Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I remeber EA sending us out a CD patch in the post for one of their FIFA games :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I'm not familiar with a mod in the vein of Wayfarer's Tome for Hexen, unfortunately, but if there were I'd probably recommend it. I agree HND would be a weird way to play the game for the first time, but if you try it and give up after a few hours it's probably still worth a shot vOv

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh man, I cut my teeth on Hexen (& Doom) as a kid, so I'm always delighted to hear it chat about it. I'd not touch any overhaul mods at all; unless they're rebuilding all the maps from the ground up, they won't be addressing any of the major flaws in the game. The key hunting has almost been canonized by now, it's truly deserved with how much time you spend backtracking through empty maps wondering where the eff that switch/keyhole/newly-opened-door is.

But everything else? The menagerie, weapon art & gunfeel, 'general feel of combat'? All great poo poo. Hexen is kind of why I'm super critical of these faux-retro shooters having such lovely sprites; games back in the day looked the very best that they could, not intentionally blobby. The detail on the sorcerer's hands as he uses the ice spell really sticks with me, decades later.

I'm not kidding about the key hunting btw, keep a gamefaqs guide open if you really want to play it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Raven's spritework was really good, and Hexen was the best of the bunch. A shame the underlying mechanics were so annoying because the game looked great

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Years ago ITT someone described Hexen as a playable heavy metal album cover and I don't think anyone can do better than that

Also worth noting that each class's final weapon unlocks fairly late in the game so it's more like 3 classes with 3 weapons each most of the time. A number of inventory items also function as weapons, though

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 13, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was the n64 version any good? At least for 4 player dm

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The switch hunt/key hunt in Hexen really isn't that bad, and the combat and aesthetic are amazing! It's definitely imposing on first play, but the maps really aren't that big and if you keep a few notes it won't be too hard. It is one of the first games where I had to try to visualize the level as a 3d space to understand how to progress (particularly in early level Guardian of Steel). Still one of my favorite games.

There is a bug in the castle hub about 2/3 through the game that may have to be noclipped around, that I can't remember if it was ever fixed though, might want to find out about that.
Some spoilers here, but this mentions it - I feel like I got caught there even with the Steam version of the wad at one point - https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Hub_4:_Gibbet

Never could get into the expansion though, I've tried twice and never made it far.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Still playing ADACA, I'm on the fourth? level of Ep 2.

You know, I also think the art style (low poly, super flat shaded, similar to games like DRG) isn't working well here. There are parts or enemies that are supposed to be creepy and all that, or at least moody, and it just doesn't work this style. The lack of detail in some areas (say, rooms are just an empty square) doesn't help. I understand part of it surely because lack of manpower for a more realistic style, but we know that other games with "primitive" graphics, from Dusk to Gloomwood to Cultic to HROT can work, so yeah I think it was a misfire. In general the dev was too ambitious and he stretched himself thin too much creating this game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was the n64 version any good? At least for 4 player dm
It's probably the best of the console ports. It suffers from That N64 Murk, but it can be slightly alleviated in that it gives you an in-game option to turn off texture filtering(!!).

The PS1 and Saturn version lose a lot of level detail, no monster sprite rotations, no gibbing and the PS1 version eating an entire memory card for one savegame(!!!!), but they also have hilariously bad pre-rendered FMV cutscenes so they can't be that bad, right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Heretic is great. The inventory system is neat, and while it's obviously a DOOM clone, that's never a bad thing.
While true, there's one major difference in that there's no hit scanners in Heretic--all enemy attacks are melee or projectile-based. That changes up the feel of encounters quite a bit.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Hexen has a good concept (3 classes, 4 different weapons each, hub layout instead of sequential maps, etc), but kinda lacks depth after killing your billionth enemy. Way too many mazes / switch-hunting.
I think there's a cheat that lets you reclass. Although, you could do worse than just play Hexen's first map (Winnowing Hall) which is self-contained and fairly straightforward. The technical improvements that Raven made to the DOOM engine are pretty impressive and Hexen lays its cards out early in that regard.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

The Kins posted:

The PS1 and Saturn version lose a lot of level detail, no monster sprite rotations, no gibbing and the PS1 version eating an entire memory card for one savegame(!!!!), but they also have hilariously bad pre-rendered FMV cutscenes so they can't be that bad, right?
Counterpoint: the PS/Saturn Hexen cutscenes are decent "artistic reinterpretations" of the in-game story text, and aged better than Raven's own Hexen 2 opening.

Though I would say the concept of the Hexen 2 opening (sage guy narrating over scenes of towns destroyed by the dark army) isn't bad. A modern remake would serve it well.

All the other in-game text screens that are comically brief and anti-climactic compared to the fairly elaborate manual story, OTOH...

cuc fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 13, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I picked up that one dollar bundle because hell, why not. Is there a good source port for Heretic? Or, really, all of these games? This is just running in DOSBox it seems and there must be better options than that!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

In Training posted:

Is there a good source port for Heretic? Or, really, all of these games?
I like Russian Heretic/Hexen (part of Russian DOOM). Those are based on the actual Heretic/Hexen sources so they maintain the "quirks" of the inventory, vertical view, flying, etc., that all got kind of assimilated in GZDoom.

That said, you can play the games fine in GZDoom, if you already have a good GZDoom setup.

DSDA-Doom has Heretic and Hexen support, but its focus is on demo compatibility and I found the actual user experience trying to play those games to be a bit buggy.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

In Training posted:

I picked up that one dollar bundle because hell, why not. Is there a good source port for Heretic? Or, really, all of these games? This is just running in DOSBox it seems and there must be better options than that!

GZDoom (and with some bugginess DSDA-Doom) both support them properly with modern features. Eternity’s at least working on it, and Chocolate Heretic and Chocolate Hexen would give you a native way to experience them without involving DOSbox. To my knowledge Woof does not and Crispy Heretic/Hexen don’t exist because the maintainer of Woof and Crispy Doom doesn’t care for them. But that should definitely be enough to get started.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Had no idea Hexen was on console :eyepop:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

heretic is great and the complaints about enemies being spongey just show that they never used the tome of power. use the tome of power!!! you get TONS of them and they make the guns feel way better. don't hoard items; you get reduced to one of each every level, so there's no reason not to use down to at most one of each item before the end of the level.

hexen is not as good; the basic combat feels great and it's gorgeous, but the extremely few weapons per class sucks rear end and as mentioned the switch hunting is tedious and boring your first few times through, especially in the heresiarch hub.

hexen 2, however, nine tiles puzzle aside, is a big upgrade over hexen. it's still only four weapons per class but the classes feel a lot more different from each other, and they brought back the tome of power so there's at least a bit more combat variety.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

The Kins posted:

It's probably the best of the console ports. It suffers from That N64 Murk, but it can be slightly alleviated in that it gives you an in-game option to turn off texture filtering(!!).

Don't forget the atrocious hit detection that lets you hit an ettin with the cleric's mace from a good ten feet away :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This Heretic 2 erasure will not stand.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one is using the cleric because the wizard has a range attack with infinite ammo that also passes through enemy shields that bounce anything else back at you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just bopped through E1M1 on DSDA and seems to be pretty great. I like the look of the monsters already! And the pistol is cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

This Heretic 2 erasure will not stand.

if i remember civvie's review, heretic 2 is not available digitally at all and is also a different game genre (third-person action) so it's not surprising people forget it, although civvie did make it sound pretty rad. it's a raven game, it's gotta be at least capable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Heretic 2 is like a proto Jedi Outcast. Or, respectfully, Tomb Raider with elves. FPS adjacent only

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Heretic is a great shooter and my only issue with it is that the level design feels hugely uneven imo. For every cool level you get a few that have absolute dog poo poo layouts and repetitive textures, but it's still a fun experience all around

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Arivia posted:

if i remember civvie's review, heretic 2 is not available digitally at all and is also a different game genre (third-person action) so it's not surprising people forget it, although civvie did make it sound pretty rad. it's a raven game, it's gotta be at least capable.

It’s a forgotten gem with some fun bits and accidentally hilarious dialogue (“My people have been consumed by bloodlust!” Corvus lamented in the first level as he ruthlessly murdered them). It is also rather pretty - was the first game I ever saw running at 1600x1200, as some buddies of mine who ran a PC business in the 90s put some guy’s Nvidia RIVA TNT to creative definitions of stability testing. The framerate wasn’t high, but it was gorgeous compared to the Voodoo 1 I was running at home. I just wish I’d gotten multiplayer working on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
P sure I mentioned it here before but I'd love a class based FPS with swords and sorcery instead of guns. Hell the popularity of the halloween event spells shows how much people like that poo poo in TF2. I've been drawing doodles in my notebook for the past 20 minutes. They look like a child drew them but I swear the premise is sound

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really like Heretic 2, it's playable nowadays but a source port or remaster of sorts would be amazing imo.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

My Hexen review is separated into 5 parts scattered throughout the forums.

(I didn't like it much.)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm very much on the side of "I want to like Hexen but I always stop at Seven Portals."

Milo and POTUS posted:

P sure I mentioned it here before but I'd love a class based FPS with swords and sorcery instead of guns. Hell the popularity of the halloween event spells shows how much people like that poo poo in TF2. I've been drawing doodles in my notebook for the past 20 minutes. They look like a child drew them but I swear the premise is sound

Legends of Might and Magic?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Guillermus posted:

I really like Heretic 2, it's playable nowadays but a source port or remaster of sorts would be amazing imo.

It's up there for me for a NightDive rescue and remaster.

I'd ultimately prefer them giving their attention to the Thiefses, but also it's not like they're difficult to get running or to purchase. Hell, with a few minutes setting up bindings, they even run well on the steam deck.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Milo and POTUS posted:

Amulets & Armor got a freeware release because of a LP on this very forum!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

An Actual Princess posted:

heretic is great and the complaints about enemies being spongey just show that they never used the tome of power. use the tome of power!!! you get TONS of them and they make the guns feel way better. don't hoard items; you get reduced to one of each every level, so there's no reason not to use down to at most one of each item before the end of the level.

hexen is not as good; the basic combat feels great and it's gorgeous, but the extremely few weapons per class sucks rear end and as mentioned the switch hunting is tedious and boring your first few times through, especially in the heresiarch hub.

hexen 2, however, nine tiles puzzle aside, is a big upgrade over hexen. it's still only four weapons per class but the classes feel a lot more different from each other, and they brought back the tome of power so there's at least a bit more combat variety.

Heretic - I'm sorry, I'm just a hoarder :smith: I can't justify using x item if I don't know what's coming up, I might need to use it then!
I wonder if there's a mod out there which displays all the inventory at all times

Hexen - I wonder if there's a mod out there which makes the weapon system class agnostic? And with more types of ammo? I think that would spice things up

Any game which has a nightmare difficulty setting "SHE-BITCH" is a winner for me

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Man, I am finally getting around to playing Call of The Machine and just loving it. This is incredible, I can't believe I didn't hop on it at release.

It absolutely deserves a place among the best new boomer shooters, enemy counts are way higher than late 90s computers could have possibly handled. They also found a fun way to theme together a collection of pretty different concepts with the campaign structure. I also completely missed that Adrenaline was now a usable item that you could carry until you need it, that helps bring the difficulty back down into the fun zone for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Call of the Machine fuckin rules. I already said it Im just repeating it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There was one campaign I didn't really like, the one with a bunch of those leaping lizards and the waterwheels

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was one campaign I didn't really like, the one with a bunch of those leaping lizards and the waterwheels

Yeah that one that's just a big sewer full of mutants and gekks is like... I get it but those are the two worst enemies in q2 by a wide margin and I kinda hate the sewer aesthetic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wonder how much this helps
https://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-2-the-second-cut

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's not a lot of fixes but they sure seem like some important ones

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Blood 2 hotfix: we replaced the entire game with Blood

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I enjoyed Hexen with the rebalance patch. It makes the centaurs not as annoying.

If they did a Hexen rerelease but with a waypoint system like they did for Quake 2 that could work. Just something to tell the player some that a door opened over on x map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When you learn from a patch somebody had the galaxy brain idea to let enemies pick up ammo