Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

BiggerBoat posted:

Why are so many people lining up to swear loyalty to this loving idiot?

I think he controls or influences a lot of the money going to R campaigns now, through his own PACs, through control of the national Republican party, and through local dingbat parties.
And there were, what, 7 Republican house members who voted to impeach Trump, and none of them are still in office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tatsuta Age posted:

they want to be one of the ones allowed to keep their necks when he wins in november

It doesn't matter if they are loyal to him or not. It only matters if their destruction benefits him. Trump shows loyalty to no one. And they should know this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Michael Cohen really knows who he is and has no shame about it.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Lammasu posted:

It doesn't matter if they are loyal to him or not. It only matters if their destruction benefits him. Trump shows loyalty to no one. And they should know this.
How many more thousands of years do you think it'll take before people start to figure out that intentionally giving the worst people power to accomplish your goals doesn't go well

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Islamic Shock posted:

How many more thousands of years do you think it'll take before people start to figure out that intentionally giving the worst people power to accomplish your goals doesn't go well

Instructions unclear, working on finding a worse person to defuse the current worst person.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Angry_Ed posted:

And be absolutely 100% upfront about it no less

Was probably a bad idea to enlist the help of noted idiot Tommy Tuberville though

"I am here to actively participate in the furtherance of a crime."

I continue to be amazed that they don't even try to hide their criminal behavior. Put the reporter on the stand,amd then put Tunerville on the stand.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Tucker was mysteriously let go right after.

That was such a weird firing too.

Vanity Fair released a hatchet piece shortly after the firing. There were years worth of allegations in that piece that all could have gotten him fired in a normal corporate setting. that piece felt like it was set up by Fox to make it look like the firing had been a long time coming, and wasnt part of the settlement or a reaction to it.

Just years of bullshit they’d been sitting on, including people describing Murdoch as always having his people’s back….until he didn’t. And all this came about a year after Tucker was in a Zuckerberg_eating_toast.gif-esque media blitz. Remember where he was sitting in his bespoke wood shop in an Orvis flannel shirt wasting hundreds of dollars of lumber on an etsy plan for a birdhouse? That guy was figuring out how much of his daddy’s money he’d have to spend to buy a political career.

Tucker was a guy so stupid his family wanted him to get into journalism because the CIA didn’t want him. He got his start in news by lying about being an expert on the OJ Simpson trial and getting a job with CNN. He leveraged his family’s wealth and his ability to mask his racist inclinations to move up in the news world, even surviving an on air garroting by Jon Stewart in the process.

I can’t imagine how insufferable he was to work with or under. He’s a real deal, in the flesh white supremacist who was born with a billion in his bank account. gently caress sean Hannity and all but there’s definitely an alternate universe where he’s the second largest jet ski and water sports salesman in the tri county area and voted for Obama in 2008. Carlson was peddling this poo poo on cspan call in shows in the mid 90s.

He probably believed he was too powerful for even Fox News to touch, and thought if they did fire him he’d become “more powerful than you can imagine.” How long after his firing did he wait to reach out to Musk?

I feel like humanity dodged a real bullet on him. Hope he finds joy ranting about trans athletes to an audience of hundreds while rereading biographies of Nixon written after he lost his race for the California governorship.

And I’ll take a 5 for 5 (it’s a 2 for 6 now) sit, thank you.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
When I look at people like Tucker I think of the job I had with an average white people turnover rate of one week after hiring (drat near entirely Mexicans who were willing to put up with that poo poo for years) and I think he's exactly the kind of gently caress who would suffer considerably more psychological damage doing that for a month than any duration in solitary confinement

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Islamic Shock posted:

Surely making this art school flunk out couldn't have any long-term negative consequences.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also the worst people are inexplicably the ones who are most motivated and attracted to leadership positions, sooo..

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Bible posted:

Although that's no guarantee either.

Help him or hurt him, Trump will roll over anyone who happens to be in the way of... whatever it is he thinks he's doing. If you hurt him, he'll probably take revenge. If you help him, he won't remember your name or face and will just steamroll you anyway. It's incredible that his supporters still don't see that. He doesn't even know who they are, and doesn't care.

They're the best, most wonderful people.

Then they're very disloyal losers and coffee boys

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

:lol:

Trump appeals gag order in New York “hush money” trial

quote:

Former President Donald Trump is seeking to have New York's highest court intervene in his fight over a gag order that has seen him fined $10,000 and threatened with jail for violating a ban on commenting about witnesses, jurors and others connected to his hush money criminal trial.

The former president's lawyers filed a notice of appeal Wednesday, a day after the state's mid-level appellate court refused his request to lift or modify the restrictions. The filing was listed on a court docket, but the document itself was sealed and not available.

Trump presidential campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung said it's a request for the state's Court of Appeals to take up the matter.

"President Trump has filed a notice to appeal the unconstitutional and un-American gag order imposed by conflicted Judge Juan Merchan in the lawless Manhattan DA case," Cheung said in a statement.

"The threat to throw the 45th President of the United States and the leading candidate in the 2024 presidential election in jail for exercising his First Amendment rights is a Third World authoritarian tactic typical of Crooked Joe Biden and his comrades," Cheung said.

A five-judge panel of the mid-level appeals court, the Appellate Division of the state's trial court, ruled Tuesday that Merchan "properly determined" that Trump's public statements "posed a significant threat to the integrity of the testimony of witnesses and potential witnesses in this case as well."

"We find that Justice Merchan properly weighed petitioner's First Amendment Rights against the court's historical commitment to ensuring the fair administration of justice in criminal cases, and the right of persons related or tangentially related to the criminal proceedings from being free from threats, intimidation, harassment, and harm," the ruling said.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

The Bible posted:

Although that's no guarantee either.

Help him or hurt him, Trump will roll over anyone who happens to be in the way of... whatever it is he thinks he's doing. If you hurt him, he'll probably take revenge. If you help him, he won't remember your name or face and will just steamroll you anyway. It's incredible that his supporters still don't see that. He doesn't even know who they are, and doesn't care.

Most hilariously exemplified by his continued dangling of pardons for the Jan. 6 convicts when he could have loving pardoned them before he left office but didn't.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

FizFashizzle posted:

And I’ll take a 5 for 5 (it’s a 2 for 6 now) sit, thank you.

THANKS OBAMA

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Looks like Trump brought noted intellectual heavyweights Matt Gaetz and Lauren Boebert to be his mouthpieces today. Good God.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

And be absolutely 100% upfront about it no less

Was probably a bad idea to enlist the help of noted idiot Tommy Tuberville though

The funny thing is that he almost certainly had someone in his legal team suggest the idea to him Congress members have the speech and debate clause as a shield to keep the judge from raking them over the coals for this and asking them if Trump put them up to it.

Then tubberville just says it anyways because he is the orange tabby of human beings.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FizFashizzle posted:

That was such a weird firing too.
I feel like humanity dodged a real bullet on him. Hope he finds joy ranting about trans athletes to an audience of hundreds while rereading biographies of Nixon written after he lost his race for the California governorship.
when trump was ramping up i had a brother who was a contrarian. nothing was smarter than to say "i disagree *sniff*". and one of the many things he would never accept was "deplatforming works"
lol no" he would say, looking down his enlightened centrist nose at me, "they'll be even MORE popular now! you see how their merch sales went up by 10% for the first week of being banned?? and you shouldn't punch nazis, richard spenser will be back and stronger than ever"
"just get rid of the assholes" works 99% of the time and has throughout history

selec
Sep 6, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

when trump was ramping up i had a brother who was a contrarian. nothing was smarter than to say "i disagree *sniff*". and one of the many things he would never accept was "deplatforming works"
lol no" he would say, looking down his enlightened centrist nose at me, "they'll be even MORE popular now! you see how their merch sales went up by 10% for the first week of being banned?? and you shouldn't punch nazis, richard spenser will be back and stronger than ever"

How’s his crypto doing

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

InsertPotPun posted:

Thats a lot of words to just say your brother is an idiot

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Lammasu posted:

They won't because right wing politics hinges entirely on a lack of and disdain for empathy. Every single chud could never imagine that THEY would suffer that kind of fate because it necessitates believing misfortunes that happen to others could very well happen to them.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1791135962279596097

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

InsertPotPun posted:

If you have this sort of personal connection with Koos, I'd encourage you to really lean on him on this prior to the next feedback thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

InsertPotPun posted:

after world war 2 in germany, when the nazis were all removed and anyone left was long dead,
Hahahano. Tons of prominent Nazis, including prominent Nazi doctors, lived untroubled lives, some of them serving in later governments.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Why are so many people lining up to swear loyalty to this loving idiot?

It's a chance to be in on the ground floor of a new autocracy, your family will be oligarch-rich for generations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The people lining up have no convictions/beliefs and are just power hungry sycophants. They would line up for anyone that they think will give them a bit of power. It isn't really more complicated than that. They think Trump will give them the power they crave (even if he won't) so they will suck up to him regardless of what he does.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You need to performatively support Trump to do a Republican campaign for office now

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hahahano. Tons of prominent Nazis, including prominent Nazi doctors, lived untroubled lives, some of them serving in later governments.

poo poo the US government gave Nazi scientists and engineers and stuff sweet heart deals to come to the US and live out their lives without trouble. Operation Paperclip.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sarcastro posted:

Most hilariously exemplified by his continued dangling of pardons for the Jan. 6 convicts when he could have loving pardoned them before he left office but didn't.

How many of them had even been charged by the time he left office?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

bird food bathtub posted:

poo poo the US government gave Nazi scientists and engineers and stuff sweet heart deals to come to the US and live out their lives without trouble. Operation Paperclip.

As did the Soviets! Fortunately, our Nazi scientists were better than their Nazi scientists :smug:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The trick was to be a lower 2nd tier or lower Nazi. Shity enough to be a leading Nazi, but low key enough to not make the Nuremberg list. That way you just get to keep on keeping on with a promotion and a redesign on your political flag. Of course that was just for the foolish Germans. Italian and Japanese fascists got a way different restructuring deal.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

How many of them had even been charged by the time he left office?

It doesn't really matter. He could have blanket pardoned everyone involved.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gyges posted:

The trick was to be a lower 2nd tier or lower Nazi. Shity enough to be a leading Nazi, but low key enough to not make the Nuremberg list. That way you just get to keep on keeping on with a promotion and a redesign on your political flag. Of course that was just for the foolish Germans. Italian and Japanese fascists got a way different restructuring deal.

Yeah, like this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobusuke_Kishi

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

A lot of people talk about Siberian prison camps, but imagine living in Arizona in the 1940s.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bankrupt Mayor Launches Bizarre Coffee Venture as He’s Crippled by $148M Debt

quote:

Rudy Giuliani, a former New York mayor, Trump lawyer, and criminal defendant, has launched a coffee sales venture called “Rudy.Coffee” as he grapples with bankruptcy and debt of $148m. The company offers three styles of coffee beans, with the first 100 bags signed by Giuliani and set to begin shipping in June. The bags feature tag lines such as “fighting for justice,” “enjoying life,” and “America’s mayor.” While Trump has chosen to sell sneakers and bibles to cover his legal fees, Giuliani’s former lawyer is selling three coffee types: “bold,” “morning,” and decaf. The bags weigh two pounds each and can be purchased for $29.99.

The site includes a message from Giuliani himself, stating that he has moved at a fast pace and has had many different roles in life, but the one constant thing has been a good cup of coffee, which has now proven to have health benefits. TV doctor Maria Ryan, Giuliani’s girlfriend, also posted an ad for the coffee on X on Tuesday.

The judge in charge of Giuliani’s bankruptcy case said that he was “disturbed” that so little progress had been achieved in sorting out his finances. On Tuesday, the judge blocked Giuliani from appealing a $148m defamation judgment against him. The former NY mayor declared bankruptcy in December after being ordered to pay the judgment sum to two election workers after he pushed a baseless conspiracy theory regarding their part in the 2020 election. He has subsequently missed deadlines to file financial disclosures.

Attorneys for Giuliani said that work is in progress to bring in cash but did not specify details on Tuesday. A lawyer also said that his multimillion-dollar Manhattan apartment would soon be up for sale. They also said that problems have been cleared up and required financial filings will be made. Several people allege that Giuliani owes them money.

In addition to his coffee venture, Giuliani has been indicted for his alleged part in a 2020 election interference plot in Arizona, but prosecutors say he’s nowhere to be found.

:coffee: :morning:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine coffee.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sounds like Cohen got caught in a lie today about a phone call. He got shredded by the defense and it looks real bad.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/takeaways-trump-trial-michael-cohen-thursday/index.html

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm shocked that the guy who was convicted for lying under oath lied under oath.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sounds like Cohen got caught in a lie today about a phone call. He got shredded by the defense and it looks real bad.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/takeaways-trump-trial-michael-cohen-thursday/index.html

Feels more like the defense hammering the one incredibly niche gotcha they could find. Cohen is talking about calls from six years ago, it'd be weirder if he wasn't slightly mixing up his recollections.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

The people lining up have no convictions/beliefs and are just power hungry sycophants. They would line up for anyone that they think will give them a bit of power. It isn't really more complicated than that. They think Trump will give them the power they crave (even if he won't) so they will suck up to him regardless of what he does.

Except he fucks over every single god damned person that does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm not a law talking guy but as an idiot on the internet that probably has more in common with a rando jurist, I don't see how it shreds the prosecution. Would like to know more though.