Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

https://x.com/jamesmelville/status/1790264763206742112?s=46&t=48WuxJzhl6QogQUktl94fA
save me bill gates please block out the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is the back story for the matrix

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
A full-scale nuclear war could lead to a "nuclear winter," with a substantial drop in global temperatures persisting for months or even years. Estimates vary, but some models have suggested potential temperature drops ranging from several degrees Celsius to tens of degrees Celsius, depending on the scale of the conflict.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
mad cow is back on da menu boys

do wonder when (not if), we'll detect chronic wasting disease in humans. i give it 2030

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ah yes, 1000s of planes flying, forever - easy. We don't really know what the impact will be in different regions. And if we stop, the sudden cessation turbo flips the system back to whatever it was going to be all along.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Xaris posted:

mad cow is back on da menu boys

do wonder when (not if), we'll detect chronic wasting disease in humans. i give it 2030

May have happened faster than expected.

https://www.neurology.org/doi/10.1212/WNL.0000000000204407 posted:

Two Hunters from the Same Lodge Afflicted with Sporadic CJD: Is Chronic Wasting Disease to Blame?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Please tell me this is from a movie and also which movie tia

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HazCat posted:

Please tell me this is from a movie and also which movie tia

Animatrix, Second Renaissance part 2

also has this bit of fire in it

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Your flesh is a relic; a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Your flesh is a relic; a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it.

that's what the nice massage lady said to me

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

As I read that post I was like, "Guess that means tomorrow", and lol

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

wow can’t win with you people. first you complain that it’s getting too hot so we got rid of the sun and now you are whinging that “you need the sun to sustain life actually”. make up your minds losers

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I personally have always felt the sun was a bit too bright

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pingui posted:

If it makes y'all feel any better the proteins can be taken up by plant roots

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4449294/

And deer basically live in corn fields around here for a good part of the year. Particularly after harvest, eating the leftovers, but they spend time foraging year round

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dokapon Findom posted:

I personally have always felt the sun was a bit too bright

It was fine back when it was yellow light
when they replaced it with white LEDs in the 2000s though, whew

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
We should bring the deer inside, where economic activity occurs

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

If it makes y'all feel any better the proteins can be taken up by plant roots

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4449294/

And deer basically live in corn fields around here for a good part of the year. Particularly after harvest, eating the leftovers, but they spend time foraging year round

Mad Corn Disease... :ohdear:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Animatrix, Second Renaissance

the best matrix movie

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Animatrix, Second Renaissance part 2

also has this bit of fire in it

Animatrix was way better than it had any right to be

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ah yes, Gladis, the well known orca stay behind network

threads convergin again

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I drove from Vermont to Rochester NY last week and we passed some fields of what intuitively looked like "agriculture gone wrong", yellowing twisted fields that looked oddly familar.

When my spouse commented on the second set of fields like this, it clicked with me, and I said "we're not looking at neglected fields, this is what Round Up is supposed to do. Somewhere under all that crispy fried looking hell poo poo, are a bunch of stupidly-expensive seeds sprouting some stupidly-expensive bespoke crop.

It looks like the (dying) fields from Idiocracy, so as a culture we really do seem to be all in on recreating that movie both as figuratively and literally as possible. Mike Judge, Saint & Prophet.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Anyway CWD isn't worth worrying about unless you hunt until the CJD rate crosses the million case threshold because nothing will be considered about it before then lmao. loving COVID destroyed my vague faith in the US government

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
hey babe

wake up

new hansen email just dropped

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2024/MayEmail.2024.05.16.pdf

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I'm happy for you tho

Or sorry that happened

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Microplastics posted:

I'm happy for you tho

Or sorry that happened

Most important bit is that we're more than likely at 1.5C irrespective of El Niño. Other quality stuff in there though. Good read.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmao so this has a big section speculating that the reason for the huge jump in global temperatures since 2010 has been the reduction of human aerosol emissions and models underestimating their impacts on global warming and it's just lol, lmao

That graph slaps though

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

That graph always reminds of the piss tape... a hot stream of accelerated warming shooting out

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

piss graph is real :geoduck:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
GISSSS

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

There are already real-world examples of particulate pollution causing localized climate impacts. Not only will this not work, but I'd give it better than 50/50 odds that it ends with someone trying to or threatening to shoot the planes down.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Neil Stevenson's termination shock is not great but pretty okay and about this kind of nonsense

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

There are already real-world examples of particulate pollution causing localized climate impacts. Not only will this not work, but I'd give it better than 50/50 odds that it ends with someone trying to or threatening to shoot the planes down.

especially given how that emails talks about how aerosols have a non-linear effect

quote:

We interpret acceleration of warming since 2010 to be a consequence of decreasing aerosols, with a significant contribution from reduction of ship aerosols due to the strict 2020 emission limit imposed by the IMO (International Maritime Organization). Another recent social media comment is that reduction of ship emissions is negligible compared to emission reductions by China. That comment misses the point. It is well known that ship emissions are a tiny part of total anthropogenic emissions and of emission changes, but ships emit into relatively pristine ocean air and the aerosol effect is nonlinear. The inadvertent experiment provided by the IMO emission limit is a great opportunity to improve understanding of aerosol and cloud physics.

Any aerosol injection will have to happen on a global scale, and lmao at the climate impact of flying planes into the mid pacific to inject aerosols into the atmosphere. Actually you know what gently caress it it'll be great for the Hawaiian and Samoan economies

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
gonna start a company that uses solar-powered zeppelins to spray sulfur aerosols

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

gonna start a company that uses solar-powered zeppelins to spray sulfur aerosols

gonna start a company that employs a fleet of ships to spray sulfur aerosols into the pristine ocean air where they will have the greatest effect

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gonna start a company that pretends to remove carbon from the atmosphere

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SixteenShells posted:

pass

Kal posted:

gonna start a company that employs a fleet of ships to spray sulfur aerosols into the pristine ocean air where they will have the greatest effect

pass

smoobles posted:

gonna start a company that pretends to remove carbon from the atmosphere

NOW I'm seeing a solid investment opportunity with incredible margins, take my money sir!!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

what if we strap a bomb to a spaceship and fire it at the sun like in the movie sunshine, except the bomb is made from cool and refreshing shaved ice

cillian murphy still has to deliver it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
once again i am pitching LEO bombs to disburse semi-permanent reflective particles above the atmosphere, where they belong

no upkeep, no dirty airplanes, just a long lasting reflective blanket around the world keeping humans inside the atmosphere, where they belong