Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

raminasi posted:

Feedback for candidates has zero reliable signal anyway, so I don't think you missed out. It's not like the CEO would write down that he rejected you because he thought your haircut was stupid, and the "actual" rejection reason was very plausibly on that level.

Yeah, I don't blame them for not providing a why. The recruiter seemed just as confused as I was. It was a pretty light conversation. Maybe I oversold my ambitions to transition into a management role. Maybe the guy just didn't like my voice. No idea.

Ironically, my brother-in-law wound up working for them a couple of years later. I tried to get him to figure out what happened because he works directly with the CEO, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Companies never give useful feedback to rejected candidates, because there is zero upside to the company to do so. It exposes them to risk of accusations of discrimination, or even just being made to look a fool on social media.
I once gave a candidate good feedback and got told that it was the nicest "pass" they had ever received, and we stayed in touch as friends for a number of years until we drifted onto different social media platforms

Didn't help the company at all but I dunno, sometimes you just meet nice folks who build relationships

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
If you’re in a niche industry it particularly pays to be nice to interviewees because you never know when they’ll have you on the other side of the table.

…Unless they’re so bad you’d never want to work at a place that would ol hire them, of course.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Yeah, when we were doing phone screens and interviews, we were told to press on even if we'd already decided to pass because we wanted them to feel like they had a good interview experience.

Which was frustrating when we'd determine within 5 minutes of a 45-min phone screen that the person couldn't code at all.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
At FAANGs they definitely don't give out much in the way of feedback (presumably for the reasons described), which is disappointing because I've had a few interviews where I wish I could have told the person involved something fairly concrete and useful that affected their interview, but I can't just assume that they would be good outside of This One Thing. Sometimes the feedback is 'maybe you should stop feeding our code questions into ChatGPT' though, and I understand why we don't give that feedback.

"Oh wow you answered the first part really quickly, but then failed to actually talk about the components? Alright, what if you had to do X instead of Y? Oh? You're totally stuck now?" <-- This was, notably, not some insane gotcha question involving inverting a binary tree upside down in spain, but instead a pretty straightforward parsing question with a lot of very basic solutions, since it was meant to be something you could knock out in 10-15 minutes and then talk about it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Companies never give useful feedback to rejected candidates, because there is zero upside to the company to do so. It exposes them to risk of accusations of discrimination, or even just being made to look a fool on social media.

I got useful feedback from Google many years ago. It was condescending and really negative and soured me on the company for a long time (one of the phrases I remember is, "if you would just use basic high school algebra"). That's probably why they don't do that as a rule now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
You'd think the unceasing drive to spend zero company dollars on training would lead to giving more feedback after an interview, since that's on the failed candidate's dime.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

pokeyman posted:

You'd think the unceasing drive to spend zero company dollars on training would lead to giving more feedback after an interview, since that's on the failed candidate's dime.

generating and delivering the feedback would be on the company dime

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

selling advertising space to for-profit universities and coding bootcamps in your applicant rejection letters

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't give anyone any ideas

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

Yeah, when we were doing phone screens and interviews, we were told to press on even if we'd already decided to pass because we wanted them to feel like they had a good interview experience.

Which was frustrating when we'd determine within 5 minutes of a 45-min phone screen that the person couldn't code at all.

I do the code challenge step of our interview process and more often than not it was obvious if someone was failing within the first 10 minutes and then had to kinda just play pretend for the next 50. That's often included answering questions about the job they definitely aren't going to get because they just failed.

It wasn't me but one of the other interviewers had a guy realize he'd failed and said "Well that's going to make the next few hours awkward and pointless."

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

The Fool posted:

don't give anyone any ideas

Creating false job postings that will be failed so they can insert contractually-obligated advertising for for-profit universities and coding bootcamps.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Creating false job postings that will be failed so they can insert contractually-obligated advertising for for-profit universities and coding bootcamps.

Use GPT-4o to run the interview so you don't have to pay actual employees.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

wilderthanmild posted:

I do the code challenge step of our interview process and more often than not it was obvious if someone was failing within the first 10 minutes and then had to kinda just play pretend for the next 50. That's often included answering questions about the job they definitely aren't going to get because they just failed.

It wasn't me but one of the other interviewers had a guy realize he'd failed and said "Well that's going to make the next few hours awkward and pointless."
I had an interview once where it obviously wasn't going well but the company was buying lunch so I made them get me two entrees

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Combine the fun of escape rooms with interviewing. Give the candidate a computer with no net access with a leet code challenge on it that unlocks the interview room door, leave them alone if they can code their way out of it then they can pass to the next stage.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

That's honestly a more mellow version of what you're typically presented with.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

moctopus posted:

That's honestly a more mellow version of what you're typically presented with.

While still retaining the all-important "not remotely reflective of what you will actually work on or how you will work" aspect.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

I had an interview once where it obviously wasn't going well but the company was buying lunch so I made them get me two entrees

I had one where the hiring manager was straight up asking me for advice on how to manage surly Linux sysadmins because he was new to the role and had never dealt with so many difficult personalities before. It was bizarre because the questions were so specific and the guy seemed exhausted.

I took my free lunch and told the recruiter I didn’t think it was a good fit for me.

A week later I got a rejection notice stating that they didn’t think I would be a good fit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A few years ago I asked for feedback and that actually led to a conversation with the CTO after which I had another call with the hiring manager scheduled. I got another offer so I cancelled that call but if they were willing to talk to me not once but twice after I failed out of the interview process then it was probably a good sign.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

George Wright posted:

I took my free lunch and told the recruiter I didn’t think it was a good fit for me.

A week later I got a rejection notice stating that they didn’t think I would be a good fit.

That's my least favorite part of routine interviewing. Even if I don't care about the job, I just want to shout "no no no I rejected YOU first".

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I just took a test after I applied to a job that was a lot of little timed logic puzzles and personality questions, framed as a series of private DMs from real people. On one hand, it was kindof fun to do, I like puzzles. On the other hand it depressed me that I was being asked to do something this dumb.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my current job did that when I was interviewing and I almost dropped out of the process because of it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That’s impressively irrelevant.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Aren't those spatial reasoning questions the bulk of the modern day online IQ test?

Impressively irrelevant is a great way to put it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
prolly to get around griggs vs. duke power and discriminate against peeps? i dunno how that would actually entail getting around it. perhaps they don't know and some plaintiff lawyers could gussy up a class action

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
A friend of mine described interviewing as trapping people in a room with you for an hour and they have to listen to you (as the interviewee) and I love that description

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Gotta make sure you don't accidentally hire any wordcels for your shape rotator job.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

lifg posted:

I just took a test after I applied to a job that was a lot of little timed logic puzzles and personality questions, framed as a series of private DMs from real people. On one hand, it was kindof fun to do, I like puzzles. On the other hand it depressed me that I was being asked to do something this dumb.

I can’t do this poo poo at all. What’s the answer? Can y’all do this in your head?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I can’t do this poo poo at all. What’s the answer? Can y’all do this in your head?

It's the bottom three. 5 is mostly a rectangle already, and rotating 4 and 6 means that they fit exactly into the two missing corners.

This is a really easy one and a lot of people can do that level of spatial reasoning in their head. These sort of puzzles can get trickier if you, for example, need to mentally put two pieces together and then think about what shape is needed to fill the leftover space.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

lifg posted:

Hugh had a special eyepiece to do a spatial reasoning test for Geordi and Dr. Crusher. How are unaugmented humans supposed to be able to do this!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jabor posted:

It's the bottom three. 5 is mostly a rectangle already, and rotating 4 and 6 means that they fit exactly into the two missing corners.

This is a really easy one and a lot of people can do that level of spatial reasoning in their head. These sort of puzzles can get trickier if you, for example, need to mentally put two pieces together and then think about what shape is needed to fill the leftover space.

I concur.

My brain kept trying to fit 2,3,6 together and it’s close, but not quite right. I do think it is close enough that if I was in a hurry, due to, say taking a timed test, I might guess that and rush on to the next question.

More importantly, I have never needed to rotate and fit together shards into a rectangle while working on a computer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

This is a really easy one and a lot of people can do that level of spatial reasoning in their head.

But also some people just straight-up can't. It's a weird thing to test for, you're excluding some fraction of your pool completely arbitrarily.

...which is what 90+% of the tech hiring process is, come to think. Carry on, I guess :(

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LLSix posted:

I concur.

My brain kept trying to fit 2,3,6 together and it’s close, but not quite right. I do think it is close enough that if I was in a hurry, due to, say taking a timed test, I might guess that and rush on to the next question.

More importantly, I have never needed to rotate and fit together shards into a rectangle while working on a computer.

1, 2, and 3 are also close, the general shape of 3 is there, but the length of the sides are all off.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I could imagine using it as an interesting tool to see someone's problem solving style. Do they get fixated on using one piece and not try alternatives, do they spend the whole time talking about their favorite puzzles, do they know their limits.
But actually getting the right answer seems like the piece that's the least to SWE

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
“I’ve already seen this exact same problem before, do you want me to tell you the answer or pick a new problem?”

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I could imagine using it as an interesting tool to see someone's problem solving style. Do they get fixated on using one piece and not try alternatives, do they spend the whole time talking about their favorite puzzles, do they know their limits.
But actually getting the right answer seems like the piece that's the least to SWE

the only thing that matters in "see problem solving style" interviews is smoothly and quickly coming up with the solution the interviewer wants. this is especially true in programming interviews.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

leper khan posted:

the only thing that matters in "see problem solving style" interviews is smoothly and quickly coming up with the solution the interviewer wants. this is especially true in programming interviews.

I don't like asking this kind of "one solution" question exactly because it biases me towards people who problem solve like I do. When talking about problem solving, I usually just as, "walk me through a difficult problem you faced and how you approached solving it" and the check-mark is around if they approached the problem with some sort of mindfulness with bonus points available for collaboration or other highly organized process.

But I am mostly doing first-touch or cultural interviews these days and not technical.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

LLSix posted:

According to the hit documentary Swordfish, this is actually how computer viruses are made.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
^^^ probably my favorite movie scene featuring programming. I think what I do is pretty boring to look at, I like movies that just make poo poo up and make it look exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

lifg posted:

^^^ probably my favorite movie scene featuring programming. I think what I do is pretty boring to look at, I like movies that just make poo poo up and make it look exciting.

I just watched Mr Robot for the first time a few months back and I really enjoyed how there’s a lot of scenes of people just sitting there and typing stuff into a command line/vim, and it’s looks as boring as it does irl. Basically the opposite of Swordfish.