Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

How about some pre-northern lights shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man I am such a copycat. I am hoping to do that exact scene in the fourth one in three weeks.

Was hoping for some water reflections but that seems unlikely.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Man I am such a copycat. I am hoping to do that exact scene in the fourth one in three weeks.

Was hoping for some water reflections but that seems unlikely.

Dooo it.

FYI - There's water closer to SLC. But it's also hit or miss cause that water is full of tires and other trash.

Also, the rest stop is now fully closed off so you can't get on the salt flats from there. You need to go a bit further west on 80. "Bonneville Salt Flats International Raceway, Bonneville Speedway Road, Wendover, UT 84083" is the better entrance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's absolutely happening especially if you can guarantee blue hour colors like you got. It's just proving I am not doing anything original. :v:

And yeah the idea is to snap pictures at the raceway and sneak some sleep in the BLM hills just to the west.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some more Airpark, 35mm this time (which I seem to have overcooked a little, either in dev or exposure).

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Love it

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

*cool IR images*

Are these digital or film? If film what film stock?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

Are these digital or film? If film what film stock?

Pretty much every photo I post is film, Rollei IR with a 720nm filter, 6x6 medium format.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

Pretty much every photo I post is film, Rollei IR with a 720nm filter, 6x6 medium format.

Thought so, thanks for confirming. Do you bracket much or have you found a bulletproof way to meter IR?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

Thought so, thanks for confirming. Do you bracket much or have you found a bulletproof way to meter IR?

I've only just started shooting IR in earnest, this time round I bracketed every shot at ISO 6 and 3 and in some cases I used the 3, in others the 6. I'm putting it all in a table so I can figure out starting points all through the year.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

I've only just started shooting IR in earnest, this time round I bracketed every shot at ISO 6 and 3 and in some cases I used the 3, in others the 6. I'm putting it all in a table so I can figure out starting points all through the year.

Crazy! I shot a roll at ISO12 and it was way overexposed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's all going to change based on time of year, latitude, elevation and metering technique. In summer I was metering at 12 and it was doing me well.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Creek-20240516-1 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gcbw (2 of 2) by david childers, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I like all of this black and white photos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TomR posted:

I like all of this black and white photos.

same, it inspired me to try that last one in B&W and I liked it way more.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

If the colour aint adding it's detracting.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I just can’t afford colour film

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Megabound posted:

I just can’t afford film

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't commit so I shoot digital and convert.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scrub oak

rock pile

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

2 is really nice, love that cloud cover

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Went to Purling Brook Falls yesterday and tried out my new camera. It was really overcast by the time we got there so the pics came out a little flat, but I think there was a couple nice shots in there. I also took some film but its gonna take me a while to get it developed. Overall pretty happy with this cheap lens, I don't think the iso was particularly high on any of these shots but I took a couple in the rainforest and i'm happy enough with the olympus' low light performance.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Really love this rock formation...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Love that moonlit one.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i went to see the redwoods and ended up falling in love with the ocean

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Sick

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

I really enjoy this thread. Got a chance to take the camera out on the weekend, ended up in a lovely bit of woodland.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm very late in editing these photos, but here's more aurora spam. These ones are Tasmania flavoured..

starlink :rant:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hell ye

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Starlink pisses me off more every time I see them go by again.

I love that last warp speed looking one.

That event turned me into an Aurora nerd and now I'm trying convince the wife we should go to Iceland for Christmas.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

xzzy posted:

Starlink pisses me off more every time I see them go by again.

I love that last warp speed looking one.

That event turned me into an Aurora nerd and now I'm trying convince the wife we should go to Iceland for Christmas.

When I was taking those photos there were a few older dudes with expensive Sony cameras hanging about. When someone said that’s starlink!, an old Santa looking Finnish guy yelled “loving Mussssk!”. Got a good laugh from everyone there.

I first saw the aurora last year in Tassie and had never seen it before, so went back at the start of May to specifically capture it again, had no idea there’d be a solar storm the same time I was there lol