Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

BonHair posted:

I vaguely remember the alcohol shelves in supermarkets being locked on Sundays during my childhood, which also feels quite silly for no benefit (assuming you know how to stock up on beer).

This is true
I remember the first sunday after the rules changed, I went to the store to buy a six-pack and found myself in line behind two cops.

It felt almost electric to be so obviously doing something heretofore illegal, even if it was a bullshit illegality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

Driving long distances for alcohol seems like something that could have negative consequences.

I vaguely remember the alcohol shelves in supermarkets being locked on Sundays during my childhood, which also feels quite silly for no benefit (assuming you know how to stock up on beer).

Significant swaths of Europe do this too, although it's often highly specific to certain cities or regions. Lausanne for instance enacted like a "no alcohol sales after 7pm in any store" a few years ago, which means even the train station and gas station grocery stores have to lock their beer aisle. They also mandated sometime around 2015 that the independent Asian grocers shut on Sunday, whereas previously they could set their own hours between something like 7am-11pm every day.

TBH I also love Sunday opening hours for grocery stores, at least in the morning is fine. In Zurich I was pretty close to a main train station, but in Lausanne it was loving awful after the forced closure of Asian grocers, since the regular grocery stores already close absurdly early. If I realized at 6:01pm on a Saturday that I needed a stick of butter or three eggs? I'd have to go find my street-parked car god knows where, then drive 15 minutes to a gas station, to get a stick of butter or an egg.

I don't think anyone needs to buy an H&M t-shirt on a Sunday, but groceries are pretty fundamental? And it's not like it's trampling on worker's rights; food service is open on Sunday and those people don't even get paid extra for Sunday work. At least grocery store workers get 1.5x or 2x on Sundays for the few in major train stations and large gas stations that are open.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Hotels, restaurants, spas, public transportation etc. being forced to be open only Monday to Friday 07:00 - 15:00 sounds like an excellent idea that's good for the workers!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Death to the service economy, the true enemy of the proletariát!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Did the giant eagles around you put up a little rope around the liquor aisle on sundays too (even though it was the sub 30 stuff which is all they could sell)
No, store employees did that

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I already have to deal with car mechanics and doctors offices having the exact same operating hours as 80% of the people who would need to use them. I would die if if I had to do this same thing for for every thing I needed to buy at anytime

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

who do you think works there :911:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TinTower posted:

I regret to tell you ET_Californian is at it again:

https://twitter.com/ET_Californian/status/1789341037703364680

Noted bastion of conservatism, *checks notes*, Sheffield.

I love american politics dweebs who will always reach for the callipers before considering literally anything else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

Death to the service economy, the true enemy of the proletariát!

Foxfire_ posted:

Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your temporary crowd barriers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Faline is a "Disney princess"? That seems to rather stretch the definition. At least Nala I can kind of get.

The connection to Bambi and Austria seems rather thin. The original story was written by an Austrian, but it was set in a generic "hilly woods". Similarly, Jasmine and Iraq? Iran would be a much closer fit to Agrabah. Or for Kenya for Nala, Tanzania also there would be an equally good fit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

Faline is a "Disney princess"? That seems to rather stretch the definition. At least Nala I can kind of get.

The connection to Bambi and Austria seems rather thin. The original story was written by an Austrian, but it was set in a generic "hilly woods". Similarly, Jasmine and Iraq? Iran would be a much closer fit to Agrabah. Or for Kenya for Nala, Tanzania also there would be an equally good fit.
Agrabah was apparently supposed to be Baghdad, before the Gulf War happened, so Iraq makes sense. Of course Disney's Alladin is an American retelling of a French translation of a Syrian man's story, which takes places in China, so not being a perfect fit for any real world location seems appropriate.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The oceans should be Ariel-colored.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Anastasia was Disney?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

dublish posted:

Anastasia was Disney?
Nope.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dublish posted:

Anastasia was Disney?

Same way that Leia is.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
What the heck do the asterisks mean?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

If Nala is a disney princess then why isn't Maid Marian?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If Nala is a disney princess then why isn't Maid Marian?
Because her dad isn't a king.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Because her dad isn't a king.

Wait... is Nala Simba's sister?

e: also Mulan's dad wasn't a king, he was just some guy.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Right, but how did actual princesses' dads get to become king? One of their distant ancestors did a shitload of murdering, usually involving some other guy's army. Mulan just skipped the middleman and did that poo poo in-house :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You are a princess from the moment you marry a prince (or princess, but lets not kid ourselves) and until the point where he becomes king and you become queen. I don't remember how the lion king goes, but Nala and Simba probably get "married" before the coronation? I also don't remember Mulan, did she marry a prince?

Edit: Robin Hood was never a price or king, that was his good friend Richard, the guy doing a genocide in the middle east for most of the movie.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BonHair posted:

You are a princess from the moment you marry a prince (or princess, but lets not kid ourselves) and until the point where he becomes king and you become queen. I don't remember how the lion king goes, but Nala and Simba probably get "married" before the coronation? I also don't remember Mulan, did she marry a prince?

Edit: Robin Hood was never a price or king, that was his good friend Richard, the guy doing a genocide in the middle east for most of the movie.

Mulan begins dating Captain Shang at the end of the first one and marries him in the second. He's promoted to general but isn't royalty

EDIT: My guess is one asterisk on that chart means "not technically recognised by disney as a princess" and two is "not actually a disney property"? Mulan is part of disney's princess line even though she's not technically one in her film.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 16, 2024

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

Belle wasn't a princess and the beast wasn't a prince.

I just don't think this disney princess map is very good!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Belle wasn't a princess and the beast wasn't a prince.

I just don't think this disney princess map is very good!

He was though, the first sentence of the film is "Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young prince lived in a shining castle."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The most obvious one they left out was Kida. Other than that, there's a lot of female protagonists, and alternately a lot of high-status woman characters, like you could put Yzma on the map.

If you include the Bambi deer, you might as well include that girl in the Jungle Book.

That is why traditionally male lions do not stick around with the pride that they were born in, and Mufasa was a big weird incest pervert.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman posted:

Or for Kenya for Nala, Tanzania also there would be an equally good fit.
I always assumed The Lion King was set in South Africa and an allegory for the struggles of the 80s/90s (as well as being Hamlet with big cats).

There's a warthog

and meerkats

and the main song started in Zulu

so like somewhere north of Pietermaritzburg, Mooi River way.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

and meerkats

Well, only meerkat singular right? I assumed Timon was a Meerkat that escaped from a zoo in Nairobi or Arusha or whatever. Wikipedia says it's set in Tanzania and Kenya, but I don't know if that's like an official Disney statement. The names of the characters are all in Swahili, which would also fit Tanzania and Kenya. Hakuna Matata is also Swahili.

But yeah also it's just a pretty poorly done map with lots of errors, which is the kind of map this thread loves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Possibly, I could have sworn there was a scene where a bunch popped up, but I could have been imagining that though.

There are a bunch of what appear to be springboks in the opening song though

They could be doing the American movie trope of "Africa, a big country" and just throwing all sorts of African animals in there, one of the original drafts was apparently called King of the Jungle before they realized that lions do not live in the jungle.

Coming out about the same time as Mandela's election and the final implementation of the results of the referendum against apartheid, I recall at the time a lot of people did just assume that there was some kind of relation or commentary or just movie studios noticing the place for reasons other than a source of racist diplomat characters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Lion King 1½ was about Timon's backstory coming from a colony of meerkats where he didn't fit in because he wasn't good at digging. It was an okay movie, a rare Disney movie where the protagonist has an intact family unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76zyUFg3Xo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaDkbslGEso

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think you can't include Kida because Atlantis isn't on the map, same as how they left out Princess Leia cause Alderaan isn't pictured. You could include her in Greece as the origin of the myth, but atlantis in the film isn't really modelled on ancient Greece.

I think the ones on the list that seem like the biggest stretch to me (aside from Jade, I can't work out who that is) are Alice, Jane and Mirabel. Alice was on some disney princess merchandise early on, and she's a Princess of Heart in Kingdom Hearts, but going off her main film appearance alone she's definitely not a princess by any technicality. Jade was announced as a disney princess but never actually got any princess merchandise so (which as far as this map is concerned would make her an official disney princess regardless of anything else), but she is the wife of the King of the Jungle, and while normally that might make her Queen of the Jungle, but perhaps The Jungle works like the Kingdom of Jordan or 1940s Belgium and the King's wife remains a princess. Mirabel definitely isn't part of the disney princess line, and she's not part of a royal family and doesn't marry into one, the most you can really say is that she plays the role of a disney princess, and maybe, technically, her family de facto hereditary rulers of a sovereign land so they're a monarchy in all but name?

Falian is being counted because Bambi becomes Great Prince of the Forest at the end of his film.

Asha and Raya are missing from the map but it may have been made before their films.

I think the reason the Lion King is being listed as Kenya is because the film-makers explicitly cited the geography of Kenya as the inspiration for the film.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That half-second thought of "huh, it's pretty blank on the East side... oh, right..

Alaska like a reverse population density map.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Zesty posted:

That half-second thought of "huh, it's pretty blank on the East side... oh, right..

Loving the useless zoom in on NYC as if it were different from the surrounding areas.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lion King is mainly Hamlet but it's also partly Henry IV with Pumba and Timon as Falstaff (Fallstaves?). They're primarily Rosencrantz and Guildenstern but there's a dash of Falstaff in there.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Zesty posted:

What’s that region in North Carolina?

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
There are places in NC with bilingual signage in English and Cherokee. I don’t know the specific history, but it’s cool that it exists.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well the good news is she wasn't that popular with them to begin with

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

e: also Mulan's dad wasn't a king, he was just some guy.

No, Nala married a king, a lot of "princesses" aren't actually a princess but do have some official royal title. Mulan is 100% not any sort of royalty, but given how good she is with a sword I'm not going to tell her "well, actually."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

DTurtle posted:

What’s that region in North Carolina?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee,_North_Carolina

quote:

It is the capital of the federally recognized Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, one of three recognized Cherokee tribes and the only one in North Carolina.

It's right up against Smoky Mountains National Park, and it's gorgeous in the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Air Skwirl posted:

No, Nala married a king, a lot of "princesses" aren't actually a princess but do have some official royal title. Mulan is 100% not any sort of royalty, but given how good she is with a sword I'm not going to tell her "well, actually."

I want to see a poll on how many men think that they could defeat Mulan in a swordfight.