Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rollick posted:

The first generation of kids to not know Peter Lorre as a little weird creep in cartoons

I wonder what celebrity impressions in current shows will outlive their inspiration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

What impressions are even current? Hell, who is even really well known for having a decent impression portfolio now that, idk, Bill Hader has been off SNL for years now? I’m so out of the loop now that I have no idea anymore.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder what celebrity impressions in current shows will outlive their inspiration

I bet they'll be giving big muscly guys Schwarzenegger's voice for a long while.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

root beer posted:

What impressions are even current? Hell, who is even really well known for having a decent impression portfolio now that, idk, Bill Hader has been off SNL for years now? I’m so out of the loop now that I have no idea anymore.
SNL's current Trump guy, James Austin Johnson. He's got the voice down cold.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Jaime Foxx is insanely good at impressions but he’s also like 55 or something

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

SNL's current Trump guy, James Austin Johnson. He's got the voice down cold.

Good call, his version of Trump (from his guest spots on Comedy Bang Bang anyway) is one from a parallel universe I’d rather be in, where he’s just mildly unhinged rather than the crime elemental that he is in this darkest of timelines

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

TK-42-1 posted:

Jaime Foxx is insanely good at impressions but he’s also like 55 or something

Yeah Jaime Foxx is stunning when it comes to impressions. His Trump is impossible to distinguish from the real thing.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Baron von Eevl posted:

You can "sing" the verses to Johnny Cash's Drive On to The Monster Mash.
You can sing 'Imagine' to the Muppets' theme....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkyHpjkZIXo&t=3987s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You dorks, you can sing anything to the tune of anything.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

credburn posted:

Someone has never heard me try to sing :colbert:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Star Spangled Bologna

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I feel like a lot of the reruns and rereleases of the past, which helped to bring older media/pop culture into the current zeitgeist, don't really happen like they used to. Like yeah the old shows and stuff are on streaming but they're usually difficult to find unless you're looking for a specific one that you already know about.

The paradigm of 3 TV networks each showing one thing at a given time was a unique force in pop culture (in the USA) from roughly the 50s to the end of the 90s. Reruns of that stuff were in constant circulation, and older theatrical shorts were basically just untapped reserves of pop culture waiting for TV to arrive. In fact I'm guessing theatrical stuff had a bit of a longer tail because of the obvious disparity in production values. But I think the combination of the Internet and rapid advances in digital production really just blew that whole thing up. I'm not sure anything like that will happen again, and it feels like a huge shift to a lot of us, but in the grand scheme of things it might not be such a change for humanity.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

- any goon ever, before posting parody song lyrics

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

- any goon ever, before posting parody song lyrics

Oh hey wow this fits the Ninja Turtles tune really well !

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When Blade was released, I remember thinking that I was really familiar with the character and his boomerang because I'd played the NES game. But then I discovered there never was a Blade NES game. So for years and years I'd had this weird hiccup in my memory where I was sure I knew who Blade was and it was definitely because I played the video game about Blade and his boomerang.

Anyway, while just randomly looking at stuff, I discovered Power Blade, an NES platformer about a guy with a boomerang that I must have thought was Blade!

Little kid credburn thought they were the same :shrug:

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:01 on May 13, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I always assumed "Cleopatra" was an Egyptian name. It even ends in "Ra"! But of course her ancestors were Macedonian conquerors, and her name is Greek for "glory to the fatherland"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Reminded me of some more Cleopatra FactsTM
from a while ago that I found pretty entertaining.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I listened to a lecture series on ancient Egypt a bit ago and was entertained to find out how many Cleopatras there were. Cleopatras were just all over the place back then, up to and including including the famous Cleopatra's sister, Cleopatra.

Unreal_One posted:

This is disputed! Some think that Cleopatra's sister Cleopatra was actually her mother Cleopatra, who may or may not be the Cleopatra married to her predecessor.

Also the fact that she was so unegyptian that she was very possibly a curly haired redhead.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean yeah.

The original Cleopatra for which all the Egyptian Cleopatra's were probably named was Alexander the Great's sister.

She was even supposed to marry Ptolemy, one of Alexander's generals and the ancestor of the famous Cleopatra, but was assassinated before they could tie the knot.

The dynasty eventually went so fully native that they made sure their family tree was more of a family pole which paradoxically helped maintain their Greekness.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I just realized I don't know a drat thing about Cleopatra like, at all. She was some lady who had something to do with Egypt and that's about all I know.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sir Lemming posted:

I just realized I don't know a drat thing about Cleopatra like, at all. She was some lady who had something to do with Egypt and that's about all I know.

She was the last ruler of an independent Egypt, after which it became a Roman province. And iirc didn't become independent again until after ...WW1, I think? Maybe WW2?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

She had a magnificent nose. (Source: Asterix)

e: Also, on-topic: we have a composter.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 07:25 on May 14, 2024

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Hyperlynx posted:

She was the last ruler of an independent Egypt, after which it became a Roman province. And iirc didn't become independent again until after ...WW1, I think? Maybe WW2?

It goes longer: the British occupied it into the 50s

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's kind of amazing how long the Ottoman Empire lasted, and how recently it just stopped existing and was broken up. It was only dissolved at the end of WW1, but had existed since 1299 (says Wikipedia). A heck of a lot of ancient places got conquered by their also ancient enemies, then by the Ottomans, then only became independent again some time after the Ottoman Empire left the picture. Within living memory, just about! (Well, definitely in the case of Egypt). Egypt, Greece, the various nations of the Middle East...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Within living memory, just about!

It's weird to think about how many countries that are now "democracies" were still dictatorships in the 1970s. Spain, Greece, South Korea, what else?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hyperlynx posted:

It's kind of amazing how long the Ottoman Empire lasted, and how recently it just stopped existing and was broken up. It was only dissolved at the end of WW1, but had existed since 1299 (says Wikipedia). A heck of a lot of ancient places got conquered by their also ancient enemies, then by the Ottomans, then only became independent again some time after the Ottoman Empire left the picture. Within living memory, just about! (Well, definitely in the case of Egypt). Egypt, Greece, the various nations of the Middle East...

As the Ottomans fought the Anzacs in WW1 and Byzantium back in the day, New Zealand and the Roman Empire had a common enemy

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
and as a victor in that war the Anzac powers have inherited the mantle of Rome.

Russia can suck it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's weird to think about how many countries that are now "democracies" were still dictatorships in the 1970s. Spain, Greece, South Korea, what else?

Brasil until 1985

yes, yes, username/post combo

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Also Portugal

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

thatbastardken posted:

and as a victor in that war the Anzac powers have inherited the mantle of Rome.

Russia can suck it.

It's funny how people seem to gloss over the ANZAC campaign against the Ottoman Empire being a total disaster. Gallipoli was a loving mess. 10 months of making little progress, soaking up gunfire, and then evacuating.

And (I didn't know until I just looked it up) the ANZACs only made up 13% of the Entente forces there. Most were British.

So Australia's national founding myth is based on a battle that we didn't win, and didn't even really feature that prominently in.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

This too.

It makes me hopeful for the future.

Like, not the immediate future, the "next few hundred years" future. But still.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hyperlynx posted:

It's funny how people seem to gloss over the ANZAC campaign against the Ottoman Empire being a total disaster. Gallipoli was a loving mess. 10 months of making little progress, soaking up gunfire, and then evacuating.

And (I didn't know until I just looked it up) the ANZACs only made up 13% of the Entente forces there. Most were British.

So Australia's national founding myth is based on a battle that we didn't win, and didn't even really feature that prominently in.

Just like how Breaker Morant was a massive piece of poo poo who absolutely deserved a bullet to the head a dozen times over.

Just not for what they actually shot him for.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

Is the failure glossed over in Australia (and/or NZ)? From a Brit, I always got the impression that the foundational myth was that the ANZACs were sent to suffer and die in a futile and pointless operation by inept and uncaring British generals. And that the notion of Aus and NZ as independent nations rather than dominions was basically forged in the loss of thousands of Diggers at the call of the motherland.

Is it really seen as more of a heroic and worthwhile baptism of fire?

Certainly Gallipoli is not given a positive gloss in the British telling. Usually part of the 'lions led by donkeys' myth which is - rightly - being put to bed as a falsehood for WW1 general but holds true for much of Gallipoli. And as one of Churchill's many gently caress-ups of the time.

But yeah, a disaster on many levels. Arrogant planning on the assumption that the Ottomans would be a pushover, the attempt to force the Dardenelles with battleships which served only to alert the Turks to what was to come, terrible briefing and command during the initial landings so forces landed in the wrong place, attacks against Ottoman machine gun nest on top of steep cliffs above narrow beaches were pressed (with inevitable high casualties) while unopposed landings on deserted bays stopped at the top of the beach for lack of orders to advance further. Then once the lines had formed there were four pitched battles launched uphill against Ottoman defences which lost 16,000 men (per side) to try and capture one village that was originally a first-day objective and ended up gaining the Allies a small vineyard on the outskirts.

The only success was the the retreat and withdrawal, performed exactly as planned and without a single casualty, and so smoothly that the Ottomans didn't realise the Allies had left until the morning after.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just like how Breaker Morant was a massive piece of poo poo who absolutely deserved a bullet to the head a dozen times over.

Just not for what they actually shot him for.

Uh, didn't they convict him of summarily executing prisoners of war? I would say that, yes, you deserve a bullet for that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what I recall, it's less that he didn't deserve it than everyone was doing it and they used him as a scapegoat because he wasn't one of them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay, but that doesn't matter in the slightest, he was a criminal who 100% deserved his punishment, even if other criminals escaped theirs.

IIRC he was so obviously a piece of poo poo war criminal that even Australia officially stopped trying to rehabilitate him years back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Australian military doesn't use capital punishment on its troops.

The issue came from him being "unfairly" hauled in front of a British military court, where they did execute people. He should have been tried in an Australian military court and sentenced to life in prison.

He was an absolute monster and I'm not going to shed a tear for him, but he's used as a martyr to 'incompetent and cruel' British officers which was a whole thing people were pissed about back then.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:08 on May 14, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sure, but you need to come up with a better martyr than someone who is verifiably human garbage and actually guilty of the extremely serious war crimes he was convicted of. No one who isn't a hardcore Australian nationalist is going to sympathize with that in the slightest. If anything it makes me think more highly of the Brits, and this is the same war where they invented modern concentration camps.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

This Andy Capp guy

is a character licensed from a newspaper comic, not something created specifically as a snack food mascot.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

In the song "I Swear" by All 4 One, the line is "I'll love you with every beat of my heart", they're not just singing the word "bit" weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Dip Viscous posted:

This Andy Capp guy

is a character licensed from a newspaper comic, not something created specifically as a snack food mascot.

Are you aware of what kind of character he is? Oh boy I hope you aren’t and you read more about him