Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Outright evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Thats how you know they're an American ally.
Instead of government goons in uniform blowing it up or having a tax man confiscate it due to improper paperwork, they see an organic manifestation of concerned private individuals throwing the tea into the harbour.
Criticism is uncouth, you don't want to limit free speech do you

Seeing a true rules lawyer get unleashed is morbidly fascinating

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Are there even any remotely decent people in this awful, lovely little country?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Mustang posted:

Yeah but they're being suppressed pretty hard at the moment.

e: I suppose that statement could be read as either grimly referring to the innocent Palestinian civilians getting blown up or the Israeli anti-war protesters but honestly either works

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mustang posted:

There's a minority. As of the last elections you had about 10% of Israelis voting for parties that wanted to treat Palestinians like human beings with rights. But they seem to get treated about as badly as the Palestinians by their own countrymen, Israeli journalists who report the "wrong" things get attacked by mobs, etc.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://thesoufancenter.org/intelbrief-2024-may-15/

IntelBrief: Continued Fighting in Gaza Amid Ongoing Ceasefire Talks

Bottom Line Up Front

IDF ground combat troops and Hamas militants have been engaging in close-quarters combat in areas previously cleared by Israel, including the Gaza City neighborhood of Jabaliya and parts of Zeitoun, where Hamas has been firing mortars at Israeli troops.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has again expressed concerns over a growing disconnect between Israel’s political and military strategy in the conflict, suggesting that Israeli tactical victories won’t be “sustainable” without a comprehensive plan for what happens after the fighting stops.

Fighting this week continues to demonstrate the complexity of urban warfare as both the IDF and Hamas fighters maneuver for leverage amidst the continuous flow of internally displaced persons (IDPs) and civilians attempting to flee areas under bombardment.

The IDF’s seizure of the Gaza side of the Rafah border has drastically increased tensions between Israel and Egypt, which could impact ongoing negotiations that Cairo has been a key interlocutor throughout.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

these folks suck rear end

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PurpleXVI posted:

There's a minority. As of the last elections you had about 10% of Israelis voting for parties that wanted to treat Palestinians like human beings with rights. But they seem to get treated about as badly as the Palestinians by their own countrymen, Israeli journalists who report the "wrong" things get attacked by mobs, etc.

I'm getting the sinking feeling I'm reading a passage from the future here, where this is America even more so in juuuuuuust a few more elections.

We're already mostly there, the groundwork was done long ago.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

PurpleXVI posted:

They also get others to bully and silence their enemies for them. Historian Ilan Pappe, a 70-year-old, Haifa-born, anti-Zionist Jew, posted on his Facebook today that he was briefly detained and questioned by the FBI at the airport, presumably at the behest of the Israeli security services the United States partners with.

Ilan Pappe posted:

Did you know that 70 years old professors of history are threatening America' national security?

I arrived on Monday at Detroit airport and was taken for a two hours investigation by the FBI, and my phone was taken as well.

The two men team were not abusive or rude, I should say, but their questions were really out of the world!

am I a Hamas supporter? do I regard the Israeli actions in Gaza a genocide? what is the solution to the "conflict" (seriously this what they asked!)

who are my Arab and Muslim friends in America...how long do I know them, what kind of relationship I have with them.

Is some cases I sent them to my books, and is some cases I answered laconically yes or no...(I was quite exhausted after an 8 hours flight, but this is part of the idea).
They had long phone conversation with someone, the Israelis?, and after copying everything on my phone allowed me to enter.

I know many of you have fared far worse experience, but after France and Germany denied entry to the Rector of Glasgow university for being a Palestinian...God know what will happen next.

The good news is - actions like this by the USA or European countries taken under pressure from the pro-Israeli lobby or Israel itself smell of sheer panic and desperation in reaction to Israel's becoming very soon a pariah state with all the implications of such a status.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
That's genuinely insane. But insanity is starting to be the norm for this situation.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/15/university-california-student-workers-strike-protest-00158261

quote:

University of California student workers vote to strike amid Gaza protest furor

The union is making numerous demands, including an “amnesty” for students and faculty members arrested during campus unrest.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/15/sonoma-state-president-leave-gaza-00158285

quote:

California university president put on leave for ‘insubordination’ after meeting Gaza protesters’ demands

Mike Lee had agreed to move toward divesting from Israel and giving a pro-Palestinian group more sway over campus decisions.

“Yesterday the President of Sonoma State University aligned the campus with BDS, a movement whose goal is the destruction of Israel, home to 7M Jews,” Wiener wrote on X Wednesday. “Several other UC & CSU campuses are doing this more subtly. Sonoma State simply said the quiet part out loud. The mask is off.”

It's kind of the classic situation where no one but a fringe group was initially demanding the destruction of Israel, just that Israel stopped acting inhumanely and abode(abided? whatever, verb conjugation hard) by previously made agreements vis a vis not being assholes. But then Israel has, for decades, close to centuries, stood up and yelled: "WE'LL ONLY STOP IF WE'RE DESTROYED" and thus their own actions have, over the years, gotten more and more people to shrug and go: "Well, destruction it is, then."

But even then I think that BDS is about one of the softest "anti-Israel" movements out there, since it's genuinely just "stop sending money to Israel that they can use for more murder." Feeling threatened by them is such a, dare I say it, fragile snowflake thing.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Business titans privately urged NYC mayor to use police on Columbia protesters, chats show

https://wapo.st/3WJ4sqO

Gift link.

Can't say I'm surprised but Jesus Christ.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

I feel like if anyone should not be painting with a wide brush, it's someone who served in the United States military during the last half century or so.

jfc dude

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

McNally posted:

I feel like if anyone should not be painting with a wide brush, it's someone who served in the United States military during the last half century or so.

jfc dude

I have a low opinion of humanity in general. We aren't a very impressive species. We certainly haven't had a positive impact on the planet.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Mustang posted:

I have a low opinion of humanity in general. We aren't a very impressive species. We certainly haven't had a positive impact on the planet.

sorry humans got you down. might be a nice time to lay in the sun a little or get tea with a friend

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Our senile rear end President was out there again today spewing the same made up poo poo the zionists have been using to justify their campaign of genocide, if that gives you any indication where this country is headed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/22/palestinian-state-recognition-ireland-spain-recognise-palestine

quote:

Ireland, Spain and Norway have announced they will formally recognise a Palestinian state on 28 May, triggering an immediate response from Israel, which is recalling its ambassadors from Dublin, Madrid and Oslo.

The three European governments made the long-awaited announcements in coordinated moves on Wednesday morning that they said were intended to support a two-state solution and foster peace in the Middle East.

Israel launched a swift diplomatic counteroffensive to try to deter others from recognising Palestine. The foreign minister, Israel Katz, ordered the immediate return of the Israeli ambassadors to the three countries for consultations and warned that further “severe consequences” could follow.

“I am sending a clear message today: Israel will not be complacent against those who undermine its sovereignty and endanger its security,” he said.

Israel’s foreign ministry said it would reprimand the Irish, Spanish and Norwegian ambassadors and show them a video of female hostages being held in captivity by Hamas.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Israeli (recalled) ambassador to Norway stated "We view Norway as one of the most hostile countries."

https://www.nrk.no/urix/israels-ambassador_-norge-er-et-av-de-mest-fiendtlige-landene-1.16892449

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
classic old terrorist norway

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xakura posted:

Israeli (recalled) ambassador to Norway stated "We view Norway as one of the most hostile countries."

https://www.nrk.no/urix/israels-ambassador_-norge-er-et-av-de-mest-fiendtlige-landene-1.16892449

:byewhore:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Probably because of Varg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I watched it on Al Jazeera and I was again wondering what consequences Israel could possibly impose

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I watched it on Al Jazeera and I was again wondering what consequences Israel could possibly impose

I think the fact that these countries are doing this suggests the consequences are minimal.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
what consequences lmao get hosed zion

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Xakura posted:

Better cancel those ski trips I guess

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hey, what do you have against one of the best National Parks there mister?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hey, what do you have against one of the best National Parks there mister?

They mean the underground city in the Matrix sequels.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Madurai posted:

No no, it's clearly the north suburb of Chicago

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I'm reminded of criticism leveled against the German government for recognizing Croatia and Slovenia. Yeah, it was a big step by an important player in Europe. Yeah, it set certain things in motion. It didn't cause the greater conflict, and in hindsight didn't inflame it more than the Serb-dominated FRY government was willing to go.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

US is probably saying to Norway something along the lines of "Nice wealth fund you got there, shame if bad luck seemed to follow it around".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

US is probably saying to Norway something along the lines of "Nice wealth fund you got there, shame if bad luck seemed to follow it around".

lol, number can't go down, the wealth fund is basically an index fund with some ethical investment rules

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Madurai posted:

And by "get hosed Zion" the poster is simply encouraging them to start the next trance orgy.

A positive post amongst a sea of negative cynics

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Xakura posted:

lol, number can't go down, the wealth fund is basically an index fund with some ethical investment rules

Pretty much this. It's wish casting that Israel could leverage any influence it has to somehow gently caress with it. It's not happening.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
AIPAC is so loving powerful.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bored As gently caress posted:

AIPAC is so loving powerful.

what the living gently caress is your avatar

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That’s a D&D wizard.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

CSPAM invaded TFR and they did low effort shitposts for a while making GBS threads up threads, and they decided to gift us by giving a lot of us avatars. First it was pictures of school shooters, then it was a pic of David Hogg, now it's titty wizards from some anime.

Idk man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

M_Gargantua posted:

That’s a DD wizard.