Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kung fu jive posted:

Thanks y'all. Found all those settings. I played about four hours of Helldivers 2 and the monitor health indicator was yellow which threw me into an anxious fit. I shut it down and it did a refresh, and now it's back to green. That was the reason why I hustled my rear end to find this thread and ask about the monitor in general. It's been fine ever since. HDR 1000 is unbelievable. I can't believe this exists.

The "panel health" indicator is nothing but a simple timer. It will turn yellow after the panel is on for a cumulative four hours (even if you take breaks), and then it'll turn green again after it does a "Pixel Refresh" cycle, which can be either triggered manually in the "others" tab of the OSD, or can be triggered automatically once the monitor goes into standby. You can tell the monitor is doing a pixel refresh cycle when the power button is pulsing green.

That said, you really don't need to worry if the panel health indicator shows yellow. Since it's just a timer, it's not an actual measure of panel health (pretty bad name then, I guess). Your panel is just fine, and you can use it for longer than four hours at a time if you wish. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just use the monitor for as long as you like and let it enter standby once you're done with it. The only real consideration I'd give it is to not interrupt the pixel refresh if you notice the green light. Nothing bad will happen if you do, but it's good to let it run every now and then. And the other maintenance option is the "panel refresh" option, which is a process that takes a long time (hours? not sure) and is scheduled to run every 2,000 hours of cumulative usage. It should only be triggered manually if you've noticed some burn-in that the regular "pixel refresh" option isn't doing away with.

Incidentally, I have probably around 1200 - 1400 hours logged on my unit already without even the slightest hint of burn-in so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Saukkis posted:

You need to think what are the things you would like to be visible simultaneously, that determines how many monitors you want. I've used three monitors for couple decades and I would feel it as a huge annoyance if I had to manage with two. But I also haven't found enough need for a fourth monitor.

drat it stop making three monitors seem so appealing!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The "panel health" indicator is nothing but a simple timer. It will turn yellow after the panel is on for a cumulative four hours (even if you take breaks), and then it'll turn green again after it does a "Pixel Refresh" cycle, which can be either triggered manually in the "others" tab of the OSD, or can be triggered automatically once the monitor goes into standby. You can tell the monitor is doing a pixel refresh cycle when the power button is pulsing green.

That said, you really don't need to worry if the panel health indicator shows yellow. Since it's just a timer, it's not an actual measure of panel health (pretty bad name then, I guess). Your panel is just fine, and you can use it for longer than four hours at a time if you wish. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just use the monitor for as long as you like and let it enter standby once you're done with it. The only real consideration I'd give it is to not interrupt the pixel refresh if you notice the green light. Nothing bad will happen if you do, but it's good to let it run every now and then. And the other maintenance option is the "panel refresh" option, which is a process that takes a long time (hours? not sure) and is scheduled to run every 2,000 hours of cumulative usage. It should only be triggered manually if you've noticed some burn-in that the regular "pixel refresh" option isn't doing away with.

Incidentally, I have probably around 1200 - 1400 hours logged on my unit already without even the slightest hint of burn-in so far.

Thank you. This is good clarification. This monitor owns bones. I logged in to Apex Legends, a game from 2019 mind you, and the color contrast and overall presentation makes it look like a different game. I never factored the monitor into my upgrade plans in the past and I see now what I was missing out on. Thanks everyone for the advice and for calming my anxiety lol.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Out of curiosity, do you have any particular suites or recommended software for checking burn-in? So far my display has probably been used 80-90% for work due to this being the busiest time of year for me, and I've been trying the normal options (auto-hide taskbar, shifting app windows around every so often, black background, having it go to sleep quickly, etc.), but it'd be nice to be able to check for burn-in every so often.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is this “tandem OLED” tech in the new iPad Pros something that we might see in monitors? layering two OLED layers to let them have higher peak brightness as well as better wear under normal use (because each is running half as bright as they would be as the only layer) both sound like good things for PC displays, but idk what the cost is like

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

Out of curiosity, do you have any particular suites or recommended software for checking burn-in? So far my display has probably been used 80-90% for work due to this being the busiest time of year for me, and I've been trying the normal options (auto-hide taskbar, shifting app windows around every so often, black background, having it go to sleep quickly, etc.), but it'd be nice to be able to check for burn-in every so often.

I just look at 50% and 25% gray screens. The darker the gray, the easier it is to see. Just don't freak out if you notice some vertical streaking in a dark gray screen, that's fairly normal (though qd-oled doesn't have this as bad as woled). Do a pixel refresh cycle first to prevent any temporary image retention from showing up.

Subjunctive posted:

is this “tandem OLED” tech in the new iPad Pros something that we might see in monitors? layering two OLED layers to let them have higher peak brightness as well as better wear under normal use (because each is running half as bright as they would be as the only layer) both sound like good things for PC displays, but idk what the cost is like

I haven't read up on what this "tandem OLED" is. I just saw a poorly informed PC Gamer article about it, talking about how it wouldn't be useful to have bright screens on a PC monitor anyway (lol). It mentioned that there are two "panels" layered on top of each other? I'm not sure that was an accurate description, though. The thing is, OLED monitor and TV panels already have multiple layers of OLED material. I believe QD-OLED monitors have two or three layers of blue OLED? I'm not sure what's different about this. Maybe this is unique for AMOLED? But AMOLED phone panels have already been getting well over 1000 nits, so I dunno.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 10, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I haven't read up on what this "tandem OLED" is. I just saw a poorly informed PC Gamer article about it, talking about how it wouldn't be useful to have bright screens on a PC monitor anyway (lol). It mentioned that there are two "panels" layered on top of each other? I'm not sure that was an accurate description, though. The thing is, OLED monitor and TV panels already have multiple layers of OLED material. I believe QD-OLED monitors have two or three layers of blue OLED? I'm not sure what's different about this. Maybe this is unique for AMOLED? But AMOLED phone panels have already been getting well over 1000 nits, so I dunno.

yeah Tandem OLED is an LG thing, and it's in some Mercedes cars I think already, to get good enough full-display brightness for visibility in a glass box. full-screen 1000 and peak 1600 is plenty good for me too, I think

phone screens are definitely easier to make full-screen bright than a tablet-sized panel, but I didn't know that phone screens were able to do full-screen 1000 nits. I guess that's even more encouraging for its future in display tech

they're making a 17" foldable tablet with it too, huh: https://www.lgcorp.com/media/release/26809

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

yeah Tandem OLED is an LG thing, and it's in some Mercedes cars I think already, to get good enough full-display brightness for visibility in a glass box. full-screen 1000 and peak 1600 is plenty good for me too, I think

phone screens are definitely easier to make full-screen bright than a tablet-sized panel, but I didn't know that phone screens were able to do full-screen 1000 nits. I guess that's even more encouraging for its future in display tech

they're making a 17" foldable tablet with it too, huh: https://www.lgcorp.com/media/release/26809

I believe "Tandem OLED" is a generalized descriptor of technologies that several manufacturers utilize. I believe the iPad Pro display is using panels with equivalent specs from both LG and Samsung, though LG is the primary manufacturer since Samsung had some ramp-up issues (source)

I'm just not sure what's different about this approach compared to existing multi-layer OLED displays.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I believe "Tandem OLED" is a generalized descriptor of technologies that several manufacturers utilize. I believe the iPad Pro display is using panels with equivalent specs from both LG and Samsung, though LG is the primary manufacturer since Samsung had some ramp-up issues (source)

I'm just not sure what's different about this approach compared to existing multi-layer OLED displays.

yeah, what I've found is mostly from The Elec

quote:

Cupertino applied what the industry calls a hybrid OLED technology where a glass substrate is combined with encapsulation and attached to another glass substrate. The glass substrate at the bottom is 0.2mm thin, an ultra-thin substrate.

LG Display and Samsung Display, which supplies these panels to Apple, use Avatec and Chemtronics, respectively, for the etching of these ultra-thin substrates.

it's using some new "RDE" OLED material that LG developed but I guess was licensed to Samsung at least for making them for Apple. I think LG is makingboth sizes but Samsung only the 11"?

quote:

While Samsung Display is ahead in experience for LTPO TFT OLED panels, LG Display is ahead in expertise for two stack tandem OLED panels, where the panel has two emission layers. Apple’s new iPads will adopt both technologies.

The cost of manufacturing the panels will also play a role. LG Display is manufacturing the iPad OLED panels using its factory E6-4, which is operating for the first time. This means higher cost.

Samsung Display will use its existing A3 line which has already depreciated in value which means it will cost less to manufacture the OLED panels compared to LG Display’s.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Someone linked this in another thread, its pretty neat and we don't currently know exactly how apple overcame the limitations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3moprE5S3Qc&t=241s

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rawrbomb posted:

Someone linked this in another thread, its pretty neat and we don't currently know exactly how apple overcame the limitations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3moprE5S3Qc&t=241s

That’s a pretty good video, thank you!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I just bought the ASUS Tuf VG32UQA1A 32" 4k monitor and... I think I hosed up. The amount of smearing ingame is awful. Not sure what settings I can mess with to make it slightly more bearable.

I'm willing to give it a week to see if things get better but god drat first impressions are awful. It doesn't help that I keep comparing it to the only 4k reference I have, which is my Sony A80J. That seems far more crisp and clear. This monitor just seems blurry. Does anyone have any recommendations of settings I can tweak to fix smearing?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 9, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if anything helps it will be the overdrive setting, but VA panels are generally just like that

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Qubee posted:

I just bought the ASUS Tuf VG32UQA1A 32" 4k monitor and... I think I hosed up. The amount of smearing ingame is awful. Not sure what settings I can mess with to make it slightly more bearable.

I'm willing to give it a week to see if things get better but god drat first impressions are awful. It doesn't help that I keep comparing it to the only 4k reference I have, which is my A80J. That seems far more crisp and clear. This monitor just seems blurry. Does anyone have any recommendations of settings I can tweak to fix smearing?

Try enabling pixel overclocking/overdrive in the settings menu, but also VA panels are known to smear like this. I'd probably return it and get an IPS monitor instead

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pixel overdrive did indeed help. I'll call the store tomorrow and ask them what their return policy is. I live in the middle east though so I'm not holding out hope, the oligarchs run everything so I have a good feeling I'll get shafted.

I might ask to exchange it for the Asus Rog Strix XG32UQ 32". Any feedback on this monitor? Seems like it'll be a good fit for me.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 9, 2024

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Are oled monitors really that much of a pain and require so much babysitting? If so I'll be extra happy with my povo ips black display.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Qubee posted:

I might ask to exchange it for the Asus Rog Strix XG32UQ 32". Any feedback on this monitor? Seems like it'll be a good fit for me.

i don't know what the pricing situation is where you are but it looks unremarkable for how expensive it is, when something like the LG 32GR93U is 2/3rds of the price here

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm going to try my level best to get the Gigabyte M32U, it seems like it'd be perfect for me. I've only ever used IPS panels so the VA panel has really thrown me off.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

buffbus posted:

Are oled monitors really that much of a pain and require so much babysitting?

No not really.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I definitely burned in with my side by side browser windows on my 4k Alienware when I had that going for like 10 hours straight the first weekend I got it. The panel refresh left a faint very line that has faded now. I manually adjust window width during the day now.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've stopped worrying about burn in. I moved desktop icons off my main monitor, and have left the taskbar unhidden. I figure at least 25 percent of the time I'm watching full screen video or playing a full screen game, and my total desktop time is running around 40 hours or so a week. Have not noticed any temporary burn in at all.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

There are dozens of these for $80 or less. The term to search for is "portable monitor."

I imagine some cheapass random-name-generator chinese brand would get the job done: https://www.amazon.com/ZFTVNIE-Monitor-Portable-Firestick-Speakers/dp/B0C2V1KLRC/

For a terminal head, the low resolution is a feature (high dpi just means smaller text)

Oh my goodness it is a tiny little baby.

It fits perfectly, thank you for the suggestion!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It looks like I'm in the market for a secondary monitor, previously I've always gone for an upgrade and retired the old primary to be the new secondary, but since I'm now on a 34" I don't feel the need to do that.

Anyone got a standout suggestion for a 27" good enough screen? All I want it for is discord/forums/ perhaps the odd youtube, I really don't care about high contrast ect, and probably no higher resolution than 1080p. In the uk if that makes a diference.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

LRADIKAL posted:

I've stopped worrying about burn in. I moved desktop icons off my main monitor, and have left the taskbar unhidden. I figure at least 25 percent of the time I'm watching full screen video or playing a full screen game, and my total desktop time is running around 40 hours or so a week. Have not noticed any temporary burn in at all.

I have the faintest evidence of burn-in via a center vertical line on an all-dark screen after months (approaching a year+ I think shortly) due to running side by side windows on my Alienware AW3423DWF for work everyday. Even when I can see it it is hardly noticeable. Absolutely would not return due to this. Now I make sure one window is smaller than the other to avoid centering them completely. Disclaimer: I run the full 1-hour panel refresh at least 5 times a week, I aim to perform it daily.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My understanding is that the full panel refresh does a controlled burn to even out uneven subpixel wear. I've seen reports of reduced panel brightness after people ran this process on LG TVs with visible burn-in present, but I don't know whether this would happen or not on a panel with very little to no actual burn-in present, and I also don't know how Samsung's panel refresh process differs from LG's. But I would still strongly advise against doing it every day like that. At best, it doesn't help because there's no burn-in present to help with. At worst, such frequent refreshes may actually reduce panel lifespan and gradually dim your panel. Just run it on schedule or when you notice some burn-in like normal

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

My understanding is that the full panel refresh does a controlled burn to even out uneven subpixel wear. I've seen reports of reduced panel brightness after people ran this process on LG TVs with visible burn-in present, but I don't know whether this would happen or not on a panel with very little to no actual burn-in present, and I also don't know how Samsung's panel refresh process differs from LG's. But I would still strongly advise against doing it every day like that. At best, it doesn't help because there's no burn-in present to help with. At worst, such frequent refreshes may actually reduce panel lifespan and gradually dim your panel. Just run it on schedule or when you notice some burn-in like normal

I think the burn-in I already have seems "permanent" so I wanted to try to avoid any further damage by running that process daily. I was not sure exactly what it was doing so I appreciate the explanation there. Maybe I will stick with the pixel refresh on standby and run the panel refresh process weekly rather than daily. Either way I think burn-in is heavily overblown considering I don't hide my taskbar or change out of dual windows side-by-side for 8+ hours a day.

TargetShoplifter
May 13, 2024
back in the plasma days we used DPT exerciser to cycle pixels through colors for a few hours and it really helped with burn in, is this still relevant with OLED tech?

https://dps.uk.com/software/dpt/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TargetShoplifter posted:

back in the plasma days we used DPT exerciser to cycle pixels through colors for a few hours and it really helped with burn in, is this still relevant with OLED tech?

https://dps.uk.com/software/dpt/

Nope. OLED burn-in is caused by uneven degradation of the organic LED material itself, which is irreversible and occurs cumulatively through long-term use. The old CRT and Plasma tricks don't really apply to OLED. If it happens, the only thing you can do to fix it is run a refresh cycle on your panel.

edit: OLED can also experience temporary image retention, same as any other TFT-based display, and those types of color cyclers can sometimes help with that. Though the short compensation cycle OLED monitors come with are much better at combating that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 13, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I got a wild hair up my rear end and ordered an Alienware AW3225QF. So throw this review on the pile.

Good Stuff
  • Excellent image quality. Looks every bit as good as my LG OLED TV.
  • The monitor's styling isn't as abnoxious as I feared. From the front it's very PS5 like. The back would be nice too except for the giant LED Alienware logo and "32" for some reason. At least the lights can be turned off. I've seen worse gamer nonsense on monitors. (Looking at you Asus...)
  • No scratches on the screen. There was a very conspicuous layer of bubble wrap taped over the plastic on the screen.
Meh Stuff
  • I'm not feeling the curved screen. I don't hate it, but I don't think it's improving anything either. It's not really noticeable in games but it's kind of disorienting during regular desktop use. I'll keep it, but if I did end up returning it for some other reason I'd probably hold out for one of the flat QD-OLEDs to come in stock.
  • I wish it could rotate 90 degrees but maybe that's a big ask for a curved 32" monitor with a thin and delicate OLED panel.
  • Wish it could raise up a bit taller but that too might be a bad idea for a monitor this size.
Bad Stuff
Edit: Apparently a day later the monitor will try to install Alienware Command Center in the background without asking. You have to do this to stop it:

You need to disable this option if you want to prevent windows from automatically downloading and installing the Alienware Command Center, by the way:

The curved screen is the only part that gives me pause (edit: and the sneaky bloatware). Everything else is varying degrees of good and the image quality is excellent.

Now I'm off to play nothing but Balatro on this thing for the next week.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 15, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you mean that it can’t be rotated 90° on the stand, or is it also not possible to use a VESA mount at that angle?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean that it can’t be rotated 90° on the stand, or is it also not possible to use a VESA mount at that angle?

I mean the included stand isn't capable of it. It seems to have normal VESA mounting options so if you put it on a monitor arm I imagine there's nothing stopping you.

I guess I was just hypothesizing as to why that feature was missing from a monitor that otherwise seems to have a lot of effort put into it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Why are the flat screen 4k oleds unobtainium? Is there another resource shortage going on?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

Why are the flat screen 4k oleds unobtainium? Is there another resource shortage going on?

It's not quite a resource shortage. The reasons are complicated, but the short of it is that manufacturing capacity is limited and the panels themselves aren't in terribly high supply. And Dell seems to have a favorable agreement with Samsung Display that gives them priority on new QD-OLED panels, with everyone else falling behind.

Samsung Display has been very slow to expand their QD-OLED manufacturing capacity, and some think they may not be committed to the tech in the long term. https://www.oled-info.com/will-samsung-decide-abandon-its-qd-oled-technology

LG Display's competing WOLED panels are taking a while to come to market, but LG already has their model available and models from other manufacturers are coming soon. Though at $1399, the LG model is a bit difficult to recommend over the QD-OLED models.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2024

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My PG32UCDM shipped right when all the ASUS boycotting started based off the Gamer's Nexus ROG Ally RMA video. Hope I don't get screwed!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry, can someone quote that post explaining how to keep Dell Alienware monitors from installing that lovely RGB software without your permission?

Edit: This was it. What a nasty little surprise that was.

You need to disable this option if you want to prevent windows from automatically downloading and installing the Alienware Command Center, by the way:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 15, 2024

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I can't remember but I feel like I may have deliberately made a change to my settings somewhere that is now causing a video on my second monitor to stutter terribly when I have a full screen game on my second monitor. It's Windows 11, a 3080, and my main monitor is a AW3423DWF on the latest firmware. I recently reinstalled Windows so I had to redo a number of settings. It didn't used to do this. Any ideas?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

wash bucket posted:

Sorry, can someone quote that post explaining how to keep Dell Alienware monitors from installing that lovely RGB software without your permission?

Edit: This was it. What a nasty little surprise that was.

ha, just a little vindication for me since that's always one of the first things I turn off when I reinstall Windows

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I’ve never had to before but I also haven’t bought Dell products in decades. Seems they’re still the same old Dell.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

I can't remember but I feel like I may have deliberately made a change to my settings somewhere that is now causing a video on my second monitor to stutter terribly when I have a full screen game on my second monitor. It's Windows 11, a 3080, and my main monitor is a AW3423DWF on the latest firmware. I recently reinstalled Windows so I had to redo a number of settings. It didn't used to do this. Any ideas?

Try disabling this setting in the windows "default graphics settings" menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Try disabling this setting in the windows "default graphics settings" menu?

That seemed to work, but then I flipped it back and it still seems ok. Not sure what's up then. I should add that when the game on the main monitor is out of focus, it also gets a frame rate cap it looks like.