Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cactus Ghost posted:

fixing a broken bolt beats the hell out of fixing stripped threads. i'd bet the soft bolts are them being like "nobody is ever going to torque this to spec, and the case is aluminum, so make the bolt of spun sugar"

They are made of cheese specifically so they fail before the threads in the case do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Midjack posted:

It seems pretty common from looking at the internet.

Yup we have plenty of company

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

They are made of cheese specifically so they fail before the threads in the case do

It's a smart idea yeah. Lots of (well designed) machines have intentional sacrificial parts like that. For instance, one of our lathes has a single nylon gear in its geartrain so that if it jams somehow, that cheap and easy-to-replace gear strips out instead of something much larger and more expensive self-destructing with a lot more energy.

Also it must be time to post this video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KpbCbOiYQ&t=922s

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 30, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I spent May day riding the old/new DRZ on gravel roads and logging trails.

I suck at this. When I have a bag strapped to the rack I find it very difficult to gracefully get off the bike. I forget to open the petcock. My gear smells like exhaust and I'm very tired mentally. I tried to find 6th gear every time I had to go on asphalt for a bit. Anyway this bike is great, wheel spin and skids and slides rule and I can't wait to do this again and slide around some more.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Am I shooting myself in the foot by getting a new battery for my Scrambler from Canadian Tire, rather than paying more for another Yuasa battery like it came with? Or am I overthinking this?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I got a cheap battery for my scrambler that ended up leaking acid. I'd rather pay a bit more than deal with that again. I'm using an Energizer now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by getting a new battery for my Scrambler from Canadian Tire, rather than paying more for another Yuasa battery like it came with? Or am I overthinking this?

If the battery you're getting is rated the same and has a warranty I wouldn't worry

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Slavvy posted:

If the battery you're getting is rated the same and has a warranty I wouldn't worry

The only difference in the specifications is the cold-cranking amps (150 vs 215, Motomaster vs Yuasa).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

The only difference in the specifications is the cold-cranking amps (150 vs 215, Motomaster vs Yuasa).

That is quite a bit lower rated, to the point where I wouldn't be happy running it in a notoriously hard starting v-twin

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Yeah that’s where my mind went too - I’ve got the new Yuasa charging in the basement now, I appreciate your help pals.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It'll be fine if you don't start it yeah, just don't fill it with oil until you've fixed it

Fixed and filled with oil, we're back up and running though it's too late in the day to even start riding. Weather is trash but next Sunday should be good to begin riding about a month later than I'd hoped to this year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well okay I would have been good riding today but the battery is low, started up ok after the oil change to check level and I let it run for 15 minutes, then it's been sitting for a couple of weeks. Was all ready to head out today but nope. I dragged the bike back to the back deck and have it plugged into the battery tender again in hopes that the flashing red light will go solid and juice it back up but I may have to wait another week while I get a replacement battery.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I just hit 9k total miles but it feels like a lot more since September of '21.

Though the guy that owned the bike before me had it for 8 years, was the second owner, and sold it to me with 18k on the odometer, so lols

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That battery's not coming back, fingers crossed the new one gets here before next weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bike starts with new battery, I should get out Sunday.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I finally got out this year, beginning my fourth year of riding. I didn't backslide on skills as much as I was afraid I would over the off season though I still caught myself not leaning into turns quite enough. I had a check engine light on initially, but since I just changed the battery I assumed it was a sensor that lost calibration and the light was gone after riding a few miles and a power cycle.

Four years is probably pushing the conventional definition of "newbie" but I still feel like I have a lot to learn from my 300cc Honda.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
How many miles/km of riding over those four years?

I've been riding for a similar amount of years but I think time in the saddle is what builds experience. I also think that the type of riding you do and to a certain degree the type of bike you do it on has a great influence on what skills you build, and at what pace. The previous owner of my current daily rider averaged less than 2000km per season. I ride at least three times as much. It stands to reason that I would leave the state of newbie (whatever that is) at least three times as fast as that guy, all other things being equal.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

there's a 2017 390duke for 4500 near me and im thinking about it. it'd be triple the horsepower of my current lil guy but also has abs

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That's a fine riding moto by all accounts. FWIW my old riding school used those bikes for licence class A2 -it's right at the upper power limit of 35kW. Not sure about reliability issues but it sure is orange.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cactus Ghost posted:

there's a 2017 390duke for 4500 near me and im thinking about it. it'd be triple the horsepower of my current lil guy but also has abs

I'd go for a 2019+ if you can. The earlier ones were a little more hit and miss with reliability (even for a KTM)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Invalido posted:

How many miles/km of riding over those four years?

I've been riding for a similar amount of years but I think time in the saddle is what builds experience. I also think that the type of riding you do and to a certain degree the type of bike you do it on has a great influence on what skills you build, and at what pace. The previous owner of my current daily rider averaged less than 2000km per season. I ride at least three times as much. It stands to reason that I would leave the state of newbie (whatever that is) at least three times as fast as that guy, all other things being equal.

About 1200 miles over those four years. I can't really ride to work for a number of reasons so I'm a fair weather weekend rider to the tune of 40-50 miles on a day when I can get out. Riding is suburban surface streets though I have done some brief limited access highway excursions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

looks like im getting a new helmet. i bit off more than i could chew riding some local trails and sailed off the side of the trail and over the handlebars, breaking my fall against a log with my face. all ive got is a fat lip. $400 well spent