Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn’t start playing gta online to have “fun”; I started because I hate my job and don’t take it seriously

Also I just found out that if you call a merryweather helicopter you can fast rope to the ground once you reach your destination. Pretty useless but also pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of things that aren’t fun: the hangar. I shouldn’t have bought it but I did and I want to sink just a little more cost in it before I bail on it entirely.

Are there cutoffs to keep track of to ensure a single vehicle delivery? Googling Reddit suggests that the answer is no, you might get a multiplayer mission even with one crate, but it looks like all these posts were made before they added land options to the source/sell missions (at least I think that was a later addition). Does selling by land change the math at all, or is the hangar still bullshit in that way?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The hangar can force you into multiple vehicles with but a single crate.

Don’t ask me how that works, it’s stupid

But that’s part of why I said to not do crates. Good to have a hangar though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bought the hangar to go chill out at the base and it's served its purpose very well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mp5 posted:

The hangar can force you into multiple vehicles with but a single crate.

Don’t ask me how that works, it’s stupid

But that’s part of why I said to not do crates. Good to have a hangar though.

well...that sucks. oops. ah well, at least i have a place to put planes now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dokapon Findom posted:

Gotta get the Agency (which is distinct from your Office!) so you can manage your Auto Shop which is different from your Vehicle Warehouse (which is not at all like your regular Warehouse and definitely not the same as your Salvage Yard!) all from the comfort of your Facility, making sure to periodically check on your Bunker, Clubhouse, and whatever other properties you get a call every time you log in telling you you needed to buy. I wonder how much playing it would take to recoup the initial investment in these properties relative to when the fun starts? If time is money then the cards are the best investment you can make.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ainsley McTree posted:

well...that sucks. oops. ah well, at least i have a place to put planes now

Yes and it’s nice to have my own customized LAZER instead of having to go steal one every time

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The land delivery and sourcing missions for the hangar business are all single vehicle and intentionally soloable, according to a youtube video I saw.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

THF13 posted:

The land delivery and sourcing missions for the hangar business are all single vehicle and intentionally soloable, according to a youtube video I saw.

I dicked around a little and this seems to be the case so far yeah, all the source missions have been easily soloable (very repetitive, but that’s pretty much everything in this game I guess). I only did one sell mission, with like three crates, but it was soloable too. Don’t know if that scales up to 50 or if I’ll ever find out though. Either way, it’s funny if the key to playing hangar content is “don’t fly planes”

Speaking of planes; if I wanted a very fast plane for travel purposes (ie, a mission is sending me across the map and I don’t feel like driving or flying my buzzard), what would be a good one to get? Google seems to suggest pyro or raiju would be good choices (I’m also eyeing the one that looks like an early Cold War mig because I love that aesthetic but I do want to go fast), is there anything better? I’m willing to spend decent money but if there’s like, a 1.5 mil jet that’s 90% as good as a 6 mil jet, I’m interested. Single seaters fine, don’t think I care about weapons, I just want to fly across the island and parachute and afaict you can’t see what a plane’s top speed is before you buy one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd be wary of using planes primarily to get around. They generally have relatively few spawn points so you may need to travel to get to it, then takeoff, then find a good landing spot. Oppressors spawn wherever a car can be delivered, and so can (very nearly) a kosatka sparrow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd be wary of using planes primarily to get around. They generally have relatively few spawn points so you may need to travel to get to it, then takeoff, then find a good landing spot. Oppressors spawn wherever a car can be delivered, and so can (very nearly) a kosatka sparrow.

The rest of your post, sure, but :lol: at this part. My Raju goes literally anywhere I want it to. And if I had a normal plane, I'd just pick the closest street.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm bad at the game so landing a plane for me usually meant crashing into a bunch of street lights and exploding.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The Raiju can do vertical takeoff and landing like a Harrier, so you can land it basically like a helicopter

It also goes really fast in jet mode

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It’s also really expensive IIRC so keep that in mind

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The rest of your post, sure, but :lol: at this part. My Raju goes literally anywhere I want it to. And if I had a normal plane, I'd just pick the closest street.

Plus my intention is to just jump out over the destination and halo jump in like a cool guy

You don’t lose anything significant if you blow up a plane you own, do you? I’ve never bothered to check

That is a good point about takeoff though, I haven’t tried summoning planes too much yet so yeah if they spawn somewhere annoying then that doesn’t help me be less annoyed

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Plus my intention is to just jump out over the destination and halo jump in like a cool guy

You don’t lose anything significant if you blow up a plane you own, do you? I’ve never bothered to check

That is a good point about takeoff though, I haven’t tried summoning planes too much yet so yeah if they spawn somewhere annoying then that doesn’t help me be less annoyed

You don’t lose anything you just have to call Mors to get it replaced if you jump out like that and it crashes

By all means go for it if it sounds fun, that’s the whole point of making your money

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Ainsley McTree posted:

It costs $1K to replace my Besra through Mors when it gets destroyed. I figured the cost of buying a hangar on base, which yields mostly unfettered access to unlimited Lazers, is a better buy than actually purchasing one of the jets with actual offensive weaponry and potentially paying the admittedly small fee to replace them. Crash 'em and forget 'em!

Dokapon Findom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 16, 2024

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I enjoy having a Laser painted my way but it’s 100% a superfluous luxury buy

And now that the cannons have been nerfed I use it a lot less anyway

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When I'm doing CEO business things I still mainly use the CEO Buzzard, even over my Oppressor Mk II a lot of the time because it's so disposable

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I can do everything on keyboard and mouse at least as well as with a controller, except fly land a helicopter.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Take Two had an earnings call or some other business thing today, the relevant bit is that the GTA 6 release window got narrowed from '2025' to 'fall 2025'

It's still ages away and still has plenty of time to get delayed :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The release date of GTA 5 will be closer to the release of GTA 3 than it is to GTA 6.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just hope we can get one more gta5 on a new system before 6 comes out

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
When do we start getting a mobile port of GTA5

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HJE-Cobra posted:

When do we start getting a mobile port of GTA5

San Andreas is on iPhone, give it a few generations

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s already quite possible. Assassin’s Creed Mirage is about to launch on iPhone 15 (the pro models anyway), and I can’t imagine that’s a less demanding game than GTA V.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On one hand, GTA V ran on the 360 which had 512mb of shared memory.

On the other, they didn't even bother getting GTA 3 running well on the XSX.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Powershift posted:

The release date of GTA 5 will be closer to the release of GTA 3 than it is to GTA 6.

GTA is a land of contrasts :shrug:

GTAV Sells Over 200mil Units in 11 Years

tl;dr GTAV has insane success over multiple console generations and is only beaten in overall sales by Minecraft and Tetris

How many records will GTA666 break when it finally comes out? I know I'll be there day one on whatever latest Sony console happens to be the hottest tech; who's with me?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yup, 100%. Say what you will about Rockstar, and there’s a loving lot you can say about them, but their track record is insanely good.

Oh and if you’re feeling insecure about your age, look away now

Vice City was released in 2002, loaded with nostalgia for the prehistoric era of 1986. So if GTA VI does the same thing, it’ll be set in 2008 :gonk:

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

webmeister posted:

Yup, 100%. Say what you will about Rockstar, and there’s a loving lot you can say about them, but their track record is insanely good.

Oh and if you’re feeling insecure about your age, look away now

Vice City was released in 2002, loaded with nostalgia for the prehistoric era of 1986. So if GTA VI does the same thing, it’ll be set in 2008 :gonk:

GTA 6 is going to be contemporary.
However! At current release rates, if they set GTA 7 20 years in the past then that will also be set in 2025

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's rough, though, for me to think about a virtual world like GTA, not set in Los Santos. Sure, Vice City and Liberty City have also been represented, but GTAV was truly the first one with a huge amount of depth and personality.

I know they all have personality, but 5 had the most, and it's so strange to think of not being in that world. I want to do heists organized by creepy uncle Lester. I want to steal cars for Simeon. I want Mutt to tell me that it's gonna cost me, and I want to run up against those Merryweather fucks when on a job. I'm going to miss Del Perro, Vespucci Beach, Vinewood, and Blaine County.

I know 6 will likely have its own hosed up charm, but goddamn, it has a lot to live up to.

I know it'll have purchasable property, but nothing will ever beat the first time you get your own apartment (in online), and look out the huge window, and realize that you're looking at poo poo happening in real-time, because your friends are blowing something up and you're seeing it all.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 17, 2024

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Calling my shot now; gta6 will have a crypto currency called buttcoin and ride share apps called luber and gryft

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's rough, though, for me to think about a virtual world like GTA, not set in Los Santos. Sure, Vice City and Liberty City have also been represented, but GTAV was truly the first one with a huge amount of depth and personality.

I know they all have personality, but 5 had the most, and it's so strange to think of not being in that world. I want to do heists organized by creepy uncle Lester. I want to steal cars for Simeon. I want Mutt to tell me that it's gonna cost me, and I want to run up against those Merryweather fucks when on a job. I'm going to miss Del Perro, Vespucci Beach, Vinewood, and Blaine County.

I know 6 will likely have its own hosed up charm, but goddamn, it has a lot to live up to.

I know it'll have purchasable property, but nothing will ever beat the first time you get your own apartment (in online), and look out the huge window, and realize that you're looking at poo poo happening in real-time, because your friends are blowing something up and you're seeing it all.

lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ainsley McTree posted:

Calling my shot now; gta6 will have a crypto currency called buttcoin

Truly the non fuckable tuchus.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

For real it'll suck if the map is in any way smaller. Vice City was originally supposed to include both a Key West and Everglades type areas; I imagine these will consume a fair amount of the area in the new game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The mapping project is going strong, based on both the trailer and also with material from the leaks (a lot of the footage had rockstar mapping coordinates visible). This is the current iteration (linking because it's colossal)
https://gtaforums.com/uploads/monthly_2024_05/image.png.53a55618debb53cdfc6bbd9fcf4a34fe.png

Current estimate is that it's probably twice the size of GTA V, and it's also worth remembering a lot of V's map is kinda empty with the two colossal mountains. Looks like there's a lot more enterable buildings too, though it's hard to tell as I think there's a bit of parallax trickery happening around the windows in the trailer (ie making a 2D window look like a 3D area).

I was actually thinking about putting together a GTA VI thread the other day, even though there's still fairly limited info. Would be a better place to post/speculate/:f5: than the reddit cesspool anyway :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like it’s a generally unpopular opinion, but I like large spaces, even if there’s not much going on. For me it makes a difference in immersion, moving through the world, when distances are somewhat realistic in an open world. At least it does when the game emulates a real world contemporary setting.

As far as enterable buildings go, I seem to remember speculation about procedural generation based on job postings. I’m surprised that it hasn’t happened yet anywhere. If something like Esri CityEngine could already generate fairly large and detailed outsides decently over a decade ago, I’m surprised no one is doing it for interiors yet.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

Nobody knows this because noone played it, but the Saints Row reboot did the parallax window effect thing. It's pretty neat tech!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can anyone recommend a guide (or heck, just tell me if you want) for the most efficient way to do Cayo Perico solo? I tried looking on my own, but google is pretty dire for this kind of thing, and also I can't tell how much of the stuff I've found is still good, since I guess they rebalanced the heist at some point and I don't know if it makes old methods obsolete.

I'll probably dick around with the heist myself a few more times before trying to minmax it because it seems pretty fun, but eventually I'll want to know what i'm doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can anyone recommend a guide (or heck, just tell me if you want) for the most efficient way to do Cayo Perico solo? I tried looking on my own, but google is pretty dire for this kind of thing, and also I can't tell how much of the stuff I've found is still good, since I guess they rebalanced the heist at some point and I don't know if it makes old methods obsolete.

I'll probably dick around with the heist myself a few more times before trying to minmax it because it seems pretty fun, but eventually I'll want to know what i'm doing

There are 3 YouTubers who aren't horrible and have a few Cayo Perico video guides. Those guys are TGG, The Professional, and Subscribe for Tacos.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have multiple playthrough guides both pre and post balancing (if there even was any balancing? I can't remember, but if there was, they likely made a 15 minute video about it.)