Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Augus posted:

is smiling friends anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3tRtML4LE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Is being Italian an anime

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Is being Italian an anime

Uh, duh! Ever seen "Porco Rosso"? I rest my case.

\/\/\/that too\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:16 on May 13, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't care what the haters say. The more Italian Jojo is the better it gets.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Like everything else in Italy JoJo gets better when it turns American

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HerraS posted:

Like everything else in Italy JoJo gets better when it turns American

I mean, you say that now but wait until the series introduces Signor Bunga-Bunga.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/PikefishPosts/status/1790064205422338102

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I mean Supernatural's last season was also particularly badly received by tumblr who kind of realized that they had been gay-baited for like 12 years for poo poo payoff.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Ytlaya posted:

Cowboy Bebop...Utena...none of this trash is as good as Valvrave the Liberator, the best anime ever made

This activated a long dormant neuron cluster that simply poked anime tie fighter, nanite vampire, ai ship wifiu, and it's weird mythic history intro. I watched like 3 episodes and dropped it why did this burn in so many neurons?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Barrel Cactaur posted:

This activated a long dormant neuron cluster that simply poked anime tie fighter, nanite vampire, ai ship wifiu, and it's weird mythic history intro. I watched like 3 episodes and dropped it why did this burn in so many neurons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zynxSanDBzg&t=48s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egYJt353__A

The pseudo-tie fighters owned. The part where the enemies come up with the strategy of "literally just mashing hot plates of metal into the Valvraves to take advantage of their overheating weakness" was great.

The lore of that show "almost makes sense." I don't think the show ever fully explains what's going on with the lady in the protagonist's Valvrave and her "brother" who Cain talks with. They're Magius, but for some reason they have their own appearances while other Magius just seem to be these pure energy lifeforms that take over peoples' bodies. Otherwise it's actually pretty coherent, though. Main character is turned into a sort of artificial Magius (he and all his classmates are basically genetically engineered to be "primed" for this), and he powers both his Valvrave and those of all his companions using Runes, base units of information he absorbs from other people when he bites them (the vampire thing is him - sometimes involuntarily - sourcing fuel for the mechs). Later we're shown how you can further empower the Valvrave by "over-using" Runes, which eats up all the information in your brain (your memories) and ultimately leaves you brain-dead.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I feel like anime dubs still basically suck but game dubs are pretty good.

FF16 apparently even has better voice acting in English than Japanese in all versions, I've seen Japanese people complain about it (probably related to but separate from the fact they recorded all the mocap in English and didn't even fix the lip sync for the Japanese version)

I thought the dubs in things like FF7 Remake and Dragon Quest 11 were really good personally

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ffxii dub had shakespearean dialogue and actual theater actors, which made it all the more jarring whenever vaan started speaking

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

January 6 Survivor posted:

I mean Supernatural's last season was also particularly badly received by tumblr who kind of realized that they had been gay-baited for like 12 years for poo poo payoff.

They weren't "gay-baited" for 12 years, they thought their incest headcanon was real. The show even made fun of them for it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
If I had a show where a huge amount of the fans were really into incest between the two main characters I'd probably put some baity poo poo in there for financial reasons

Apparently the apothecary diaries writer lady absolutely hates the main male romantic character Jinshi but her sister says she'll shiv her if she kills that guy off so she's stuck writing that guy. Sad stuff. The fans are the real authors...

Anyway it's amazing supernatural lasted so long. I remember my dad watching episodes of that when I was in middle school

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

If I had a show where a huge amount of the fans were really into incest between the two main characters I'd probably put some baity poo poo in there for financial reasons

Apparently the apothecary diaries writer lady absolutely hates the main male romantic character Jinshi but her sister says she'll shiv her if she kills that guy off so she's stuck writing that guy. Sad stuff. The fans are the real authors...

Thats loving hilarious

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They weren't "gay-baited" for 12 years, they thought their incest headcanon was real. The show even made fun of them for it.

I don't really know anything about the shipping on tumblr, but that poll is Castiel / Dean who aren't brothers. Maybe that's why it lost, lol.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

KomradeX posted:

Thats loving hilarious

https://peing.net/en/q/7b376a00-a281-45c6-b6b7-196f74628379

quote:

Q: Everyone loves Jinshi too much, so I think Maomao should go study abroad or something while Jinshi falls into despair, but what do you think?

A: I do that, and my sister will carry me in her arms while I'm sleeping and threaten to dangle me over the staircase, so that'll be difficult.

e: took the quote and translation from https://www.reddit.com/r/KusuriyaNoHitorigoto/comments/18svlei/does_the_author_really_hate_jinshi/ fyi. Translation is accurate though

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 01:44 on May 14, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

Anyway it's amazing supernatural lasted so long. I remember my dad watching episodes of that when I was in middle school

Yeah, nah. You don't get to shiv your main dude. That's not what he's for

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Supernatural is a show with fanart that shows one of the characters tied naked to a pole with his dick and balls shoved through a meat grinder. The internet has informed me that this is more the norm than the exception for Supernatural fanart.

Supernatural fans are very very VERY hosed in the head.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

finally, the righteous force of yuri conquers the wicked fujoshi hordes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how that poll misspells Miorine's name in two different ways. I only watched parts of the first season of the show and I know how to spell it!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Be gay
Do crimes
Fly Gundams

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

HELP, My Fujoshi Sister Won't Stop Ruining My Historical Mangas sounds like a 3 episode watch

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

lol, lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

Be gay
Do war crimes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Oldest Man posted:

HELP, My Fujoshi Sister Won't Stop Ruining My Historical Mangas sounds like a 3 episode watch

the sister is right.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Lamb President deserves a 2nd term

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanojo_ga_Suki_na_Mono_wa_Homo_de_Atte_Boku_de_wa_Nai

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gripweed posted:

1998 had Bubblegum Crisis
you gotta be making GBS threads me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

hey that doesnt sound like a madcap comedy of errors what the hell

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

did they really name an anime wind breaker

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Does Dungeon Meshi ever reveal some important detail to recontextualize that Shuro did not own Izutsumi as a slave? Like, his father bought her for money, they made her work for room and board, and Maizuru put a curse on her to prevent her from leaving?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

He's hot and moody

(Idk I'm an anime only)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Bro Dad posted:

did they really name an anime wind breaker

Yeah I laugh every time I see that title pop up. Real unfortunate name choice

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pitch posted:

Does Dungeon Meshi ever reveal some important detail to recontextualize that Shuro did not own Izutsumi as a slave? Like, his father bought her for money, they made her work for room and board, and Maizuru put a curse on her to prevent her from leaving?

No. You just have to accept the fact that this is how "servants" actually changed hands in feudal societies. Technically Shuro's retinue isn't his own, all of those girls were bought by his dad to be his companions. Most of the reason Shuro abandoned his retinue to go dungeon diving was to get out from under his father's shadow and learn how to take care of himself without the doting servitude of his bodyguards. That idea didn't work because Falin ended up taking care of him instead.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

I feel like anime dubs still basically suck but game dubs are pretty good.

I usually prefer whichever audio I hear when I'm first exposed to an anime. Is that weird?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I usually prefer whichever audio I hear when I'm first exposed to an anime. Is that weird?

Nah that makes sense

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
The more important question is why did Shuro keep all these girls around when clearly Tade is the optimal choice?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The more important question is why did Shuro keep all these girls around when clearly Tade is the optimal choice?

she's 6'5"

and 17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No. You just have to accept the fact that this is how "servants" actually changed hands in feudal societies. Technically Shuro's retinue isn't his own, all of those girls were bought by his dad to be his companions. Most of the reason Shuro abandoned his retinue to go dungeon diving was to get out from under his father's shadow and learn how to take care of himself without the doting servitude of his bodyguards. That idea didn't work because Falin ended up taking care of him instead.
Well the other girls clearly are clearly feudal servants but Izutsumi is the only one who clearly resents servitude but is compelled to obey on the threat of death.

edit: maybe servitude is implicitly on pain of death for all of them and only Izutsumi needs a concrete reminder idk. now we seen the violence inherent in the system.