I'd do is take a job in Dundalk

(do not ask me about my job in Dundalk, I do not have a job in Dundalk)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Actually it's a term of endearment in England

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

out pops a smiling james mcclean

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mrenda posted:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0509/1448236-dundalk-goalkeeper-shelvey-given-10-match-suspension/

English keeper given red card for calling an official an "Irish oval office" after a League of Ireland match. 10 match ban which according to some I've read is the standard for "racial/discriminatory" abuse (first instance) so it's following and keeping up the standard. Fella accepts he shouldn't have said it, apologised, and understands and accepts it's discriminatory. He won't be appealing the ban.

Footballer going feral and then going, "Yer, I probably shouldn't have done that." Good stuff all around.

He's been dogshit all season, anyway.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mickolution posted:

He's been dogshit all season, anyway.

LOI.tv is too expensive to subscribe to. And it's all upfront if you want the entire season, replays (which were limited last time I looked,) replays of matches that are on at the same time so you can't watch them live, etc. rather than a month by month sub. gently caress that. At that point I'm rarely bothered to even watch the games on RTÉ. Got some match passes to watch Cork City games a few time last season, and to be fair their customer service (when you found it) was pretty good if anything went wrong with the stream. No argument from them and straight up, "We can offer you a refund or give you a match pass to another game. Just email us the day before the match you want the pass to telling us which one." Always chose the free pass as I'd prefer the football to the cash I've already spent.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, can't justify the price of it at all. I have a season ticket for Dundalk and it was only €50 more and all of that goes to the club.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The night-time matches make it a pain in the rear end for me. Even at the height of summer it'd be too dark for me to get a bus home as by the time I get to my destination the walk along the roads is too dark and dangerous even if you're lit up like a Christmas tree. It's bad enough during they day that I've been less inclined to take the bus lately.

So that means when you combine the cost of tickets+taxi+few pints it's just too much given what I have coming in. A Saturday or Sunday afternoon game when I could head into town after and do a bit of shopping and maybe get a spin home would be much better. There's a reason most English games are on at 3pm on a Saturday.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

greazeball posted:

In lighter news (somewhat), Joey Barton is going to get reamed in court and probably lose all his money, so that's something.

‘Bankruptcy awaits’ Joey Barton as libel cases filed

A reminder at this point that while a lawyer will take on any case if they're going to get paid, actual qualified lawyer Eni Alunko probably wouldn't start one she didn't expect to win.

Then again she's also a Tory so it'll be funny either way.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mrenda posted:

The night-time matches make it a pain in the rear end for me. Even at the height of summer it'd be too dark for me to get a bus home as by the time I get to my destination the walk along the roads is too dark and dangerous even if you're lit up like a Christmas tree. It's bad enough during they day that I've been less inclined to take the bus lately.

So that means when you combine the cost of tickets+taxi+few pints it's just too much given what I have coming in. A Saturday or Sunday afternoon game when I could head into town after and do a bit of shopping and maybe get a spin home would be much better. There's a reason most English games are on at 3pm on a Saturday.

it's insane to me that games start at 9pm in france. champions league 9:15 kickoff, with some extra time and it can be midnight before you get out of the stadium

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same in Spain, 21:00 kickoff today and 22:00 for a load of the midweek games. I guess the heat is a reason.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Thanks Ants posted:

Same in Spain, 21:00 kickoff today and 22:00 for a load of the midweek games. I guess the heat is a reason.

That’s a nice pre-dinner activity in Spain

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was a culture shock for me the first couple of times, dead on my feet and then settling into a restaurant at 11pm

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Was a culture shock for me the first couple of times, dead on my feet and then settling into a restaurant at 11pm

I don't mind the eating times. I'm happy to eat late as long as I know that's what I'm doing. I'll just take the morning lazily then nibble and have a couple of light meals (baguette, bitta ham, light cheese,) as well as frequent coffees, during the day, instead of a giant meal in the evening.

I think the UK and Irish have hosed up our drinking patterns. We should be day drinking during the winter as well as the summer. We have more light during the day, plus a few hours in darkness for when you're pished. Going until the early hours ain't right unless you're in your twenties, at most. Pensioners have it correct, early afternoon, into the pub, midweek, by 3pm, few pints until 8pm, then an early sleep and you have the next morning and early afternoon to do all your business and eat. If the pub is good you can go until 10pm, at which point you're committed til closing but still have a "Pull up! Pull up!" safety call. Closing is no later than midnight. No loving late-bars outside special occasions or you've met the most interesting person in ten years. Definitely not for a shag unless you're recently divorced. Hopeful, driven by the horn, 2am drinks is the preserve of idiocy you've grown out of.

Only going day drinking on summer, bank holiday, sunny weekends allows you no rhythm. It's for amateurs, or people on cocaine or who are a outright dangerous, but I repeat myself.

I think the North of France has it right, with their culture, for our climate. Long days (actual daytime) on the weekend, starting at 11am. Constantly drinking, constantly eating, big family event in a house/apartment (whether family of friends, or literal family.) By 8pm everyone is glowing and ready to explode and the kids are knackered and ready to sleep. Although the Northern French guys I knew said they appreciated our weekend sports/club/team culture of do something from the morning until about 4 pm, clean up, big group in the pub with no pressure and drink stout until 11pm.

My Simplified Theory of Northern European Drinking — Excluding Scandinavia. (Scandinavia being an almost completely different, but parallel, discipline.)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian mid-week games are generally 9:30 or 9:45pm

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japan has settled into having mid-afternoon kickoffs early in the season (March-May) and late on (October-November), shifting to a lot of 6 pm twilight kickoffs for the summer months. There’s no time change, so the sun is up at like 4:30 in Tokyo in June and July, and sets by 7, so that keeps things nicely out of the heat.

There’s a plan to switch to the European calendar in a couple years, which probably will mean those two will flip a little, but it avoids the worst of summer.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
2pm Sunday kickoffs in Brisbane in January are absolute hell for the fans and the players but it's the A league so insane stupid decisions come with the territory

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/eurofootcom/status/1789934899891208699?t=SO5Fhhjwtyo7rqji0e3cWA&s=19

Don't know if that's feral or something to applaud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That should be allowed if you manage to do five games without anybody noticing that you seem to have forgotten who they are

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'd like to point out that they're alleging "around 5 games" and the lad, or his brother, has made 5 total appearances for the club.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Absolute chaos when edelino goes to the club inquiry in his brothers place

Did edelino ever exist or is this an elaborate scheme for one guy to get paid twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Is there an Airbud rule where identical DNA doesn't count as the same person in football?

POINT AT IT COWARD