Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

i say swears online posted:

saw it reported as "bridge to Galveston" at first and nearly flipped my poo poo. that airbnb cancellation policy probably ain't great

No poo poo - I'll be in Galveston with a group this weekend, that would have screwed up plans for a ton of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its almost memorial day weekend. the best time to not go to galveston, because the round trip becomes approximately 14 hours

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From Houston?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah the traffic gets ridiculous, like 45 just turns into a giant parking lot the whole way

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

its almost memorial day weekend. the best time to not go to galveston, because the round trip becomes approximately 14 hours

I'm planning on leaving midday Friday to get down there, I'm hoping it won't be too awful this weekend. The last Memorial weekend I did in Galveston ran from Thursday through Monday just to avoid traffic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why would you not spend Memorial Day in bed, sleeping

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Double post but, this is potentially noteworthy.

Houston teachers union calls for Mike Miles' resignation after explosive report

More info in the link, but the quoted section covers the highlights. This among the more brazen displays of corruption I've seen, if it's true.

I still don't understand what the rationale is anymore for firing everyone at HISD for budget reasons. If you took over the school district claiming it was to improve the schools, how does firing all the janitors accomplish that? The Republican logic just seems to be that a school can't fail if it doesn't exist anymore.

(I know it's all bullshit privatization scheming, but I don't understand how they pretend there's a functional internal logic here anymore.)

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Back Hack posted:

It one of the reason building owners are trying to get State and/or Fed funds to convert their empty office space into apartments and condos, converting those offices into living spaces costs a ridicules amount of money to renovate builds of that size to provide indepentant AC, water, and sewage after the fact.

They are converting a hotel near my office and the floor plans are hilarious. Every living space gets a full bathroom and the kitchen has no stove or oven.

https://www.liveatteak.com/

Oil! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 15, 2024

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Quote is not edit :(

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The future is private schooling for all, not some.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Oil! posted:

They are converting a hotel near my office and the floor plans are hilarious. Every living space gets a full bathroom and the kitchen has no stove or oven.

https://www.liveatteak.com/

That's....something. I guess they expect everyone to either buy a toaster oven and/or freestanding induction cooktop, or that people just live with cooking only in microwaves now?

Then again, there are enough people that survive only off of a combination of restaurants and heat and eat meals that they'll eventually rent everything out, I'm sure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah honestly tons of people don't cook and that rent isn't too bad

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

yeah honestly tons of people don't cook and that rent isn't too bad

...........Who doesn't cook????

https://www.krgv.com/news/spacex-expanding-boca-chica-footprint-with-new-facilities-plans-for-more-test-flights

KRGV News posted:

SpaceX hopes to have their next launch from their Boca Chica facility in a couple of weeks.

According to Starbase General Manager Kathy Leuders, they want to speed up how often they're doing tests, and also how often they're building vehicles to bring costs down for every time they send a rocket into the air.

That's going to mean some infrastructure changes, according to Leuders.

Leuders spoke as part of a Tuesday SpaceX presentation at the TSTC Cultural Arts Center to highlight the company’s progress.

According to Leuders, each of the last three launches has shown more and more progress towards their goal of creating a re-usable Starship.

Their goal is to lower the cost of each flight, and what it costs to send cargo to space.

“Stack them, test them, and then be able to launch,” Leuders said. “It's that launch cadence that's really going to allow us to be able to get the amount of material that you need to do long-term missions in space."

SpaceX is also expanding its footprint at Boca Chica. They have plans to build a new office, a second launch pad, a new high bay structure, and a massive Starship factory.

Leuders says it will be a million square feet by the end of 2024, and will accommodate for more cars, more employees and living space.

“That's a lot of building, along with us building homes and everything else,” Leauders said. “All of this is to get us ready to be able to start meeting the production launch rate that we need to be able to accomplish our missions."

Leuders says SpaceX is coordinating with the Port of Brownsville and the LNG company NextDecade to identify new infrastructure needs around Boca Chica. She added that the east side of Brownsville is in a good position to add restaurants and hotels.

The Starbase facility is hosting 3 thousand people a day.

With the goal of faster testing, Leuders says manned missions to the moon and to Mars will take a lot of cargo.

Lueders expects a new FAA launch approval will come down in late May or early June.

“And the first day we get that license, we're going to fly,” Leuders said. “I do know that one day, out of the Rio Grande Valley, there will be a starship going to Mars."

BUT :v:

According to WFTV in Orlando.....

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/environmental-review-reveals-new-spacex-starship-super-heavy-plans/6OCAN5OMNZBDJGUSYZKTRQAOFM/

WFTV News posted:

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. — The FAA intends to look at the potential environmental impacts of issuing a commercial launch Vehicle Operator License to SpaceX for the Starship-Super Heavy launch vehicle at Launch Complex 39A.

SpaceX must obtain a vehicle operator license from FAA for Starship-Super Heavy launch and landing operations.

The vehicle is currently under development in Boca Chica, Texas. SpaceX plans to launch missions from Florida’s Space Coast.

An earlier environmental assessment for future Super Heavy operations at LC-39 A was completed in 2019, with a finding of “no significant impact.” But, plans have evolved.

According to a notice filed on Friday, SpaceX proposes additional launch infrastructure, stormwater or deluge ponds, and the launch of an advanced design of the Starship and Super Heavy vehicle with up to 44 launches per year.

The FAA will hold two in-person scoping meetings and one virtual public scoping meeting next month, to allow the public to receive information about the proposed action.

They’ll be similar to meetings held earlier this year about potential SpaceX Starship operations at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station at Space Launch Complex 37.

The IN-PERSON meetings will be held on June 12, 2024, and June 13, 2024.

The June 12, 2024, meetings will be held from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. (Eastern) at the Radisson Cape Canaveral, 8701 Astronaut Blvd, Cape Canaveral, Florida 32920.
The June 13, 2024, meeting will be held from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. (Eastern) at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, Space Commerce Way, Merritt Island, Florida 32953.
All meetings will consist of an open house information-station format wherein the FAA will provide information describing the purpose of the scoping meetings, project schedule, opportunities for public involvement, Proposed Action and alternatives summary, and environmental resource area summary. Fact sheets will be made available containing similar information. At any time during the meetings, the public will have the opportunity to provide verbal comments to a court reporter or written comments via a written comment form at one of several commenting stations. English-Spanish translation services will be provided at the in-person meetings.

The Virtual meeting will be held on June 17, 2024; 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. (Eastern); the URL and call-in number for the meeting will be provided in advance on the FAA’s SpaceX Starship-SuperHeavy at Kennedy Space Center’s project webpage.

I love how my own local news org can't even do some due rear end diligence and it's rando crackpots on my FB News Group finding this poo poo.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Nonsense posted:

The future is private schooling for all, not some.

The future is:
- quality private schooling for the rich
- religious schooling (of varied quality) for some of the middle-class
- white nationalist homeschooling or unschooling AND child labor for everyone else

It's unreal how badly the white nataionlist homeschooling movement has infiltrated the Republican party and basically any online spaces around parenting.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

No poo poo - I'll be in Galveston with a group this weekend, that would have screwed up plans for a ton of people.

https://abc13.com/post/go-topless-weekend-arrests-crystal-beach-bolivar-peninsula-galveston-county/14815316/

You going for Jeep weekend!?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

gently caress, I had no idea this was a thing. Hopefully traffic isn't too bad mid-day Friday when I'm on the road to get there...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jeep owners are da fuckin worst

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

lobster shirt posted:

jeep owners are da fuckin worst

Worse than Tesla owners?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cant put a lift kit on a tesla

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Cant put a lift kit on a tesla

Not with that attitude.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The future is:
- white nationalist homeschooling or unschooling AND child labor for everyone else

I'm imagining a room full of hundreds of children on tablets and a few paraprofessionals to keep them in line for the last group, at least until they are old enough to go to work. Gotta have the kids out of the house so the parents can work!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Asbestos for some, miniature flag pins for the others.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1791116890703577598

Come the gently caress on man

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Aren't they a bit old for him?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dameius posted:

Aren't they a bit old for him?

Thank you for saying it before I did.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The future is:

It's unreal how badly the white nataionlist homeschooling movement has infiltrated the Republican party and basically any online spaces around parenting.

The future is :gestures at Louisiana school system:

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

I'm imagining a room full of hundreds of children on tablets and a few paraprofessionals to keep them in line for the last group, at least until they are old enough to go to work. Gotta have the kids out of the house so the parents can work!

The ideal is stay-at-home moms and older daughters raising the younger children until you can marry off those daughters in their late teens. Women aren't supposed to be working most jobs in their utopia. The Duggars perfected the model.

Sounds like a joke, but social media has a big trad wife movement with people maintaining that it's traumatizing for a mom to ever letting anyone else care for or educate their child.

Separately, Rep. Thierry got endorsed by Libs of Tiktok and is now going around talking about how trans healthcare is black genocide because it's "medical experimentation" and "hindering reproduction". So y'all, genocide is whenever someone is allowed to make a decision that impacts their reproduction.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 16, 2024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jiro posted:

Thank you for saying it before I did.

It's a team effort.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Only half of the adults in Texas were born here. How many came from California? posted:

Pick a Texas adult, any Texas adult. The odds that they were born here in Texas is now only about 51% — about a coin flip — according to recently released Census data collected in 2022.

The native-born population has dropped about 10 percentage points in the past 40 years and is a far cry from the 1940s when as many as seven out of every 10 adults in Texas were born here. Meanwhile, over the past few decades, the number of residents born internationally, as well as in the West (including Texas’s larger rival on the West Coast), has exploded.

The answer is 3.7% which is third place, but first amongst the other states. International is second with 22.5% and native born is 50.9%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm native born.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm a born again Texan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dameius posted:

International is second with 22.5%

that's crazy

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm a born again Texan

Oh, you moved here from California?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What people who move here don't realize is that we can always tell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIO0m2AgbTw

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

What people who move here don't realize is that we can always tell.

Alamosexuals are always obvious.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"but texas wants you anyway"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My path to Texas was all over the country then my parents got me here in 2000 to start high school. My mom was born and raised in Pasadena and I assume its matrilineal

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"but texas wants you anyway"

Wants you to gently caress off!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I moved here from California back in 1999.