Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Who the hell replaces their military commander AFTER starting a new offensive. I can understand completely doing it at the end of a failed one, or before a new one, or even during one that's failing, but doing it a day INTO the offensive makes no sense whatsoever.

The new guy won't know anything and will take time to catch up. The lower level guys don't know what the new guy wants and don't know how to put his ideas into practice.

This is a May 1940 France High Command failure inducing level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
In what crisis scenario was bringing in an accountant ever a good thing unless the organization was liquidating?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Minister is not a military commander, he was appointed to ensure steady production of new materiel to be destroyed or flown into apartment buildings and steady flow of meat into meat assaults, but now with 0.01% less corruption than under Shoigu.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saw a headline somewhere that Putin is replacing Shoigu with a civilian. As far as I know Shoigu never served?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Saw a headline somewhere that Putin is replacing Shoigu with a civilian. As far as I know Shoigu never served?

Correct. Shoigu was a LARPer.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yup, Shoigu never served in the military. He got into the government by buttering up Yeltsin, while coming from a similar background and thus earning some of Yeltsin's trust and then ingratiating himself with monke to get higher positions, until he was appointed minister of Defense.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tbf none of them have really served anyway

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

Tbf none of them have really served anyway

And the new guy was both the Prime Minister and Presidential Economic Assistant/Minister of Economic Development, and based on how....well....the Russian economy has done, I doubt he's a miracle worker.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1789988698097868971

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CommieGIR posted:

And the new guy was both the Prime Minister and Presidential Economic Assistant/Minister of Economic Development, and based on how....well....the Russian economy has done, I doubt he's a miracle worker.

Maybe he's good at Microsoft Excel?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Oh he's not an economist?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh he's not an economist?

More likely he's a bullshit artist, although he does have a background in mathematics as a researcher.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

More likely he's a bullshit artist.

Ah so he IS an economist.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

When your wife forces you to come shopping with her. You looked at a hundred artillery shells, just pick one! I don't even think we need this!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

More death cult things.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

zone posted:

More death cult things.

Good news comrade, when all is lost, just kill yourself to avoid shame and prison.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

zone posted:

More death cult things.

I love that this reads as: "Good job fighting for the motherland, you are heroes and your family loves you... But don't even THINK about surrendering!"

Like... Maybe a better transition between topics would make it seem less like surrender is epidemic in the ranks?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

lol at russia getting their own Robert McNamara

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

He learned to make decent CGI videos of, I dont know, russian space lasers firing at Washington or something. He used to be an inoffensive minister for emergency situations and got promoted to MOD for, probably his inoffensiveness and lack of ambition. Also probably because he isn't russian.

If putin has friends, Shoigu is his only friend. It is known that they spend vacations together in Siberian forests, this part is officially confirmed. From here it varies wildly, there are rumors that Shoigu introduced shamans to putin, who perform magic rituals and that they both bathe in deer blood to rejuvenate their aging bodies.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sekenr posted:

If putin has friends, Shoigu is his only friend. It is known that they spend vacations together in Siberian forests, this part is officially confirmed. From here it varies wildly, there are rumors that Shoigu introduced shamans to putin, who perform magic rituals and that they both bathe in deer blood to rejuvenate their aging bodies.

Dear Bylathouse, I never thought this would happen to me, but

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sekenr posted:

He learned to make decent CGI videos of, I dont know, russian space lasers firing at Washington or something. He used to be an inoffensive minister for emergency situations and got promoted to MOD for, probably his inoffensiveness and lack of ambition. Also probably because he isn't russian.

That contradicts a lot of what I'm seeing about this guy being a loyalist and candidate for Putin's successor. I think it really is the case that logistics and materiel with define this war and he needs to a) pay for it in light of a dented (but not as damaged as hoped) economy and b) attempt to shake out corruption. Depressingly, I think its Russia learning, but I hope they fail again.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Disco Pope posted:

That contradicts a lot of what I'm seeing about this guy being a loyalist and candidate for Putin's successor. I think it really is the case that logistics and materiel with define this war and he needs to a) pay for it in light of a dented (but not as damaged as hoped) economy and b) attempt to shake out corruption. Depressingly, I think its Russia learning, but I hope they fail again.

Sekenr's post was about Shoigu

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dwesa posted:

Sekenr's post was about Shoigu

Ah sorry, talking at cross-purposes there!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I literally not even once saw a thinkpiece who would name Shoigu putin's successor. Nor would I think of him this way.
The prime minister Mishustin is an interesting character. He is never in the news, never once spoke about the war, meaning he could later claim he was secretly against it the whole time. A good compromise candidate that even liberals would accept.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Sekenr posted:

I literally not even once saw a thinkpiece who would name Shoigu putin's successor.
Which is part of the reasons why he kept his post for so long - he was a safe pair of hands from Putin's perspective.

He may be relatively inept and allowed corruption to flourish... But so what? He's slavishly loyal, keeps a low profile and and nobody at all considers him to have any political future outside of Putin's patronage. So he's never going to be a political threat - he has neither the ability or motive to try to use the institutions he controls to grab power.

Who cares about job performance (ie: corruption and Russian casualty numbers) when you can have regime stability.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sekenr posted:

I literally not even once saw a thinkpiece who would name Shoigu putin's successor. Nor would I think of him this way.
The prime minister Mishustin is an interesting character. He is never in the news, never once spoke about the war, meaning he could later claim he was secretly against it the whole time. A good compromise candidate that even liberals would accept.

Yeah, sorry, there was confusion on my part and we were talking at cross purposes.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 13, 2024

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1790046494986252492

quote:

🇪🇸🇺🇦 "Spain is preparing a new package of military aid to Ukraine", - El Pais.

❗️The package will include:
▪️large caliber artillery ammunition, light and heavy machine guns;
▪️protected wheeled logistics vehicles;
▪️Infantry fighting vehicles, anti-tank weapons and artillery shells;
▪️The first 10 battle tanks from the batch of renewable Leopard 2 A4;
▪️anti-aircraft surveillance systems and remote weapon stations for protection against drones.
:toot:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
E: nm

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Sustainable Leopards 2 A4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zone posted:

More death cult things.

Has defection been a problem for Russia in this war?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Has defection been a problem for Russia in this war?

....uh, yes?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not nearly enough per any sensible metric

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Except bizarritude. Can't reasonably ask for more than priggy boom boom provided on that front.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

....uh, yes?

Really? It’s very strange for an army that’s advancing, now advancing on multiple fronts even, to have a problem with defection.

And with this war having such a huge presence on social media, you’d think if there were a lot of defectors a certain percentage of them would become like defector influencers. You’d think it would be pretty easy to turn being a defector into a media career. Which is not something I’ve seen but I did give up Twitter a few months ago so it’s very possible I’ve just missed it.

And that flyer suggests that Russia is worried about a whole regiment defecting. Which, once again, is very strange for an army that’s winning. And if that is the sort of thing that’s happening, I feel like it would have been big news.

I dunno, the flyer just seems fake to me.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

lol :byetankie:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hows it hanging, russian turtle tank?

yeah...

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
The mother of all bed frames, dear god

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Gripweed posted:

Really? It’s very strange for an army that’s advancing, now advancing on multiple fronts even, to have a problem with defection.

They're advancing tiny distances through appallingly costly human wave attacks, I don't find that strange at all. I know I'd be looking for a way out that didn't include charging a machine gun over open terrain without armor.

Gripweed posted:

And that flyer suggests that Russia is worried about a whole regiment defecting. Which, once again, is very strange for an army that’s winning. And if that is the sort of thing that’s happening, I feel like it would have been big news.

I don't know where you're getting that. Granted I can't read the original but it's addressed to the individual serviceman in the translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tiaz posted:

They're advancing tiny distances through appallingly costly human wave attacks, I don't find that strange at all. I know I'd be looking for a way out that didn't include charging a machine gun over open terrain without armor.

People keep saying Russia is using human wave attacks but every actual description of Russian infantry tactics in this war I’ve heard is usually something like “they send small groups across a broad front and pull back where they meet heavy resistance and reinforce the attacks where they meet light resistance”. Which isn’t a human wave attack. So I have doubts as to have much Russia really is using human wave attacks.

tiaz posted:

I don't know where you're getting that. Granted I can't read the original but it's addressed to the individual serviceman in the translation.

I’m getting it from the second line of the translation, which reads “394 Motor Rifle Regiment of the RF armed forces”