Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I. M. Gei posted:

Remind me again why people claim Europe is better than America?

Have you seen America recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

The true curse is when people upload a video to YouTube that's shot in portrait mode so if you're watching it with your phone in portrait mode the video is stamp-sized in the centre of the screen.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

The true curse is when people upload a video to YouTube that's shot in portrait mode so if you're watching it with your phone in portrait mode the video is stamp-sized in the centre of the screen.

It was uploaded before youtube pivoted to shorts so you just got to suck it up sorry.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If I ever see turkeys performing a satanic ritual I'm deliberately going to film it in portrait because it pisses off nerds on the internet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

shorts didn't invent vertical videos, it merely adopted them

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, but it allowed for videos like this to not get stuck in the limbo between filmed on phone and consumed on phone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ghostlight posted:

shorts the new term for yutes now

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Stoatbringer posted:

Have you seen America recently?

I'm seeing the UK and Europe in this thread right now and I don't see the appeal of either.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

McGavin posted:

If I ever see turkeys performing a satanic ritual I'm deliberately going to film it in portrait because it pisses off nerds on the internet.

im going to film in portrait but forget to change from selfie cam so all you see is me going "whooooaaaa!" as my nostrils flare and my neck rolls sway from excitement

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm seeing the UK and Europe in this thread right now and I don't see the appeal of either.

I was born in Germany but have lived in the US for well over two decades now. In the past 7 years I've thought about going back plenty of times. I even started working on the logistics of moving my family back over, how to ship things, looking for education opportunities for my oldest kid.
I visited my parents 2-3 times back home during those years. And somewhere along the line I realized that poo poo was hosed everywhere, not just the US. Chuds are rising in Europe, too. I see that the local AfD (German chud party) Facebook page has multiple of my family and friends on there. I'm dreading social visits because I'm sure to hear terrible opinions. I actually hear far more chuddery from my family than anyone else I know :negative:

The phenomenon is global. Ever more vicious capitalism, oligarchy disguised as democracy, global oil and energy collapse.
There is no place to run to so I decided to stay put

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

I. M. Gei posted:

Remind me again why people claim Europe is better than America?

Stockholm syndrome.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

shorts the new term for yutes now
:confused:

:confused:

ZixTheYeti posted:

Stockholm syndrome.

Solid European pun :hmmyes:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

The phenomenon is global. Ever more vicious capitalism, oligarchy disguised as democracy, global oil and energy collapse.
There is no place to run to so I decided to stay put
I was discussing something similar with my mom today, about how the world is full of stupid people, they're everywhere and inescapable, and I half want to move to a place where I don't know the language so at least I won't hear/read all that stupidity. I'll be ignorant, they'll be stupid, and everybody's happy. :dumb:

Of course, those stupid people are making decisions that affect us all in our daily lives, so willful ignorance is no escape.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm not sure if this is cursed or not but I saw this on my feed today:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/09/i-am-101-years-old-and-the-worlds-oldest-practicing-doctor-my-no-1-tip-for-keeping-your-brain-sharp.html

And I was immediately reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSt1m4NFUl8

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

McGavin posted:

I'm going to start in portrait and then turn the phone to the side as I film.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

There's a show on one of the Discovery channel networks that had a segment showing a bunch of turkeys walking in a circle around a roadkilled animal. Like 15 or 20 of them. It was creepy as hell and I don't think they ever came up with an explanation for it. Maybe turkeys just like to walk circles around dead things and we don't have enough video of it to know why yet? :shrug:
I would assume it's similar to ant circles, turkeys are predisposed to following a turkey in front of them as flock behavior. Presumably the turkeys came over to check out the dead cat, at some point the lead turkey decided it was done and branched off to follow another member of the flock, but the rest of the flock was still following the former lead and they got stuck.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Knormal posted:

I would assume it's similar to ant circles, turkeys are predisposed to following a turkey in front of them as flock behavior. Presumably the turkeys came over to check out the dead cat, at some point the lead turkey decided it was done and branched off to follow another member of the flock, but the rest of the flock was still following the former lead and they got stuck.

Yeah that looks like what's going on in the grave video too. The circle breaks up when one turkey falls too far behind to see the one in front of it and that's when they all stop following each other and run off.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nobody Interesting posted:

how do they get to the door

In fairness, these people probably have to rearrange their living room so the cameraman can get them all in the same shot for the duration of the show.

Gogglebox is a bizarre concept but probably every country has some inexplicable fluke that nobody from a different country could care about. America has Wrestling, NASCAR and (American) Football.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pro wrestling is definitely not a localized American phenomenon.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i don't care about the concept of gogglebox but britain needs to stop naming things from the teletubby dictionary. the word teletubby itself sounds like what the sun would call james corden

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

So the people who come up with the British English version of naming things are just 4 year olds making up words that they think would sound British

Whereas the American English version needs to be more Diabetes inducing and include made up arbitrary metrics?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

Could probably get the world to pay for a wall around england as long as they weren't allowed to leave

They tried it, it's covered in the documentary film "Doomsday"

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Somewhat better income inequality and public services from not falling into the trap of economic liberalization in the 80s and 90s as much as the US. But you may recall the UK very publicly decided to NOT to be a part of Europe recently.

The European country that decided to exit from the union with it's most profitable and beneficial trade partners was also the country that drank hardest from the Reagan/Thatcher cool aid.

Who needs industries anyway, we'll all have email jobs and the serfs can work the manual labour until we can replace them with a machine. I presume all the displaced and disgruntled workers will just dissipate back into the environment or wherever they came from.

:siren:
E: Related! Content! New worker subjugation/immiseration machine just dropped!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/s/KvYQDdvIPc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only thing keeping England's waterways being mostly water instead of 100% cholera was the EU lol.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The only thing keeping England's waterways being mostly water instead of 100% cholera was the EU lol.

And now we are free again! Typhoid for everybody!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
At least your government can promise there will be adequate food (no promise when exactly that will be, though)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

More cursed less text.

Alternatively blessed

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ReelBigLizard posted:

:siren:
E: Related! Content! New worker subjugation/immiseration machine just dropped!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/s/KvYQDdvIPc

We need to develop a 'CEO in dark unobserved space' AI to press the point home.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

muscles like this! posted:

Some home grown (not homegrown) cursed image as I found this today when doing yardwork.

Not familiar with the Call of Cthulhu scenario this handout is from

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

davidspackage posted:

America has Wrestling,

Homie, the UK has a century-old pro wrestling tradition that influenced many of the world's pro wrestling traditions.

Hell, French pro wrestling was so popular in the '50s and '60s that allegedly actual Nazi war criminals were able to hide in plain sight through it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wurzag posted:

Pickman's Model

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

codo27 posted:

If there were ever a group dedicated to refuting nihilism, reaction videos would surely make them give up entirely

Waffle! posted:

I used to think reaction videos were the laziest form of content, but then those AI reading Reddit posts videos came out.

there's a hustling niche on YouTube for "being black and reacting positively to poo poo white people like"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

hawowanlawow posted:

there's a hustling niche on YouTube for "being black and reacting positively to poo poo white people like"

Finally, an opportunity for black people to financially benefit from boomer insecurities.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

There is also one for being American and trying to understand Canada.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5dmP-rswcf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

muscles like this! posted:

Some home grown (not homegrown) cursed image as I found this today when doing yardwork.

it's very easy for me to imagine some person sitting on the porch with a beer saying "gently caress him/her", gently lighting a polaroid on fire, and tossing it into the brush thinking it was gone forever.

Also, looks kinda homegroan.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LvK posted:

Homie, the UK has a century-old pro wrestling tradition that influenced many of the world's pro wrestling traditions.

Hell, French pro wrestling was so popular in the '50s and '60s that allegedly actual Nazi war criminals were able to hide in plain sight through it.

The jig was up when they misheard heel

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Wurzag posted:

It's clearly Delta Green's Lover in the Ice :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://x.com/msmalarkey24/status/1789513771280384426?s=61&t=2_0g7uj-8jmKm4C6BGVImw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone should give him fake cocaine