Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I've been having fantastic luck with event plan drops! I've been mostly offline for the last 2+ weeks getting a new foster puppy settled in my home, and I guess the universe saw fit to reward me by making every drat plan I wanted drop one after the other. I nabbed the new alien blaster paint, electro enforcer, alien head lamp, flatwoods monster lamp, and alien disintegrator plans all in the last 48 hours of the event, and got the wise mothman tome plan on the first mothman equinox I attended. Yay for good luck!

Although now I need to build a mothman-esque settlement, since creepy books and bone altars don't really jibe with my current "comfy run down tavern for new players" aesthetic. I might actually have to buy a third camp slot from the atomic shop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Launched my first nuke! That was quite the process. Will go by faster now that I’ve done it.

Still haven’t done an expedition.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 14, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Expeditions are much less of a chore, especially all the Atlantic City expeditions are pretty quick and fun, you should try them as soon as you get them unlocked because they are super lucrative and self-contained.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

Expeditions are much less of a chore, especially all the Atlantic City expeditions are pretty quick and fun, you should try them as soon as you get them unlocked because they are super lucrative and self-contained.

Agreed! Play all the AC ones, they're super great. Just... avoid the Pitt.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Do I have to do anything special to unlock AC expeditions? Haven't really looked into expeditions at all since I came back. Also are they easy enough to solo (and worth it) assuming you have a solid build?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I'm running a public group can I start an expedition without bringing the group with me?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Black Griffon posted:

I think I have 25 fusion cores or something at this point, it's becoming an stash issue. I should probably start selling them off. What would you folks pay for a fusion core?

Give them to me

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Otacon posted:

Agreed! Play all the AC ones, they're super great. Just... avoid the Pitt.

I mean, in absence of the newer Atlantic City content, the Pitt would still be worth doing, and you should check it out anyway because it has a really good capture of the New Vegas/Divide vibes, it's not exactly BAD, it's just long
still giant amounts of ammo, loot and xp/time imo

explosivo posted:

If I'm running a public group can I start an expedition without bringing the group with me?

if you're the leader, yes you can go without the team, if you're not the leader I don't think you can start one.

Hakarne posted:

Do I have to do anything special to unlock AC expeditions? Haven't really looked into expeditions at all since I came back. Also are they easy enough to solo (and worth it) assuming you have a solid build?

do the short quest chain "Responders Reborn" and they're all unlocked. some of them have some sort of boss that you may or may not be able to solo easily (all three of the Atlantic City expeditions have boss fights)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 14, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Flesh Forge posted:

if you're the leader, yes you can go without the team, if you're not the leader I don't think you can start one.

Okay yeah I found out the non-leaders can't start one thing but just wasn't sure if it pulled everyone in the party out of the map if I started an expedition. Good to hear not!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How often do people sell the ultracite mod plan for Gatling plasma? Evidently this only drops from SBQ?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do Atlantic City tax evasion alone all the time. It’s a great way to quickly get ammo for something you need to max out. Absurdly easy in power armor with the holy flamer

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also the first time you run an expedition every week you get a free plan from the appropriate list.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I do Atlantic City tax evasion alone all the time. It’s a great way to quickly get ammo for something you need to max out. Absurdly easy in power armor with the holy flamer

yeah there's a bunch of builds that can do these easily, you should try it and see.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I only want money to get the Signs and Letters plan.

10,000 caps is bananas. Even with 15 CHA, it's 8,900.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think I saw that on the atomic shop. Maybe check there and see how much it costs

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

explosivo posted:

Okay yeah I found out the non-leaders can't start one thing but just wasn't sure if it pulled everyone in the party out of the map if I started an expedition. Good to hear not!

even if it's an expedition team it won't pull everyone after you they all have to join individually after joining the team similar to daily ops

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Digital Foundry has a video out on the graphics changes for consoles from the May 13 update for Fallout 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e86pAP6sUo

- the Performance on/off toggle didn't do anything for Xbox consoles. This has been fixed.
- at the same time, the graphics settings have been broken-up into two settings:

-- there is a Performance / Visuals toggle, with the Performance mode being a "standard" level of graphical quality that the game already used to run at, while Visuals mode ups the graphics quality, most notably in terms of higher draw distance and increased foliage
-- the PS5 and XSX will peak at 4k resolution, with dynamic resolution drops to 1872p, while the XSS will peak at 1440p resolution, with dynamic resolution drops to 1080p
-- for some reason the PS5 has lower building LOD than the Xboxes at the most extreme of ranges. Probably not an issue gameplay-wise, but it's a distinct difference.
-- the Visuals mode still cannot match the best possible settings that the [vanilla] PC version can put out

-- there is a frame rate target setting: 30 FPS, 60 FPS, and if you're on a 120hz display, an option for 40 FPS

- by separating the Performance/Visuals toggle with the FPS target, it's possible to ask the game to try and run on its Visuals mode while still targeting 60 FPS; it can and will have to use its dynamic resolution scaling more aggressively, but it can do this
- on that note, if you do set it to Visuals mode at 60 FPS, the consoles can mostly run like that with the frame rate hitting 60 FPS most of the time, but the review notes that there are noticeable hitches when running through busy outdoor and/or downtown scenes, or when initiating combat with complex actions like setting off a landmine or throwing a molotov cocktail
- setting the game to Performance mode will relieve some of the hitches, and reduce the severity of the hitches that will remain, but the game will still have them
- if you want to absolutely remove the hitches, then the 40 FPS target will do that; or 30 FPS if your display can't support 40 FPS

One empirical test they ran was sitting on the very top of the Corvega factory, looking down:
- using Visuals mode and targeting 60 FPS, the game would run at 50 FPS on the PS5/XSX; the game is already dropping down to the lowest resolution its dynamic scaling will let it, but the scene is still too complex to hit 60 FPS
- if they switch to Performance mode, then the frame rate increases to 52 FPS
- if they switch to Visuals mode and targeting 40 FPS, then the scene runs at a locked 40 FPS; this is perhaps obvious because the game already could run at 50-52 FPS, but it underlines the point that this is how you get the game to lock-in, if you prefer consistency over raw frame rate
- they didn't explicitly test for 30 FPS, but I think it would be even more obvious that that would be a lock as well

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 15, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it's pathetic that they can't even get a solid 60 on the Series X/PS5 with sub-Ultra settings. Bethesda needs to take this ancient engine out behind the shed for god's sake

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Anybody want a free Enclave plasma gun with a couple of mods on it (Stabilized Flamer Barrel, Stabilized Stock)
not that these are optimal mods, and only the basic receiver sadly, but any Flamer barrel is kind of a big deal/very rare if you're into plasma flamers

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

AndrewP posted:

it's pathetic that they can't even get a solid 60 on the Series X/PS5 with sub-Ultra settings. Bethesda needs to take this ancient engine out behind the shed for god's sake

Yeah how dare they release a game on this engine 8 years ago

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You look lonely...

I can fix that...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love how 76 uses photos you took as loading screen backgrounds. It has me actively using photo mode instead of screwing around with it for a few minutes then never touching it again like I usually do with in-game photo modes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Fallout hacking game has a knack for making you feel really clever

after using the bracket trick to remove as many duds as possible, I had the following password possibilities:

code:
GANG
SOME
FLAG
INTO
FARM
EYES
SLID
I picked GANG, and it was wrong, but it had a likeness of 1

from there, you can eliminate all of the passwords that don't share at least one letter with GANG: that's SOME, INTO, EYES, and SLID

that just leaves FLAG and FARM, and I don't even need to think about it at that point, because I still have enough tries to check both (it was FARM)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am playing Fallout 4 for the first time, which is my first Fallout since 2 and my third Bethesda game (previously Skyrim, which I love, and Starfield, which I like). It's freaking amazing, even unmodded. I haven't done anything much past the tutorial with the main plot, primarily just exploring to see where everything interesting is so I can start making decisions on what to actually pursue. Dogmeat is my best friend. Don't suggest companions, for I am a Lone Wanderer. :clint: I'm open to any suggestions on cool side plots or if I should just follow the story. My brother also told me VATS is for semi-autos / power weapons and to use autos if not. I tend to go with automatics in my RPGs but I feel like I would be missing out on a core feature if I don't use VATS. Thoughts on this? Does it even matter?

With that said, my friends are saying I should play New Vegas after this. It seems good and different enough to be fun (I also love Mass Effect 1 so inferior combat is not a problem in an RPG for me). My question is...should I play FO76 instead? I was gifted a key for the base game. I've read that it's been improved and fixed quite a bit. So to a relatively inexperienced Fallout player, which direction should I go after Fallout 4? I'm unemployed so that could be sooner than later, haha...

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 15, 2024

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

explosivo posted:

I love how 76 uses photos you took as loading screen backgrounds. It has me actively using photo mode instead of screwing around with it for a few minutes then never touching it again like I usually do with in-game photo modes.

This ended up being one of my favorite features versus Fallout 4. It's fun to see memories of your playthrough cycle by.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I am playing Fallout 4 for the first time, which is my first Fallout since 2 and my third Bethesda game (previously Skyrim, which I love, and Starfield, which I like). It's freaking amazing, even unmodded. I haven't done anything much past the tutorial with the main plot, primarily just exploring to see where everything interesting is so I can start making decisions on what to actually pursue. Dogmeat is my best friend. Don't suggest companions, for I am a Lone Wanderer. :clint: I'm open to any suggestions on cool side plots or if I should just follow the story. My brother also told me VATS is for semi-autos / power weapons and to use autos if not. I tend to go with automatics in my RPGs but I feel like I would be missing out on a core feature if I don't use VATS. Thoughts on this? Does it even matter?

With that said, my friends are saying I should play New Vegas after this. It seems good and different enough to be fun (I also love Mass Effect 1 so inferior combat is not a problem in an RPG for me). My question is...should I play FO76 instead? I was gifted a key for the base game. I've read that it's been improved and fixed quite a bit. So to a relatively inexperienced Fallout player, which direction should I go after Fallout 4? I'm unemployed so that could be sooner than later, haha...

If you love Fallout 4, Fallout 76 is more of the same but with other people messing around at the map at the same time and sometimes building cool stuff. And there is no bought DLC in Fallout 76(?), just extensions to the base game which everyone gets. If you want to spend money, its either monthly subscription (Fallout 1st) or buying Atoms for getting mostly unique visuals and camp stuff.

But try out Fallout New Vegas if not for anything else, for the story and the setting. On that, DLCs are self-contained stories on separate maps and not really necessary unless you want to learn about the courier that was hired for the previous attempt.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

explosivo posted:

I am new and didn't know there was a camera item, so my loading screens now are all pictures of bugs I took trying to do the tadpole thing

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

If you already have a free copy of FO76 you should go ahead and try it, it's a Pretty Good Game.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
What's the best path for getting a tricked out Gauss Sniper rifle? I got the plans, but have no mods yet.

Do I just farm materials and craft/scrap the lowest level I can make over and over? Seems really slow?

Farm player vendors for something I can use?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Dogmeat is my best friend. Don't suggest companions, for I am a Lone Wanderer. :clint: I'm open to any suggestions on cool side plots or if I should just follow the story.

The Far Harbor DLC is very cool and atmospheric, think Stephen King-esque small-town Maine with weird mutated sea creatures and the like. I am usually a Lone Wanderer & doge team but just for Far Harbor it's worth bringing Nick Valentine along instead as the story centres around synths.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

if you already own FO76, and like FO4, and don't own FNV (and are unemployed...), I would definitely give FO76 a shot, especially in the sense that FO76 really leaned into the "just gently caress around" ethos of FO4

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For the Commando perk, can it be any weapon that is automatic? Like Miniguns and automatic laser rifles all count for the bonus? The description in-game says Automatic Rifles but the wiki says "Automatic weapons are affected by applicable perks like Commando or Guerrilla"

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Books On Tape posted:

What's the best path for getting a tricked out Gauss Sniper rifle? I got the plans, but have no mods yet.

Do I just farm materials and craft/scrap the lowest level I can make over and over? Seems really slow?

Farm player vendors for something I can use?

Yep! Craft lowest level ones, and immediately scrap them to learn some plans.

explosivo posted:

For the Commando perk, can it be any weapon that is automatic? Like Miniguns and automatic laser rifles all count for the bonus? The description in-game says Automatic Rifles but the wiki says "Automatic weapons are affected by applicable perks like Commando or Guerrilla"

Laser Rifles/Pistols count for their respective perks:
Has to be an automatic rifle for Commando to apply.
Has to be a single-shot rifle for Rifleman to apply.
Has to be an automatic pistol for Guerrilla to apply.
Has to be a single-shot pistol for Gunslinger to apply.

Miniguns do not - they are a heavy weapon:
Heavy Weapons use Heavy Gunner perk cards.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 15, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep all that in mind moving forward.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
It doesn't cover heavy guns, miniguns and anything gatling are Heavy Weapons and those perks are separate (and science doesn't even apply to energy heavy weapons)

But yeah if you make an automatic laser rifle, commando applies

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got it, thanks! I figured that was the case, the wiki's super misleading.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Otacon posted:

Yep! Craft lowest level ones, and immediately scrap them to learn some plans.

Crap ok. As it is, I can barely farm enough materials to keep my current stuff repaired.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

parasyte posted:

It doesn't cover heavy guns, miniguns and anything gatling are Heavy Weapons and those perks are separate (and science doesn't even apply to energy heavy weapons)

But yeah if you make an automatic laser rifle, commando applies

Specific to laser/plasma/gauss weapons, Science perks also apply and stack with Commando perks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think the main story is kind of lame. The side quests are fun though. All the little bits of lore are great. It's even better when I met a ghoul, talked to him for a bit, got a quest, and then hosed off for a while. Then I explored a building, there was a whole lore dump in the terminals about the guy. I didn't even realize it was about the guy I met until I saw him later and got new dialog to give him something from that building. There wasn't even a quest for it, it was just something I could do if I connected the dots myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

explosivo posted:

Got it, thanks! I figured that was the case, the wiki's super misleading.

the wiki's not too bad on this on the individual weapon pages, there's a Perks tab that lists each perk that applies to the weapon. The laser gun for example lists out every damage perk that could apply and in which situations that would apply. The laser gun is one of the weapons that can be a pistol or a rifle, and automatic or single-shot, depending on which mods.

Of course even the game isn't all that consistent about this, the pipe bolt-action and pipe revolver don't lose the pistol keyword when you put a rifle stock on them so they are eligible for both gunslinger and rifleman perks at the same time.