Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

or any two languages. another case where the educational enrichment of the world is stunted because a few woke sjws want to push an agenda or save face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CaptainBeefart posted:

When I'm trying to get my cats attention:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

phil fish was just a little bitch lol cancelled fez 2 because he couldnt take some heat on twitter

"Creative Type goes on twitter, recieves literally any public criticism, goes insane" is such a weirdly common story. Phil Fish, the Sinfest guy, JK Rowling, etc etc.

Honest Thief posted:

they should remake all the early wizardrys, wanna see the crazy second or third sequel where u play as the villain from the first game in all its glory

Lol i would love to see modern peoples reaction to a remade Wizardry 4, maybe the most "gently caress You, Player" game in an extremely "gently caress You, Player"

Playing through an old school blobber while having no direct control of your party is awful on its own (you summon monsters that would be in random encounters in previous games), and then the puzzles and maps are built to actively gently caress with people who've played the previous 3 games.

The game has a "true ending" that requires fairly in-depth knowledge of Kabbalah mysticism.

Paper Sorcerer has big Wizardry 4 vibes, and its fairly tough, but its nowhere near the difficulty of the original. Combat was too weird and grindy for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Durf posted:

also Homeworld 3 is out and has a 7/2 split in pro/user reviews. lots of people freaking out about DRM at first glance.

i ended up refunding it. wasn't feeling it, big meh from me. i might get it back on sale for <$15 or fitgirl in the future but I got too much to play right now and it wasn't wow-ing me.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ubisoft has a big Star Wars slopfest coming out soon. It has the brand so it'll prob do alright. I know I'm gonna log in to hacker.co.uk and initiate the crypto firewall degausser in order to play it for free

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lpzie posted:

no game that has both Japanese and English support has the courage to let you turn on subtitles in both languages at once cause then you'd realize how woke the translation was.

Not played animal well yet I see

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

External Organs posted:

Not played animal well yet I see

go on....

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hope you're all ready for 6 months of heated discourse about yasuke being the protagonist of the new AssCreed game

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

don't care

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

too bad

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I guess it's a good opportunity to remind that I have a low opinion of the whole posting tweets just to get mad at thing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's not like they made him up
he's got a wiki page and everything
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

the only necessary discourse is that this ubisoft subdivision also made Odyssey and Kassandra was best so only a fool would pick Yasuke this time thinking they've suddenly changed course

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's literally an edit war going on over a single paragraph on his Wikipedia page insisting that Yasuke was not in fact an honorable samurai!!!!!!

One dude in the Talk page is writing his posts in Japanese then English saying we must protect the history and culture of the Japanese People and Society.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 03:40 on May 16, 2024

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Augus posted:

hope you're all ready for 6 months of heated discourse about yasuke being the protagonist of the new AssCreed game
does anyone actually even get hyped for a new asscreed anymore? i don't hate them, infact, i quite liked 2, bf, origins, and lesser degree odyssey. but I'm just thoroughly done with that game design, just thinking about it feels exhausting. it feels like too much :effort: to even bother considering :filez:ing it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

1stGear posted:

There's literally an edit war going on over a single paragraph on his Wikipedia page insisting that Yasuke was not in fact an honorable samurai!!!!!!

no he was a perfidious assassin obvsly

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the last ubisoft game I can ever think of devoting real thought to was the far cry caveman game

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the fact that one of the characters is yasuke and the other is a ninja means its going to be very paint by numbers. you assassinate wholesome progressive nobunaga's enemies until you recover the apple from mt hiei/uesugi kenshin which makes nobunaga go crazy and you have to tearfully kill him. or akechi was a secret templar the whole time, or both

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
the people who get hyped for the latest asscreed have never played anything besides mainstream AAA titles

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

u'r gonna assassinate takeda shingen using new in-game flute mechanics.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Buck Wildman posted:

the last ubisoft game I can ever think of devoting real thought to was the far cry caveman game

same, that's the last one that sticks out in my mind. I read somewhere the devs consulted linguists who constructed a fictional prehistoric language with three distinct dialects

I can't imagine Ubisoft bothering to do that now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will say it doesn't look nearly as environmentally distinct as Tsushima either. Even just the pre-rendered FMV looks way too monotone and cluttered

Like you're allowed to use bright colors in your games and give me beautiful waving fields of pampas grass

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

you like what you see?

it's gone :(

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xaris posted:

e: lol everytime at the video. I forgot penny arcade still exists??? wtf. talk about meteoric falll to irrelevance, that was fast. I don’t think I ever lollled as hard as seeing the picture of tycho gabe irl for the first time. actually now that I think about it seeing Maddox was very loving funny too

seems like they faded into irrelevance but PAX seems to be a big thing as far as conventions go. although i don't know if they're involved with it or not

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mods looting me every day. absolute bullshit

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dreylad posted:

seems like they faded into irrelevance but PAX seems to be a big thing as far as conventions go. although i don't know if they're involved with it or not
that's weird. but I guess a lasting legacy of gaming conventions is a pretty good haul. wonder if there's any connection at all or if it's pretty much solely divorced seperate entity at this point that no one even knows what it stands for

certainly better than how goonmeets ended up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my hot take is that Assassin's Creed Valhalla is a fine example of a game with an extremely long playtime that doesn't accomplish that by weighing itself down with GaaS bullshit

that may well be a very low bar, but Ubisoft managed to clear it

Assassin's Creed Mirage, on the other hand, is Ubisoft taking the lesson of "maybe don't make a game that needs over a thousand hours to complete?" and "assassination moves, when executed properly, should always kill a target, regardless of the leveled-enemy/gearscore system that you have" and applying it, and mostly pulling it off. That it didn't make a splash was mostly a consequence of 2023 being a banner year for games, as well as the PC version not being on Steam.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GregTech rear end final ultimate transport is complete and staffed up with 2 hovertank launchers and 24 psi strength boosting power armored terminators weighted down with all the expensive to manufacture super weapons I've been holding in reserve for exactly this, including 2 blaster launchers, 1 Cataclysm launcher, and 4 psykers. Next session with this modpack will be the last, which is a shame because it has been a blast. Interested to see how the mod maker has spiced up Cydonia

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Never would've described myself as a TRPG fan, I knew I liked this game but never really tried any others, but they're really fun. Shame it's inexplicably the most anime genre after gachas. May give the new ones a try next...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
wtf is assassin creed mirage

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

Never would've described myself as a TRPG fan, I knew I liked this game but never really tried any others, but they're really fun. Shame it's inexplicably the most anime genre after gachas. May give the new ones a try next...
now that mainline xcom is dead we have to feed from the trough off things like phoenix point and xenonauts and pray harebrained schemes makes it from their wounded state, feels bad man

also they're going to add gacha to this genre, so that's going to be funny

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

it’s that thing where you’re in the desert and you think you see a good assassins creed game but it’s fake.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

now that mainline xcom is dead we have to feed from the trough off things like phoenix point and xenonauts and pray harebrained schemes makes it from their wounded state, feels bad man

also they're going to add gacha to this genre, so that's going to be funny

Still holding out hope we get a modern TFTD, but given their choices after XCOM2 were Marvel Midnight Suns and then apparently a Sims competitor it seems grim.

Wonder if the modern ones have overhauls that aren't centered around making it a grueling 100+ hour campaign

Was Lamplighter's League a disappointment?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

midding, it seems. setting really isn't that great and it seemed hbs would much rather have done a shadowrun game but paradox demanded all of the money instead of 95% of the money

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phoenix Point was Gollop himself too, was disappointed to hear it wasn't great.

Maybe I should just get an emulator running on my handheld and play some FFT, is Tactics Advance the one with the fun OG translation? It's not an easy game to find a legit way to play if you loathe phone gaming

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I've gotten sucked into a hades 2 hole, I am so much worse at this game though because you can't just dash forever away from all of your problems like in Hades 1

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr. Lobe posted:

because you can't just dash forever away from all of your problems like in Hades 1

hgmm this is very disturbing to hear about......

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

it was the next AC game after Valhalla. It came out in October last year, and reviewed really well. It was set in 9th century Baghdad, and as I said, looked like it had taken a lot of lessons-learned from Valhalla.

Epic High Five posted:

Phoenix Point was Gollop himself too, was disappointed to hear it wasn't great.

my understanding is that Phoenix Point is good now, after receiving a bunch of patches (and escaping from Epic Games exclusivity). What I thought was particularly innovative is that instead of using boardgame-like percentage hit-rates, Phoenix Point uses a "really real" (my phrasing) way of aiming where you get a reticle, and shots will land somewhere on it. If a target is far, then it takes up less of the reticle, so shots are less likely to hit. If you use a more aimed shot, the reticle is smaller, so shots are more likely to hit. If a target is close enough, and large enough, and your reticle is large enough, the target can take up the whole reticle, and you can start trying to land shots on specific bits of anatomy.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

Was Lamplighter's League a disappointment?

they made some incredibly bad basic game design decisions that made it pretty disappointing in the end, unfortunately

atelier morgan posted:

lamplighter commits a cardinal sin in that it has a big cast of interesting characters and the more variety in characters you have access to the more interesting options you have in the tactical gameplay, but the incentive structure of the strategic gameplay is set against you getting more than the practical minimum number and using one good combo over and over, so i ended up checking out most of the way through

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 06:35 on May 16, 2024

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i didn't like mirage very much

the story also completely fails to justify the games existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

loquacius posted:

Vampire Survivors is good, I should pick that back up as a brain-turned-off game at some point

The key is mostly just to remember which items pair with each other and I'd have to pick that back up

It prompts you now