Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hot take: an ADM is a lot more honest than that tack on bullshit, some of which is actively harmful.

Certainly better than some shoddy wired antitheft system or awful quality tint/ PPF that messes things up, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does this seem like a decent enough deal on a new CR-V Hybrid AWD Sport-L?

Doin the math based on a dealer cost of $36,969 and 5% profit, tax, doc stamps, and electronic filing fee gets me $40,375 out the door. Seems like they're making up some of their 'discount' with some random fees BS 'license' and 'dealer documents' fees, but does the out the door price seem reasonable for the market these days?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
OTD TTL etc for 600 above MSRP seems very reasonable to me

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

lol the Genesis/Hyundai dealer across the bay from us is the one I first went shopping at. Young kid salesman, no bullshit, knew his product, made my decision on the GV70, went home, talked with the wife, picked options and color, looked around the internet to get the range of prices and some low ones across the Southeast to negotiate against, then went back there.

12 grand markup on every car. Nitrogen in the tires, anti-theft yadda yadda. 12 grand of dealer puffery, and they refused to even back an inch off of it. I said welp, I gave you a fair shot at it, guess I'm getting on a plane. See you at my first oil change. Then the kid said if you don't buy it here, you can't get it serviced here.

I was so dumbstruck at such an obvious lie, that I couldn't think of a witty retort. But even better- my wife just started laughing at him. I figured that worked better than anything I could say, so we left.

poo poo like this is why the car dealer cabal/lobby needs to be smashed into little tiny bits, scooped up and put into an incinerator. But because their lobby has infiltrated most state legislatures they are pretty much untouchable.

State legislatures need to be smashed into little bits, scooped up and put into an incinerator.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Girding myself to buy two cars essentially as both my mom's and my Mazda3 2013 are nearing the end of life and she'll need my helping to not get f-ed over

Love how Florida banned direct to consumer car selling except for Tesla, and also banned manufacturers from telling dealerships they'll lower delivery amounts if they keep markings up prices for popular cars.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Number_6 posted:

poo poo like this is why the car dealer cabal/lobby needs to be smashed into little tiny bits, scooped up and put into an incinerator. But because their lobby has infiltrated most state legislatures they are pretty much untouchable.

State legislatures need to be smashed into little bits, scooped up and put into an incinerator.

Yeah; but the most prominent alternative model is begging Elon on X for help (love the car though.) Not super excited about Kia using my social media follower count and the virality of my post for help to determine whether to cover a known defect as a goodwill charge.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
So, I need some thoughts from people. I’m in the market for a “fun” family car. My wife really wants to be driven around in something luxurious and I want something that’s comfortable and has the option to maybe do some mild off-roading, mostly to get to trailheads and such.

I was, unfortunately, diagnosed with young onset Parkinson’s, I have full mobility now but likely that’s going away in 15-20 years so I’m inclined to ignore my instinct to just get a base model honda and get something more fun for what is realistically my last or second to last vehicle.

I’m currently looking at the lexus GX 550, I drove it and I really like it, the drawback being the really poor gas mileage but it does have the off-road chops and I plan to go see as many national parks and hike as much as I can manage.

My wife is in love with a Mercedes GLE 450 we test drove. While it is a smooth, comfortable ride, I worry that I wouldn’t feel comfortable throwing mulch in the back and taking it out to some of the trailheads that require some dicey roads. I also worry about reliability, especially with newer Mercedes.

These vehicles cost in the high 70’s and that’s ok for what I’m willing to spend but I certainly am up for paying less. I would want a vehicle I can rely on for at least 8 years or so, preferably new. If/when my condition progresses, I figure I’ll have to change my vehicle to fit those needs but for now I have no restrictions. I do have three kids with two in college that still come home and want to go on family trips in the summer so I’d like something capable of accommodating 5 but the car will most frequently host 1-3 passengers. I know it’s cliche to be looking at the chunky SUV’s but I was in a horrible 4 car pileup a few years ago where I was buried under an F-350 and being in something low to the ground gives me PTSD.

I’m open to other car suggestions as well, other vehicles I’ve test driven include: Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander/grand Highlander, BMW X5, Nissan Armada, Kia Telluride, Subaru Odessey and Ascent.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The design is getting a little long in the tooth but have you checked out the Volvo XC90?

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

priznat posted:

The design is getting a little long in the tooth but have you checked out the Volvo XC90?

No, Volvo wasn’t even on my radar, I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also worth checking out a CX-5/CX-50. People have wildly different ideas of off-road to a trailhead, but if some of those others are on your list, I'd definitely not make any decisions before test driving one.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Check out the Audi Q5 and SQ5, as a cross shop to the X5. Porsche Cayenne or Macan too? Price will be high for these things sadly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

No, Volvo wasn’t even on my radar, I’ll check it out. Thanks!

I have a V60 (wagon) with the same drivetrain available in the plug in hybrid version of the XC90 and it is extremely zippy and can go like 64km/40mi on battery alone. It’s been around in the same basic form since 2015 I think so they should have all the kinks ironed out

Being Volvo I did get the manufacturers warranty extended another 3 years though because I want to keep mine for a while.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I bought a car and did the thing where you make like you are going to walk out and get some other car and it worked. Thanks goons

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

euphronius posted:

I bought a car and did the thing where you make like you are going to walk out and get some other car and it worked. Thanks goons

Ugh, I had the thing happen where they take your key to appraise your trade and then don’t want to give it back while they pressure you to make an on the spot decision. I really hate car dealerships.

I’ll go test drive a Volvo and Mazda tomorrow, thanks for the suggestions!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I always make sure to ask that they do NOT put any dealership stickers on the car I hate that poo poo. Plate frames are fine I can just take those off later.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I asked them to give me my keys back after they appraised the trade car. The sales guy said sure “we don’t play games here “

I was trading in an old Kia so I had to stamp my feet awhile to get any good trade in value

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 12, 2024

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
I guess it must work often enough to try it. My wife was over the moon about the Mercedes but when they pulled that it just made me want to walk out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's helpful to know what is your definition of offroad. For some people it's climbing on a rocky incline, for others it's when asphalt becomes gravel. One of those requires specialty systems, the other is traversable by base model Honda civic

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Nitrox posted:

It's helpful to know what is your definition of offroad. For some people it's climbing on a rocky incline, for others it's when asphalt becomes gravel. One of those requires specialty systems, the other is traversable by base model Honda civic

Good question, I may take it to Arches but don’t plan to go far off trail or over rocks. I’m more interested in something that can handle gravel and mud with mild inclines. A good example would be Howland Hill road, which I’ve even done in a minivan but it wasn’t fun, especially pulling off to the side in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upPkI7JrJjE

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Any car with appropriate tires can do that. Not even requiring AWD unless it's muddy.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Any car with appropriate tires can do that. Not even requiring AWD unless it's muddy.

Oh I agree, I have encountered portions of similar roads that are partially washed out or very muddy so I think AWD should be a reasonable ask but I don’t need a crazy rock-hopper. If I end up in a worse case than that situation, it’s purely accidental. But being able to get out of it without too much hassle is a plus. :)

Nodelphi fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 12, 2024

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
E:double post

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Agreed, that if this is a thing you regularly do, especially alone (one car) you should have AWD if not actual 4 wheel drive.

Just pointing out for the thread, for the millionth time, most people do not need crazy offroad packages and 4wd to "go to trailheads" or whatever else they think is a big deal. Cars with the right tires on them are much more capable than the average person is aware of.

It's also okay to say "I want something that looks like a tough offroad toy and i can afford to pay for that" and just buy that because that's what you want. I just tire of the inane justifications.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Agreed, that if this is a thing you regularly do, especially alone (one car) you should have AWD if not actual 4 wheel drive.

Just pointing out for the thread, for the millionth time, most people do not need crazy offroad packages and 4wd to "go to trailheads" or whatever else they think is a big deal. Cars with the right tires on them are much more capable than the average person is aware of.

It's also okay to say "I want something that looks like a tough offroad toy and i can afford to pay for that" and just buy that because that's what you want. I just tire of the inane justifications.

I agree, I’ve been doing that in a Honda Odessey so it’s definitely possible but when my family’s the only minivan in the bunch and everyone else has giant tires you start to think maybe you should turn around.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nodelphi posted:

I agree, I’ve been doing that in a Honda Odessey so it’s definitely possible but when my family’s the only minivan in the bunch and everyone else has giant tires you start to think maybe you should turn around.
That looks like the kind of road that anything BUT a minivan could handle with ease, and apparently it can handle it just fine. My grandfather was a forester and drove a Buick sedan all over the woods. Admittedly these were fairly flat pine woods in the SE and if the roads were wet enough to require 4WD we’d stay off them anyway because they’d turn into a foot deep rutted mess of sticky red clay if anyone did drive on them.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler
Yeah, that particular road is recorded at pretty much ideal conditions for that video, it can be much rougher with ruts and debris. I do tend to exercise caution and not push the issue if things are too bad though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My dad used to buy the early 1980s land yacht "Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham" for 250,000 miles, the go buy another garage queen Cadillac with 20k miles on it from a grandma estate sale for $1200 and drive it up to 250k miles again rinse repeat for 18 years

Anyways we used to live up near Seattle I think we drove it up and down every logging access road in Washington State, and in the winter we'd drive it's up into the mountains to go skiing. I don't ever recall getting stuck and it's not like we were leet off-roader dudes

One year we got caught in a blizzard in Yellowstone and it did get a little hairy, a tour bus passed us and flattened down the snow on the road and we just drove behind it for two hours that was about the worst

That car had no traction control and about 125hp and white wall tires

I continue the tradition in our family sedan with summer tires, only got stuck once and only because I was backing onto the road and didn't carry enough speed. I wouldn't hesitate to drive on the road in that video in a lovely airport rental car.

Offer does not apply in rust belt and other places where snow is on the ground more than 15 days a year

Motronic posted:

I'm pushing real hard to get a land cruiser mall crawler :black101:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah, that particular road is recorded at pretty much ideal conditions for that video, it can be much rougher with ruts and debris. I do tend to exercise caution and not push the issue if things are too bad though.

Right.....but #1 it's a road that is #2 maintained is my point. You just don't need that much.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Right.....but #1 it's a road that is #2 maintained is my point. You just don't need that much.

Oh I totally agree. Fun, can seat 5 and mildly capable, that’s all I’m looking for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

Oh I totally agree. Fun, can seat 5 and mildly capable, that’s all I’m looking for.

You can also want and buy more than that. You just don't get to justify it based on that road. It's okay, you're supposed to like and enjoy your car. If you can afford it that's all good.

My wife drives a 200 series land cruiser just in case she needs to drive on the grass to park for a school event. She likes it. We can afford it. It's fine.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nodelphi posted:

Get the Lexus you want. That’s what I would do.

I’m going to get flamed for this but I love full size truck based SUV’s. I have an Expedition with the stealth package and 4wd and it’s crazy comfortable and capable. Gas mileage is poo poo though. There’s a reason they sell so many Yukons, Tahoes and Expeditions though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I’m going to get flamed for this but I love full size truck based SUV’s. I have an Expedition with the stealth package and 4wd and it’s crazy comfortable and capable. Gas mileage is poo poo though. There’s a reason they sell so many Yukons, Tahoes and Expeditions though.

100% correct. They just work if that's what you want, need and can afford. And they no longer ride like garbage. That's been over since the 2010s.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Isn't there a completely new Land Cruiser this year? I think they start somewhere in the high 50's. I think it might be something for you to consider.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Isn't there a completely new Land Cruiser this year? I think they start somewhere in the high 50's. I think it might be something for you to consider.

The Lexus GX550 he mentioned is the new Land Cruiser J300 series, the replacement for the 200 series. It just doesn't come in Toyota trim in the US anymore. You're probably talking about the Land Cruiser Prado they brought in and branded as a Land Cruiser without much other distinguishment. It can not be confused with a 200/300 series - at all - especially not in terms of luxury which I believe was a requirement.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Averaged 27mpg driving round trip to Mammoth from Tahoe last weekend, with a huge roof box on top, in a diesel Yukon. poo poo mileage, but can be a lost less poo poo

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Steve French posted:

Averaged 27mpg driving round trip to Mammoth from Tahoe last weekend, with a huge roof box on top, in a diesel Yukon. poo poo mileage, but can be a lost less poo poo

Oh wow the 3 liter diesel does that well on the highway? That’s drat nice.

The “ecoboost” in the Expedition I have gets like 14.5 city and may kiss 20 hwy.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Note: Diesel’s currently like 20% more expensive, and it’s been around that for at least the past year. It’s kind of a wash in terms of operating cost, but you can go further on a same-size tank.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DNK posted:

Note: Diesel’s currently like 20% more expensive, and it’s been around that for at least the past year. It’s kind of a wash in terms of operating cost, but you can go further on a same-size tank.

I’m not going to argue that other folks should go for it, but this is highly location dependent. For the 6 months or so we’ve owned it, where we are diesel has been either roughly the same as gas, or a good bit cheaper. My last fill up was $3.50/gal, and 87 octane at the same station was $4.40/gal.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm pretty sure the fuel pricing is location depending because it's taxed differently. Long haul truckers will fill up in one state but not the other because of that discrepancy. Not the luxury most regular consumers have, because we're forced to fuel up near where we live.

Why EV cars make the most sense to anyone who can charge at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Steve French posted:

I’m not going to argue that other folks should go for it, but this is highly location dependent. For the 6 months or so we’ve owned it, where we are diesel has been either roughly the same as gas, or a good bit cheaper. My last fill up was $3.50/gal, and 87 octane at the same station was $4.40/gal.

If you are filling on the CA side (which I assume you are) that means you are getting CA summer mix which is even more expensive than just normal CA higher gas prices. I assume you know but it is kind of relevant to the thread.