Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1788345839620071570

quote:

Intel has released an official statement regarding the 13th & 14th gen recommended Intel default settings. There’s no ‘Baseline” profile for the K-SKU parts. There's an “Extreme” 253W PL1/PL2 profile and a “Performance” PL1 125W/PL2 253W profile. The Extreme profile is what we just tested, the performance profile could be much slower, depending on the workload.

Now Intel says depending on the motherboard’s capabilities, either of these profiles is recommended, or enabled by default. So how do you know if you have a ‘Performance’ or ‘Extreme’ motherboard?

Furthermore, there’s no motherboard certification program for this, all LGA1700 boards still claim support for the 14900K as an example, but some are hard locked to a 95W limit (can only sustain around 65w), and therefore can’t even run the “Performance” profile.

Of course, this has all been kept vague to Intel’s advantage. Have a $700 motherboard that can’t run your 14900K stable? That’s because you’re using the extreme profile, you’ll need to drop those heavy workloads down to 125w with the performance profile for around a 20% performance decrease.

quote:

Is the Asrock B660-HDV an 'Extreme' or 'Performance' profile board? Look it supports the 14900K and KS!

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B660M-HDV/index.asp#CPU

Please [note] the '12900K' can only sustain a P-core frequency of just 2.5 GHz on this board with the VRM’s at 104c, that’s a 62W sustained limit which DECREASED performance by 42%, meaning the 12900K should have been around 70% faster if working as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wait does that if I got a 14900K that there's a die roll that I should have gotten something as far back as 9th generation instead?

Edit: Semiconductor pun not intended lol.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Most of the time you should just not have gotten motherboard A, B or C, because they run it outside of whatever frequency/voltage combo you need for basic stability, or can't provide enough power to run at intended speeds at all. Meanwhile, motherboards D, E and F might all run it rock solid because they keep more sane settings. Intel lets them all claim support because who has time to make a simple spec that motherboard makers should follow when they are too busy fighting a marketing battle over halo products that very few people would buy in the first place.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's wild that Intel went from being a safe, stable and power efficient choice to this absolute cluster

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
From what I hear Gelsinger is slowly turning the ship in the right direction after the mess from previous management, so hopefully they will start getting new process nodes up and running soon-ish and not have to blast 200+W of power just to be sort of competitive at the high end.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HalloKitty posted:

It's wild that Intel went from being a safe, stable and power efficient choice to this absolute cluster

AMD also have their problems this generation with exploding CPUs, don't they? Kinda puts me in mind of the Snapdragon 808 and 810 chipsets nearly a decade ago.

Bofast posted:

From what I hear Gelsinger is slowly turning the ship in the right direction after the mess from previous management, so hopefully they will start getting new process nodes up and running soon-ish and not have to blast 200+W of power just to be sort of competitive at the high end.

Any good reading on how Intel management messed up in the 2010s versus what the new CEO is doing now? I haven't a clue about the design and manufacture of CPUs but if it was related to poor business management that's probably more digestible for me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

in one word, investment

Intel is functionally a research institution and has always had enormous sums of money go towards product development and fabrication tooling, but look at their recent financials and you will see that they have doubled down in a real way on investment in fabrication and new nodes, seemingly without restriction.

when Pat said a few months ago that he was betting the future of Intel on the coming months and years, I actually believe that he's not kidding around.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

To spell it out, this contrasts to the Intel run by career managers and accountants and finance wonks, to whom eternally pushing back the line between reinvestment and dividends is perfectly fine and totally sustainable forever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

To spell it out, this contrasts to the Intel run by career managers and accountants and finance wonks, to whom eternally pushing back the line between reinvestment and dividends is perfectly fine and totally sustainable forever.

I’ve sat through too many intel presentations where they spend 90 minutes saying absolutely nothing except the most superficial marketing fluff about a market segment the customer is a leader in

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

AMD also have their problems this generation with exploding CPUs, don't they?

A little bit, but it wasn't a design defect like the 14900K. A couple mobo vendors shipped boards with juiced voltage based on "this is safe" info for the previous generation, which were not safe for the new one. Only a relative handful of CPUs got smoked, IIRC less than a dozen confirmed cases.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Potato Salad posted:

in one word, investment

Intel is functionally a research institution and has always had enormous sums of money go towards product development and fabrication tooling, but look at their recent financials and you will see that they have doubled down in a real way on investment in fabrication and new nodes, seemingly without restriction.

when Pat said a few months ago that he was betting the future of Intel on the coming months and years, I actually believe that he's not kidding around.

If this doesn't work, Broadcom is going to buy Intel and pull a VMWare on them, which would be one hell of a wild ride. I do think Intel would still cashflow for years if they cut R&D to zero, which is what Broadcom does.

https://www.techspot.com/news/102931-opinion-could-broadcom-buy-intel.html

quote:

The math seems to work. Broadcom last year generated $28 billion in semis revenue, at what we estimate is about 70% gross margins

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hurrrrrgh Broadcom is the loving worst.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

They seem to actually care about their semi biz, compared to the enterprise software revenue factory

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Potato Salad posted:

Everyone knows that when you're in first place the sensible thing to do is keep juuuuust ahead of second place and aspire to no more; on an unrelated subject it's been a few hours since I've had a turn Scrooge McDucking through the company cocaine vault so,

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

in a well actually posted:

They seem to actually care about their semi biz, compared to the enterprise software revenue factory

They have a really bad rep in the semi biz too, for a while I worked for one of their main competition in the storage space and I would always hear from the sales and marketing guys how glad customers were that they had an option other than Broadcom to go with.

Then we got bought by Microchip and they’re basically just a shittier wannabe version of Broadcom.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

"Customers are for squeezing, not pleasing." -Cygni, SomethingAwful Forums Poster

and what i mean by that is you should hug them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

If this doesn't work, Broadcom is going to buy Intel and pull a VMWare on them, which would be one hell of a wild ride. I do think Intel would still cashflow for years if they cut R&D to zero, which is what Broadcom does.

https://www.techspot.com/news/102931-opinion-could-broadcom-buy-intel.html

If anyone in western government is at all serious about what they say about China this would have to trigger a WWII era war production board style de facto nationalization of Intel, or at least the foundries.

Regardless of whether Xi Jinping is going to invade Taiwan or whatever, the power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it.

…apparently all threads are dune threads. The sand must flow

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 10, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DoombatINC posted:

Everyone knows that when you're in first place the sensible thing to do is keep juuuuust ahead of second place and aspire to no more; on an unrelated subject it's been a few hours since I've had a turn Scrooge McDucking through the company cocaine vault so,

That's why you gotta give it to Nvidia, they keep churning generational wins while stomping AMD into the curb.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

If anyone in western government is at all serious about what they say about China this would have to trigger a WWII era war production board style de facto nationalization of Intel, or at least the foundries.

Regardless of whether Xi Jinping is going to invade Taiwan or whatever, the power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it.

…apparently all threads are dune threads. The sand must flow
ASML is still the only company to make the machines for producing the EUV photolithography machines that make the wafers.

Mind you, someone pulled a Harkonnen and made off with a bunch of their IP.

Canned Sunshine posted:

That's why you gotta give it to Nvidia, they keep churning generational wins while stomping AMD into the curb.
And this is good for consumers how?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

They're not stalling progress solely because their competitor is so far behind; the impetus is on AMD to actually catch up, which if they can, will result in better pricing for customers.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Klyith posted:

A little bit, but it wasn't a design defect like the 14900K. A couple mobo vendors shipped boards with juiced voltage based on "this is safe" info for the previous generation, which were not safe for the new one. Only a relative handful of CPUs got smoked, IIRC less than a dozen confirmed cases.

There is basically no difference in the situations at all, and the 14900K doesn't have a design defect. With VSOC AMD let the vendors increase it, they pushed it as far as possible so they could win in motherboard vs motherboard comparisons, then AMD had to step in to enforce caps by default to protect chips (basically identical sequence). Higher VSOC lets you push higher memory clocks, which is why you had vendors at launch marketing their boards with DDR5-6600 but now it's a lottery whether you can stabilise DDR5-6400.

It also wasn't based on previous gen at all, last generation Ryzen had lower maximum safe VSOC. Zen3 had a maximum VSOC of 1.2v in the guidance to the motherboard vendors, AMD's guidance to motherboard vendors before launch for Zen4 was 1.4v maximum which was revised to a 1.3v hard cap after chips started exploding.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

AMD also have their problems this generation with exploding CPUs, don't they? Kinda puts me in mind of the Snapdragon 808 and 810 chipsets nearly a decade ago.

Any good reading on how Intel management messed up in the 2010s versus what the new CEO is doing now? I haven't a clue about the design and manufacture of CPUs but if it was related to poor business management that's probably more digestible for me.

You could get some of the info from here: https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/31/intel_earnings_analysis/

Charlie at Semiaccurate also has some more details behind the paywall of this article: https://semiaccurate.com/2018/08/02/intel-guts-10nm-to-get-it-out-the-door/, but just to generalize Krzanich talked in early 2018 about getting spending down and one of their major issues back then was that this was silently achieved by significantly lowering the amount of engineers working on parts of their already disastrous manufacturing processes.

Cue key problems being harder/slower to solve because of a lack of manpower, skilled employees quitting, low morale and general misery.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Yeah but think about all the shareholder value that created!*

*that quarter

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HalloKitty posted:

lol they would have totally sold "factory rated* 5GHz" 2500K if AMD had been competitive then

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
1.13Ghz PIII and its recall during the Athlon era comes to mind here.

Intel has done some great products over the years but when they get cocky or get some real competition from AMD every now and again they start pushing things making mistakes like anyone else does.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bofast posted:

You could get some of the info from here: https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/31/intel_earnings_analysis/

Charlie at Semiaccurate also has some more details behind the paywall of this article: https://semiaccurate.com/2018/08/02/intel-guts-10nm-to-get-it-out-the-door/, but just to generalize Krzanich talked in early 2018 about getting spending down and one of their major issues back then was that this was silently achieved by significantly lowering the amount of engineers working on parts of their already disastrous manufacturing processes.

Cue key problems being harder/slower to solve because of a lack of manpower, skilled employees quitting, low morale and general misery.

BK was a terrible leader who was simultaneously a bully and unwilling to hold the right people accountable for failure to deliver. Combined with Bob Swan min/maxing for the upcoming quarter both during his time as CFO under BK and as CEO they squandered years-long leads on R&D

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's no way you've forgotten about the pre-Zen x86 CPU market this quickly. I refuse to believe it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Intel has repeatedly made the excuse for cuts and layoffs that they spend more on it than anybody else in the industry.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Potato Salad posted:

There's no way you've forgotten about the pre-Zen x86 CPU market this quickly. I refuse to believe it.

What? You mean endless quad-cores with minor improvements year after year until Zen came along wasn't good enough?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Any recommendations for a z790 mobo and ddr5 ram (64gb) to use with 14700k?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sorbus posted:

Any recommendations for a z790 mobo and ddr5 ram (64gb) to use with 14700k?

I believe the general recommendation is the cheapest one you can find.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Kibner posted:

I believe the general recommendation is the cheapest one you can find.

I am going to OC so that seems not so good idea. I’ll probably get a z790 taichi lite

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sorbus posted:

I am going to OC so that seems not so good idea. I’ll probably get a z790 taichi lite

Generally not worth it to OC with the modern chips unless you are just doing it for funsies. You get more performance from undervolting than overclocking. Also, if you are wanting to OC the memory, the memory controllers are on the CPUs now and not the motherboard. Z790s are generally all going to be overbuilt for anything short of liquid-nitrogen-based overclocking.

When looking at motherboards for non-extreme overclocking, you are mostly wanting to look to make sure they have the features you want (which is usually related to on-board audio/wi-fi/bluetooth, output ports, pcie slots, and m.2 slots) and maybe what the BIOS software exposes to you that you can tweak.

Check the motherboard memory compatibility section on the website for their memory QVL list. That way, you will more or less be guaranteed to find supported memory in the configuration you want. You will want 2x32GB as there can be issues with 4x16GB.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah I build custom water cooling loops as a hobby so oc just for fun is also something I do :)

I don’t need wifi or audio stuff, taichi lite seems to have 3x m2 and 8x sata which is good as my other hobby is photographing birds and there’s never too much ssd space for birb raws.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sorbus posted:

Yeah I build custom water cooling loops as a hobby so oc just for fun is also something I do :)

I don’t need wifi or audio stuff, taichi lite seems to have 3x m2 and 8x sata which is good as my other hobby is photographing birds and there’s never too much ssd space for birb raws.

Sweet. Sorry I wasn't more help!

Definitely look into undervolting if you haven't! It can be tricky to get stable, but it basically has the cpu use less power at a given clockspeed which then produces less heat which lets the chip's internal boosting algorithm boost itself to higher clockspeeds for longer periods of time.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Kibner posted:

Sweet. Sorry I wasn't more help!

Definitely look into undervolting if you haven't! It can be tricky to get stable, but it basically has the cpu use less power at a given clockspeed which then produces less heat which lets the chip's internal boosting algorithm boost itself to higher clockspeeds for longer periods of time.

Undervolting is familiar from gpu things, my current cpu is a 9700k so I am bit out of the loop with current cpu and ram tweak trends.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bofast posted:

any employee/ex-employee you talk to can give you a mountain of different reasons why they failed. probably easier to just say bad leadership from top to bottom and the same general politics and bureaucracy that destroys most large corporations

intc is in the crapper again and it's fun to remember that the paycut employees took was restored via RSUs which have since dropped in value

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

seems we are getting CAMM motherboards, wonder if it'll catch on

pros: higher speeds, cons: probably won't scale to the same capacities as DIMMs

https://x.com/msigaming/status/1793628162334621754

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

repiv posted:

seems we are getting CAMM motherboards, wonder if it'll catch on

https://x.com/msigaming/status/1793628162334621754

Wonder if you could have itx boards with CAMM modules on the back of the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

It's a problem if you want to add more RAM down the line, but the standard allows for very beefy modules:

That image is from this document: https://www.jedec.org/sites/default/files/Tom_Schnell_FINAL_%202024-05-03.pdf

I'm all for it if it means higher mem clocks and lower timings.