Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

art of the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

a.lo posted:

my problem with bethesda's take on fallout as opposed to black isle's/obsidian's is that they're just too caught up on the Aesthetic™ of it. they try going so hard on the "50's retro futurism meets mad max" visual that they forget why that's the case in 1, 2, and new vegas.

the kitschy, 50's visuals are there not just to contrast the modern, post-apocalyptic landscape, it's there to contrast to how pre-war america operated. before the nukes fell, america was a totalitarian, military dictatorship that routinely engaged in human rights violations that wore the facade of idealized 50's suburbia. and 200 years later, it's the only thing that remains of its corpse. in new vegas, this part of the setting is acknowledged, but it's more concerned on the current culture of the mojave and a major theme of the game (if not the series) is how to build a new society that won't destroy itself like the one that came before (it's no coincidence some of the characters that cling harder to the past are more prone to have evil karma)

but to bethesda, there's no underlying point. the aesthetic is the point. here's a bunch of things related to nuka-cola, here's a quest where you play as a silver age-esque comic book character, here's group of people that treat power armour like 50's hot rods (and i have to admit, i actually think that's pretty cool), here's a door to door salesman but he's a ghoul, etc, etc. there's all this imagery and aesthetic choices but none of it seems to tie to any theme or actually try saying anything.

lolscientologists fallout 2: goofy references to demonstrate that the developers don't take themselves too seriously
toddbrained fallout 3: Liberty Prime football tossing nukes while spamming low-effort anticommunist slogans is the height of political commentary (actually no it's loving dumb)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:wrong: UnReal World is Iron Age

I'm not too big to admit I've been owned in the video games thread

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

This has been in my wishlist for a while, probably gonna pull the trigger soon.

Now they just need to do a remake for Wizardy 8..

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I hope it still has the shrine to fozzie bear from my profile

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

managed to tear myself away from cabaret club simulator to advance the Y0 story a bit, this poo poo owns, it's better than any bullshit godfather movie

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lib and let die posted:

managed to tear myself away from cabaret club simulator to advance the Y0 story a bit, this poo poo owns, it's better than any bullshit godfather movie

hell yeah keep going

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lib and let die posted:

:haibrow:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tachibana is the best character in the entire series IMO

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
not even top 20 dude

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
he's not even in the top 5 landlords

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

is Y0 better then goodfellas tho

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Popy posted:

is Y0 better then goodfellas tho

If it's better than Godfather than definitely

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

a.lo posted:

my problem with bethesda's take on fallout as opposed to black isle's/obsidian's is that they're just too caught up on the Aesthetic™ of it. they try going so hard on the "50's retro futurism meets mad max" visual that they forget why that's the case in 1, 2, and new vegas.

the kitschy, 50's visuals are there not just to contrast the modern, post-apocalyptic landscape, it's there to contrast to how pre-war america operated. before the nukes fell, america was a totalitarian, military dictatorship that routinely engaged in human rights violations that wore the facade of idealized 50's suburbia. and 200 years later, it's the only thing that remains of its corpse. in new vegas, this part of the setting is acknowledged, but it's more concerned on the current culture of the mojave and a major theme of the game (if not the series) is how to build a new society that won't destroy itself like the one that came before (it's no coincidence some of the characters that cling harder to the past are more prone to have evil karma)

but to bethesda, there's no underlying point. the aesthetic is the point. here's a bunch of things related to nuka-cola, here's a quest where you play as a silver age-esque comic book character, here's group of people that treat power armour like 50's hot rods (and i have to admit, i actually think that's pretty cool), here's a door to door salesman but he's a ghoul, etc, etc. there's all this imagery and aesthetic choices but none of it seems to tie to any theme or actually try saying anything.
counterpoint: the fallout 76 story seems to be what you get when you're given a->b guidelines and almost no oversight by the high-concept low-iq crew and while you rarely directly see the process, appalachia's background story and audio logs (remember system shock 2?) illustrate really well all the stops the US government pulled to put down the prevalent pre-war working class unrest. it's actually very good writing for a bethesda game. it's unfortunately hogtied to a bad live service/MMO model and most of the early content is sadly hamstrung by the stupid mandate that there were no non-robot NPCs in the original design.

e: i do realize how funny it is that the game with the best writing since morrowind will stop existing when BGS ceases to exist as a studio, and there's no way they're going to convert it into a singleplayer game under microsoft's current direction.

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 03:38 on May 15, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someday they will put out an offline version of that trash and I will play it for weeks

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I sunk too many hours into the Sims and Sims 2, but I stopped playing 3 at some point bc I think my interests changed. When I heard about Sims 4 and its crazy monetization, I just sighed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

not even top 20 dude

He's great. Only death in the series that moved me much aside from Aoki in Y7 (and that was more due to the impact on Ichiban).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

counterpoint: the fallout 76 story seems to be what you get when you're given a->b guidelines and almost no oversight by the high-concept low-iq crew and while you rarely directly see the process, appalachia's background story and audio logs (remember system shock 2?) illustrate really well all the stops the US government pulled to put down the prevalent pre-war working class unrest. it's actually very good writing for a bethesda game. it's unfortunately hogtied to a bad live service/MMO model and most of the early content is sadly hamstrung by the stupid mandate that there were no non-robot NPCs in the original design.

e: i do realize how funny it is that the game with the best writing since morrowind will stop existing when BGS ceases to exist as a studio, and there's no way they're going to convert it into a singleplayer game under microsoft's current direction.

you can kind of almost see the point of the original design of FO76 being an NPC-less environment as a sort of mainstream production of NV's Dust and FO4's Frost building on Bethesda's knack for environmental storytelling

it's just that the rest of the game released in such a poor state that the concept of it got buried under all the bugs

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

SirSamVimes posted:

anyone who doesn't honourably swordfight meta knight in every game he is present as a boss fight is a weak-rear end excuse of a gamer

In Forgotten Land you can steal his sword, which gives you the upgrade for free, and he pulls out his old NES era sword as backup

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

BRUTE-J triple lrenade launchers are the natural enemy of wing divers

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
the official pizza tower soundtrack is on apple music but the bomb rush cyberfunk soundtrack still is not

make it make sense

Fuckt Tupp has issued a correction as of 05:02 on May 15, 2024

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
dont get me wrong theyre both tied for #1 soundtrack of 2023 and this is the same year hi fi rush came out

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Hell yeah. EDF 6 comes out in the US in 2 months

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Someday they will put out an offline version of that trash and I will play it for weeks

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
wizards

always trying to pull some poo poo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
chrono ark is very, very anime but it's also really good. yeah another roguelike deckbuilder but the jrpg trappings are great. story's solid, characters and builds are fun as heck.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

a.lo posted:

Bethesda put two and two together and added a bit of that mid century americana pulp. If you think a game which starts off with the story of a mad scientist making orcs by dipping them in Tiberium is some deep critique of capitalism and americanism then you need to get your head checked. At best the critiques it has are in the same ballpark of X-files, a pitying cry at the end of history where americans get to feel nice and guilty after ending the world (metaphorically speaking)

silentsnack posted:

lolscientologists fallout 2: goofy references to demonstrate that the developers don't take themselves too seriously
toddbrained fallout 3: Liberty Prime football tossing nukes while spamming low-effort anticommunist slogans is the height of political commentary (actually no it's loving dumb)

I wonder what the epic anticommulism robot was used for in the actual game itself.

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 06:00 on May 15, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
in a lot of ways the tv show of all things does the best job of articulating the idea that "it's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tankbuster posted:

Bethesda put two and two together and added a bit of that mid century americana pulp. If you think a game which starts off with the story of a mad scientist making orcs by dipping them in Tiberium is some deep critique of capitalism and americanism then you need to get your head checked.

very generous for you to assume that Bethesda missing the political commentary implies the commentary was “deep”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

very generous for you to assume that Bethesda missing the political commentary implies the commentary was “deep”

It was

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

still thinking about the red mile, which is built up and sounds insanely cool, and then you get there and you walk across a field that has some annoying enemies and then have to walk back.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its way more difficult now with the survival mode options. But then you would have to play starfield.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Kinda funny that if it was voluntary I'm pretty sure you'd have people lining up for the chance to be Super Mutants. When you're past your physical prime and you've had any kids you want to have, you get to be huge and immortal and yoked and immune to half the poo poo the Wasteland can throw at you.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Lpzie, this game will test your schizophrenic skills and max out your mental capacity

looks good. i'll try it out another time tho. messing with this one

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny that if it was voluntary I'm pretty sure you'd have people lining up for the chance to be Super Mutants. When you're past your physical prime and you've had any kids you want to have, you get to be huge and immortal and yoked and immune to half the poo poo the Wasteland can throw at you.
one trick i think fallout 2 missed was not having super mutants idly chatting about "oh we absolutely could have done this poo poo better than the master by doing it this way" amongst themselves or to even the player character as a funny thought exercise

of course, super mutants were made in the setting to be a logical outcome of assorted US biolabs and that's that. considering US biolabs are a real life worldwide phenomenon, it also provides a means to keep super mutants in the setting if the fallout property owners get bored of the US and decide to show what's going on in the land formerly known as canada

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

V Rising rules, love building a spooky gothic castle then going on a hunt.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

They killed the rookie!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Baykin posted:

nearing the end of Eiyuden Chronicle finally. while im extremely happy that the game was made and that i played it, i think i'll have to say that its probably middle of the pack quality when compared to the other Suikoden games. imo Suikoden 2 and 3 are still the top of the pile.

as was mentioned when the game came out, the gameplay is pretty much just straight up Suikoden, with very little in the way of quality of life improvements that have happened for jrpgs over the years. however, the Suikoden games also were pretty ahead of the game in all that in the first place. not really requiring much if any boring grinding due to the way that experience scales, which ensures that unused party members (of the 72 potential combat recruits) almost instantly catch up to whatever the intended level is for an area within a couple battles. the menus are nice and snappy, not much pointless downtime waiting on loading for fights and such.

for the story, just very generally, i found it less engaging than most of the Suikoden games. the mythology of the True Runes was something that i was a big fan of, and the replacement of them with the similar Runelenses that have very little mythology is a bit of a disappointment. lacking that, the story focuses almost entirely on the more grounded political storyline which is fine, probably equivalent to the politics in the Suikoden games as well. its just fairly bland "form resistance army to fight evil empire".

the building of the homebase/town is quite a bit more filled out which is somewhat nice. but also feels like took a bit too much of an inspiration from mobile games with having to gather materials in the world to dump into menus to let you press a button to build your new additions.

the minigames that are present are a particular sorespot for a brokebrained completionist like me. they are some of the most boring and overly padded out minigames that i can remember.

all that being said, i still wanna reiterate that i still had fun with the game and enjoyed it overall. probably a solid 7/10 for me. i recommend Suikoden fans play it, but not at super high priority.

thanks for this. sounds a little disappointing, but about what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

lord help me there’s a space stardew valley clone coming out soon