Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lucky & Wild came out in 1993, I'm pretty sure there were a decent amount of anime from the 80's that did the whole "police detective firing a gun while driving/trying to drive while their partner fires" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah I meant the character designs. Although "one buttoned down suit guy and one long haired wildman" is not unique to Tango and Cash either I guess. Just the first thing I thought of when I saw it because Tango and Cash is a good time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the modern persona games are riddled with in-game time limits that push you to complete dungeons as soon as they become available so you have more time to spend with your buddies and working part time jobs. the difficulty is your MP, you’re really limited and MP recovery items are really rare, so especially in early dungeons when you’re underleveled and have less tools a BIG part of the strategy is knowing when to press on and when to fall back and rest for the night to try again tomorrow.

persona 5 strikers pretends that it has the same system, and all the aesthetic elements are there - including the exact calendar that was in persona 5 - … but it doesn’t really matter. when you run out of MP you need to leave the dungeon for the real world and refresh your stamina, but… you always return to the day you left from and just keep plugging away at the dungeon until it’s done

this sounds like a good thing but in reality it’s just tedious as hell. returning to the real world puts you like three areas/loading screens away from going back into the dungeon, and it can be done from checkpoints that are just allllll loving over the place. you can access the velvet room from checkpoints, why can’t you just refresh your stamina and keep playing? unlike persona 5 there really isn’t anything to freaking DO outside of the dungeons, it’s a musou game at heart, but forcing you to jump back to the real world all the loving time really makes it stand out that there’s nothing else to do there anyway

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm playing Jedi Survivor on gamepass, and I have no idea how anyone's who's not a Jedi is supposed to get anywhere in this galaxy. Can't get to the break room without two wall runs, double-jumping up a cliff and using Force Push to operate the lever.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm playing Jedi Survivor on gamepass, and I have no idea how anyone's who's not a Jedi is supposed to get anywhere in this galaxy. Can't get to the break room without two wall runs, double-jumping up a cliff and using Force Push to operate the lever.

The Empire probably has an OHSA that keeps trying to put safety railings on the edge of walkways/landing platforms and regulations against bottomless pits in the middle of space stations, but those drat Jedis veto it every time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

It is funny how Cal never thinks to ask Bode if he can borrow his jetpack since it would make pretty much every area trivial.

The thing that is annoying me about the game is how buggy it is even a year after its release. Textures take forever to load, animations bug out and I even had the game crash once because it couldn't handle a real time cutscene in which a building exploded.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really liked the first Jedi game and been playing the second since it hit gamepass but it’s definitely inferior. As mentioned, it’s buggy, bad texture work and I’m having lots of audio issues. Technical stuff aside, I’m finding the locations much less interesting and really miss the personal dynamic from the first game that really seems to be missing from this one. Combat feels much less fluid and responsive and the overall platforming parts are really janky. I’m glad I didn’t actually buy the game

9/10

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

I really liked the first Jedi game and been playing the second since it hit gamepass but it’s definitely inferior. As mentioned, it’s buggy, bad texture work and I’m having lots of audio issues. Technical stuff aside, I’m finding the locations much less interesting and really miss the personal dynamic from the first game that really seems to be missing from this one. Combat feels much less fluid and responsive and the overall platforming parts are really janky. I’m glad I didn’t actually buy the game

9/10

more like

the first game, please!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I *finally* got around to giving Super Mario Land a try, since it landed in the Switch library, and I was not expecting its controls to feel so bad. I've seen enough videos on it to know it was a weird, kinda primitive offshoot for the series, but I don't remember anyone mentioning how squirrely it feels. There's no consistent momentum, and jump control feels all over the place - it doesn't feel fun to play even as a curiosity. I wasn't expecting a lot from it, but I thought it would at least hit OG Super Mario Bros' level, which is very basic but feels so much more playable.

Well, that's my gaming disappointment for the day. Take that, 35 year old game! :arghfist::reject:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
are you shittn' me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Super Mario Land is a great game. I used to blast through it on car trips all the time

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the physics are pretty wonky but the game owns and is probably the most thematic/creative Mario game in decades, you travel through the pyramids, the Galápagos Islands, Easter island and Japan and they all feel pretty unique and evocative for a launch game boy title

also the theme song is probably the best in the series

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Super Mario Land was actually my very first video game, on my blue Gameboy Pocket. :3: Though I beat Link's Awakening first cuz mario too hard

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Mario Land feels like a graphing calculator game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rockman Reserve posted:

:yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexyCYXoYHM

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rockman Reserve posted:

the modern persona games are riddled with in-game time limits that push you to complete dungeons as soon as they become available so you have more time to spend with your buddies and working part time jobs. the difficulty is your MP, you’re really limited and MP recovery items are really rare, so especially in early dungeons when you’re underleveled and have less tools a BIG part of the strategy is knowing when to press on and when to fall back and rest for the night to try again tomorrow.

persona 5 strikers pretends that it has the same system, and all the aesthetic elements are there - including the exact calendar that was in persona 5 - … but it doesn’t really matter. when you run out of MP you need to leave the dungeon for the real world and refresh your stamina, but… you always return to the day you left from and just keep plugging away at the dungeon until it’s done

this sounds like a good thing but in reality it’s just tedious as hell. returning to the real world puts you like three areas/loading screens away from going back into the dungeon, and it can be done from checkpoints that are just allllll loving over the place. you can access the velvet room from checkpoints, why can’t you just refresh your stamina and keep playing? unlike persona 5 there really isn’t anything to freaking DO outside of the dungeons, it’s a musou game at heart, but forcing you to jump back to the real world all the loving time really makes it stand out that there’s nothing else to do there anyway

The trick is to actually do it the opposite way: spend all the time with your friends then beat the dungeons at the literal last minute you can since you usually have infinite time to just grind and poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wait, I thought Super Mario Land was considered kinda bad, and Super Mario Land 2 was the good Gameboy Mario game?

Edit: Confession, I never owned an original Gameboy, despite being prime "Gameboy Age" having been born in '82.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 00:45 on May 17, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait, I thought Super Mario Land was considered kinda bad, and Super Mario Land 2 was the good Gameboy Mario game?

Anecdotally, it feels like opinion on it has turned around over the years, appreciating it for the weird & interesting stuff it did over criticizing it for being more technically limited.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was thinking of World my bad

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Theres only one Lego Undercover game and thats bringing me down

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Super Mario Land is quite cool and creative and has great music but Captain Hygiene is right, it just feels kinda poo poo to play when you're used to the smooth controls of SMB3/SMW/etc.

Hardcordion posted:

Mario Land feels like a graphing calculator game

I did have a version of Super Mario Land on my graphing calculator in high school. It was pretty bad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i always thought of Mario Land 1 and 2 having a sort of Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2 progression. like... both are good, but the first is kinda of weirdly sparse and lacks elements iconic to the series as a whole wheras the sequels are fully realized works of gaming brilliance firing on all cylinders

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rockman Reserve posted:

the physics are pretty wonky but the game owns and is probably the most thematic/creative Mario game in decades, you travel through the pyramids, the Galápagos Islands, Easter island and Japan and they all feel pretty unique and evocative for a launch game boy title

Favourite part of beating the game was the song that played at the end. So good

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

It's not really dragging the game down as much as just being representative of the quality, but
Fallout : Brotherhood of Steel's first mission requires you to find and kill 60 Radroaches in a rat infested warehouse, split up over 4 maps.
Even for the rpg standard rats in the basement quest, that's just excessive.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sally posted:

i always thought of Mario Land 1 and 2 having a sort of Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2 progression. like... both are good, but the first is kinda of weirdly sparse and lacks elements iconic to the series as a whole wheras the sequels are fully realized works of gaming brilliance firing on all cylinders

Super Mario Land 2 and Kirby's Dream Land 2 were basically the only games I ever had or played on Game Boy, I'm sure I played through time both a couple dozen times. I wonder which corner of my parents' attic they're hiding in...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Super Mario Land had fish skeleton enemies who jumped straight up and would just die if you stood over them, and kid me thought that was so funny.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I do like the look of the enemies. A lot of them have a goofy squished sprite for when you stomp on them, that manages to look disappointed as it falls off the screen. It's kind of charming in its own way.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hel posted:

It's not really dragging the game down as much as just being representative of the quality, but
Fallout : Brotherhood of Steel's first mission requires you to find and kill 60 Radroaches in a rat infested warehouse, split up over 4 maps.

Embarrassing after Fallout 2 gives you a straight-faced 'kill the rats' mission early on and whoops it turns out the rats are lead by a psychic mole rat mutant in the mines underneath the abandoned slums, gl!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Riatsala posted:

Embarrassing after Fallout 2 gives you a straight-faced 'kill the rats' mission early on and whoops it turns out the rats are lead by a psychic mole rat mutant in the mines underneath the abandoned slums, gl!

I am always a fan of games that take the standard "kill rats in the basement" and twist it into something much bigger

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Homeworld 3, the character design bugs me.

Imogen, your head is wired into a computer and you're floating in a water tank for some reason, for God's sake woman why do you have a full head of waist-length hair. And you had this hair style before you were even hooked in.

At least Karan shaved her head bald and kept it that way for her job.

Poor bastard in charge of replacing the drain filter in Imogen's tank has the worst job on the ship.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 18:37 on May 17, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Morpheus posted:

I am always a fan of games that take the standard "kill rats in the basement" and twist it into something much bigger

I didn't really care for The Bard's Tale (the 2000s one) but I remember laughing out loud when your first quest is to kill the rat in the basement, you do it in one single hit, and your character triumphantly holds his sword in the air and shouts "Quest complete!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Unreal series has a rocket launcher called the 8-ball launcher. It can only load up to 6 rockets or grenades at a time.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

credburn posted:

I didn't really care for The Bard's Tale (the 2000s one) but I remember laughing out loud when your first quest is to kill the rat in the basement, you do it in one single hit, and your character triumphantly holds his sword in the air and shouts "Quest complete!"

I remember someone did a LP of that game on here ages ago, it was a pretty entertaining read.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hel posted:

The game is just trying to protect you from itself.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bussamove posted:

The game is just trying to protect you from itself.

Yeah, I'm not going to be playing more of it. I brought it to a LAN party a few weeks back because people were claiming that FO76 was the worst Fallout game and I had an opportunity to prove them wrong. The water physics were bafflingly good, though I expect that's just directly from Dark Alliance.

Getting a steamdeck and loading it up with emulators has been an excellent way to expose my friends to interestingly bad/weird games at these events, and it's not always malicious, the No Experience Bushido Blade tournament I ran was a blast for everyone involved

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Fallout 76 is surprisingly fun if the base building from 4 didn't make you absolutely loathe the game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with every game that has you play as a Jedi is that the lightsaber is too strong of a weapon because in all rights it is either a one hit kill or will maim the opponent. Like your first fight with Dagan in Jedi Survivor he's literally not wearing a shirt and so him tanking hits just comes off as kind of goofy.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

A problem with every game that has you play as a Jedi is that the lightsaber is too strong of a weapon because in all rights it is either a one hit kill or will maim the opponent. Like your first fight with Dagan in Jedi Survivor he's literally not wearing a shirt and so him tanking hits just comes off as kind of goofy.

I always thought Vibroblades were a genius little work-around, because they were used by the non-force-sensitive and relied on martial training. Just a regular sword with a special electricity-powered energy vibration doohickey, and depending on the special add-ons you had, it could even block a lightsaber. They were also kinda dangerous for the user, because they relied on electric current, so you could get zapped by something electric and have it backfire on you (or just turn back into a regular sword.) It also made sense that you could have a strong melee weapon without stumbling over lightsaber after lightsaber.

It just always seemed a little bit goofy when Qui-Gon Jin and Obi-Wan literally slice through a spaceship's door using their lightsabers, and then in KOTOR you'd slap an unarmored person with a lightsaber for 30 seconds before they'd collapse on the ground, perfectly intact.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
look you were only getting glancing blows and when they finally fall is when the pain was too much or you finally got a deathblow in GOD DAMMIT THE HP IS AN ABSTRACTION :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hi-Fi Rush begins by telling you how important it is you don't save up your reverb, because it vanishes after battle. It tells you several times to use your reverb powers, don't waste it, make sure you use that reverb! But then at the end of the battle you get bonus points for your leftover reverb. So should I be using it or not, game???