Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Chewbecca posted:

What I don't understand is how and why people stay in organisations where they aren't wanted (assuming she isn't trying to get another role and has been unsuccessful).

That's the thing: she wants to stay in the Public Service, but has proven herself manifestly unsuitable for a position at the level she currently occupies or higher, and as yet doesn't quite want to take a demotion to move anywhere else. She's stuck in a trap of her own devising where she's ostensibly an Assistant Director but she has been marked with "this person is never to be given people management or business management responsibilities ever again" in glowing neon letters and is working amongst people who know exactly what she is and hate her for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The only time I ever work hard is if the work I'm doing allows me to avoid doing a greater amount of work in the future.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

McGavin posted:

The only time I ever work hard is if the work I'm doing allows me to avoid doing a greater amount of work in the future.

Spittin' straight fire.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Breetai posted:

That's the thing: she wants to stay in the Public Service, but has proven herself manifestly unsuitable for a position at the level she currently occupies or higher, and as yet doesn't quite want to take a demotion to move anywhere else. She's stuck in a trap of her own devising where she's ostensibly an Assistant Director but she has been marked with "this person is never to be given people management or business management responsibilities ever again" in glowing neon letters and is working amongst people who know exactly what she is and hate her for it.

Ah, in my experience public servants will hold onto that title until the bitter end. And HR is loathe to do anything meaningful so it's not like she will be forced out. It's a battle of attrition with good benefits

McGavin posted:

See this is my logic except the mythical time with less work never comes

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

He’ll come around to what? Cutting you a check for the extra work you did?

Following up on this, myself and other guy that did weekend work for the security system are getting paid out for all the poo poo we did, so that's nice. It was also factored into my raise so I got an extra percentage on top of my already maxed percentage raise for the year.

It pays to be valuable, but only if everyone knows how valuable you actually are I guess. I'm by far one of the highest paid people here now.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Chewbecca posted:

What I don't understand is how and why people stay in organisations where they aren't wanted (assuming she isn't trying to get another role and has been unsuccessful).

Like if I had a whiff of being performance managed or otherwise manipulated out of an organisation, I would do everything in my power to find another job and leave. A HR lady told me years ago that in all transparency the preferred outcomes for most performance management cases is that they resign, so if that was on the cards I wouldn't want to be around knowing that.

I've even worked with people who were being performance managed and they fought tooth and nail to stay, even while being overwhelmingly in the wrong. Rightly or wrongly, I just don't want to deal with it.

Knowing the job market is poo poo changes things of course, but outside of that it's the sentiment I don't get.

Believe it or not, it's not that easy to get out of a lovely job and into one that pays enough to survive if you're not in specific fields that are overrepresented in this thread. Sure, I can get out of my current shitfest and into a new job in two weeks - but I won't be able to make rent at the new one. Meanwhile I've been searching semi-actively (applications out regularly, but not making it a full second job) for... what, over two years now? And the only ones that respond similarly aren't enough to make rent at the cheapest housing in my region (which is, of course, all taken, so I couldn't get any cheaper if I tried).

"The job market is poo poo" undersells it. If you're not in one of a few specific fields, and you're not physically able to work manual labor for whatever reason, the job market is a complete nightmare and may as well not exist. Similar experiences from friends and family, and I have close family that's senior HR at a large, nationwide company and is plugged into that whole ecosystem - and has said about the same.

The certainty of a bad job is better than starving.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I'm sorry that's your experience, and I'm sorry if I came across as dismissive, that certainly wasn't my intention. I know what it's like to be in a lovely job (clearly, lol) and I don't at all think finding a new job is easy. It took me 6 months to find this one!

That being said, my statement re sentiment still stands. I'd not want to ensure endless machinations with HR knowing they want me gone as the end result, but maybe that's my personal failing more than anything. I'm not one for maintaining the rage

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cthulu Carl posted:

The real fun is the people who think everything is hunk-dory because of my team's efforts are staying with the other company when we spin back off and, lol, they have no idea what dealing with our counterparts on that side is like at all.

I do enjoy those situations in life where you can sit back, relax, and wait for people to get what they deserve.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

Believe it or not, it's not that easy to get out of a lovely job and into one that pays enough to survive if you're not in specific fields that are overrepresented in this thread. Sure, I can get out of my current shitfest and into a new job in two weeks - but I won't be able to make rent at the new one. Meanwhile I've been searching semi-actively (applications out regularly, but not making it a full second job) for... what, over two years now? And the only ones that respond similarly aren't enough to make rent at the cheapest housing in my region (which is, of course, all taken, so I couldn't get any cheaper if I tried).

"The job market is poo poo" undersells it. If you're not in one of a few specific fields, and you're not physically able to work manual labor for whatever reason, the job market is a complete nightmare and may as well not exist. Similar experiences from friends and family, and I have close family that's senior HR at a large, nationwide company and is plugged into that whole ecosystem - and has said about the same.

The certainty of a bad job is better than starving.

It's telling how half or the responses online to any work dilemma are some form of "tell your boss to EAT poo poo and that you're jumping ship tomorrow for a competitor if they don't meet your demands." That's an enviable position to be in, but not representative of the vast majority of poor working schlubs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Our equivalent of but not actually HR came by and asked what I thought of an employee. Then they said "do you think they'd like to be in [country]?" "Uh, no?" "Got it, sounds good" and the conversation ended.

Enjoy your new life in the off world colonies, I guess.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Living in a state of denial

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Our equivalent of but not actually HR came by and asked what I thought of an employee. Then they said "do you think they'd like to be in [country]?" "Uh, no?" "Got it, sounds good" and the conversation ended.

Enjoy your new life in the off world colonies, I guess.

Singapore can be quite lovely I hear.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

We're required to be licensed to sell what we sell. Full stop. Everyone who touches this stuff--operations, sales, compliance--everyone except the contract mail receipt/paperwork shuffler company.

It turns out maybe we shouldn't contract a big paper shuffler company to upload new business paperwork that is faxed, emailed, or physically mailed in, because in a very stringently regulated industry, we're allowing random folks in a random location access to all kinds of sensitive information they need to double check and verify, including PII, and also, very very large checks. Seven and eight figure checks.

A check has disappeared.

Wait, make that several checks, what have disappeared.

This will certainly not be a problem now for anyone, or later, and we're due our quarterly audit by a regulating body any time now, yay!!!! I'm just vibing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We have a slight HVAC issue today. Specifically, that part of the AC system is leaking and filling one of the lights

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

We have a slight HVAC issue today. Specifically, that part of the AC system is leaking and filling one of the lights

The good news is, soon it won't be a light. It'll be an inefficient immersion heater / attention-getter.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Cthulu Carl posted:

Aw, y'all get your own light show at work, with sparklers. Jealous.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A facilities guy took one look at it, and walked off, muttering about needing a raincoat. He came back a few minutes later, killed our block of lights (the dark is peaceful), and started getting the light cover off.

There was WAY more water in there than we expected and he was right, he needed his raincoat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did they empty it on someone’s desk?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It was just outside of our area so not over a desk, but a fair amount of water missed the trashcan that was catching the leak and rained out on the carpet

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Shouldn't install floodlights indoors

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can’t spark there, mate

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jusupov posted:

Shouldn't install floodlights indoors

:golfclap:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I’ve made peace with the fact that we’re back in the office full time and WfH is never coming back. I just wish the bosses would quit bringing it up every quarterly town hall like, “Remember that bullshit? Glad that’s over, am I right?”

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Barudak posted:

I join meetings early to small talk then dont say another word the entire time and get credit for being very involved

Back in the day when meetings were held in physical conference rooms I'd show up early and bring any random documentation that I needed to review; spread out a couple manuals on the table like I was studying them, then hastily shuffle them into a stack when people started to show up.
I got accolades from management for being such an efficient employee for this.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Great all hands teams call that is a Q&A format, pre-screened of course.

I love the response to the following question:

Q: I have noticed a lot of turnover in senior manager and director level, what is being done to retain people.

A: Jabber on about actually we have low turnover, and low vacancy rate (1.2%).

Just gloss over the fact that managers are not currently allowed to post any vacancies that occur. Also completely ignore the question to gaslight that the exact opposite of the question is the pitched reality.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

If they don't pay by Friday, it'll be 8 weeks since our last check.

On Monday, I told my boss I'm not coming to work until we get paid. He said he understands.

I'm still trying to get ahold of a lawyer.

I hate this poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JFC. Also call your state's labor board equivalent.

And file for unemployment.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Randy Travesty posted:

We're required to be licensed to sell what we sell. Full stop. Everyone who touches this stuff--operations, sales, compliance--everyone except the contract mail receipt/paperwork shuffler company.

It turns out maybe we shouldn't contract a big paper shuffler company to upload new business paperwork that is faxed, emailed, or physically mailed in, because in a very stringently regulated industry, we're allowing random folks in a random location access to all kinds of sensitive information they need to double check and verify, including PII, and also, very very large checks. Seven and eight figure checks.

A check has disappeared.

Wait, make that several checks, what have disappeared.

This will certainly not be a problem now for anyone, or later, and we're due our quarterly audit by a regulating body any time now, yay!!!! I'm just vibing.

Accenture?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Spaghett posted:

On Monday, I told my boss I'm not coming to work until we get paid. He said he understands.

I hate this poo poo.

:stare:

I've had this happen once with a startup, 25 years ago. Not nearly this severe, we just didn't have our bi-weekly checks show up when they were expected.
One guy walked out immediately and the place went under soon after.

*We did get paid after a couple of days.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Def calling the labor board.

I just don't understand why I'm the first guy to walk out. I also feel like a loving moron for waiting 7 weeks.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Somehow you're still the smartest person there, be glad

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I was in a contractor role and started looking around when I found some mail that showed they hadn't paid the electric bill for the office. Then my contracting firm said they hadn't paid in 90 days and were about to pull me from the contract soon. Fortunately I found something quickly so I was never without a paycheck.

Ran into one of the employees there a few months later at a soccer game, they lost the office but were happy to work from a coffee place once a week!!

--

Anyway, I only give it 2 days leeway as long as there's a very vocal "the paychecks are coming, they are late due to X reason that isn't our fault*" before the paychecks are supposed to hit the bank account. If it doesn't hit on time, I'm not coming in.

*it's always their fault

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Spaghett posted:

I hate this poo poo.

Good luck, goon. Let us know what happens on friday :ohdear:

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Worse. Way worse. You would poo poo bricks if I posted it.

They're famous for making copies and shipping paper.

This is an incredibly stressful highly regulated industry and FINRA will throw a brick through my window at some point so I'm trying to get upper management to understand this and yank the contract.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
When I worked fast food in high school, there was a gently caress up with getting checks printed and and they were a day late. One person quit because of that. She said that minute there was any pay issues she'd bounce, as she had happen with other jobs.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Once upon a time at a company I was working at the local telecom forwarded all the company phones and cellphones to the telecoms billing department due to nonpayment.

Then a couple weeks later a contractor asked me why they hadn't been paid in 90 days.

2 weeks later all of the company's vehicles insurance expired and they declared bankruptcy.

What I'm saying is just run, you're only wasting your own time.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Yup. All good advice. It's why I'm on LinkedIn and playing video games right now. gently caress those bastards.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Chewbecca posted:

Like if I had a whiff of being performance managed or otherwise manipulated out of an organisation, I would do everything in my power to find another job and leave. A HR lady told me years ago that in all transparency the preferred outcomes for most performance management cases is that they resign, so if that was on the cards I wouldn't want to be around knowing that.

I've even worked with people who were being performance managed and they fought tooth and nail to stay, even while being overwhelmingly in the wrong. Rightly or wrongly, I just don't want to deal with it.

Knowing the job market is poo poo changes things of course, but outside of that it's the sentiment I don't get.

I stuck around too long at a job in this sort of situation because I was wanted by the organization, just not by my brand new baby manager who wanted to pitch a new idea they had to maximize my productivity every time we had a 1:1.

"Your job is to keep upper management out of my way, not to fix me." was apparently Not OK To Say.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I was contacted by a former client who is working on a project we’d shared some time ago:

Client: Agency wants you to review our report and data and write an independent review.
Me: but … that’s “our” report – as in I co-authored it with you. How’s that independent? Tell them no. Find someone else. I’m pretty sure I threatened to throw their PM off a cable car years ago and their tech panel lead called me an uneducated hick.
Client: They’re insistent. Just send a proposal.
[this goes back and forth for a week of my arguing against]
Me to my Boss: This is a horrible idea. I won’t do it w/o you pulling equal time. You have no idea how bad this client is. It is going to be a disaster. The micromanagement is like nothing you’ve seen.
Boss: Suck it up buttercup, them’s billable hours. No discounted rates; load it up. Charge as much OT as you want. It’ll be fun working with you again!
Me to client: I lost my argument. It'll cost $$$ [I tried to make it go away one last way]
Client: thanks good buddy we’ll have a PO to you tomorrow. Just FYI my vacation starts tonight so I’ll be out of the loop for … oh a month or so.
[tomorrow] PO arrives
[5 minutes later] Agency rep: we require a progress report. How soon can we expect you to present your findings, in person, out-of-state, to the tech panel? Also we would like your home phone # and your emergency contacts…

I just shut off my machine and went to play in the garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
We keep uncovering lovely substandard work done by the contractors while trying to validate our utilities.

Unsurprisingly the head of engineering hasn't been launched into the sun. I don't know why anyone would listen to anything he has to say when overseeing this poo poo show.