Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Biden should finish sending everyone $600 like he promised and legalize weed. I bet his poll numbers wouldn't go down if he did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Siena poll released today has 77 percent of 2020 Biden voters supporting him this year while 88 percent of 2020 Trump voters are supporting Trump this year.

I don't recall seeing any notable shift of 2020 Trump voters who are now supporting Biden this year; if anyone has seen such polling please share it, because I'd love to delve into it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Willa Rogers posted:

* Biden's campaign isn't as savvy at drawing voters as the Senate candidates' campaigns. I haven't seen that many Biden ads (especially not living in a swing state) but the ones I've seen online can't really do anything about him coming off as an old man & they are pretty tepid.

For those of you in swing states, what sorts of ads are you seeing for Biden & your senatorial candidate? (online or otherwise)

I have seen infinitely more Biden ads than Bob Casey ads here in PA. And the Biden ones are almost funny poking fun at his age

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Biden is preparing to greatly increase tariffs on Chinese electric cars, in response to accusations that the Chinese government is unfairly subsidizing their domestic EV makers and allowing them to undercut others worldwide.

quote:

The Biden administration is set to announce new tariffs as high as 100 percent on Chinese electric vehicles and additional import taxes on other Chinese goods, including semiconductors, as early as next week, according to people familiar with the matter.

The move comes amid growing concern within the administration that Mr. Biden’s efforts to jump-start domestic manufacturing of clean energy products could be undercut by China, which has been flooding global markets with cheap solar panels, batteries, electric vehicles and other products.

The long-awaited tariffs are the result of a four-year review of the levies that President Donald J. Trump imposed on more than $300 billion of Chinese imports in 2018. Most of the Trump tariffs are expected to remain in place, but Mr. Biden plans to go beyond those by raising levies in areas that the president showered with subsidies in the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act.

The EU is also preparing to do this. A lot of Chinese brands are not available in the US, but are available there, and they're massively popular and crowding out local manufacturers.

US EV adoption is stalling out, as a lot of people who were initially enthusiastic about EVs now have one and everyone else is hesitating over concerns about range, access to charging stations, and the fact that they still cost more than comparable ICE vehicles (especially since the tax credit for EV purchases applies to very few models at this point thanks to resource sourcing and manufacturing constraints.) And the leading US EV maker is still Tesla, which has its own set of unique problems

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

haveblue posted:

Biden is preparing to greatly increase tariffs on Chinese electric cars, in response to accusations that the Chinese government is unfairly subsidizing their domestic EV makers and allowing them to undercut others worldwide.

subsidizing green technologies? pure evil, shut it down.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have seen infinitely more Biden ads than Bob Casey ads here in PA. And the Biden ones are almost funny poking fun at his age

You mean that his campaign is "rolling with the punches" about his age? If so, that's probably wise.

I just came across this Lincoln Project ad that seems aimed toward 2020 Trump voters, but I don't know about the efficacy of framing them as "suckers" for having voted for him.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

haveblue posted:

US EV adoption is stalling out, as a lot of people who were initially enthusiastic about EVs now have one and everyone else is hesitating over concerns about range, access to charging stations, and the fact that they still cost more than comparable ICE vehicles (especially since the tax credit for EV purchases applies to very few models at this point thanks to resource sourcing and manufacturing constraints.) And the leading US EV maker is still Tesla, which has its own set of unique problems

It's a shame since those concerns have largely been solved.

Range is solved, 300 miles is about the same as a gas car (14ga * ~24 mpg). Plus you never have to take it to a gas station, just plug it in at home and you have a full "tank" every single day. So for people with access to a plug outdoors, it's actually better than gas cars.

Chargers are kind of valid, if you go on several 1000 mile road trips through the middle of nowhere without a cell phone per year. Otherwise that's already solved, too, and is only going to get easier.

Cost is still a real issue, but the median car price is about $50k and there are options at and below that price range. And plenty people spend a lot more than that.

I think the biggest problems for EV adoption are just outdated info and outright misinformation.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Range is solved, 300 miles is about the same as a gas car (14ga * ~24 mpg). Plus you never have to take it to a gas station, just plug it in at home and you have a full "tank" every single day. So it's actually better than gas cars.

Chargers are kind of valid, if you go on several 1000 mile road trips through the middle of nowhere without a cell phone per year. Otherwise that's already solved, too, and is only going to get easier.

Cost is still a real issue, but the median car price is about $50k and there are options at and below that price range. And plenty people spend a lot more than that.

I think the biggest problems for EV adoption are just outdated info and outright misinformation.

I ain't giving Elon a dime. The major manufacturers are kinda in a ugly design era, so I'll think about it once that changes a bit.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I ain't giving Elon a dime.

OK? Me either. My next car will probably be a Hyundai EV. There's a lot of good options and more every year.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ColdPie posted:

Range is solved, 300 miles is about the same as a gas car (14ga * ~24 mpg). Plus you never have to take it to a gas station, just plug it in at home and you have a full "tank" every single day. So for people with access to a plug outdoors, it's actually better than gas cars.

Charging remains an issue if you live in an apartment or other home without a garage. Those people can't just plug it in overnight.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nonsense posted:

I ain't giving Elon a dime. The major manufacturers are kinda in a ugly design era, so I'll think about it once that changes a bit.

Sadly, I think public planners were kind of leaning on Tesla a lot do help build out the necessary charging networks. Tesla has now cut back on the team supporting that and God knows if they're going to keep caring about non-sexy fundamentals given how Musk's thought process seems to work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On top of people not wanting to give Elon a dime, Tesla cars are stale designs with a lot of bizarre quirks and their new flagship vehicle is the IRL version of The Homer. But they seem to own the EV mindshare in the US and sell hundreds of thousands of the things while all the legacy automakers move four digits.

ColdPie posted:

OK? Me either. My next car will probably be a Hyundai EV. There's a lot of good options and more every year.

I will most likely never own a car of any kind (living in the heart of NYC does that to you) but if I were ever in a position to get one it would probably be a Hyundai EV too. I've seen a few around the neighborhood and they look really neat

Eric Cantonese posted:

Sadly, I think public planners were kind of leaning on Tesla a lot do help build out the necessary charging networks. Tesla has now cut back on the team supporting that and God knows if they're going to keep caring about non-sexy fundamentals given how Musk's thought process seems to work.

It's still absolutely insane to me that Tesla is killing the service they could easily turn into an eternal cash cow that sustains the entire company and lets Elon release whatever garbage passion projects he wants without staking the business on them. But then again I'm not a big brain tech genius billionaire

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Gyges posted:

Charging remains an issue if you live in an apartment or other home without a garage. Those people can't just plug it in overnight.

Yeah. Charging while you shop or work seems like it will be the answer there, but we're not all the way there yet. I do see new apartment buildings near me going up with fast chargers in their lots. It'll be interesting to see how the etiquette around that works out.

I couldn't find firm numbers on like SFH (I.e. with a plug at home) versus Multifamily Dwelling proportions, but about 1/3 of Americans are renters. That leaves a ballpark 2/3 who can charge at home. So that's a lot of people who don't have that issue.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Yeah. Charging while you shop or work seems like it will be the answer there, but we're not all the way there yet. I do see new apartment buildings near me going up with fast chargers in their lots. It'll be interesting to see how the etiquette around that works out.

I couldn't find firm numbers on like SFH (I.e. with a plug at home) versus Multifamily Dwelling proportions, but about 1/3 of Americans are renters. That leaves a ballpark 2/3 who can charge at home. So that's a lot of people who don't have that issue.

I don't know the exact mechanics of it, but how often do people need to upgrade their electrical wiring to support charging an EV?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ColdPie posted:

How many of those 2/3 own condos or townhomes or dont have the electrical infrastructure?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't know the exact mechanics of it, but how often do people need to upgrade their electrical wiring to support charging an EV?

Basically never, I think. You just plug into your normal 120V outlet. It takes several hours to fully charge from empty, but it's plenty fast for a daily commute situation. You can pay to get a fast charger installed, but very few people will need that, probably only if you drive around for a living.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

How many of those 2/3 own condos or townhomes or dont have the electrical infrastructure?

Yeah I don't know. I tried to find numbers but couldn't. Renting seemed like an OK first order approximation.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Gyges posted:

You also don’t need to be going on 1000 mile road trips to run into issues. Anyone who recreates in rural areas is likely to have to go out of their way to find a (probably slow) charger to get them enough juice. For instance, the round-trip drive for a day hike I enjoy goes from 5 hours with ICE to 7 hours in an EV.

I agree 300-325mi is enough range. We just need more chargers outside of urban areas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eric Cantonese posted:

You can plug an EV into a normal wall outlet, but it will take a LONG time to build appreciable range. You can have a level 2 charger installed in your garage that will fill it overnight, I assume it's the same sort of setup as a high-draw appliance like a washing machine or electric oven and most residences will handle it fine if it's installed correctly. Level 3 DC chargers, the ones that will fill it in under an hour, can't run on house electricity and will only show up in commercial or industrial sites. There are a lot of those in big box store parking lots now, so anyone who needs one can probably find one, like going to a gas station

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 13, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gyges posted:

Yeah, charging and range are still problems for a lot of people. If you live in an apartment, don't have a garage, or cannot afford to get a charger installed, your best bet is not running an extension cord out your window but instead going to a charging station much like you would take your gas car to a gas station.

And that gets you to how the range issue still exists. Many EVs fall short of 300 miles, even if they're rated for it (much like how many gas cars fall short of their mileage estimates). That's no big deal if you're just commuting and plugging back in every night, but it becomes a problem if you can't charge at home or are traveling long distances for two reasons. First, there simply are not a lot of charging stations, especially in rural locations. Second, charging can take a lot of time. It's not like swinging by the gas station for a quick fill up. You'll want to have something else to do since it's most likely going to take 30 minutes to an hour to get a decent charge.

So there are still some major issues facing wider adoption. Those issues are getting resolved. Ranges are growing. We're building out more and more charging stations. Cars are getting faster and faster at charging. I think owning an EV will eventually be just like owning a gas car. You'll park it in the same place you always did, you won't bother paying for the home charger unless it's affordable and convenient for you, and instead, you'll just pop down to the station on the corner and charge up when your battery gauge is close to "E".

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think a lot of the infrastructure buildout is relying on Electrify America, the company that's essentially paying off VW and other manufacturers' fines for lying to the EPA about diesel emissions by building charging infrastructure.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

haveblue posted:

You can plug an EV into a normal wall outlet, but it will take a LONG time to build appreciable range.

Edit: I got bad numbers, disregard.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2024

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I find it kind of ironic that we are trying to keep out Chinese EVs because of unfair competition but subsidizing the industry and making it highly affordable is like the single most critical thing you could do to reduce pollution from gas vehicles but what do I know, let the market save the world I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mendrian posted:

I find it kind of ironic that we are trying to keep out Chinese EVs because of unfair competition but subsidizing the industry and making it highly affordable is like the single most critical thing you could do to reduce pollution from gas vehicles but what do I know, let the market save the world I guess.

They're trying to subsidize the industry, but since US industry in general is still so heavily dependent on Chinese manufacturing, ensuring that the subsidies don't end up flowing to China in the end means you have to disqualify the vast majority of makes and models

I wish the government would spend the money on infrastructure, to fix the range anxiety issues discussed above in all regions of the country. gently caress, just have a handful of fast chargers installed at every gas station in America, so nobody even has to change their habits (other than planning to spend 30-60 minutes hanging out at a gas station)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eric Cantonese posted:

Bought a 2019 off lease intro Nissan Leaf with a 150 mile range (closer to 137 with battery degradation at this point and the dead of winter it got downright ugly, dipping down to like 90 miles) that I'm charging off a regular outlet in the garage currently and plan to get a high speed outlet installed this summer. I had redone my electrical 14 years ago when I bought the house, but a normal outlet will be fine for most people. Overnight it'll charge to full from 40-50%.

I may need to upgrade due to the range at some point, but it was dirt cheap considering I had zero time to shop around. $18k with a $4k rebate is hard to beat.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mendrian posted:

I don't have an easy answer to anything, but it does seem like one of the pitfalls of trying to transition to a "green" economy is containing the economic fallout that comes with it as best as you can. I think auto manufacturing is one of the last remaining sectors of the American economy with lots of good union jobs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
One thing about charging in garage that may make people change the way things are built is the fire risk. It's not actually huge, like I think that EV's have about the same risk of catching fire as ICE cars. But with EV's there's a heightened risk of it catching fire while parked inside or next to your house plugged to recharger, and when that happens there's no way of extinguishing it so if the car's parked next to your home it's not just all your property at risk, it's also the lives of your family. Insurers are going to start paying attention to this sooner or later, and that will reflect on how we build homes and garages.

Maybe future houses will have a recharging pit that can be filled with water in emergency.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i thought Li and other period 1 and 2 elements burn even under water? like I guess a large enough water pool sucks up thermal energy and other fire trianle stuff, but isnt the pro strat some cancer chemicals that bond to the Li?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have a condo and we don't have chargers. I don't think the parking is due to be repaved for at least four or five years, so not really an option for most to get an EV until they're installed. There is one Tesla, I guess the owner charges at work.

Most people's cars don't leave during the work day, probably because we have good public transit here, so even if we don't get chargers, it's still fine. And really, I think EVs are good but what we actually need is a restructuring of our cities to be less car dependent in general. I drive my car once a week!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Allow me to quote from the Tesla official guide:

quote:

"If the battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. It can take between approximately 3,000-8,000 gallons (11,356-30,283 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request additional water supply early."

If home fires from EV's are at a higher risk, gonna need a fire suppression system better than water. There's a bunch of similar news stories of Teslas taking forever to put out and using truly absurd amounts of water in the process:

https://www.al.com/news/2023/12/36000-gallons-of-water-used-to-douse-burning-tesla-on-i-65-in-alabama.html

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

haveblue posted:

I wish the government would spend the money on infrastructure, to fix the range anxiety issues discussed above in all regions of the country. gently caress, just have a handful of fast chargers installed at every gas station in America, so nobody even has to change their habits (other than planning to spend 30-60 minutes hanging out at a gas station)

Gas stations just need to add a lot of picnic tables near by and increase the amount of god-tier wings they get from Royal Farms or wherever

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The pro strat for lithium/sodium fires is to stand a very safe distance away and just watch it burn until it's done

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't have an easy answer to anything, but it does seem like one of the pitfalls of trying to transition to a "green" economy is containing the economic fallout that comes with it as best as you can. I think auto manufacturing is one of the last remaining sectors of the American economy with lots of good union jobs.

Oh for sure. I'm not saying throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I'm saying pour US tax money directly into subsidizing cheap, clean vehicles, but there's no will for that. 'Cheap' in the US still usually means 'out of the reach of the poor', who are of course the people who have to drive around the most. If you recognize that a group of people need clean vehicles and the only obstacle is that we can't give poor people things, that's the essential problem. We can keep the money in the US but the solution is still kind of the same.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

punishedkissinger posted:

subsidizing green technologies? pure evil, shut it down.

As much as I would love for green tech to be cheaper; there's other concerns and its legitimately in the US and EU's interests to take measures if China isn't playing by the rules it agreed to follow. It just happened to be green technology in the headlines this time but it can just as easily be any other trendy growing industry; American workers and the American/EU economies also have a right to support its own industries and to make sure competition is being done fairly. China could always have negotiated a trade agreement if it wants to legally subsidies EVs in the EU and US markets.

e:

Kalli posted:

Allow me to quote from the Tesla official guide:

If home fires from EV's are at a higher risk, gonna need a fire suppression system better than water. There's a bunch of similar news stories of Teslas taking forever to put out and using truly absurd amounts of water in the process:

https://www.al.com/news/2023/12/36000-gallons-of-water-used-to-douse-burning-tesla-on-i-65-in-alabama.html

What about spraying sand or salt? Would that work, just smother it so it doesn't have oxygen anymore?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 13, 2024

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mendrian posted:

'Cheap' in the US still usually means 'out of the reach of the poor', who are of course the people who have to drive around the most.

I don't think this is true. This says households making over $100k drive about twice as much daily as the poorest households. Obviously it's better the more people can afford to replace their gas cars with EVs, but I think the people who matter most here are the people who drive the most.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt NYC having a problem with 3rd party or dropshit batteries catching fire, seems like the problem wont go away until the technology matures or develops enough that fires are statistical noise compared to current bad car netrics.

oh and maybe builders should also actually build good stuff and not just lowest bidder poo poo?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

isnt NYC having a problem with 3rd party or dropshit batteries catching fire, seems like the problem wont go away until the technology matures or develops enough that fires are statistical noise compared to current bad car netrics.

oh and maybe builders should also actually build good stuff and not just lowest bidder poo poo?

Those are largely batteries for electric delivery bikes, where it's very easy to buy a piece of poo poo off Aliexpress and swap it in. You can't do this with electric car batteries, and the manufacturers are using reliable sources that don't spontaneously catch fire (for the most part).

Also, Elon Musk is apparently reading this thread and is now trying to rebuild the Supercharger team he laid off last month in his quest to go absolutely hardcore

quote:

Tesla Inc. has begun hiring back some of the almost 500 members of its Supercharging team that Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk dismissed late last month.

Chief among the personnel who have returned is Max de Zegher, the director of charging for North America, according to people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. De Zegher was one of the top managers after Rebecca Tinucci, the senior director Musk fired late last month along with virtually everyone else in the charging group.

It wasn’t immediately clear how many laid-off workers have been rehired. Musk and de Zegher didn’t respond to messages seeking comment.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 13, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

On top of people not wanting to give Elon a dime, Tesla cars are stale designs with a lot of bizarre quirks and their new flagship vehicle is the IRL version of The Homer. But they seem to own the EV mindshare in the US and sell hundreds of thousands of the things while all the legacy automakers move four digits.

I will most likely never own a car of any kind (living in the heart of NYC does that to you) but if I were ever in a position to get one it would probably be a Hyundai EV too. I've seen a few around the neighborhood and they look really neat

It's still absolutely insane to me that Tesla is killing the service they could easily turn into an eternal cash cow that sustains the entire company and lets Elon release whatever garbage passion projects he wants without staking the business on them. But then again I'm not a big brain tech genius billionaire

A bunch of other EV companies adopted Tesla's charging standard, so now Musk probably figures he can get them to pick up the actual work of maintaining the infrastructure. Besides, Tesla's numbers so declining sharply enough that he probably needs to juice the numbers with short-term gains even if it means tanking the EV business long-term.

Raenir Salazar posted:

As much as I would love for green tech to be cheaper; there's other concerns and its legitimately in the US and EU's interests to take measures if China isn't playing by the rules it agreed to follow. It just happened to be green technology in the headlines this time but it can just as easily be any other trendy growing industry; American workers and the American/EU economies also have a right to support its own industries and to make sure competition is being done fairly. China could always have negotiated a trade agreement if it wants to legally subsidies EVs in the EU and US markets.

e:

What about spraying sand or salt? Would that work, just smother it so it doesn't have oxygen anymore?

Lithium-ion batteries contain their own oxidizer (or are reactive enough to liberate oxygen from a wide variety of other materials), so they don't need atmospheric oxygen to burn. The chemical reactions from a hot enough lithium battery will release enough oxygen from inside the battery to sustain a fire without any need to take oxygen from the air.

That's why it's incredibly difficult to put out a lithium battery fire. The standard tactic of cutting off the oxygen supply won't work at all. That only leaves two options for dealing with it:
  1. Cool the burning battery down, a lot, while it's still burning in a super-hot lithium battery fire. This is very difficult and usually requires a fuckton of water or something. Also, note that damaged lithium batteries tend to undergo chemical processes that cause them to substantially heat up, so even when the fire is out and the battery is cooled down, you've gotta keep cooling it until pretty much all the energy in the battery has been consumed by these processes, or else it might spontaneously reignite later

2. Tow that battery fire somewhere away from anything important and just watch it loving burn until there's nothing left to burn

While EV fires aren't especially common unless the battery's been damaged somehow, they're very difficult to deal with.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

James Garfield posted:

I don't think this is true. This says households making over $100k drive about twice as much daily as the poorest households. Obviously it's better the more people can afford to replace their gas cars with EVs, but I think the people who matter most here are the people who drive the most.

I live in a 105K household and we are still definitely poor. Whether or not that is the 'poverty line' isn't really something I want to split hairs about.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Feel free to join us in the EV thread in AI if you want to hear from real owners’ experiences. Tl;dr: if you’re being honest about your needs most people are absolutely able to go electric. You can get a real decent used EV with 250ish miles of range for like $15k or less, depending on the rebates you qualify for. That car would cost 64 * (your local price per kilowatt-hour) to fill from completely dead. (I tend to plug it in when it hits 30-40%, but that’s completely arbitrary and since we have charging in our garage it’s as easy as plugging in your phone at night)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I live in a 105K household and we are still definitely poor.

With empathy towards whatever your precise situation is, I have a hard time accepting this as “poor.”