Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This, and Cohen is a weeny witness even by flipped collaborater standards

I’m a bit out of the loop from traveling, but wasn’t the plan to use him more as a way to get a bunch of damning documents/recordings in and any actual testimony is gravy? I’m blessedly a continent away from the news so maybe that’s not working out, the gently caress do I know, but I thought his lack of credibility was kind of built in, hence every prosecution witness freely making GBS threads on him from the stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

mdemone posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it.
Assuming you're talking about being on the receiving side, same.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m a bit out of the loop from traveling, but wasn’t the plan to use him more as a way to get a bunch of damning documents/recordings in and any actual testimony is gravy? I’m blessedly a continent away from the news so maybe that’s not working out, the gently caress do I know, but I thought his lack of credibility was kind of built in, hence every prosecution witness freely making GBS threads on him from the stand.

Thus far the prosecution has been following up any of his testimony with corroborating evidence. Cohen says he stopped recording because a call came in, boom here's the AT&T call log with time stamp.

They know he's compromised and might engender doubt in some jury members' minds, they're not leaving any room if they can help it. If Cohen says the sky is blue they're providing weather reports and photographs to corroborate it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

The prosecution seems to be doing a terrific job of making everything fit together very well and providing proof of everything. The interesting part will be the cross by the defense. That should happen tomorrow afternoon.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Deteriorata posted:

Even if he's found guilty on all 34 felonies, it's not going to stop him from being elected. You have unrealistic expectations.

I dunno, it might! If Comey's letter had an effect in 2016 then it's possible the low info brainlets could be swayed by a conviction.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Were there just not that many objections to the questions being asked, or were the people reporting on the trial leave the bulk of them out?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hannity keeps saying that "nobody can even say what the charges even are"

Falsifying business records.

So "FRAUD", Sean.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Randalor posted:

Were there just not that many objections to the questions being asked, or were the people reporting on the trial leave the bulk of them out?

Just viewing the same reporting that’s streaming out as everyone else, but there was some suggestion on one of the networks that objections were light and that the approach on cohens direct examination seemed much more relaxed than say Stormy Daniels’s. Though her testimony was a lot more salacious and free wheeling and apparently Cohen was mostly circumscribed and terse. At least for today. We’ll see about cross.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

BiggerBoat posted:

Hannity keeps saying that "nobody can even say what the charges even are"

I love how they pretend they don't understand how courts work.

Like, you can't file a lawsuit without specific charges. It's not as if the prosecution keeps everyone in suspense throughout the entire process.

And defense attorneys are just supposed to wing it?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The trump workaround for the gag order.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1790147403766452232

JD Vance was on his phone most of the time while others are denied use of theirs and then comes out and campaigns for Trump.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1790076978902516193

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 14, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
When you know you're on the side that completely does not give a poo poo whether or not you were at the trial to learn anything about it

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm a professional idiot and even I know you can't get around a gag order by just having your friends say the words you want to say. But they seem to be willing to give him a billion miles of rope so who knows.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm a professional idiot and even I know you can't get around a gag order by just having your friends say the words you want to say. But they seem to be willing to give him a billion miles of rope so who knows.

I guess it'd work if he got them to read their statements on the house/senate floors while in session. Interesting scenario really.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

This is a criminal trial. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is the standard.

Huh, mixed up my trials, there's just so many!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Push El Burrito posted:

Would the person speaking be punished as well as Trump? I mean, by the book.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Would the person speaking be punished as well as Trump? I mean, by the book.

By the book? It’s witness tampering.

But lol politicians so no.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

You almost certainly can get around a gag order in this way

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah there's no reasonable way to regulate public figures opining on a trial being covered in the media. Unless like, they catch Trump coercing/bribing them to do it. It's not even a socioeconomic or overly-permissive American free speech jurisprudence issue.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

You almost certainly can get around a gag order in this way

See the persuasive legal arguments as laid out in Brother V Sister, the foundation of the federal 'I'm not touching you' standard.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 14, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Push El Burrito posted:

I made a lateral career move from the dick sucking factory to the rope making factory and let me tell you business is booming

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fool of sound posted:

Yeah there's no reasonable way to regulate public figures opining on a trial being covered in the media. Unless like, they catch Trump coercing/bribing them to do it. It's not even a socioeconomic or overly-permissive American free speech jurisprudence issue.

I would argue that if they read a prepared statement from Trump that was provided to them by Trump and evidence shows that that was Trump's statement verbatim, then Trump might get in trouble for violating the gag order. But the evidence would need to be ironclad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So if the paper has obvious signs of greasy fingerprints?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
More if Trump admits to it unprompted in court. Which is... not unlikely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tesseraction posted:

So if the paper has obvious signs of greasy fingerprints?

Written in black sharpie with insane syntax is probably sufficient.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1790392518758334802

Spewwing all of Trumps talking points.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1790390995974234352

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1790420964154441774

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 14, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there any kind of law against the people running the country showing up at a trial to announce that the trial is a farce? That feels like it should be some form of interference that there are laws about, but I admit that it's possibly unprecedented.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there any kind of law against the people running the country showing up at a trial to announce that the trial is a farce? That feels like it should be some form of interference that there are laws about, but I admit that it's possibly unprecedented.

It's free speech

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1790451420707119515

e: Its a side track to show that Cohen is allowed to speak while Trump is not.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 14, 2024

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Cross going well so far:

quote:

We’re already having a sidebar after Blanche began his cross examination by raising two things Cohen has said about Trump’s lawyers during the trial.

quote:

We’re about 15 minutes into Trump attorney Todd Blanche’s cross-examination and prosecutor Susan Hoffinger has had at least half a dozen objections sustained.

There’s no rhythm here and it’s not clear where Blanche is going.

Also: Cohen is the last witness of the prosecution, defense might not call any witnesses at all.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 14, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DTurtle posted:

Cross going well so far:

Also: Cohen is the last witness of the prosecution, defense might not call any witnesses at all.

Sadly, this lawyer seems just good enough to know not to call Trump to the stand.

But if Trump did give evidence? Oh boy!

Caros
May 14, 2008

DTurtle posted:

Cross going well so far:

Makes sense, who would they call? Trump? You'd get a full 'you can't handle the truth' before he admits to 187 new felonies no one knew about.

If they are going for chud nullification, a case would barely help.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Deteriorata posted:

Even if he's found guilty on all 34 felonies, it's not going to stop him from being elected. You have unrealistic expectations.

I think you misunderstood me.

My point was is if there's a hung jury in this trial, another trial wouldnt happen til after the election with all of the legal bullshit they'd have to do. And if he won, you might as well forget it because even though they're state charges, good loving luck putting the most powerful man in the free world on trial.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I don't really understand how mistrials work and I'm not a lawyer so asking, if there is a mistrial, why judge Merchan isn't just able to call in a new pool of jurors on Monday and keep going? Is there some sort of mandated interim process before the next trial starts?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Jury dismissed until Thursday.
No trial on Friday because Trump will absolutely be at Barrons graduation.

Don has promised to 'test' his gag order.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1790485101966487881

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 14, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Like one out of every 10 updates CNN had on their live update page was "Trump laying back in his seat, eyes closed" or "Trump leaning forward with his chin on his chest, eyes closed, until his lawyer whispered something to him."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump's former lawyer Giuliani stumbles in bid to appeal defamation ruling

quote:

A U.S. bankruptcy judge on Tuesday rejected Rudy Giuliani's attempt to appeal a $148 million defamation judgment won by former Georgia election workers, saying Donald Trump's former lawyer should focus on his own stalled bankruptcy case.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Sean Lane agreed with creditors, including defamed election workers Wandrea "Shaye" Moss and her mother, Ruby Freeman, who complained that Giuliani had made no progress on selling his assets or resolving his debts.

Giuliani must move on from the "appeal or bust" approach that he has taken since filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in December, the judge said during a court hearing in White Plains, New York.

"I see it as an impediment to progress in the bankruptcy," Lane said of the proposed appeal.

Giuliani needs Lane's permission to appeal the defamation judgment because his Chapter 11 filing automatically stopped all litigation against him, including the case he lost.

Lane had previously allowed Giuliani to seek a new trial or challenge the size of the judgment awarded to Moss and Freeman, whom Giuliani had falsely accused of fraud after former Republican President Trump's defeat in the 2020 election. But after a federal judge rejected Giuliani's request in April, Lane ruled that the appeal should go no further.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OgNar posted:

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1790451420707119515

e: Its a side track to show that Cohen is allowed to speak while Trump is not.

Lol. This did not seem to go well

https://bsky.app/profile/mitchellepner.bsky.social/post/3kshybnu5x22m

quote:

One telling statement on the liveblogs of the cross of Michael Cohen is that the jurors are laughing at some of his answers in sympathy with Cohen, such as when he responded to the question, "You want to see Donald Trump in jail?" with "Yes."

Jurors laughing at prospect of client jailed = bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bad for Trump, hilarious for us.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I could be misremembering but isn't it also really bad to put a credible witness on the stand and have him point to your client and say how guilty he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Raenir Salazar posted:

I could be misremembering but isn't it also really bad to put a credible witness on the stand and have him point to your client and say how guilty he is?

I mean, he's kinda iffy on his credibility. He's been fairly recently convicted of perjury to congress, which is something they can bring up on cross to impeach his character even if those lies are entirely unrelated to this instant case.