Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm pro-nuclear power, but very much anti-nuclear power in Australia.

There's no way this sorry sack of cunts could be trusted to safely operate a nuclear power plant, no matter how well designed and safe they are now - which, to be sure, is very.

They'd either cut every corner, hide every failure because it would make the minister look bad if anything got out, or stock the upper levels of control of the station with bootlicking goons who'd run it into the ground. All while Dutton petitions to change the laws so they can bury waste in children's playgrounds in poor suburbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Save 40 bill by gutting the public service so you can spend 80 bil on contractors.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Sounds like for all Dutton's fart huffing about cutting permanent migration the net overseas migration is going to remain about the same.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Seeing as you can't say it anymore, are these emojis 🏞️ 🌊 antisemitic?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
if people interpret them to be antisemitic then they probably interpret this that way one too 🍉

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 45 hours!)

this poo poo is incredibly loving stupid and monstrous and it is getting more and more stupid and monstrous every day and i am choking on my own horrified contempt. if that makes me a kapo then gently caress it

random but related, omar sakr's genocide suite will go down as some of the finest poetry this country has ever produced and i am deeply sorry that zionists are trying to ruin his life

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 17, 2024

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i keep trying to post intelligently about this subject and i just can't because at this point we are all insane condemned spirits gibbering in hell

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

from the river to the sea, palestine will be free

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
🏞️ 2️⃣ 🌊

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
A food industry heavyweight says Australians are ‘profit shaming’ a sector in crisis.

I'm genuinely struggling to come up with a response to this more coherent than "get hosed you pack of dog cunts".

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

cant believe ch7 have gone woke

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
From the Flinders River to the Arafura sea, North Queensland will be free (from Crocs)

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Israel is toast

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gay picnic defence posted:

Sounds like for all Dutton's fart huffing about cutting permanent migration from non-white countries the net overseas migration is going to remain about the same.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Breetai posted:

A food industry heavyweight says Australians are ‘profit shaming’ a sector in crisis.

I'm genuinely struggling to come up with a response to this more coherent than "get hosed you pack of dog cunts".

I get so loving angry with dog cunts like these appropriating the language of mental health and acceptance to justify their outright evil bullshit.

Anyone who genuinely uses a term like "profit shaming" should be fired into the sun.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I missed this somehow, but no surprises Albo from government housing has grown up into a loving landlord.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-16/albanese-tenant-blindisded-eviction-notice-rental-cost-of-living/103854966

Gosh, I wonder why this oval office had to be dragged screaming and kicking by the Greens into doing *anything* about housing affordability.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hooman posted:

I missed this somehow, but no surprises Albo from government housing has grown up into a loving landlord.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-16/albanese-tenant-blindisded-eviction-notice-rental-cost-of-living/103854966

Gosh, I wonder why this oval office had to be dragged screaming and kicking by the Greens into doing *anything* about housing affordability.

Albanese also made a gaff on Hack where he said he also knew how hard it was to be a young person growing up in social housing with free university while the cost of housing to wages was more reasonable.

Absolutely tone deaf poo poo

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

it's funny how "social housing!" is still accepted as a cultural touchstone for doing it tough when so many disadvantaged people nowadays would give their right arm for a chance at getting into social housing. it's so far out of reach for most that it might as well be a luxury good.

incidentally, some people who grew up in social housing in sydney in the 80s/90s ended up with a huge advantage once they were given ownership. i know several people who sold a single housing unit they'd lived in for forty years and were able to buy two houses in a non-sydney locality for the price. it was all about being in the right time at the right place during that brief shining window of opportunity when the system was accidentally working to lift people up, and albo reaped the benefits of that too.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

...so did the budget actually have any courage at all to change anything fundamentally (wrt the housing crisis, cost of living, ...) or are we going to keep heading the way we're headed but just throw a little money to provide a temporary reprieve (for some at least)?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

$300 for power bills! And the usual idiots are crying for means testing.

...so no

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SecretOfSteel posted:

...so did the budget actually have any courage at all to change anything fundamentally (wrt the housing crisis, cost of living, ...) or are we going to keep heading the way we're headed but just throw a little money to provide a temporary reprieve (for some at least)?

Nothing of substance in the budget really.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i heard that some group were bitching about the 300 bucks for power bills and that they shouldn't increase the minimum wage as much because of it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lol

"We need to be in a surplus!"

"Okay, we're in a surplus can we spend money now?"

" ...no"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The budget has a structural deficit that won't be fixed for ages. Don't stress out, you'll get your huge headline deficits.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

The budget has a structural deficit that won't be fixed for ages. Don't stress out, you'll get your huge headline deficits.

But enough about our rents and mortgages.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

$300 for power bills! And the usual idiots are crying for means testing.

...so no

The day after this was announced TasPower declared they were seeking to increase power costs by 15%.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

from the river to the sea, palestine will be free

gently caress the cunts who quiver hearing it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 19, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nutsak posted:

The day after this was announced TasPower declared they were seeking to increase power costs by 15%.

Not privatising power generation is the best decision a state can make.

West Coast, Best Coast.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://x.com/BlaktruthBeck/status/1791700433561612385

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Our backwards nation of pig loving yokels are charging people for generating clean energy. Truly our anuses have grown to goatse-like proportions from taking it up the rear end from corpo interests.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Rooftop solar is now a problem for the grid, causing voltage and stability issues. The grid needs upgrading to allow more rooftop solar to be added. As the grid owners are legislated to receive a regulated return on investment, they will recoup the cost of this from somewhere and slugging the people who are benefitting/going to benefit seems fair to me. I do think that grids should be operated by governments as a not-for-profit service like health care, education etc, but that argument was lost long ago.

Ultimately it's a small cost. If you're currently earning a feed in tariff (FIT) of say 6c per kw/h, this will be reduced by around 1 or 2 cents for generation during the middle of the day and increased by a similar amount if you generate early in the morning or late in the afternoon. As always the best option is to utilise all of your generation yourself. Or if you don't like the price you're receiving, don't sell to the grid and curtail your generation. It will help the economic case for load shifting with batteries (or hopefully vehicle-to-grid) but the numbers don't quite stack up yet.

It does seem backwards but the alternative (apart from removing regulated return) is that all consumers foot the bill of upgrading the grid so that people wealthy enough to install panels on their free standing home can do so.

One of the other side effects of the massive expansion of roof top solar is that it is eating into the financial viability of large scale grid solar which is significantly more efficient. I'm a fan of more solar on roof tops and large scale, but we are starting to see some of the challenges that will need to be addressed as we decarbonise.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Rooftop solar is now a problem for the grid, causing voltage and stability issues. The grid needs upgrading to allow more rooftop solar to be added. As the grid owners are legislated to receive a regulated return on investment, they will recoup the cost of this from somewhere and slugging the people who are benefitting/going to benefit seems fair to me. I do think that grids should be operated by governments as a not-for-profit service like health care, education etc, but that argument was lost long ago.

Ultimately it's a small cost. If you're currently earning a feed in tariff (FIT) of say 6c per kw/h, this will be reduced by around 1 or 2 cents for generation during the middle of the day and increased by a similar amount if you generate early in the morning or late in the afternoon. As always the best option is to utilise all of your generation yourself. Or if you don't like the price you're receiving, don't sell to the grid and curtail your generation. It will help the economic case for load shifting with batteries (or hopefully vehicle-to-grid) but the numbers don't quite stack up yet.

It does seem backwards but the alternative (apart from removing regulated return) is that all consumers foot the bill of upgrading the grid so that people wealthy enough to install panels on their free standing home can do so.

One of the other side effects of the massive expansion of roof top solar is that it is eating into the financial viability of large scale grid solar which is significantly more efficient. I'm a fan of more solar on roof tops and large scale, but we are starting to see some of the challenges that will need to be addressed as we decarbonise.

Bolded the part people should be mad about. Because that's the actually loving dumb part.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sure am glad that the government does pick winners, like legislating profit for companies, that would be madness

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Well as the grid is a natural monopoly, the regulated return essentially puts a cap on profits. If it wasn't regulated, the private owners could charge whatever they want, knowing that there is no competition.

Return the grid to public ownership. Although even the state owned grid companies still seek to maximise their return as it's an effective form of arms length taxation for the states.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can't you just put your rooftop solar into a battery these days?

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So it shifts the costs to those wealthy enough to install solar panels, but not to those wealthy enough to afford a battery? Given the current high costs of household batteries, this just seems like a massive gently caress you to people trying to be responsible.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Well as the grid is a natural monopoly, the regulated return essentially puts a cap on profits. If it wasn't regulated, the private owners could charge whatever they want, knowing that there is no competition.

Return the grid to public ownership. Although even the state owned grid companies still seek to maximise their return as it's an effective form of arms length taxation for the states.

The real gridshitters were the privitisations we made along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Nationalise all utilities, upgrade public infrastructure by effectively taxing super profit industries and closing tax avoidance loopholes.