Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shuro is a loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Pitch posted:

Does Dungeon Meshi ever reveal some important detail to recontextualize that Shuro did not own Izutsumi as a slave? Like, his father bought her for money, they made her work for room and board, and Maizuru put a curse on her to prevent her from leaving?

In the bonus material it shows she's mostly owned by Maizuru rather than Shuro directly. I'm 90% sure almost everything reveled about his team is bonus material that won't be animated so I don't think it's a spoiler to say Shuro's dad came home drunk one day all "I bought you a pet cat Maizuru" and the cat was actually people whoops.

So it's mostly Maizuru's and his dad's bad rather than Shuro's although he probably should of grew a spine and told them to release her but yeah they 100% had a slave.

Whitenoise Poster has issued a correction as of 06:12 on May 15, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Pitch posted:

Well the other girls clearly are clearly feudal servants but Izutsumi is the only one who clearly resents servitude but is compelled to obey on the threat of death.

edit: maybe servitude is implicitly on pain of death for all of them and only Izutsumi needs a concrete reminder idk. now we seen the violence inherent in the system.

servants willingly served their masters all the time, because being a retainer to nobility gave you leeway to lord over lower orders. Tade is also a servant/slave but IIRC her life was saved on account of her being a persecuted Oni or something (Tade doesn't get much characterization in the manga) and she's grateful for living in the manor and eating the master's food. Izutsumi afaik is the only one who has a literal knife dangling over her head in case she breaches contract.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I assume she had the death collar because shes a beastperson

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also, for the anime onlys, at the end each chapter of the manga there were little mini comics about each of the monsters we just seen. Mostly just some jokes and a little more monster world building. The anime has skipped past all of them and we are past this one so here is one more bit of information about the curse.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Majorian posted:

Konosuba's dub is great.

Also Franky sounds stupid in One Piece's sub, while Ian Sinclair's take on Brook elevates the character.

I'm very tired, so these are my thoughts on dubs vs subs.

franky is frankly a bad character

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

January 6 Survivor posted:

I mean Supernatural's last season was also particularly badly received by tumblr who kind of realized that they had been gay-baited for like 12 years for poo poo payoff.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They weren't "gay-baited" for 12 years, they thought their incest headcanon was real. The show even made fun of them for it.

Immaterial. The show runners could have been more forceful about calling the shippers creep lords and it wouldn't matter. The thing driving supernatural fans to melt down is that fandom platform has 'rejected them' by not letting them remain the most popular thing for decades. The sacred institution of Voting has failed them. It kinda mirrors the whiplash the Gundam Wing fandom experienced when they lost relevancy due to the passage of time.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

trying to enjoy MHA, after 110 episodes its starting to get interesting, still lol at the creator thinking its appropriate for one of the high school girls powers is flashing her boobs to create objects. Jesus Christ man.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

well he did kill off the actual pedophile teacher with sleeping gas powers, he's improving

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

is the grape headed guy still alive

lmk when he’s dead

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

trying to enjoy MHA, after 110 episodes its starting to get interesting, still lol at the creator thinking its appropriate for one of the high school girls powers is flashing her boobs to create objects. Jesus Christ man.

the straw hats had recruited chopper and were in alabasta by episode 110

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wolfs posted:

Really? He seems pretty reliably fun whenever he has panel time in the manga. Just a cool weird nerd in the process of turning himself into a Mazinger. His gimmicks aren't as annoying as, say, Sanji's.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

franky rules wtf

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
franky is a fun character but the post timeskip design is such an insane downgrade

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Boukyaku Battery has the voice actor of the guy who played the producer from Zombieland Saga and he is going all out on that one again. It's been more like a gag comedy show than a typical sports anime which is good.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

wolfs posted:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

wolfs posted:

lmk when he’s dead

oh ya that kid is cringe incarnate

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Didn’t he turn out to be bi?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think One Piece fans view One Piece in the same way I view Zatch Bell.

The new Zatch Bell series is so great. Every single chapter has been amazing.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

to be fair to MHA one piece didnt really grab me until water seven and i didnt feel hooked until Sabaody Archipelago

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Gripweed posted:

Didn’t he turn out to be bi?

No he just used a particular word in Japanese (惚れる) when talking to Deku that people thought had more romantic implications than it actually had.

MHA has bad writing. They introduced the "create any and all matter" superpower-having girl like she was gonna be a super badass and she just sucks the entire time, the entire manga she sucks. She can't do anything right, like even once. Despite having one of the most broken superpowers she's just a useless lump

Instead, the guy who can sweat nitroglycerin (something the create-matter girl can also do) is portrayed as way stronger and much more capable.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

wolfs posted:

lmk when he’s dead

Grape Baby Quagmire is still alive, yes.

Ytlaya posted:

I love how the villains in the Sherry/Brago fight all look like they walked straight out of the most 80's thing imaginable. They had Krang, a guy who looks like the Hulk, some sort of Madonna-looking lady with Piranha Plants attached to her costume, and that dude in the shoulder pads wearing a Space Invaders crop-top shirt.

Speaking of which, the new chapter with Dr. Riddles just dropped on Mangadex and Dr. Rockso has joined the fight out of nowhere.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Augus posted:

Shuro is a loser

He is really good at sword though

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lotta good shows out there, no reason to force yourself to watch 100+ episodes of MHA.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think One Piece fans view One Piece in the same way I view Zatch Bell.

real one piece fans view it as a pseudo-religious text like the the divine comedy or journey to the west

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

net work error posted:

Lotta good shows out there, no reason to force yourself to watch 100+ episodes of MHA.

well tbf I have it on as background noise and pay attention when it seems like action might happen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Popy posted:

to be fair to MHA one piece didnt really grab me until water seven and i didnt feel hooked until Sabaody Archipelago

It grabbed me from chapter 1 and then really grabbed me at Arlong Park and then really really grabbed me at Water 7

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you dont fall in love eith one piece on page 1 when luffy stabs himself in the face then i dont know what to tell you. see a doctor

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Every female character is a sex doll or a child

E: this is referring to MHA

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I did not find the tall ferret lady sexy

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Scarabrae posted:

trying to enjoy MHA, after 110 episodes its starting to get interesting

lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
what tall ferret lady

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Regarde Aduck posted:

what tall ferret lady

Yeah, what tall ferret lady?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
*BANGS ON TABLE*

FERRET LADY!?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Nah look whatchya done did, ya gone and riled up the furries.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://youtu.be/C-d1ekMq360
This uh ordinary woman

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KirbyKhan posted:

Immaterial. The show runners could have been more forceful about calling the shippers creep lords and it wouldn't matter. The thing driving supernatural fans to melt down is that fandom platform has 'rejected them' by not letting them remain the most popular thing for decades. The sacred institution of Voting has failed them. It kinda mirrors the whiplash the Gundam Wing fandom experienced when they lost relevancy due to the passage of time.
i simply wouldn't become emotionally invested in any of this bullshit

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TenementFunster posted:

i simply wouldn't become emotionally invested in any of this bullshit

this is why you'll never be a True Fan

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

My Hero would make so much more sense if it took place at university/college level. They go on internships, they live in a dorm, and all the conversation around the women would be so much less bad. Still sexist, but you know, better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Casey Finnigan posted:

No he just used a particular word in Japanese (惚れる) when talking to Deku that people thought had more romantic implications than it actually had.

MHA has bad writing. They introduced the "create any and all matter" superpower-having girl like she was gonna be a super badass and she just sucks the entire time, the entire manga she sucks. She can't do anything right, like even once. Despite having one of the most broken superpowers she's just a useless lump

Instead, the guy who can sweat nitroglycerin (something the create-matter girl can also do) is portrayed as way stronger and much more capable.

It's funny how in the hands of a good writer you can take a character with a seemingly lovely power (controls insects) and believably make her into terrifying threat, but in the hands of a bad writer something as powerful as the ability to just produce whatever object or device you want feels weak

Similarly, in High Card, there's an (exceedingly rich) character whose power is that he can instantly turn an amount of money into any object with an equivalent value. He mostly uses it to produce rocket launchers and explosives. I know side characters shouldn't really overshadow the protagonists but like, c'mon. It just makes the protagonists feel incompetent knowing they've got a million clever options at their disposal and having them choose none of them