Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
lot of effort to become first loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

A Buttery Pastry posted:

lot of effort to become first loser

that's the sweet spot they were aiming for. actually winning would make it too obvious.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mossad hard at work, I see.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

that's the sweet spot they were aiming for. actually winning would make it too obvious.

ruined by russians eastern europeans again

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

ruined by russians eastern europeans again

can't be too hard on armenia for this one i guess

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The fact that Ukraine voted for Switzerland is pretty interesting.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Big Israel can't have little israel beat them

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I wonder if this also has to do with Switzerland's upcoming fake-rear end Ukraine Peace Summit in June where Russia isn't invited. that's probably bought them some good will also

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

don't tell me he's a Moonie too

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
he committed the biggest crime of all: not wanting to send more weapons to ukraine

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

webcams for christ posted:

don't tell me he's a Moonie too

cia / ukrainian nazis

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

why is Georgia considered Europe? it's to the east of Turkey and it's not even in the several traditional geographical boundaries. is it the Christianity? they're not any whiter than a Turk or Azeri so that can't be it.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 17:04 on May 15, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

why is Georgia considered Europe? it's to the east of Turkey and it's not even in the several traditional geographical boundaries. is it the Christianity? they're not any whiter than a Turk or Azeri so that can't be it.

it's because they started a war with russia once. that's what it takes to get in the club

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

they look white op

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

They're in the European Broadcast Union so they're eligible to compete.

The EBU covers the entire Mediterranean including North Africa, plus the caucuses, so the "European" part doesn't seem to get in their way very much.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they look white op

so do the turks.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Weembles posted:

They're in the European Broadcast Union so they're eligible to compete.

The EBU covers the entire Mediterranean including North Africa, plus the caucuses, so the "European" part doesn't seem to get in their way very much.

australia has also competed in eurovision

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if australia gets to do it so should the us. lets send the american idol winner. dominate the competition.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lobster shirt posted:

if australia gets to do it so should the us. lets send the american idol winner. dominate the competition.
this attitude is why america could never get into the finals, nevermind win.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

this attitude is why america could never get into the finals, nevermind win.

we would crush eurovision so bad that it'd dissolve NATO. eurovision should preemptively ban the US to save itself

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

lobster shirt posted:

death to america

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

yes it's the christianity. the borders of historical "christendom" and "europe" are 1:1

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lil Nas X's performance of "Eur a Loser" causes every member of ABBA to kill themselves

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jazerus posted:

yes it's the christianity. the borders of historical "christendom" and "europe" are 1:1

Ethiopia, though.

In Georgia's case it's more the historic ties, several hundred years as a client state to Russia preceded by an on-again-off-again but most often on arrangement with Rome.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jazerus posted:

always been very partial to the idea that modern white supremacy developed in response to colonized peoples converting to christianity and colonizers needing to come up with a new way to justify their actions.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

always been very partial to the idea that modern white supremacy developed in response to colonized peoples converting to christianity and colonizers needing to come up with a new way to justify their actions.

I now also think this

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

Zodium posted:

iirc, sometime in the 13th (i think) century the pope had to make a declaration outlawing enslavement of christians cause every time an iberian navy captured moorish ships full of christian slaves they dealt with those slaves with an attitude that could be summed up as "sweet, already chained up and ready for market"

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Zodium posted:

yep. since this move occurred mostly before the founding of the USA, that's partially what made it such a great place for Jewish migrants, relative to Europe. Europeans didn't let go of their old bespoke race sciences as white supremacy developed

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Zodium posted:

hmm that’s a good take.

I was under the impression that it was because the plantation owners needed something to divide black slaves and irish workers who were starting to revolt together.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

hey mom its 420 posted:

hmm that’s a good take.

I was under the impression that it was because the plantation owners needed something to divide black slaves and irish workers who were starting to revolt together.

It can be more than 1 thing

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

hmm that’s a good take.

it was definitely multicausal, but obviously the central theme is dealing with the effects of the trans-atlantic slave trade (and the administration thereof)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jazerus posted:

some of the earliest jesus lovers were in asia though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

some of the earliest jesus lovers were in asia though

yes but "christendom" is not just a word for "everywhere that's christian" it meant places that were white and christian and contiguously attached to the european core. ethiopia didn't count, the eastern christian communities didn't count either.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yep. since this move occurred mostly before the founding of the USA, that's partially what made it such a great place for Jewish migrants, relative to Europe. Europeans didn't let go of their old bespoke race sciences as white supremacy developed

we put a lot of work into those race sciences

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

yes it does

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

theres a really good book about stuff like this called invention of the white race by teddy allen

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theres a really good book about stuff like this called invention of the white race by teddy allen

will read this. thank you.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yeah I have a friend dissertating right now on Jewish migration to the US, Jewish slave owners, and their theological arguments for and against. since the Christian perspectives are pretty well trodden ground. it's a huge field

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the invention of the white race, by doctor yakub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jazerus posted:

does this include Orthodox Christianity?