Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Has there been any mention of them doing a digital version of the TTRPG? All I’ve seen is that they’re already doing a second print of the physical edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Runa posted:

You definitely can buy mounts on the MB. The drat dodo goes for like three mil easy on Crystal, variations depending on server.

the criterion dungeon mounts go for a nice 10 mil. if rng favours you and drops you more than one every 25 clears they can fetch a pretty penny

aers
Feb 15, 2012

saw 5 mount drops in 6 clears among the whole party doing AAI practice runs for savage. you do have to hope someone buys it before you get bored of undercutting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Spent some time with Ninja today doing Orbonne Monastery, and I think jobs like that are always going to be beyond me. It just takes too much mental bandwidth for me to keep track of all my abilities/rotation and watch for mechanics. I keep letting my buffs expire, or abilities stay off cooldown for like 30 seconds before I remember to do them.

I think tanking is probably the easiest job type I've done. Less stuff to pay attention to, and controller makes using their OGCDs easy. I like that, unlike DPS (where you need to keep an eye on your cooldowns so you can use your OGCD buffs as they come off cooldown), the tank just needs to watch the actual boss (that you're already watching for mechanics) to know when to use their various mitigation skills.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Olesh posted:

Disable Vsync/framerate limits. The score is entirely dependent on total frames generated (and thus FPS), so if it's capped to 60, the score be lower than it could be.

It is uncapped and it was in fact dipping under 60 in several scenes which on a 3080 with DLSS I find quite unfathomable, graphics update or no.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

I forgot how much XP GC commissions can give. The starred ones give an entire level if they're HQ!

That'll definitely speed up capping my DoH jobs (5 are 80+, other 3 are 70/72/75).

You can buy mounts on the MB?

I was under the impression the boxes could also give mounts (though obviously at a way lower rate just because minions outnumber mounts like 50:1 or something).

If you have the cash you can turn in Marketboard items everyday and basically cap DoH/DoL jobs by doing absolutely nothing which is really funny to me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you have the cash you can turn in Marketboard items everyday and basically cap DoH/DoL jobs by doing absolutely nothing which is really funny to me.

This is what I've always done to level my crafters/gatherers. For DoL it's even easier than DoH.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ytlaya posted:

Spent some time with Ninja today doing Orbonne Monastery, and I think jobs like that are always going to be beyond me. It just takes too much mental bandwidth for me to keep track of all my abilities/rotation and watch for mechanics. I keep letting my buffs expire, or abilities stay off cooldown for like 30 seconds before I remember to do them.

I think tanking is probably the easiest job type I've done. Less stuff to pay attention to, and controller makes using their OGCDs easy. I like that, unlike DPS (where you need to keep an eye on your cooldowns so you can use your OGCD buffs as they come off cooldown), the tank just needs to watch the actual boss (that you're already watching for mechanics) to know when to use their various mitigation skills.

The secret to playing jobs that require high mental bandwidth is that you need to practice them until they don't require the mental bandwidth. It's like practicing a combo in a fighting game, if you have to think about what button to press next it means you'll never actually hit it during a real match so you gotta spend more time practicing it in training mode. Same goes for a more complicated DPS rotation, you just spend some time thwacking a training dummy until you aren't thinking about your rotation and your fingers do the work for you. Trying to practice a job that looks complicated by diving into content you also need to think about it just going to compound the mental stack and make everything seem impossible.

Not to say you must do this for Ninja specifically, but if there's a certain job that looks very cool to you but very intimidating that's the answer. I would be very very surprised if there's actually a DPS job in this game actually beyond most people's abilities if they spend time practicing it. Dummies aren't just there for people trying to orange parse savage, I basically spend 5-10 minutes beating one up any time I want to play a new job (or one that I haven't played in years and is effectively new). It's fun!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hitting a dummy for 30min does more to codify a rotation than the entire leveling process does tbh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RME posted:

Hitting a dummy for 30min does more to codify a rotation than the entire leveling process does tbh

This is really true. You don't really get a whole lot of zero-stress single target practice through the MSQ. You're too busy learning/doing mechanics to also really bake in your rotation.

Target dummy work also gives you the ability to move buttons around as they suit the rotational flow of a particular job.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah you can learn a lot from a dummy

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

its make it rain season

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Where leak

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

what do these "leaks" even contain i don't remember far back enough to endwalker pre-launch

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

generally the most notable leaked stuff from the media tour is job skills

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah there's usually someone who leaks job skills (which frankly is all I care about), since the NDA doesn't lift until probably early June. Though separating the leaks from the fake stuff isn't always easy, but tbh is part of the fun

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Quite the contrast from WoW where you know 6 months in advance what is changing. Not sure which I prefer to be fair.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Job Actions trailer tomorrow will show off all the new abilities with no context, and YoshiP will go over the general ideas for the jobs in 7.0 without getting too explicitly into the details. The Media Tour is a combination of a long series of interviews and also private testing for chosen participants (usually somewhat noteworthy youtube/twitch influencers and various media outlets/fansites). The embargo is mostly so everybody involved has time to get their ducks in a row and nobody involved gets to (fairly) scoop anybody else for clicks, so that's when all the tooltips will be known for (tentatively) certain. Of course, people are people, and even "I only shared with my most trusted friend!" gets spread to the far corners of the internet. Square-Enix has gotten more sophisticated watermarking in recent years, though, so they can generally tell whose account the leaks originated from and punish them accordingly.

Here's some of the leaks from Endwalker's media tour for example:

All of these were from before the media embargo lifted - some were piecemeal, others came in big collages. And then there were also some website failures - uploading pages early in a manner that could be accessed by the public.

(You can see the nixed Hyosetsu on this chart!)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 15, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We can make up some fake leaks if that will make you feel better

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

Warriors will be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Summoner can now summon a second Carbuncle :eyepop:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

I am confirming this leak

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

what if

purple carbuncle

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Pictomancer is going to have a buff that aligns with every two minutes, and viper is going to have a buff that goes off every one minute.

Their skills will build up some kind of bar and you spend 50 meter to push a button with a cool animation.

Viper will have exactly two skills that have positionals. (one flank, one rear)

Bard and Dancer are going to get an extra party mitigation.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

what if

purple carbuncle

I'm still surprised since introducing egi/pet glamour, they still haven't added bonus ones to collect, such as a purple one, or the Onyx and other ones we see NPCs with.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

petglamour will get a UI

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

what if

purple carbuncle

All the Summoner books will be replaced by a single gauntlet.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

alphinaud did the arcanist equivalent of turning his old obsidian carbuncle into glue

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Let you swap all egi and pets so you can use Titan for your scholar heals if you like

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FuturePastNow posted:

the classic

made even funnier because we're probably actually getting this in Dawntrail

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pictomancer will have a pvp move where they change your glam into a clownsuit.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

gay devil posted:

alphinaud did the arcanist equivalent of turning his old obsidian carbuncle into glue

They should make a SGE glam where your funnels are small Carbuncles

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doomykins posted:

Just have it disable glams and expose everyone as frauds.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best leak was the mistranslation on Sole Survivor that implied it activated on ally death. Or the one that said Samurai was getting a Jewish skill

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Countblanc posted:

The secret to playing jobs that require high mental bandwidth is that you need to practice them until they don't require the mental bandwidth. It's like practicing a combo in a fighting game, if you have to think about what button to press next it means you'll never actually hit it during a real match so you gotta spend more time practicing it in training mode. Same goes for a more complicated DPS rotation, you just spend some time thwacking a training dummy until you aren't thinking about your rotation and your fingers do the work for you. Trying to practice a job that looks complicated by diving into content you also need to think about it just going to compound the mental stack and make everything seem impossible.

Not to say you must do this for Ninja specifically, but if there's a certain job that looks very cool to you but very intimidating that's the answer. I would be very very surprised if there's actually a DPS job in this game actually beyond most people's abilities if they spend time practicing it. Dummies aren't just there for people trying to orange parse savage, I basically spend 5-10 minutes beating one up any time I want to play a new job (or one that I haven't played in years and is effectively new). It's fun!

A lot of jobs that were beyond me tightened up a lot leveling them all to 90 just from experience. Not necessarily enough that I could walk into Savage with them and be competent (definitely not optimal), but I could at least figure out what they were supposed to be doing.

I always chuckle when people complain Bard's difficult for example. I get it, you have 5 different long timers to manage so that everything lines up, as well as watching for ability procs, and that can feel intimidating like you need to process everything at once. But at any given time you're only processing one or two things and after playing it for so many years I could do it blindfolded and focus purely on the fight mechanics. "I hit all this stuff at the same time. When this timer runs out I hit the next song and refresh dots. Then when this ability refreshes in 45 seconds I hit the next song, and when that has 30 seconds left I refresh dots. Then I repeat. The rest of the time I don't have to care about those timers, they're doing their own thing."

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Joke's on you. All of my glams are already clownsuits.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bruceski posted:

A lot of jobs that were beyond me tightened up a lot leveling them all to 90 just from experience. Not necessarily enough that I could walk into Savage with them and be competent (definitely not optimal), but I could at least figure out what they were supposed to be doing.

I always chuckle when people complain Bard's difficult for example. I get it, you have 5 different long timers to manage so that everything lines up, as well as watching for ability procs, and that can feel intimidating like you need to process everything at once. But at any given time you're only processing one or two things and after playing it for so many years I could do it blindfolded and focus purely on the fight mechanics. "I hit all this stuff at the same time. When this timer runs out I hit the next song and refresh dots. Then when this ability refreshes in 45 seconds I hit the next song, and when that has 30 seconds left I refresh dots. Then I repeat. The rest of the time I don't have to care about those timers, they're doing their own thing."

What sucks is that when you die everything gets screwed up. Or if the boss goes invulnerable at just the right time. I do agree that with practice it's not so many spinning plates as it seems but it was complex enough for me to still downgrade to a simpler class eventually.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alxprit posted:

What sucks is that when you die everything gets screwed up. Or if the boss goes invulnerable at just the right time. I do agree that with practice it's not so many spinning plates as it seems but it was complex enough for me to still downgrade to a simpler class eventually.

Makes sense, everybody has different things they click with. And yeah, it can be a headache to manage if things fall apart at the wrong time. Everybody has some of that, but some DPS can catch up much more easily than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

jesus christ why did they give the kappa costume toes