Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Can anyone confirm that the Hierotek Circle box can build 5 regular-rear end Immortals? That's my understanding of it but I just can't confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

This set includes a Cryptek Technomancer to lead their minions, a Plasmacyte Accelerator and Reanimator to enhance and repair the Circle's fighters, and five Necron soldiers which can be built as sniping Deathmarks or relentless Immortals – the kit also includes components to upgrade one Immortal into a disciplined Despotek enforcer, and another into an arcane Apprentek assistant.

Deathmarks and Immortals are a two in one kit so yeah you should be good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

That's what I thought but I just wasn't sure enough/overthinking it entirely.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

Just bumping this cause I don't know anything about building Necron lists but want to know you're seen, friend

I'd consider doubling up on the Doomstalker as insurance, but I'm also not sure what I would cut to do that, so I think it is a decent list

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Eej posted:

Deathmarks and Immortals are a two in one kit so yeah you should be good.

Hobby tip, the only cross used pieces are the legs and chest plates, so it's one of the few GW kits I found worthwhile to use bluestuff to cast those bits and get 5 of both. The chest plate copies don't even need good fidelity because the death mark guns cover them.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nessus posted:

You could even do a little graphical theme thing for Ork takeover. Hell, you could probably do a monthly event for every faction. Unsure who gets Christmas. Sororitas? Mechanicus?

chaosmas

(it's the red gobbo, let's be serious)

anyway enough about that, it's the effortpost i came here to make.

the CSM codex has entered preview season (and has also leaked if you are the :filez: type). the good parts are very strong and fairly well-designed, with several detachments buffing existing playstyles and at least a couple of interesting choices with new-ish playstyles, and a positive fundamental rethink of a couple negative-play-experience units in accursed cultists and warp talons. the main place this new codex lets things down is in the datasheets, where lots of jank is left untouched from the beginning of the edition, and most changes were for the worse. i am hopeful but a bit queasy.

the big thing though is that even after the nerfs, the index detachment (renamed from slaves to darkness to packbound zealots) is still silly good. 5+ crits are good, RRW is good, adv+shoot+charge is good, a CP a turn on basically 3+ is good, stealth on demand is good. it got nerfed again: no more armor of contempt for chaos lords to use, abaddon doesn't have five marks any more, no mark benefits if you fail the LD test. i don't love more nerfs, but maybe it means the points nerf on chaos lords gets walked back now that they are triple nerfed? (prob not though.)

anyway the curve is set pretty high. a new detachment has to do at least as PBZ for the units in your army list.

renegade raiders was the one people were excited about from GW preview and it seems like RR is the strongest competitor with PBZ for an all-rounder detachment. assault and -1 AP on everyone (most of the time) are good! the advance-and-charge strat comes with +1" to charge most of the time! RRH and RRW on a disembarking unit! an end of fighting bonus move that can reembark! 1CP AOC! scout on an enhancement! a less-reliable CP enhancement that you'd want to run on a non-warpsmith!

RR also does more for chaos marine units with fixed chaos marks than RBZ. flamer rubrics never got dark pact anyway, and lords of skulls did not care about lethal hits on a 5+ very much. noise marines already had assault weapons but maybe get a little less marginal.

RR is full of good poo poo and slots neatly into the gameplan of existing CSM pressure builds with lots of jerks in transports. assault also means a unit can advance and do mission actions as long as it has a gun (which was something i underrated earlier). i guess you need to shoot teleport homers into position? cleanse objectives with bullets but not claws? :iiam: anyway one of PBZ or RR is the default choice now, and PBZ means you don't have to pick a chaos mark for every gd unit.

PBZ and RR are The Good Ones. there's like three more okay generalist ones, one possibly good gimmick in SFWP, and two bad ones. you can just stop reading here if you only care about minmaxing and you don't own three or more forgefiends.

veterans of the long war is Frosted Space Marines (of chaos) and pretty cool? you get oath of moment but with a frowny face attached, and armor of contempt, phantasm for infantry/mounted, and ignores cover (which also bumps torrent weapons to auto-6 hits which is funny but not strictly useful even on plague marines). also there's a goofy adv/FB+shoot strat that gives the unit DW on basic bolt weapons. also some mildly interesting herohammer enhancements.

contrary to initial appearances, this all adds up to make VOTLW the boring shooting detachment. it has a bunch of goofy poo poo that appears to be focused on buffing infantry but it's all like "simple powerful important effect combined with goofy weak bizarre effect that takes up a million words and wouldn't be good even if you could somehow wring the maximum result from it consistently, which you can't." when you strip away the gimmicks, it's just a pile of generically useful tools for a gunline with maybe one counterpunch unit. even then, this is worth taking if and only if you can get more mileage out of oath of moment than 5+ crits or -1 AP against stuff on objectives. i don't think you will!

deceptors is another one where they previewed the important stuff on warhammer-community. you can infiltrate 0-3 legionaries and 0-3 cultist mobs, including any generic characters attached to them. legionaries are good as hell! cultist mobs... don't cost very much! that's pretty damned cool!

the problem is that CSM is not a board control army and you're giving up a ton of offensive juice to make your alpha legion dreams come true. this detachment isn't one-dimensional: you get phantasm, an enhancement to give an infantry character lone op (cool on a winglord or term sorc), another to give one -1 AP and precision, a pretty flexible RRH when shooting strat, and a strat blocking deep strikers from 12". you also get some funny but marginal toys like automatically blowing up a deadly demise unit, letting a chaos lord warp in by ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL, or swapping special rules among generic infantry characters. but you are giving a shitload of offense to be an offensive dick.

fellhammer siege host is a different kind of annoying. they are the defensive detachment, with -1 to wound on basically everything as long as the attacker has greater S than the target's T. they have a 5+ FNP strat, and -2 to a unit's charge, and responding to a charge with the grenades strat, and RRH (and maybe W) in melee but only with a unit that has already been attacked this turn.

FHSH basically exists to troll the absolute poo poo out of anyone who calculates the results before they do something. this is, imo, very funny, especially since i am that guy. but it has basically nothing going on offense-wise, and its defensive gimmick just shrugs and gives up against enemies who can RRW.

the rest of these just boost one very narrow type of unit. one of them might be good because forgefiends are good. the other two are probably not.

soulforged warhost is the demon engine detachment, and it gives demon engines +1 to wound when shooting and +2A in melee at the cost of -1LD on the dark pact test. (plus you can promote one vehicle to a demon engine permanently at setup with a strat.) that is bonkers silly good, especially since forgefiends love +1 to wound on hard targets and lords of skulls could really use more attacks on their strike for when sweep isn't appropriate. and like the silly busted iron hands SM detachment, this has some outstanding enhancements for warpsmiths like a 3" RRH aura and a 6+++ for a single vehicle. it also has some outstanding strats, like -1 AP on your attacks, move through terrain like it isn't there, and a cool-rear end healing strat. also there is a kinda bad enhancement for a warpsmith that turns him into a spider and that's pretty cool.

however. if it isn't a demon engine, this detachment does approximately gently caress all for it. so that's, like, forgefiends, lords of skulls, and your one promoted tank, probably a land raider or vindicator. the rest of the demon engines are few and mostly bad. venomcrawlers (which got a harmless but annoying nerf to their ability) are usable as crunchy flankers but probably aren't better than pred destructors, warp talons, or raptors. maulerfiends finally start to look more appealing than wardogs do in CSM but aren't setting the world on fire. defilers are still a joke unit (even with a funny buff that lets them use the counter-offensive strat for free. do not pursue defi-lu bu!) heldrakes will never be usable due to the witch's curse, and disco lords, hilariously, are no longer vehicles so they do not benefit from this detachment in any way.

so like, do you want a gunline where forgefiends do all the work? i guess SFWH can do that, but i think that list might still be better off in PBZ or RR. do you want to live your lord of skulls dreams in CSM instead of world eaters or just playing chaos knights? yeah okay SFWH might do it for you.

chaos cult is pretty bad. all of the chaos stuff that isn't a marine or giant demonic thing now has a shared keyword, DAMNED. that is a pretty metal keyword but the problem is that all of these units except for accursed cultists (which traded out their healing for Scouts 6") can't really do anything except sit on an objective. and since cultist mobs are the cheapest and get sticky objectives, the others aren't even good for that. chaos cult gives all of the DAMNED the ability to dark pact in the movement and charge phases for +2" to each. for accursed cultists, who still rip poo poo in melee when they get there? HELL yeah. for everyone else? i guess it's good for getting cultists onto objectives?

so this is pretty much just a detachment for accused cultists. the enhancements are all oriented towards attaching a character to accused cultists. there's strats for RRH/RRW, to trade d3 wounds for +1A and +1 to wound in melee, and adv+charge with a DAMNED unit, so you're basically always going to use those on accursed cultists and will never have CP for anything else, like -1 AP to a DAMNED unit's shooting or a very weird strat that lets your DAMNED unit bodyguard for anything at the cost of allocating wounds like an AOS unit.

do you have the desire to push 48 accursed cultists across the board? are you okay if they're very likely to do about 3 MW per unit to themselves a turn? how about if literally no units benefit from your detachment whatsoever? if yes to all three, chaos cult is there for you. but it isn't the worst detachment in the book

if you thought the cleverly-designed night lords kill team and the actually interesting rules for terrorizing enemies in nighthaunt were a good omen for the night lords detachment in 40K, prepare to be disappointed. dread talons get the stupid-assed chaos knights detachment, complete with -1 LD mod and stupid bullshit strats and enhancements that cause battleshock tests or work on battleshocked units. there are two cool rules here: the enhancement that lets a jump lord and his raptors bounce back into reserves, and a 3" no-charge deep strike that you can't use on terminators for some loving reason. these rules don't make raptors not mediocre, especially since warp talons can inherently do the former anyway! (a new buff to the unit!) this detachment is in the running for worst in the entire game, and somehow even manages to avoid doing anything useful for warp talons. WE ARE PHONING IT IN FOR YOU.

btw bad news for people who like demons. there's no detachment for demonkin in general. most non-vehicle demon units caught nerfs, and in such a way that the units aren't more interesting, but just pointlessly weaker.

i think RR and the old detachment have the most tryhard play, with maaaaaaybe SFWH breaking out if there's ever a points patch where there's a third viable demon engine. deceptors and FHSH look reasonable for a certain type of player brain and build but i don't think they play to CSM strengths. VOTLW is a hard call for me; it's less flexible than RR and PBZ and i think it's worse, but it's a boring detachment pretending to be a goofy one and i always underrate boring-but-solid and overrate goofy crap and i don't know which i'm doing here. CC is a stupid skew list and DT are another bad night lords ruleset to the shock of absolutely nobody.

new units:

the cultist firebrand is the flamer cultist from blackstone fortress. he can join cultist mobs or ACs and doesn't do anything that matters.

the chaos lord with jump pack is a chaos lord who flies, and trades out moment of glory for 6" pile-in/consolidate. his good loadout is a power fist and plasma pistol, because the dual lightning claws are still D1. (pretty much every weapon option for a character that is not at least AP -2 and D2 is still useless, and no characters got any buffs in this regard.) he only joins raptors, too. he does have grenades, which raptors do not, and that's p cool.

unit buffs and nerfs that i didn't already mention:

abaddon can join chosen now but not legionaries, only has undivided instead of all five marks (which makes him a lot worse in PBZ), and his auras don't work on DAMNED any more, ruining a funny skew army. putting him in chosen is nice but you lost a lot of the reason you wanted to in the first place.

accursed cultists scout 6" and lurch toward the nearest enemy d6" every time a unit finishes shooting at them. however, they lost their command phase healing. overall a probably positive change for the game.

bikes traded going into reserves for a useless and stupid melee buff that makes them more like raptors for no good reason.

chaos lords (with power armor on foot) can't take bolt pistols or a power fist/plasma pistol loadout any more. between this and the removal of the exalted champion datasheet, there's a lot of old chaos lord/champion models who no longer have a valid datasheet. harmless but mildly irritating.

chaos spawn don't heal and get OC0, but have a -1 OC aura. inexplicable but nobody was taking these guys anyway.

cultist mobs lost all of their shooting options except bolt pistols. not even autoguns any more. the flamer guy got turned into a useless character though.

cypher now does his thing to all opponent's (battle tactic) strats that target a unit from their own army within 12" of him. so basically his old ability got blanked. real fuckin' tiring that he gets a nerf after the demon lone op nerf. every army that gets a lone op can take 2-3 better lone ops than this guy. this is way more annoying to me than it should be because it doesn't matter and also because GW is going to cut his price to a more appropriate 65 or something and make me look stupid. at least his melee attacks are now shooting enemies in the face with his pistols.

did you know you used to be able to take an undivided demon prince? you didn't want to, but it was possible. now you can't. these guys are still bad btw, and they aren't eligible for most of the cool-rear end herohammer enhancements. wing DP is probably still only semi-viable in PBZ, and foot DP is still useless.

fabius bile can go in accursed cultists and cultist mobs. he costs more than a DC and does arguably less (and locks them into undivided for PBZ), but fabius+AC fits in a rhino i suppose.

fellgors lost scout and +2" on charge but come out of reserves on T1. not shocking since ACs got scout and the chaos cult detachment gives +2" to charge, but this is a nerf to a cool-looking unit that is just dogshit. these guys still need a new datasheet.

helbrutes get +2A if they have two melee weapons. i would not actually do this because they still move 6" but buffs to offmeta options are never bad.

if you make a mini-cypher by giving the champion of a legionary unit a plasma pistol and bolt pistol (so he can shoot both), he no longer gets a free chainsword. this was never better than giving him a heavy melee but it was funny.

the noctilith crown doesn't give invulns any more. GW does not like the 4++ cultist swarm army it seems.

obliterators using deep strike are now trivial to screen away from vehicles/monsters because their melta profile has 18" range. they also only come in units of 2 now. their datasheet is still good but it's not 180 points good. RR gives these guys some movement back but they probably need price cuts before they're worth looking at again.

possessed can only get DW once a game and masters of possession lost their 6+++ to their unit. why? who was calling for this? possessed were already a really mediocre unit people mainly played because the models were cool.

traitor enforcers can kill a guy to make the unit fire overwatch instead of use insane bravery. cool buff but you're still never taking these guys.

traitor guard can't take duplicate special weapons because that's not what's in the box. fine, but they still can't take a plasma pistol on the sgt or melee weapons on anyone but the sgt even though those are indeed in the box. annoying.

vashtorr got a bunch of random numeric buffs. he's not, like, a powerhouse unless he gets a huge cost cut but now he can actually do things.

venomcrawlers don't get extra attacks from killing enemies with their guns, just from killing a unit in melee. this ability didn't matter but now it's even more blank.

warp talons lost their ability to force desperate breakout tests but can now hop back to reserves at the end of the fight phase if they were eligible to fight this phase. i think this means they had to be in melee at one point? cool ability but weird phrasing.

stuff that shockingly didn't change:

terminator lords didn't get hammers, or a new model. I guess that art from the cover of deathwing assault didn't mean anything!

huron blackheart is still here, making him the only finecast model in a codex so far as i am aware. (he still isn't actually on sale, ofc.)

legionaries did not get cut down to the models in their box, despite the fact that you still cannot buy chaos reaper autocannon or lascannon guys on 32mm bases from GW at all. they also did not get any new weapon options from the release of the nemesis claw kill team but i don't think that's a shocker any more. their datasheet ability is still called veterans of the long war, lol

even though there's now a keyword for non-space marine CSM units, chaos rhinos and land raiders can still help your various cultist and traitor guard goobers find and reach their destination after many editions of searching.

taking all the datasheet changes as a whole, i'm disappointed. warp talons and accused cultists got redesigned in a fundamentally healthier way, but there are a lot of datasheets that needed some small tweaks to make their alternate loadouts worth looking at, or a minor problem that holds them back from viability. chaos lords only run hammer or fist because the other options don't have AP -2 or D2, and it would not have been OP to bump up the lagging weapons at least to that level. (likewise for every non-DAMNED character stuck on AP -1 tbh.) fabius bile and dark apostles are still hampered by their goofy helpers taking up transport slots. legionaries still come with boltguns by default despite the fact that they're useless, and half of their datasheet is heavy weapon options that aren't in their boxed set and/or aren't worth taking ever. demon princes are still vanity/style pieces when GW clearly knows how to make worthwhile monster datasheets. bikers got changed to be more like raptors when that was always their problem. cypher is now even more of an inert home objective sitter.

and there are so many units that fundamentally do not serve any purpose. foot DPs, havocs, heldrakes, and (power armor) sorcerers are all fundamentally useless and stupid units with no role in any army, and now firebrands and noctilith crowns join them. chaos spawn, disco lords, and fellgor beastmen, and traitor enforcers got tweaked but not in a way that addressed the fact that they don't fit into 40K 10e at all. it's annoying that none of these got looked at in our once-per-edition chance to get these units fixed up into something you'd want to play. we already have the models, GW!

anyway idk if anyone read all of this but i come away with mixed feelings. enough of the new detachments are cool that i do want to explore them. and worst-case, RR is just the same old playstyle without all the paperwork of tracking chaos marks. that's going to make a lot more of a difference than all of the things that are bad about this book. pagechewing filler that i already owned does not meaningfully impair my actual game experience, now that we have somewhat-modern army building and management tools for smartphones. but man, is there a lot of pagechewing filler.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 13, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

don't lie, you of all people are gonna read it all

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Deceptors is going to be very good in Team play where you can pick and choose your matchup and just deny the poo poo out of the entire board against armies that can't handle it. Yeah any horde list can do it but now CSM has that option.

Soulforged lets you Tokyo Drift a Daemon Land Raider through multiple buildings, sliding past your Rapid Inserted Vashtorr and disgorging Legionaires onto a point before dunking a loyalist Land Raider with Lascannons wounding on 2+. It's too funny to not do at least once.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

traitor guard can't take duplicate special weapons because that's not what's in the box. fine, but they still can't take a plasma pistol on the sgt or melee weapons on anyone but the sgt even though those are indeed in the box. annoying.
This also applies to regular guard, it's just that guard still have profiles that cover legacy models in the index.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

Deceptors is going to be very good in Team play where you can pick and choose your matchup and just deny the poo poo out of the entire board against armies that can't handle it. Yeah any horde list can do it but now CSM has that option.

Soulforged lets you Tokyo Drift a Daemon Land Raider through multiple buildings, sliding past your Rapid Inserted Vashtorr and disgorging Legionaires onto a point before dunking a loyalist Land Raider with Lascannons wounding on 2+. It's too funny to not do at least once.

i don't think "suprise, mfers, i am playing stat check board control bullcrap" is going to blow any minds and it was already a thing CSM could do, because of the long legs on AC/DCs, but generally did not. i don't know how often deceptors CSM are going to be competitive with the five other armies who do that and the three or four others who dabble in it, though. cultist mobs literally cannot do anything and legionaries are very bad at receiving a charge. they do have a hilarious matchup into hypercrypt or grey knights or chaos demons or any other future teleporter army though.

vashtorr still does basically nothing for demon engines! his stats are not longer embarrassing but he still only gives +1S to demon vehicles' weapons. it's another weird janky miss held over from the index.

Lostconfused posted:

[Not being able to take what's on the sprue on your traitor guard sgt] also applies to regular guard, it's just that guard still have profiles that cover legacy models in the index.

???

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 13, 2024

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd consider doubling up on the Doomstalker as insurance, but I'm also not sure what I would cut to do that, so I think it is a decent list

Yeah, this was my thought process. Going to test it out this weekend, see how it runs. Also, I only have one Doomstalker at the moment.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

rantmo posted:

Can anyone confirm that the Hierotek Circle box can build 5 regular-rear end Immortals? That's my understanding of it but I just can't confirm it.

I had the same question a while back and it took me forever to find out, since most guides say to use Immortals and to leave the Deathmarks (except maybe one to suicide sniper T1) at home

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cease to Hope posted:

vashtorr still does basically nothing for demon engines! his stats are not longer embarrassing but he still only gives +1S to demon vehicles' weapons. it's another weird janky miss held over from the index.

He buffs Land Raiders and Predator Destructors now (with 1 CP), hell yeah!!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/13/there-are-two-huge-warhammer-preview-shows-this-week/

Is that an Enslaver???

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

It's over, it's done, the end is begun.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So is custdoes the only practical elite infantry army in the game? Otherwise you need to bring a lot of tanks or monsters if you want to keep the model count down? Or the alternative to having to use movement trays is giving everything a dedicated transport, which goes back to bringing more tanks.

Knights don't count, they're not a real army because it seems like they get a lot of complaints, kind of like custdoes I guess.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the cadian and catachan boxed sets do not have a plasma pistol for the sgt, while the traitor guard and DKOK boxed sets do.

traitor guard used to be able to take three special weapons, two of which were the same. now all three have to be different, a nerf to an already-weak unit, presumably because there is only one of each gun in their boxed set. this is annoying to me because the boxed set has a plasma pistol for the sgt and a variety of melee weapons and specialist gear (medkits, comms, etc.), none of which can be taken as options in 40K. that's a real shame, especially since this is such a marginal, one-dimensional unit.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is that an Enslaver???

yeah

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

the cadian and catachan boxed sets do not have a plasma pistol for the sgt, while the traitor guard and DKOK boxed sets do.

traitor guard used to be able to take three special weapons, two of which were the same. now all three have to be different, a nerf to an already-weak unit, presumably because there is only one of each gun in their boxed set. this is annoying to me because the boxed set has a plasma pistol for the sgt and a variety of melee weapons and specialist gear (medkits, comms, etc.), none of which can be taken as options in 40K. that's a real shame, especially since this is such a marginal, one-dimensional unit.

Oh ok then the same thing applies to the Kaskrin killteam box because you can't take some of the weapon options for the sergeant despite them being a build option for kill team, or the medic. And the Veteran Guardsmen don't have enough parts to build all the weapon options despite them being valid in the rules.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's an Enslaver or something Delaque related, possibly both!

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 13, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is this enslaver thing necromunda related? What is it?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

"Call them what you will — Krell, Psyrens or Enslavers. Just one witch, unsanctioned, caused the destruction of Hive Skorpios when one of those things used her brain as a gateway to this world. Within three days the entire hive’s population was reduced to drooling mindslaves. Within three weeks an entire continent was at war. And all because the governor thought his family should be exempt from the psyker cull and refused to give his daughter to the Black Ships."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s a type of warp entity that used to be a more major part of the setting but has sort of faded into the background. Basically it’s a warp parasite that mind controls someone and mutates their body into a living gateway that more enslavers can come out of, who mind control more people, etc. sort of like a grey goo/von Neumann machine but with more body horrors. In previous lore they were such a destructive plague that the Necrons went into hibernation to wait them out as they destroyed most of the galaxy, but that has been superseded. They’re still very scary and not at all good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Enslavers are aliens that live in the immaterium and mind control unprotected psykers to turn them into warp portals to mind control other people. They are very nasty.

efb

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Are they chaos demons? Aligned with chaos?!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

Nope! They're a xenos native to the warp, and that's all that's known.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They're their own horrible thing, unrelated to Chaos.

Also a consistent bet on what happened to a missing Legion.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

No, they're something weirder and older, another by-product of the War In Heaven (maybe). More cosmic-horror than daemons tend to be.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

There's so little known about Enslavers that you can throw any theory you want at them.

For example; If the chaos gods/daemons live in the warp shallows, I like to think the Enslavers are native to the depths.

I wonder what they do to daemons?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Daemons are clearly their equivalent to fast food, while psykers are more akin to fine dining.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

The Demilich posted:

There's so little known about Enslavers that you can throw any theory you want at them.

For example; If the chaos gods/daemons live in the warp shallows, I like to think the Enslavers are native to the depths.

I wonder what they do to daemons?

I wonder what they do to Tyranids. :cthulhu:

What I can't figure out is how you make an army out of these things, unless you use their presence to turn an army into an Enslaver army with extra mechanics. Tying them to the CSM is like trying to use the Flood as Pokemon.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Gearhead posted:

What I can't figure out is how you make an army out of these things, unless you use their presence to turn an army into an Enslaver army with extra mechanics. Tying them to the CSM is like trying to use the Flood as Pokemon.

Please be a new Court of the Archon.

'gently caress you-Enslaver bomb!'

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I gotta say its kinda wierd i dont know what sort of niche these enslavers can cover, the tyranids have the all consuming bio-horror thing on lock while chaos hs a bunch of body horror mutations they can count on, i dont know where these guys can fit.

My bet is that this unit is a one-off for necromunda, a kind of 'oh poo poo' monster thats roaming the depth of the hive

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Might be a good fit for Delaque, or could be a gimmick add to a 40k army which to make it an Enslaver force. Kill Team and 30k probably wouldn't have much use for them.

Whatever they do, I'm excited to find out.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

In previous lore they were such a destructive plague that the Necrons went into hibernation to wait them out as they destroyed most of the galaxy, but that has been superseded. They’re still very scary and not at all good.

That’s the consistent feature of enslavers, that they’re really loving scary, even if their role in closing out the war in heaven has been superceded (although I think there were still fairly generic references to warp-spawned plagues around 8th ed).

They feature in some of the Forge World heresy background as well. It’s held up as a rare event that the Blood Angels and Space Wolves managed to stop a planet-wide outbreak without Exterminatus, and there was another example which took 3 primarchs to stop. I think this angle is because they’re OG warp monsters pre-dating a lot of chaos background, and as elder nerds the heresy writers want to emphasise their scariness.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Gearhead posted:

I wonder what they do to Tyranids. :cthulhu:

Honestly a super good question. It would depend on the nature of the Shadow in the Warp the Tyranids use

Darkness in the Blood posted:

Against all the laws that governed it, the empyrean lost its mutability. Blackness seeped from the rolling wall of shadow. The visions and images weakened, and then stopped altogether. There was a brief passage through warp space of a primordial calmness, smooth and bright as a moonlit pond, and then the flotilla plunged into the darkness. A new terror assailed Rhacelus. A vast, godlike mind turned its attention upon the ships, so puissant it quelled the fury of the warp. The hive mind was the truth of the tyranids. The Blood Angels believed the war beasts that plagued the universe were merely the material extrusion of something far greater, and that thing dwelt in the warp. The pressure of the hive mind’s regard was immense, crushing Rhacelus’ soul until it felt infinitely small. At great remove he felt blood trickle from the corners of his mortal eyes. Gold flashed ahead. Rhacelus fought to support the failing Navigators. With strength he could ill afford to share, he held them up, and directed their attention to the distant angel. The ships turned. Though the shadow in the warp blinded all eyes, its quelling of the tempest eased passage, if one only knew which way to go.

Codex Tyranids 8th ed posted:

The coming of a Tyranid hive fleet is preceded by a smothering psychic signal that envelops entire star systems and disrupts all forms of warp travel and communication. Swallowed up by psychic static, whole worlds suddenly go deathly silent, giving no clues as to what is unfolding on the surface below, or of what terrors are about to befall. This is the Shadow in the Warp, and it heralds imminent invasion and horror.

It is unknown if the Shadow in the Warp is created deliberately by the hive fleets, or if it is simply a byproduct of the Hive Mind’s innate synaptic control. In any case, the Shadow in the Warp creates fear and panic wherever it falls, instilling a pervasive dread into the minds of a prey world’s defenders, plunging entire planets into misery and despair. For highly psychic races, such as the Aeldari, or for luckless psykers caught within this enervating effect, the malaise is magnified tenfold. Should a psyker attempt to use his otherworldly abilities, the cerebral cacophony worsens even further; the psychic sound of a billion alien thoughts scratches at his mind, and unless he is particularly strong-willed he will be pitched into an insanity where he will repeatedly utter phrases in a tongue impossible to properly pronounce.

Where Hive Fleet Kronos travels, the Shadow in the Warp is at its most suffocatingly powerful. So strong is the psychic connection between Kronos and the Hive Mind, that a stifling aura of null power drifts ahead of its invasion swarms, agonising psychically active foes and draining their spirit energy to bolster its own hosts.

If the shadow fucks with psychic prowess in the material realm by calming the warp, and knowing the Enslavers are attracted to psychic emanations (up to 10 light years or according to the wiki/Lexicanum), then maybe enslavers would naturally avoid wherever Tyranids congregate because of the becalming effect as it showed there's no prey in the vicinity. At the same time though, it's described as psychic static from the swarm, and you'd think a constant blast of psychic white noise would actually attract more Enslavers if anything.

We have no idea about their lifespan, gestation process, or trajectory. We don't even know if they're solely a warp xenos. They could be birthed in the warp and then become a transdimensional sort of creature spanning multiple realms at once for all we know as they get older. Maybe the Hive Mind itself is an advanced Enslaver? In any case it's really interesting to think about how an Enslaver would interact with the GSC/Tyranids.

As for a lore accurate enslaver army:
1 to 3 Enslavers
1 flesh gate
Innumerable thralls

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Will there be primaris Grey Knights?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Enslavers feel like the kind of one off weirdo you add to a radical inquisitor's warbands similar to the Jokaero model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

a pale ghost posted:

Will there be primaris Grey Knights?

Whenever GW wants to make it happen. v:v:v Beyond that, who knows.