Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the original lore when they were introduced at the start of 3rd edition was to explain why they weren't in the 2nd edition Codex, because they were kind of a cult unto themselves, cutting around on their jump packs apart from the other traitor command structures, sometimes entering into the service of Chaos Lords here and there. I guess the idea was life in the warp with a jetpack on was so different that they became their own thing. It may have been a minor retcon as they might have previously been saying Astartes jump pack tech hadn't reached widespread use in the Heresy era.

more or less. quoth the blurb alongside their stats:

Third Edition Chaos Codex posted:

At the time of the Horus Heresy, the Adeptus Astartes made very limited use of jump packs. Those that escaped to the Eye of Terror with theirs were a rare breed who, after millennia swooping and soaring in the burning skies of the Daemon Worlds, became a faction that cut across the boundaries of the Traitor Legions, unified by the thrill of the hunt. Down the centuries their equipment has mutated in the way of Chaos, fusing the original machinery with daemonic power. Now their battle cries are amplified to project a howling scream that drives their prey before them.

a 0-1 choice too (as are oblits), so the changes from then to now are quite palpable looking back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

The Secret Missions themselves are each distinct enough that a canny opponent can guess what you’re trying to do, so you’ll need to obfuscate your movements to slip it past their notice. Command Insertion rewards a sudden dash to seize the enemy deployment zone with your WARLORD – especially good for fast-moving characters or units that can redeploy mid-battle – while War of Attrition instead wants you to eliminate or push back their BATTLELINE units, while smothering their territory with your own.

If your opponent thinks you’re trying to achieve Command Insertion, and retreats a BATTLELINE unit to contest that backline objective, it could very well let you win the War of Attrition instead. Alpharius would be proud!

Ok but what if your WARLORD is your BATTLELINE unit? Not that I imagine most people would charge their Lord Solar across the field, even though that might be funny once.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lostconfused posted:

Ok but what if your WARLORD is your BATTLELINE unit? Not that I imagine most people would charge their Lord Solar across the field, even though that might be funny once.

Battleline Warlords aren't a thing.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
How many things can they name "Pariah Nexus'

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A lot, but before long they are going to run out of different things to name it as and then have to loop around, that's when the real confusion starts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Assessor of Maat posted:

more or less. quoth the blurb alongside their stats:

a 0-1 choice too (as are oblits), so the changes from then to now are quite palpable looking back.

Helpfully (or sinisterly) YT just served me the Codex Compliant ep on the 3rd ed Codex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqP09DaOS2Q&t=404s

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

smug jeebus posted:

How many things can they name "Pariah Nexus'

Not as many things as they name Castellan.

Black Templar Castellan
Cadian Castellan
Kastellax robots
Castellan missile launchers
Knight Castellan

I'm probably missing some.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

Not as many things as they name Castellan.

Black Templar Castellan
Cadian Castellan
Kastellax robots
Castellan missile launchers
Knight Castellan

I'm probably missing some.

Castellan Crowe of the Grey Knights.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh yeah, that is an imperial agents gang with death watch, no grey knights thou.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's an Ordo Xenos team specifically though. So there's a possibility they're still going to be in it as part of the Ordo Malleus.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It makes sense theyre going bananas for pariah nexus because thats where the next big lore fight is happening every single major character in the lore is converging there

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cooked Auto posted:

That's an Ordo Xenos team specifically though. So there's a possibility they're still going to be in it as part of the Ordo Malleus.

Even seems to make it more likely, if you're going to roll in one inquistorial chapter, why not both?

Wouldn't be surprised if Ordo Hereticus got access to Sisters like they did in 5th.

That plus the assassins and Killteam grab bags would put the Inquisition about the size of a full army.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 15, 2024

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I suspect every year/season we'll be getting a new Crusade book and corresponding mission deck. I think this is a pretty good format to explore other theaters of war.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

rantmo posted:

Castellan Crowe of the Grey Knights.

Castellan axes for custodes

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Castellan Cass Tellan of the Castle Inn Space Marines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Castellax cyborg robots from the 30k Mechanicum.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

rantmo posted:

Battleline Warlords aren't a thing.

Fun fact, yes, yes it is, Chaos Knights have the War Dog Stalker, with both Character and Battleline at the same time, so Chaos Knights are gonna have some fun with those.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014

RagnarokZ posted:

Fun fact, yes, yes it is, Chaos Knights have the War Dog Stalker, with both Character and Battleline at the same time, so Chaos Knights are gonna have some fun with those.

Even just having your warlord leading a battleline unit should count, shouldn't it?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Given that taking a secret mission caps your primary at 20 I'm not sure these ever see competitive play, outside Teams strategy for grabbing primary in a bad matchup.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Your primary caps at 20 and you get 20 for doing it so if you succeed you functionally cap your primary at 40, which may or may not be worth it

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Eej posted:

Your primary caps at 20 and you get 20 for doing it so if you succeed you functionally cap your primary at 40, which may or may not be worth it
Yeah, potentially an elite melee army like world eaters the Ork nobz or Custodes would like the table your opponent mission, if it meant they never really had to waste time with units standing in the open on a point and could just take the most optimal route through cover to smash?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Douche Phoenix posted:

Even just having your warlord leading a battleline unit should count, shouldn't it?

If some of the Battleline is still around, sure, they would count, but it's only the character that get's the WARLORD keyword.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

hoiyes posted:

Yeah, potentially an elite melee army like world eaters the Ork nobz or Custodes would like the table your opponent mission, if it meant they never really had to waste time with units standing in the open on a point and could just take the most optimal route through cover to smash?

Getting 50 points is always better than getting 40 points, you'll still probably only gun for the table your opp mission if you're losing the objective game cause if you're tabling from the start then you should also be winning on primary right?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Eej posted:

Getting 50 points is always better than getting 40 points, you'll still probably only gun for the table your opp mission if you're losing the objective game cause if you're tabling from the start then you should also be winning on primary right?
Yeah, and people who aim to win big tournaments want to score as close to 100 as possible so at the top level in singles I can't see them being used there. Which is good design imo - I don't think secret information is good for competitive wargaming, I prefer all the cards on the table from the start, so to speak. It's fun and cool for casual play though, I'd probably always chose one for shits and giggles.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I like the design of these Secret Missions, and particularly how they actually implement Battleline units. I wish all the missions emphasized their role more. But I also agree that games shouldn’t be determined on secret goals with big payouts. It’s probably a good thing that they can’t beat Primary Missions, and will typically act as a Hail Mary.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can probably make a good guess on what the secret mission is based on what your opponents army is and how they're deployed on the table at the end of round 3.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Bought the blood bowl gnome box, I am so hyped to paint some cute animals and silly looking tiny(er) dudes

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

AnEdgelord posted:

I love the Ash Wastes Nomads because they're just the Fremen from Dune as imagined by stoner metalheads

I remember the original Ash Nomads rules that were published in the semi-official Citadel Journal in about... 1998ish? With the gang converted from the Tallarn Desert Raiders guardsmen

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the original lore when they were introduced at the start of 3rd edition was to explain why they weren't in the 2nd edition Codex, because they were kind of a cult unto themselves, cutting around on their jump packs apart from the other traitor command structures, sometimes entering into the service of Chaos Lords here and there. I guess the idea was life in the warp with a jetpack on was so different that they became their own thing. It may have been a minor retcon as they might have previously been saying Astartes jump pack tech hadn't reached widespread use in the Heresy era.

Back in 2nd Edition, there were a few bits of technology which post-dated the Heresy, so CSMs didn't get it. Jump packs hadn't been invented so no assault squads, the assault cannon was too new so their terminators got the Reaper Autocannon instead, no Storm Bolters (combi-weapons only - leave the sustained fire dice at home)... No idea how much of this is still the case

...I feel quite old, now.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

New Found Power posted:

Back in 2nd Edition, there were a few bits of technology which post-dated the Heresy, so CSMs didn't get it. Jump packs hadn't been invented so no assault squads, the assault cannon was too new so their terminators got the Reaper Autocannon instead, no Storm Bolters (combi-weapons only - leave the sustained fire dice at home)... No idea how much of this is still the case

...I feel quite old, now.

Jumps packs have def been retconned,, but the current CSM Terminator box does only have combi-weapons and an autocannon (or heavy flamer)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Super Waffle posted:

Jumps packs have def been retconned,, but the current CSM Terminator box does only have combi-weapons and an autocannon (or heavy flamer)

It does get weird lorewise due to some 30k rules, though - in 30k only the Blood Angels and Imperial Fists have access to assault cannons normally, because they're experimental technology that hasn't spread... unless you take Indomitus terminators (the iconic 40k ones), which suddenly allow any legion to take assault cannons, including traitors. Same deal with storm shields, which none of the traitors have unless they take the same squad. Guess the traitors just threw it all out when they left for the Warp! (And then developed the chaincannon for non-Terminators for whatever reason.)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, CSM not having Storm Bolters or Assault Cannons is still the case.

Of course, this doesn't really make any sense anymore since in current lore only a minority of "current-day" CSM were around pre-heresy, and even those guys would have had ten thousand years to get new guns somewhere.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I really wish some of the 30k tanks would get added to the CSM codex, the same way Custodes/Knights got codex-access to their Forgeworld/30k stuff.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Where are CSM's drop pods GW? They only appear in practically every story involving CSM and are an upgrade sprue away from being part of their range.

This has annoyed me for almost two decades.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure it was/is a forgeworld model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember the explanation being that the higher-tech stuff like land speeders and assault cannons were fussier and higher tech.

That stuff requires more upkeep than Chaos marines could give it (before the dark Mechanicum was a thing,) and had largely broken down or discarded over the 10,000 years since the Heresy.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
To be fair the Indomitus terminators are from a legends pdf and their inclusion (and the rules they have access to) was honestly really weird.

I guess it was to explain the current tusky boi chaos terminators?

Also Assault Cannons and Storm Shields sorta get explained by their users being exclusively loyalist legions, but then drop the ball on the Iron Warriors trademark unit being entire squads of terminators with missile launchers strapped to their backs and then just completely losing that option.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Der Waffle Mous posted:

To be fair the Indomitus terminators are from a legends pdf and their inclusion (and the rules they have access to) was honestly really weird.

I guess it was to explain the current tusky boi chaos terminators?

Also Assault Cannons and Storm Shields sorta get explained by their users being exclusively loyalist legions, but then drop the ball on the Iron Warriors trademark unit being entire squads of terminators with missile launchers strapped to their backs and then just completely losing that option.

Oh yeah, they're a strange thing to have included for 30k at all, I wouldn't have wagered on them showing up until the legends pdf dropped and they were suddenly there. It just puts a weird contradiction in place that's harder to justify away than usual.
Tyrants being brought to 40k would be very funny, especially if they retained their relative power level from 30k. Who needs daemon engines when you can just wipe out 10-15 marines a turn from a full squad? (New AP system would make them less absurd, but the thought is still funny.) Unfortunately seems like GW tends to forget about everything that's not daemon engines and obliterators for IW, at least from where I'm sitting. Would actually be very neat to see what's happened to the Iron Circle in the last 10,000 years (even if it's almost certainly "daemon engines" or "destroyed"), come to think of it...

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure it was/is a forgeworld model.

Dreadclaws were supposed to be a heavier variant CSM had access to but it was never their main drop pod. Forgeworld made the heavy drop pod but GW never got around to making the regular one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah, figured it was just the regular one.

Since they don't have a drop pod model otherwise. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

SkyeAuroline posted:

Would actually be very neat to see what's happened to the Iron Circle in the last 10,000 years (even if it's almost certainly "daemon engines" or "destroyed"), come to think of it...
Probably similar to whatever Perturabo has ended up as. Plus 10,000 years of him tinkering on them in his spare time.

Daemon Prince Peter Turbo and his merry band of daemon prince constructs would be a pretty sweet kit.