Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm heartbroken that they banned Attractions in Legacy. They're fun to play with and none of them are powerful, but some whining grognards don't like seeing weird cards in their Legacy games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Chamale posted:

I'm heartbroken that they banned Attractions in Legacy. They're fun to play with and none of them are powerful, but some whining grognards don't like seeing weird cards in their Legacy games.

Are Attractions like Stickers where you have to do a bunch of pre-game stuff? I've never played with or against them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

fadam posted:

Are Attractions like Stickers where you have to do a bunch of pre-game stuff? I've never played with or against them.

Nothing pregame necessarily, but they have their own graveyard and deck (they don't go into your hand). You also roll a die during your main phase to see if you visit your attraction. You also have to track "tickets" which are technically just counters.

But there are Attractions with Sticker interaction which is probably why it got banned as well.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The Defector had an interesting-ish article that includes an interview with Richard Garfield: https://defector.com/the-creator-of-magic-the-gathering-knows-exactly-where-it-all-went-wrong

It was definitely a bit "old man yells at cloud" at times but some points were valid or at least interesting. Also it has this crazy little tidbit out of nowhere:

quote:

Wizards was also a “big horny summer camp,” suffused in a lumbering ‘90s earnestness and sex positivity, which sometimes jeopardized the company. After Gen Con ‘94, for example, Adkison and a group of employees played a game of Truth or Swill at an employee retreat, listing off who they had hosed and wanted to gently caress next, triggering an HR firestorm.

This is also my hearty recommendation to subscribe to The Defector because it rules.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The Defector had an interesting-ish article that includes an interview with Richard Garfield: https://defector.com/the-creator-of-magic-the-gathering-knows-exactly-where-it-all-went-wrong

It was definitely a bit "old man yells at cloud" at times but some points were valid or at least interesting. Also it has this crazy little tidbit out of nowhere:

This is also my hearty recommendation to subscribe to The Defector because it rules.

WOTC was basically one big polycule at inception, yeah.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

Nothing pregame necessarily, but they have their own graveyard and deck (they don't go into your hand). You also roll a die during your main phase to see if you visit your attraction. You also have to track "tickets" which are technically just counters.

But there are Attractions with Sticker interaction which is probably why it got banned as well.

The B&R announcement points towards Attractions being banned for their own sake, not just because they interact with stickers.

quote:

________ Goblin has become a reasonable card to play in Legacy, and that's leading to some awkwardness in tournaments. Not only do Goblins players need to create and bring a sticker deck, many decks that feature clones such as Phyrexian Metamorph feel obligated to bring sticker decks on the off-chance they're able to copy ________ Goblin . Players must present these decks at the start of every match regardless of whether they have any cards in their deck that can interact with them.

This applies just as much to creatures that care about Attractions as it does to creatures that care about Stickers!

If, for whatever reason, Deadbeat Attendant became played in Legacy, then any deck that runs Phyrexian Metamorph would be losing out on equity by not also including a ten card Attraction deck in case they copy Deadbeat Attendant, and then they'd have to present that deck every match, etc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Frankly cards that create extra zones and decks to manage can gently caress off

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does karn count in this?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bummer about Unfinity and the legacy player Attractions were a cool idea and something that's missing from Magics land system conceptually. Still got my Most Dangerous Gamer deck at least.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dr. Stab posted:

Does karn count in this?

Dude can just gently caress off in general.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are a ton of cards that have, "Cards Exiled By CARDNAME" which create their own extra zones. Also this was suppose to be an Un-set so I guess they never thought it would be played in Constructed.

Anyways.. who wants new cards

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Jesus, all of MH3 is going to be leaked by the time actual content creator previews go up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

This is how sets leaked on MTGSalvation for like, 10+ years of Magic, so it's funny to see people going "wow so many leaks the whole set is gonna get leaked" about it since it really doesn't happen much anymore (and last time it did the Pinkertons were involved).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good. They should just send an email out with a full list of cards once they're printed and shipping out anywhere.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I do feel kind of bad for the content creators who had their cards leak early before they got to make their videos for them.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I still wish they would pick a set to not do any leaks/spoilers and just have people show up blind to the pre-release and figure it out in real time.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still wish they would pick a set to not do any leaks/spoilers and just have people show up blind to the pre-release and figure it out in real time.

Previews serve a lot of purpose for marketing tho. Retailers need to know if the set is any good before they place orders.

Not having previews is like a movie or game not doing reviews before release.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

How do you envisage cards are distributed for this set?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

WOTC was basically one big polycule at inception, yeah.

Salon did a couple articles about this a while back.

https://www.salon.com/2001/03/23/wizards/

(Over twenty years ago? Pardon me while I crumble to dust.)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

WOTC getting in on the spoiler action
https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/pinfinity-fnm-upgrade-kit-reveals-possible-jace-the-mind-sculptor-in-bloomburrow/

A Friday Night Magic upgrade available to Wizards Play Network (WPN) stores offered players a glimpse at a possible version of Jace, the Mind Sculptor that could be coming in Bloomburrow this fall.

The Bloomburrow Exclusive FNM kit from Pinfinity includes six AR-enhanced pins and two full-sized metal Commander tokens. There will be two unique augmented reality pins (three for each) with the anthropomorphized Fox version of Jace appearing on one of the pins.

The WPN article announcing the kit was originally posted with a short video showing the pin when viewed through the Pinfinity app that provides animations and audio tracks to its AR-enhanced pins. The video was removed shortly after the article was published, but you can see the pin before its animation was activated and after (above).

The animation continued, removing the pin and replacing it with an animated version of Jace, the Mind Sculptor that looks similar to an illustration from the Bloomburrow first look article from Daily MTG.

The article from Daily MTG states there is a special showcase treatment in Bloomburrow called Imagine: Courageous Critters that depicts renowned planeswalkers and creatures were they to visit the plane.

image is small but its basically the jace the mind sculptor as a fox character that was announced.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Balon posted:

Previews serve a lot of purpose for marketing tho. Retailers need to know if the set is any good before they place orders.

I know, it would be cool, and the secrecy would generate its own buzz. I am not in marketing.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

How do you envisage cards are distributed for this set?

In sealed packs like anything else.

e: I do recognize this is logistically and financially unfeasible, probably. Compromise: hold off on spoilers until you can do a select few sealed events with some high profile streamers, pros, etc and broadcast the whole thing from opening to discussion to gameplay.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Strong Sauce posted:

image is small but its basically the jace the mind sculptor as a fox character that was announced.

You can't shuffle a pin :confused:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

You can't shuffle a pin :confused:

But you can convince idiots that they’re worth a ton of money, which is basically wotc’s business model.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Balon posted:

This sounds lovely.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Loucks posted:

But you can convince idiots that they’re worth a ton of money, which is basically wotc’s business model.

They've been doing these pins since like War of the Spark, they've never really been a big deal.

I believe another card was spoiled because of these pins at one point.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I'd rather OBM have been banned in Legacy since that's such a format warping card.

Shame they couldn't figure out a better way to handle sticker Goblin. Would be nice if they printed an errata'd version at least.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Salvor_Hardin posted:

that was the mystery boosters they did for conventions, with the test cards being a complete surprise

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh baby. maybe I'll need to give the ol' charbelcher a whirl

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Khanstant posted:

This sounds lovely.

But usually bodes poorly for the media in question.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I know, it would be cool, and the secrecy would generate its own buzz. I am not in marketing.

In sealed packs like anything else.

e: I do recognize this is logistically and financially unfeasible, probably. Compromise: hold off on spoilers until you can do a select few sealed events with some high profile streamers, pros, etc and broadcast the whole thing from opening to discussion to gameplay.

How do they pick a set not to do any leaks for

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of the complaints about stickers and attractions basically just boil down to a big ol' "skill issue". Now we've lost a bunch of interesting stuff because so-called pro players can't handle having a few extra cards in their deck boxes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I feel like I'm going insane, wasn't everyone in this thread loudly saying how awful Mind Goblin and stickers are because of how it works in MTGO etc. like, a month ago?
Why are so many people now going "NOOOOO, WIZARDS, YOU RUINED LEGACY BY GETTING RID OF STICKERS AND ATTRACTIONS NOOOO?"

They shouldn't have ever been legal for competitive play, they forced people to engage with an annoying mechanic even if they didn't include that mechanic in their deck (Metalmorph is the example they use). They were badly designed.
You're extremely silly if you think it's bad they got rid of these.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 14, 2024

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fajita Queen posted:

All of the complaints about stickers and attractions basically just boil down to a big ol' "skill issue". Now we've lost a bunch of interesting stuff because so-called pro players can't handle having a few extra cards in their deck boxes.

We lost stuff, but none of it was interesting, good riddance.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

Imagine spending 3k on your legacy deck only for it to be unplayable. I proxied the city of traitors , but a non-trivial amount of paper players just flipped the table.

Maybe wotc will bail them out by printing a similar card in MH3 (at mythic rare of course)

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

GonSmithe posted:

I feel like I'm going insane, wasn't everyone in this thread loudly saying how awful Mind Goblin is because of how it works in MTGO etc. like, two weeks ago?
Why are so many people now going "NOOOOO, WIZARDS, YOU RUINED LEGACY BY GETTING RID OF STICKERS AND ATTRACTIONS NOOOO?"

Is it the same people that said both things? I just see a handful of people disappointed.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
a good joke would be if they put name sticker goblin in mh4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Just caught the ban list update. Eh, not going to miss stickers/attractions but they weren't the worst thing in the world. If they print name sticker in a future set then whatever.

quote:

there's no existing way to make a bunch of cards legal in Commander and not Legacy.

Found it funny they said this in a ban list announcement. The ban list is right there!! Or say commander product isn't for legacy, they can do this, they control the formats.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Chamale posted:

they're not banned because of the strawmen legacy players you invented in your mind, they're banned because of the reasons stated in the article: wotc never intended for any of the sticker or attraction cards to see legacy/vintage tournament play, but they wanted the cards to be available in commander; the way they chose to facilitate these things was to balance the cards such that they weren't powerful enough to see real play. wotc themselves did not want people to play with attractions and stickers in a tournament setting. also, they probably underestimated the amount of dev time required to implement them in mtgo and they don't want paper eternal formats to differ wildly from online eternal formats (see also the wh 40k snafu).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How do they pick a set not to do any leaks for

The next special draft conspiracy set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's still weird they didn't just say "all these cards are preemptively banned in Legacy/Vintage" from the get go. Or use the supplementary products like that 'Unsanctioned' board game box set to publish explicit silver-border-that-actually-work cards with acorns.

As someone that likes Un-set's, almost feel bad that they screwed the pooch so bad after the touchdown set that was Unstable. From Blogatog, sounds like Unifinity was so poorly received there's not much energy for another one. If the pattern holds, at least the next one should be great and also publish around 2035.