Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I do a lot of northern pike removal for my job. I can verify they are loving gluttons and will bite things their mouth won't fit around all the way. Not only have I found them with surprisingly large native prey in their gut, I've caught natives up to 700 mm with pike bites on them that indicate a pike of about the same size.

Along with bass, they're one of the worst of the piscivorous invaders in the western US. If we ever have an introduction of flathead catfish out here, the native fishery will start to decline even faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Always polarized sunglasses fishing. I have had a bunch of the bigger brands (Native, Smith, Costa, Hobie (Costco usually has them cheap), Oakley) and have settled on Smith for the most part (never pay MSRP, always find a sale/coupon codes/etc. I snagged a pair of polarized chromapop Smith Longfins from Sierra for $60 last year, my favorite all around fishing sunglasses). There's no denying my glass lens Costas are better optically but they are heavy and don't fit my face very well.

I also recently gave into Instagram ads and tried out a pair of Glade Optics Westslopes and they are basically on par with Smiths. Honestly I think they are probably made in the same factory and use the same materials as they're very clearly trying to target the main Smith buying demographic with cycling/outdoors/fishing focused models. At $69 (cheaper with some promo codes or other deals) they are worth the money so far and a fraction of MSRP Smith costs. The only complaint I have with the Glades are they are a tiny bit loose on me, but I have a pretty small head. I might grab a pair with their photochromatic lenses too. Tifosi also has a bunch of polarized options under ~$70 too.

I wear sunglasses like 99.99% of the time when fishing not just because of the brightness and glare/visibility perspective, but hooks and other things flying around will inevitably hit me in the face, particularly when fly fishing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Polarization is such a ubiquitous thing that even most cheapos seem to have it now. I feel like you'd have to go specifically looking for non-polarized to find any, unless you're getting them off the rack at a gas station.

I have a fatass head, so only a few sunglasses will do. I love my Smith Transfer XLs with Chromapop. They're easily the best I've ever owned, plenty of wraparound with heavy temples but that don't screw with peripheral vision. Suncloud (the poor man's Smith) has a couple that fit me well, and their brown/amber polarized is good for lower light or cloudy days. Some Chilis (poor man's Sunclouds lol) are good too, I've got a pair of the sort of aviator styled metal frame ones with a smoke lens that I like for driving.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 13, 2024

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah that's fair but there is definitely a difference in comfort, clarity and color shift (whether desired or not) when it comes to some brands vs cheap ones. I haven't tried Goodr but they have polarized options for $25 and I feel like that's probably one of the lowest bang/buck choices there is.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh absolutely.
I exclusively used polarized glasses from the fishing section at walmart, usually Berkley, for years. They absolutely worked and I didn't care if they got broke or lost.
Then I finally treated myself to Smiths and committed to protecting them, and the fit, material quality, and optical quality is so much better than cheapos. Cheap polarization does the job but it looks patchy or rippled, enough that the entire lens has this effect of looking warped depending on what you're looking at.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a pair of plastic lens Smiths that I paid like $100 for and they are pretty nice but the Sunclouds my son has are just as good if not better for $50. Suncloud are the best reasonably priced sunglasses imo, great quality for the price and no big deal if you lose or break them.

I also have a pair of Maui Jim glass lens and they are awesome, the clarity is amazing, and with the new tech the glass lens glasses aren't nearly as heavy as they used to be.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I'm getting a new boat tomorrow, I've decided to get a Quintrex Renegade 440 with a side console. It's a little smaller than what I would ideally prefer but buying second hand you just have to take what you can get. They're a really good hull though, they handle chop like a much larger boat and they're very stable so it'll be fine for the offshore fishing I want to do. The main attraction is the motor which was recently installed and only has 30 hours on it. It's only 50hp, which is fine for a smaller boat and is pretty fuel efficient.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My skiff has a 9.9 on it :v:

I converted it to a 20 tho so it's not too bad now but before that it was a dog lol

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Speaking of boats, I've been wondering lately, are there any electric motors on the horizon? I know it would be a tall order to sell them to bass anglers or loud wake boat bros, but surely something is in the works for a consumer grade outboard engine replacement.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Y'all got any thoughts on medium priced wading boots for fly fishing? I need a new pair and not totally sure what to get, I've seen the simms freestone recommended as a good value option without being 'budget' if that makes sense.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Freestones are great, I've been using them for fieldwork for 14 years. I usually get about 4 years out of a pair. New ones last longer than older models.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Freestones are great, I've been using them for fieldwork for 14 years. I usually get about 4 years out of a pair. New ones last longer than older models.

Can confirm. Mine have been great the last two seasons in both salt and fresh.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Speaking of boats, I've been wondering lately, are there any electric motors on the horizon? I know it would be a tall order to sell them to bass anglers or loud wake boat bros, but surely something is in the works for a consumer grade outboard engine replacement.

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxaHT4oOQhgMVAl1HAR2rUQPiEAAYASAAEgIxUvD_BwE

Someone docked a few spaces up from me last summer had one of these and a bunch of batteries for it.

I'll try and get some pics if its there this year, but its still early in the season. I don't remember it showing up until later on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Cheap sunglasses do everything expensive sunglasses do these days. There just is no functional difference.

Saying that, if you wear something like sunglasses all the time and especially outdoors, getting a nice pair you can afford is VERY worth it. And for big head havers like myself, getting the right kind of sunglasses is so luxurious.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i have a giant head and will need new sunglasses soon, so i'm making a mental note of what other posters with giant heads like lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Southern Cassowary posted:

i have a giant head and will need new sunglasses soon, so i'm making a mental note of what other posters with giant heads like lol

I will send you to youtube again for the rabbit hole of what glasses to wear for large pumpkin heads. You have almost unlimited options of people who know what they are talking about that will tell you what styles in what brands feel/look good. Hell, they had like hundreds of hours just on fishing/outdoor brands in the big head sections.

I personally love my costa spearo xl. I bought them on sale and they were still expensive af. I have also worn cheapo sub 20 dollar sunglasses all my life at that point too.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

https://www.mercurymarine.com/us/en/engines/electric/avator
They're already a thing. If this was just a little bit bigger I'd be scrounging together a down payment.
https://www.veerboats.com/veer-v13.html

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

family member had a gheenoe like a decade ago, it was pretty sick. this reminds me of that in a good way.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
ty I'll pick up some freestones, my last boots were a little too small so I sold them when I moved recently and haven't picked up a new pair yet and have been jonsing to get out. Moved west coast to east coast so going to miss my big desert rivers like the Deschutes but looking forward to checking out the streams of new england.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Y'all got any thoughts on medium priced wading boots for fly fishing? I need a new pair and not totally sure what to get, I've seen the simms freestone recommended as a good value option without being 'budget' if that makes sense.

Freestones or G3 will probably do the trick, but beware that there’s a lot of controversy around Simms customer support of late.

I’d recommend rubber soles with cleats. Just use a dab aquaseal on the cleat threads and they last a pretty long time.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

waffle enthusiast posted:

beware that there’s a lot of controversy around Simms customer support of late.

what's the controversy

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Southern Cassowary posted:

what's the controversy

It is godawful. I deal with Simms a lot between orders and repairs. They have two people in their money department and it's a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll answer emails, fix your issues, or send invoices. Repairs happen when they get around to it, and you might get sent someone else's waders, repaired or unrepaired. It's gotten so bad that I don't even bother with their prodeal any more, I just buy from local shops and pay the markup so I don't have to be hassled with their bullshit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

waffle enthusiast posted:

Freestones or G3 will probably do the trick, but beware that there’s a lot of controversy around Simms customer support of late.

I’d recommend rubber soles with cleats. Just use a dab aquaseal on the cleat threads and they last a pretty long time.

I got some cheap bulk hex head sheet metal screws that have done exactly the job that the older Simms cleats used to do. Can't speak to their new ones, but I did notice when I was buying a pair of tributaries today that there are some super sharp machined cleats at the shop.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They exist but they seem fairly underpowered compared to ICE outboards and better suited to small craft like skiffs or kayaks. The other drawback is a Li battery big enough to power them for a decent trip costs about as much a new ICE outboard. Also I’d be pretty nervous of a huge Li battery fixed into the hull in case of a fire.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

gay picnic defence posted:

They exist but they seem fairly underpowered compared to ICE outboards and better suited to small craft like skiffs or kayaks. The other drawback is a Li battery big enough to power them for a decent trip costs about as much a new ICE outboard. Also I’d be pretty nervous of a huge Li battery fixed into the hull in case of a fire.
Just pull the drain plug and let the boat sink.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Then it's on fire and sunk at the same time!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If I've been told right, you need a shitload of water to out put a Tesla that's on fire. Sinking it would accomplish that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lithium batteries can burn under water apparently and you need a particular type of retardant to put them out.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I've been contemplating getting an inflatable with a trolling motor or smaller electric as the sole power source, and most of my money would definitely be in the batteries. As a sole power source, I'm going to want at least a 24-volt motor, and more likely a 36V if I want to even begin to approach the power of smaller gas motors. Newport, who's got all sorts of trolling motors on Amazon, is pushing a 36V they claim is 3HP for $1,100: https://newportvessels.com/products/nt300-electric-outboard-motor That's a big jump up from their most powerful 86lb 24V trolling motor at $300.

I'd also likely be purchasing a set of 12V batteries to run in series to get the necessary voltage. That way, I can also use them in 12V applications as necessary. From one of the heavier-advertising battery retailers that seems to make pretty well-sealed batteries, that starts at $1,100 for a 24V set of two batteries: https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-36v-54ah-deep-cycle-marine-trolling-motor-battery/ and $1,800 for a 36V set of three: https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota-lithium-36v-54ah-deep-cycle-marine-trolling-motor-battery/

And, since I'm spending the money, I'm probably actually going to go for the higher capacities anyway, and I'm also going to put them in battery boxes out of an abundance of caution. And that's all for a blow-up boat that still won't have as much power as even the cheapest available gas outboards. It's still an option to me because I'm currently driving a hatchback with no room for a folded-up boat AND a gas outboard, and I really don't want to deal with maintaining and storing a gas outboard right now. For most people who are going to take boating seriously, it still probably doesn't pencil out, even though more affordable motors are becoming available.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I run a 12v 55lb electric trolling motor from a $350 100AH lithium battery on my nucanoe and it works great. I got a third party prop for it designed for kayaks/canoes that gets a little bit of speed out of it over the stock prop.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If you dose a pond with a bunch of lithium the fish really chill out and you can catch them easy.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

If you dose a pond with a bunch of lithium the fish really chill out and you can catch them easy.

i'm so happy cuz today i found my friends

they're in my pond

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Dynamite is easier, just sayin

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Dynamite is easier, just sayin

Too disruptive. Real men Telephone their catch. Buy all the fancy bait you wanna but me and my electrofishing rig are gonna win all day every day.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I like to find new places to fish by looking for blue spots on Google maps. I found a pond pretty close to home that I havent tried yet and within 5 mins I caught this decent little bass.

This is pretty good for me normally I don't catch anything.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Had a good day not working in missourah. Caught 5 about all the same size

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I made sure the first fish in the new boat was a memorable one

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm an awful fisherman, so naturally I never got poo poo from my boat last year. Maybe this year.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

I'm an awful fisherman, so naturally I never got poo poo from my boat last year. Maybe this year.

It took forever to get our first fish when we got our boat, and the first one was a dinky little Jack so don't feel bad.

We have yet to catch any big fish from the boat that even come close to what we have caught from land, you think it would be the opposite :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If anyone is interested, please sign the petition to help restore the Everglades and keep Big Sugar from hoarding all the water. This is a big deal in Florida right now, we need all the help we can get!

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/d...source=hs_email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exU9ZAUVqoY