Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you look at how the stairs are drawn, they would suggest the bedrooms are in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OwlFancier posted:

also is there not any sort of shower or bath?

I've seen bathrooms that have a drain in the floor and a shower head in the ceiling. Might be what's going on here.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you look at how the stairs are drawn, they would suggest the bedrooms are in the basement.

Nah, it's just that the roof is angled and looks much shorter from in front than it actually is

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your bedrooms are in another castle.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Nah, it's just that the roof is angled and looks much shorter from in front than it actually is
I ignored the photo with the Velux window in the bedroom ok!

I don't get how those stairs on the plan are supposed to work though. You should be able to see them in the kitchen.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Buildings from before central heating, that couldn't be updated (no space, in this one), have fancy space-heaters so you can pretend you aren't freezing solid at night.

(I'm a HUGE fan of central heating, obviously.)

Oh I know aaaall about old, cold houses, my house has central heating in 3 rooms only, everywhere else, is an icebox in winter.
I'm puzzled by the fact that in the other bedroom, which is also tiny, they have 2 little stoves, and I think, a plug-in radiator as well.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
THEY CALLED HIM... THE SLATEMASTER

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

America: Tiny homes are so cute and trendy!

Victorian Ireland: Hold my beer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

America: Tiny homes are so cute and trendy!

Victorian Ireland: Hold my beer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pookah posted:

Look at this adorable little house!

From the floorplan, it's not actually as tiny as it looks from the outside, maybe not a family home, but fine for one or two people.

But it's actually completely insane

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-62-st-kevins-square-off-friars-street-cork-city-co-cork/5309749

edit: why are there so many little stoves ???

I think at least one late 90's adventure game happened here.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

A basement? In an Irish house?! :lol: :lmao:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Stexils posted:

fmv adventure game house

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I reckon you could definitely cobble an FMV adventure game together out of those photos. I swear I could hear 90's FMV filler synth playing while clicking through them.

You can just about see the 480p video play to transition up the stairs to the next scene.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Lmao that house could easily be the setting of a B-list adventure game. Respect.

StoryTime posted:

That fireplace looks like the worst 90' FMV adventure game puzzle ever devised.

Winklebottom posted:

I enjoy the leopard skin highlighted like it is an interactable item in a point-n-click adventure game

By popular demand posted:

I think at least one late 90's adventure game happened here.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I'm going to regret asking this but...if no basement then where keep potato?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In an unfinished root cellar

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

In a vodka bottle.

DUH

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In belly.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

England

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh? What's the deal there? Rock? Swamp?

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh? What's the deal there? Rock? Swamp?

In Cork it's marshland. I've only ever encountered basements in Dublin restaurants because the toilets are usually down there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The house I grew up (Wicklow) had not only got a basement, it had a feckin wine cellar down under the basement.
It hadn't been used as an actual wine cellar for years, but it was still kind of cool and spooky to go down there. There was even a little natural spring in one corner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Basements are very uncommon in the UK unless it's a rather grand house or a pub. I would presume the trend extends to Ireland.

I don't know if there's a specific reason why, we just don't build them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's because the country's made from mud, mate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aren't most places?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Historically not true.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

OwlFancier posted:

Aren't most places?

No, just the UK and Florida

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It's water table or bedrock that usually gets in the way of building basements. I could see why the Dutch don't build them, but it's not like most of the UK is technically underwater.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
Most places in England I've lived have been on clay, chalk and flinty soil which is very prone to subsidence, so probably not a good combo with cellars before modern reinforcing techniques.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Sure, but those modern reinforcing techniques exist. So at this point is it just maintaining tradition out of spite? That would be very in character for the English.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I think broadly speaking it's probably not an expected or desired feature in new builds unless you're really rammed for space in somewhere like London and you can get more bang for your buck by excavating. Damp is also a big problem in the Uk and flooding can be a problem too so that probably factors in as well when developers are trying to whack up homes as cheap as possible to exploit our crazy housing market.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Would it be crazy to say that if I moved in there, I'd only remove some of the fake stone panels? Like, I might leave an accent wall or two in each room done up in repetitive rock texture?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Would it be crazy to say that if I moved in there, I'd only remove some of the fake stone panels? Like, I might leave an accent wall or two in each room done up in repetitive rock texture?

I think I'd just paint over them.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sure, but those modern reinforcing techniques exist. So at this point is it just maintaining tradition out of spite? That would be very in character for the English.

Nah now its just a rich English thing to see how deep you can dig to add size to your lovely damp house. Iirc they keep finding artifacts and munitions that stop the digs....or they just hire people who dgaf and will just grind up some vases and skeletons and keep on diggin

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Powered Descent posted:

Those are heirloom brick-effect kitchen cabinets, there's a protection order on them.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Pookah posted:

Look at this adorable little house!

From the floorplan, it's not actually as tiny as it looks from the outside, maybe not a family home, but fine for one or two people.

But it's actually completely insane

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-62-st-kevins-square-off-friars-street-cork-city-co-cork/5309749

edit: why are there so many little stoves ???

I'm only clicking through the Daft listing for this just now. First of all, this is only a few minutes from my apartment and I'm sorely tempted to book a viewing with my husband and not showing him this listing so he can go in blind. Secondly, did they paint the washing machine or is that my imagination?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There are only two actual windows, one in the bathroom, plus the skylight in the bedroom. Ugh.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm only clicking through the Daft listing for this just now. First of all, this is only a few minutes from my apartment and I'm sorely tempted to book a viewing with my husband and not showing him this listing so he can go in blind. Secondly, did they paint the washing machine or is that my imagination?

Omg please go, some real, unfiltered photos would be amazing.
Also I don't think the washing machine is painted, I think they wallpapered it as well - look at the curling piece of purple paper at the top left corner.
I think they painted the bar on the oven door too.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Tbh a 2 bedroom house in Cork city centre for 189k is a total steal, so I have to assume there's a ton of black mould or asbestos under those things. Or it's one of those places that floods so much you can't insure it.

rollick has a new favorite as of 19:57 on May 15, 2024

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

rollick posted:

Tbh a 2 bedroom house in Cork city centre for 189k is a total steal, so I have to assume there's a ton of black mould or asbestos under those things. Or it's one of those places that floods so much you can't insure it.

The BER rating is G. It's gotta be pretty bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probably old enough to predate asbestos so any you find is likely retrofitted. And probably encapsulated under a thick coating of brick effect wallpaper :v:

I suspect it might be loving freezing though. Old houses like that seem to assume you're going to be burning a giant coal fire 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OwlFancier posted:

It's probably old enough to predate asbestos so any you find is likely retrofitted. And probably encapsulated under a thick coating of brick effect wallpaper :v:

I suspect it might be loving freezing though. Old houses like that seem to assume you're going to be burning a giant coal fire 24/7.

Nope, they assume you are OK with just being cold all the time.
I grew up in a big old victorian house where the only heating source was open fires, and you just got used to the cold. Those rooms were just plain unheatable -12 foot ceilings, big sash windows plus the rooms themselves were big.
Even now, I can't bear to sleep in a heated room. Even when it's freezing outside I have to have the window open or it's too stuffy.
Anything over about 15c is reasonably warm inside for me, toasty warm is 20c

The funny thing is that my father grew up in a former council cottage that is and was absolutely cosy all the time, while my mother grew up in a giant victorian vanity house that was cold as gently caress all year round.